Author Topic: Has it Come to This ?  (Read 5068 times)

colporteur

Has it Come to This ?
« on: August 11, 2014, 06:03:51 PM »
 Famous comedian and actor Robin Williams is dead at 63 of suspected suicide after suffering from severe depression. Our former pastor's wife said on face-book that this is so sad because the man brought such "joy" to people's lives. "Joy" is not the word I would have chosen to describe his effect on people. While suicide is always sad what saddens me more is the pastor's wife's idea of what brings joy to people . I do not wish to put down someone who has died, and apparently tragically, or the pastor's wife, but how can the wife of a man of the cloth consider a man dressing like a woman and presenting a comedy routine as making people joyful?  The fact that she would feel that way is depressing in itself. Is there no spiritual eyesight ? She  was also physically sick because the Broncos lost the Superbowl. I am so sad for the worldliness that is among our people.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Re: Has it Come to This ?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 07:21:46 PM »
The fact that she would feel that way is depressing in itself.

Cp, I agree that in our church are a lot of people who have not separated themselves from the world and that is where their affection is. Jesus said that where your treasure is so is your heart. To make such statements does indeed show where our affections are. It would seem to me that if we had Jesus in our heart his death would sadden us because while we can not know the heart it would appear that he died without Christ. 

I saw the news about him also today and I took time to read the article. Why? I must admit that in my movie going days he was one of my favorite actors. But what hit me harder was that someone was so depressed that he saw no hope whatsoever and took his life. It is a logical step if you have no hope and no purpose. This pains my heart. However, I guess it should not be much of a surprise as not long ago I was shown (can't remember the source now) a statement by Williams that hinted he believed he was possessed while acting in his roles.

I don't think you'd make such a statement about what is depressing if you had ever fought true depression or knew someone who did. What the pastor's wife said may have been disappointing or maybe even a little discouraging but not depressing. Am I being a little nit-picky or hyper-sensitive to your comment? Maybe... probably! I'm just trying to show a little compassion to those reading who might in the midst of true depression.

We need to be looking to Jesus! He is the solution to the everyone's condition. Whether that is laodicean or the unbeliever.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 07:32:26 PM »
Robin Williams had fame, stardom, money, fans, whatever his fame and money could obtain, he could have. Except peace of mind. Hope. Assurance of a future beyond this life. Those things eluded him for his heart was set on the things of this world. Sadly, when the depression over balanced the fame and money, he saw only one way out, take his own life. The world may be bowing at your feet, praising your power, intellect, fame, or talent, but only a life surrendered to Jesus Christ will give the peace that passes all understanding.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

colporteur

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 07:47:02 PM »
Jim;

"depress"- "to make sad or gloomy.. lower in spirits"  Random House Webster's College Dictionary

I guess I see  the word "depressing" as covering a broad range of emotions anywhere from mild to serious. In my case it causes both an element of sadness and frustration when I  see the blind attitudes of church leadership. I did not intend on offending with a word.

carls365

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 12:48:50 PM »
Robin Williams had fame, stardom, money, fans, whatever his fame and money could obtain, he could have. Except peace of mind. Hope. Assurance of a future beyond this life. Those things eluded him for his heart was set on the things of this world. Sadly, when the depression over balanced the fame and money, he saw only one way out, take his own life. The world may be bowing at your feet, praising your power, intellect, fame, or talent, but only a life surrendered to Jesus Christ will give the peace that passes all understanding.

It's still hard for me to believe he took his life. I guess the thought keeps lingering in my mind because he lived, as the crow flies, one mile from me. I met him on the street once carrying his kid on his shoulders and walking down one of the avenues just like any other "normal" person would. No Rolls Royce, just a Toyota Land Cruiser and wore regular well worn clothes. He didn't have that stage personality always making fun and joking, just talked in a pleasant voice and gave you his time. It was hard to believe here's the guy that owns several huge, many millions of dollars houses in the most exclusive neighborhoods and knows all the "rich and famous" of the world.

I had a decent regard for him. But one day I saw one of his stand up routines and he was swearing up a storm, terrible. I had lowered respect for him ever since.

I truly wish he would be saved. Only the Lord knows the real Robin Williams.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 03:44:43 PM »
I did not intend on offending with a word.

None take on my part and I know that you didn't intend to offend. I was just trying to be maybe a little over-cautious due to the nature of Mr. Williams death. More than likely some will read this thread who have the same issues that Robin Williams had and I want show that we have some understanding and compassion.

Now I will apologize for hijacking this thread. I did not mean to turn this into a thread about Robin Williams and/or depression. I understand your concern about how attached the some of the members of our church are to the world. This is why we have the issues that we see in our churches since these same members are who make up the church itself.

As time and life go on I'm becoming more and more convinced that we don't spend enough time looking at Jesus and His cross. We all too often look at the church's problems too much. I'm not saying that we should ignore the problems or be cowardly and ignore them like they aren't there. Issues need to be dealt with since if they are left unchecked will lead others astray. I just wish that there were more talk of Christ and His goodness and testimonies about He is doing in our lives. The world and the church need courageous yet humble and kind men and women. Ok.. I'm off my soap box now.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

colporteur

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 05:02:02 PM »

Satan tangles us up with necessary evils. For instance, I would rather talk about missionary work and I do. However, the WO issue is not going away any time soon. If we do not talk about it and stand against it, it will come in like a blizzard. The same with Spiritual Formation and such. In some ways its like going on  vacation and getting a flat tire. Who wants to stop and focus on fixing the tire  but to do otherwise is make for a  very unproductive trip. Maybe we could incorporate more about Jesus in our discussion on those troubling topics.

Perhaps the compromising in our churches have also slowed our speech about Jesus. That's ALL they talk about but they generally do so with a sugar daddy twist. We must be careful that we are not simply reactionary. If we are we are still being worked over.

Cop

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 06:21:08 PM »
"The world, who act as though there were no God, absorbed in selfish pursuits, will soon experience sudden destruction, and shall not escape. Many continue in the careless gratification of self until they become so disgusted with life that they kill themselves. Dancing and carousing, drinking and smoking, indulging their animal passions, they go as an ox to the slaughter. Satan is working with all his art and enchantments to keep men marching blindly onward until the Lord arises out of His place to punish the inhabitants of earth for their iniquities, when the earth shall disclose her blood and no more cover her slain. The whole world appears to be in the march to death."—Manuscript 139, 1903.{Ev 26}

"If it were true that the souls of all men passed directly to heaven at the hour of dissolution, then we might well covet death rather than life. Many have been led by this belief to put an end to their existence. When overwhelmed with trouble, perplexity, and disappointment, it seems an easy thing to break the brittle thread of life and soar away into the bliss of the eternal world."{GC 539}
My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me....That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."
— Stonewall Jackson

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 08:22:43 PM »
Somber quotes Cop. Very somber.

So my question is this... What are you and I and anyone else reading doing to rescue these people from their self inflicted wounds? The devil is luring them on to their ruin hardly giving them a break to stop and think and when they do they are tempted to think it's too late for them and there is no hope. :( 

Cop

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 11:12:30 PM »
When I was working, I went out on so many suicide calls that I could not even guess at the number. Some succeeded in carrying it out, some did not. Some lived and were horribly disfigured, some severely handicapped, and some used innocent persons to help them die by driving a vehicle head-on into another, or committed suicide by cop. From my experience, these people are usually very self centered and selfish. They place their feelings and needs above those of family and friends around them and believe they have no hope to cope with their problems.

The ones that lived with minor injuries, I was able to talk with and attempt to lead them to the Savior. I've had many friends in LE take their own lives and since they were trained in taking a life, always succeeded. When I see the signs of a possible suicide among them, I spend a lot of time with them, sometimes staying all day and night, talking it out. That is what several of my friends did for me when I came to that point. Due to my health, this is the only way today that I can attempt to help such people.
My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me....That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."
— Stonewall Jackson

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 07:58:46 PM »
When I see the signs of a possible suicide among them, I spend a lot of time with them, sometimes staying all day and night, talking it out. That is what several of my friends did for me when I came to that point. Due to my health, this is the only way today that I can attempt to help such people.

Cop, I hope you don't think I was picking on you in my last question. I was asking the question more aimed at myself than anyone. I just wanted people to think about those around them who are suffering and they need out help even if they don't realize how selfish their actions are. It is wonderful to hear what you've and do for your friends when they are trouble. What a horrible place to be to think there is no hope.

Larry Lyons

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 11:35:17 PM »
I don't want to burden anyone with "war stories" but in Psych Emergency Services we dealt with suicidal patients on almost a daily basis. I agree that suicide is often a hostile and selfish act directed at others, as strange as that might sound. And sometimes it seems as if demons are urging them on.

I recall a disturbing incident that happened when I took a phone call from a man who told me he was in his bathroom with a towel wrapped around his head to prevent making a mess, for his wife to clean up. (She was in bed asleep after he had given her some valium), and he planned to shoot himself with a rifle for which he had made a special bullet to do the job. He would not give me his name, or tell me where he was. He told me about the special bullet with a special load that he had made, and talked about his drug problems (cocaine and painkillers), and that the final straw was that they only thing he cared about was his dog who he had had for years and was old and sick and had disappeared a few days ago. He was certain the dog had died.  I remembered he had called a few months before and he had a business of manufacturing special bullets for hunters and gun enthusiasts.  As we talked, he got a call interrupt signal from the operator and he took another call. When I told another nurse about the case, she told me that she knew who it was. He was a friend of her boyfriend who lived in a different county in the Sierra foothills. She got his address and I called the sheriff dept. in our county and they notified the sheriff dept in his county and they sent someone over to the house. He refused to answer the door and was still on the phone. Finally, the sheriff deputies had their dispatch tell the operator to interrupt his call as an emergency. As the dispatch woman talked with the man, he shot and killed himself.  The following day I called and talked to the dispatch person who was obviously quite traumatized from the experience.

I think it was a horrible and needless thing for him to do. He had a cocaine problem, and if he was coming down off of a run, the intense depression will clear fairly quickly. Most people can deal with the low grade depression that follows the initial more intense depression that many have. And the greater irony is that his dog came home the next day. Suicide is never the answer to anything, and can have negative effects that are felt through generations.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 07:21:34 AM »
However, I guess it should not be much of a surprise as not long ago I was shown (can't remember the source now) a statement by Williams that hinted he believed he was possessed while acting in his roles.

When the mind is under the control of mind altering drugs,  they give opportunity for Satan to enter and take control (possession). The man used cocaine when he began acting, according to news reports, and had just come out of a rehab program. My guess is that he was still under the influence of prescribed drug for depression. We have heard of the side effects of these mind altering drugs.

If only young people knew what they were doing when they used any mind altering drug. Satan is destroying multitudes through them.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Cop

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 10:31:31 AM »
Cop, I hope you don't think I was picking on you in my last question.

No, my brother, it never entered my mind. I was just making a comment.
— Stonewall Jackson