Author Topic: Kale ?  (Read 13724 times)

colporteur

Re: Kale ?
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2017, 07:24:12 PM »

I use a solar powered electric fence and then bait the wire with peanut butter. The idea is that they touch their wet nose on the wire and leave town. All is needed is one or two wires. 
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2017, 10:05:11 PM »
That's called "entrapment".  I like it!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

colporteur

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2017, 06:13:50 AM »
That's called "entrapment".  I like it!

Yes, and it is much better than the deer dying from lead poisoning. They soon learn that this is not the Olive Garden but a place to circle around and leave alone. Cut cheap aluminum pie tins from the dollar store into 4" sections and glob on a lump of the cheapest peanut but you can find and twist the foil onto the wire leaving one or both ends open.  One about every 10-15 feet is enough as the deer will seek out the peanut butter. Re do the baits about once a month as it may get moldly with rain and humidity. It is the cheapest way I have found and has worked for me. Otherwise it is a trick to get enough wires and in the right places so they do not jump the wire. It helps too if the deer have not already made it a habit of entering your garden although since the bait draws them to the wire I suspect that they learn quickly. One wire about 30 inches high is enough but I put a second wire below it help steer the coons up higher. The solar powered fencer is about twice as expensive but soon pays for itself with no need of a battery or electricity and it is very portable and convenient. Probably the better the zap the more effective so I purchased a pretty stout fencer for about $290. It is supposed to be effective for several miles and I only have a circumference of about 320 feet.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Dorine

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2020, 01:21:11 PM »
We have had several frosts now and the temperatures are close to 32 degrees at night. Our gardens are finished all except the kale and parsley. They are more hardy and beautiful than all summer and have taken on a sweet flavour from the frost. The interesting thing is that the deer that chewed it down in the spring are not at all interested in it now. We also have a jack rabbit that visits every day and we thought finished off our kale in the spring but it bounced back and the rabbit is leaving it alone. We are enjoying kale in salads, stir fries and smoothies.

We finally installed an 8 ft. fence around our main garden and the deer just look longingly through it. On the outside gardens we hang Irish Spring bars of soap that we collect from the dollar store all year long. The deer do not like that and walk on by. We are planting another garden in another area for the rabbits and deer of kale, beans, beets and lettuces. Maybe next year we and God's creatures will all be happy. We'll see. I'm looking forward to a winter rest from the garden. It was a very good year for us and we are truly thankful to God for the bounty we were able to freeze, dry and can.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2020, 07:44:40 PM »
A deer garden!  :)    Will you have to expand it every year? I have found that the grapes I left ungarded has attracted more deer this year. I think the few from last year told their extended family and friends to come and see how good they are. :) After eating the grapes they destroyed my newly planted fruit trees. The neighbor took his fence and gate down. I had the all fenced except between me and my neighbor.  We had a four foot fence between us, and it was just a little hop for the deer.  Not sure my neighbor is going to like a deer fence in his front yard (his house faces my orchard).   :(

Yes, Dorine, the kale is much happier now that there is less heat.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2020, 04:49:40 AM »
Richard I do hope your thoughts do not come true. I had not thought of that but it is very possible that we could attract even more wild life.  :(

It sounds like you have a much bigger garden area than we do. We are on a swamp with all clay soil so we have to build raised beds. It works well and the vegetables seem to love it. Our fenced in garden is only 32ft. X 32ft. We have several smaller raised beds scattered around the property. We do not have an orchard as much as we would love to. No doubt the deer would love it to.

I'm sure your neighbour will appreciate your consideration of his view. Have you ever thought about installing a few lines of electrical wires along the side that doesn't have a fence? We thought about it here but my son-in-law decided to go with the high fence.

Do you grow Kale year around?
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2020, 08:27:44 PM »
Yes Kale will survive our moderate winters. They need to be well established so the roots can produce leaves. But, the number of leaves is very much reduced in winter.

I have purchased an electrical fence, but have not been able to use it. With all of the fires, I dare not use it, a spark could start a fire. My plan is to wait until all is very wet, then p

ut up a short line. I am hoping that peanut butter on the line will entice that big buck that scraped the cambium off my trees to have a big lick......and never come back for seconds.    :)

No, my garden is about the size of yours. It is fenced by itself in side of the orchard. We had very hot weather and my tomatoes did not do very well. I have clay soil also.  The other orchard area has been covered with chips for about five years, so the trees are doing well if the deer have not injured them. I want to plant a garden there but have not fenced in an area that will protect against the deer. 

Winter is coming tomorrow. We have not had any rain yet, so we look forward to getting some. May have a soft freeze.  Have a blessed Sabbath all!