Author Topic: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 10-2nd Quarter 2014-Christ, the Law and the Covenants  (Read 17436 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Yes. You stated it well.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Thank you, Mimi. It is so important that we not  continue in error on this doctrine. It is not easy, but God will give us grace and wisdom as He has promised.

Friday June 6

Further Study: For more information on this week's topic, read Ellen G. White, "The Covenant of Grace," pp. 131-137, in God's Amazing Grace.

"This same covenant was renewed to Abraham in the promise, "In thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed." Gen. 22:18. This promise pointed to Christ. So Abraham understood it, and he trusted in Christ for the forgiveness of sins. It was this faith that was accounted unto him for righteousness. The covenant with Abraham also maintained the authority of God's law. . . .

"The Abrahamic covenant was ratified by the blood of Christ, and it is called the "second," or "new," covenant, because the blood by which it was sealed was shed after the blood of the first covenant. . . .

"The covenant of grace is not a new truth, for it existed in the mind of God from all eternity. This is why it is called the everlasting covenant. . . .

"There is hope for us only as we come under the Abrahamic covenant, which is the covenant of grace by faith in Christ Jesus."-Ellen G. White, The Faith I Live By, p. 75.

Discussion Questions:

What do Exodus 31:16 and Isaiah 56:4-6 suggest about the importance of the Sabbath to the covenant? See also Ezekiel 20. It is often thought that the Old Covenant, the one established with Abraham, was a covenant of works, in contrast to the New Covenant, which is of grace. Why is this idea wrong? What Bible verses can you find that prove it was always a covenant of grace? Why must it always have been by grace and never by works?

The "old covenant" was not established with Abraham. Paul used the term and it was in reference to the covenant made at Sinai 400 years after Abraham. It was "obey and live". It was a covenant of works. There was no grace. "Obey and live". We have shared this already, but because of the great error being taught, we must do so again. "Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth [is] mine: And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These  are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel. And Moses came and called for the elders of the people, and laid before their faces all these words which the LORD commanded him. And all the people answered together, and said, All that the LORD hath spoken we will do. And Moses returned the words of the people unto the LORD." Exodus 19:5-8.This is what Paul calls the "old covenant". It was a not a covenant of grace. God knew the people who had just come out of slavery had no knowledge that the sacrificial lamb represented their Savior who would come and die for their sins.

Though Ephesians 1 doesn't use the phrase, "everlasting covenant," in what way does this phrase help us to understand why it has been called that?

God promised that He would never again destroy the world by a flood, a promise symbolized by the rainbow. If, as some suggest, Noah's flood were only local, what does that make of God's promise? Why is the idea that the Flood was not global a major assault on Bible truth? (After all, look at all the local floods that have happened since then. If Noah's flood were only local, what would these other local floods do to God's covenant promise?)

This is all  very true, but before we are in a position to argue with the evangelicals, we must rightly divide the Word in regards to the old covenant. Are we in agreement that the old covenant is not the Abrahamic covenant, that it is the covenant made at Sinai? And do we see that the old covenant was not a covenant of grace, but merely "obey and live"? That the new covenant is the same as the oldest covenant, the everlasting covenant? If not, let us resolve the issue so that we can intelligently approach those who believe the law was done away with based on Paul's teaching of the old covenant. While we know that they are wrong, we must meet their arguments with the truth, not with error. God will bless our understanding as we seek to glorify Him.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
I try faithfully to teach from Scripture. It is to be our guide. God has given us a lessor light to point us to the Bible. Our Sabbath School lesson often quotes the Spirit of Prophecy. Because the lesson has erred regarding the covenants, I am going to share the truth in the best manner that I can, from the book Patriarchs and Prophets. If you are having difficulty seeing the covenants, please take the time to read this inspired statement. I have bolded that which is most important to our discussion.

Another compact--called in Scripture the "old" covenant--was formed between God and Israel at Sinai, and was then ratified by the blood of a sacrifice. The Abrahamic covenant was ratified by the blood of Christ, and it is called the "second," or "new," covenant, because the blood by which it was sealed was shed after the blood of the first covenant. That the new covenant was valid in the days of Abraham is evident from the fact that it was then confirmed both by the promise and by the oath of God--the "two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie." Hebrews 6:18. 
     But if the Abrahamic covenant contained the promise of redemption, why was another covenant formed at Sinai? In their bondage the people had to a great extent lost the knowledge of God and of the principles of the Abrahamic covenant. In delivering them from Egypt, God sought to reveal to them His power and His mercy, that they might be led to love and trust Him. He brought them down to the Red Sea--where, pursued by the Egyptians, escape seemed impossible--that they might realize their utter helplessness, their need of divine aid; and then He wrought deliverance for them. Thus they were filled with love and gratitude to God and with confidence in His power to help them. He had bound them to Himself as their deliverer from temporal bondage. 
     But there was a still greater truth to be impressed upon their minds. Living in the midst of idolatry and corruption, they had no true conception of the holiness of God, of the exceeding sinfulness of their own hearts, their utter inability, in themselves, to render obedience to God's law, and their need of a Saviour. All this they must be taught.
    God brought them to Sinai; He manifested His glory; He gave them His law, with the promise of great blessings on condition of obedience: "If ye will obey My voice indeed, and keep My covenant, then . . . ye shall be unto Me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation." Exodus 19:5, 6. The people did not realize the sinfulness of their own hearts, and that without Christ it was impossible for them to keep God's law; and they readily entered into covenant with God. Feeling that they were able to establish their own righteousness, they declared, "All that the Lord hath said will we do, and be obedient." Exodus 24:7. They had witnessed the proclamation of the law in awful majesty, and had trembled with terror before the mount; and yet only a few weeks passed before they broke their covenant with God, and bowed down to worship a graven image. They could not hope for the favor of God through a covenant which they had broken; and now, seeing their sinfulness and their need of pardon, they were brought to feel their need of the Saviour revealed in the Abrahamic covenant and shadowed forth in the sacrificial offerings. Now by faith and love they were bound to God as their deliverer from the bondage of sin. Now they were prepared to appreciate the blessings of the new covenant. 
     The terms of the "old covenant" were, Obey and live: "If a man do, he shall even live in them" (Ezekiel 20:11; Leviticus 18:5); but "cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them." Deuteronomy 27:26. The "new covenant" was established upon "better promises"--the promise of forgiveness of sins and of the grace of God to renew the heart and bring it into harmony with the principles of God's law. "This shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts. . . . I will forgive their iniquity, and will remember their sin no more." Jeremiah 31:33, 34. 
    The same law that was engraved upon the tables of stone is written by the Holy Spirit upon the tables of the heart. Instead of going about to establish our own righteousness we accept the righteousness of Christ. His blood atones for our sins. His obedience is accepted for us. Then the heart renewed by the Holy Spirit will bring forth "the fruits of the Spirit." Through the grace of Christ we shall live in obedience to the law of God written upon our hearts. Having the Spirit of Christ, we shall walk even as He walked. Through the prophet He declared of Himself, "I delight to do Thy will, O My God: yea, Thy law is within My heart." Psalm 40:8. And when among men He said, "The Father hath not left Me alone; for I do always those things that please Him." John 8:29.
     The apostle Paul clearly presents the relation between faith and the law under the new covenant. He says: "Being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." "Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law." "For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh"--it could not justify man, because in his sinful nature he could not keep the law--"God sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: that the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." Romans 5:1; 3:31; 8:3, 4.  PP 373.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Having prayerfully read the above, you will not only have a correct understanding of the covenants, but also a correct understanding of conversion. The great deception ought to have been unveiled. Of course you have to believe the statement to be inspired. If not, then you will have to believe the Scripture shared to be inspired. If you have questions, please ask so that we may be able to come into unity on this most important subject. We have a wonderful opportunity around the world to share this important truth in our Sabbath School classes. Have a blessed Sabbath Day.

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
Either we are reconciled with God or we are not. Either we are filled with His Spirit or we are not. Either we are in a converted state or we are not. Either we are partakers of His divine nature or we are not. Either we are keeping His commandments or we are not. Either we have broken the covenant or have not (today). Either God has the heart or He does not. Either His law is written upon my heart at the moment or it is not. Therefore, in answer to the question, if Christ is indeed sitting on the throne of my heart now, then I am abiding in heaven as He sits upon His heavenly throne. Do you agree?

Many are losing the right way, in consequence of thinking that they must climb to heaven, that they must do something to merit the favor of God. They seek to make themselves better by their own unaided efforts. This they can never accomplish. Christ has made the way by dying our Sacrifice, by living our Example, by becoming our great High Priest. He declares, “I am the way, the truth, and the life” (John 14:6). If by any effort of our own we could advance one step toward the ladder, the words of Christ would not be true. But when we accept Christ, good works will appear as fruitful evidence that we are in the way of life, that Christ is our way, and that we are treading the true path that leads to heaven. Faith and Works, p. 102.1

...Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work. John 5:17

Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you...? 2 Corinthians 13:5
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Amen, Glen. If we have Christ, we have life. If we have not His Spirit, we are none  of His. "Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of His." Romans 8:9

Glen

God's grace...revealed a crucified Savior by which all may be not only forgiven, but transformed in nature.

Amen and Amen, Brother Richard; "Grace not only frees us from the condemnation of the law, but it enables us to keep the law in the way that we are called to do."

Christ’s life represents a perfect manhood. Just that which you may be, He was in human nature. 
S.D.A. Bible Commentary Vol. 5, p. 1124.2

...we are to serve Him in the nature we have, that has been redeemed by the Son of God...
Selected Messages Book 3, p. 140.5

I like to think that it was God's Grace; His Spirit, in the life of Enoch; of Caleb; of Joshua, that caused the transformation in the lives of these men. What of those mentioned in Hebrews Chapter 11 that were before the death of Christ, the Lamb of God, slain on Earth?
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Curt

...we are to serve Him in the nature we have, that has been redeemed by the Son of God...

Were it not for Grace how would this even be possible? Thank God for Grace
FAITH - As God's blessed sons & daughters we are to attempt the impossible to the extent that we will fail unless God steps in.   Keep the faith

Al

God's grace...revealed a crucified Savior by which all may be not only forgiven, but transformed in nature.

Amen and Amen, Brother Richard; "Grace not only frees us from the condemnation of the law, but it enables us to keep the law in the way that we are called to do."

Christ’s life represents a perfect manhood. Just that which you may be, He was in human nature. 
S.D.A. Bible Commentary Vol. 5, p. 1124.2

I like to think that it was God's Grace; His Spirit, in the life of Enoch; of Caleb; of Joshua, that caused the transformation in the lives of these men. What of those mentioned in Hebrews Chapter 11 that were before the death of Christ, the Lamb of God, slain on Earth?

A couple of weeks back I looked up grace in the 1828 Webster's Dictionary. Here is the definition  "Favorable influence of God; divine influence or the influence of the spirit, in renewing the heart and restraining from sin." This goes along with what is being said here.
Jesus looked upon the distressed and heart burdened, those whose hopes were blighted, and who with earthly joys were seeking to quiet the longing of the soul, and He invited all to find rest in Him.  {DA 328.3}

Glen

As we comprehend just what this grace means to us, there will be such an awakening of God's power within His people as has not been witnessed since the tongues of fire rested upon the disciples after Christ's ascension. I love the following quote; notice the blending of -every word of God; -Christ, (who IS the Word); -the Holy Spirit, the redeeming grace of truth (remember that Christ declared that He is "the Truth") in the soul. Sister White mentions that the impartation of the Holy Spirit is the impartation of the life of Christ ( Sons and Daughters of God, p. 33.4); "the inward working of the Spirit". Here's the quote I think so very essential that we, individually, must understand:

It is essential to live by every word of God, else our old nature will constantly reassert itself. It is the Holy Spirit, the redeeming grace of truth in the soul, that makes the followers of Christ one with one another, and one with God. He alone can expel enmity, envy, and unbelief. He sanctifies the entire affections. He restores the willing, desirous soul from the power of Satan unto God. This is the power of grace. It is a divine power. Under its influence there is a change from the old habits, customs, and practices which, when cherished, separate the soul from God; and the work of sanctification goes on in the soul, constantly progressing and enlarging.
The Review and Herald, October 12, 1897.

This is the only context, I believe, that the comment by the Author of the Quarterly fits so well: "Grace not only frees us from the condemnation of the law, but it enables us to keep the law in the way that we are called to do.", and is the only way (Christ said He IS the Way) that the Believer IS enabled to keep the law in the way that we are called to do. Justification AND Sanctification are both given; and received by the Sinner, through the grace that is in Jesus; that, of the Father. They are ONE; and, so we may be, in them; full of grace.

Romans 3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
Romans 5:21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

John 1:17 ...grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 1:
8 Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence;
9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:

1 Peter 1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

Curt

The two questions at the end of today's lesson are very important.

"Remember how badly Peter messed up; and yet, look at the grace extended to him. How can we learn (1) to extend that kind of grace to others and (2) to accept grace for ourselves when we mess up?"

Only when we "mess up" in our lives and experience the forgiving grace and mercy of our Father can we really understand it, it cannot be taught, it must truly be experienced
FAITH - As God's blessed sons & daughters we are to attempt the impossible to the extent that we will fail unless God steps in.   Keep the faith

Glen

Just so we establish the fact that "messing up" is positively NOT required for us to learn more, to understand grace.

... the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries: 1 Peter 4:3

The Holy Spirit, the grace of truth in the soul, can keep us from sinning. IF any man sin, we have an Advocate; however, in the Anti-typical Day of Atonement we must have His abiding presence in our soul, the Eyesalve, for discernment of the approach of temptation to sin, that we may shun it. We must have HIS faith in His own creative Word to accomplish that which He speaks. His LIFE; work/s in us, will be judged righteous, Christ's character imputed and imparted, will alone give us entrance into Heaven. Not only is Christ our Judge, our Advocate; He becomes us, to the extent that Paul could say,

Philippians 1:21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Al

The two questions at the end of today's lesson are very important.

"Remember how badly Peter messed up; and yet, look at the grace extended to him. How can we learn (1) to extend that kind of grace to others and (2) to accept grace for ourselves when we mess up?"

Only when we "mess up" in our lives and experience the forgiving grace and mercy of our Father can we really understand it, it cannot be taught, it must truly be experienced
Curt,

Thanks for sharing this. We  need to speak much more of things that have to do with our personal experience. I could not help but think of the story of the prodigal son who messed up big time. And when he finally came to himself he decided to go home. The father saw him from distance and ran out to him and embraced him and then had a party to celebrate his return. How did this effect the heart of his son? I am sure that his heart swelled up with gratitude and praise. When we fall into sin Satan is always there to let us know that we have gone to far or that we are a disgrace to God. Satan does not want us to turn our hearts again toward God but God is reaching out a loving hand to save. Knowing that we can get up and strive again and that God is there to embrace us should empress us with his marvelous love.

This is also the answer to your first question we are to extend the same love towards others that God extends to each of us.

Jesus looked upon the distressed and heart burdened, those whose hopes were blighted, and who with earthly joys were seeking to quiet the longing of the soul, and He invited all to find rest in Him.  {DA 328.3}

Glen

We need to speak much more of things that have to do with our personal experience. I could not help but think of the story of the prodigal son who messed up big time. And when he finally came to himself he decided to go home...

Al, we may certainly rejoice because of God's forgiving grace. You mention speaking "much more of things that have to do with our personal experience." I am finding that as I surrender to His will, God is able to keep me from falling; character traits, which had held me in bondage to sin/s most of my life, are melting away, and Satan can only stand by, astonished, his kingdom trembling at my exultant praises. With an indwelling Savior, Christ's declaration becomes my own, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me... Matthew 16:23 -By the GRACE of God, Christ himself working in me to will and to do of His good pleasure, I will one day ascend with Him, having the same testimony that ...the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me. John 14:30

Ephesians 1:9 Having made known...to (me) the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:

Philippians 2:13 For it is God which worketh in (me) both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

What the Believer finds, in subjecting the will to the Word of God; is, through the impartation of the Holy Spirit, is the very life of Christ in the soul. The prodigal did not have Christ as the Anchor of his soul. There is no record that he was born again BEFORE he dishonored his Dad and left home. Had he been truly born again, he need not have "messed up".

We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not. 1 John 5:18

We need to remember, and provoke others to love and good works; by precept and example (Hebrews 10:24; Titus 2:7), receiving the words of God; more explicitly, the WORD (Christ) himself, to abide within ourselves, that the divine life may constantly flow through and from us, to others.

Unless His words find entrance to the soul, and bring the entire man into subjection to Christ, the human agent will, when tempted and tried, choose to follow his own inclination rather than the ways of the Lord.... Selected Messages Book 2, p. 211.1
(The Prodigal did not have this subjection)

The only condition upon which the freedom of man is possible is that of becoming one with Christ. “The truth shall make you free;” and Christ is the truth. Sin can triumph only by enfeebling the mind, and destroying the liberty of the soul. Subjection to God is restoration to one’s self,—to the true glory and dignity of man.  The Desire of Ages, p. 466.5

Very many who are seeking for happiness will be disappointed in their hopes, because they seek it amiss, and are indulging in sinful tempers and selfish feelings. By neglecting to discharge the little duties and observe the little courtesies of life, they violate the principles on which happiness depends. True happiness is not to be found in self-gratification, but in the path of duty. God desires man to be happy, and for this reason He gave him the precepts of His Law, that in obeying these he might have joy at home and abroad. While he stands in his moral integrity, true to principle, and having the control of all his powers, he cannot be miserable. With its tendrils twined about God, the heart will be full of peace and joy, and the soul will flourish amid unbelief and depravity.  Reflecting Christ, p. 305.4

Kind words, pleasant looks, a cheerful countenance, throw a charm around the Christian that makes his influence almost irresistible. It is the religion of Christ in the heart that causes the words to be gentle, and the demeanor winning, even to those in the humblest walks of life. In forgetfulness of self, in the light and peace and happiness he is constantly bestowing on others, is seen the true dignity of the man. This is a way to gain respect, and extend the sphere of usefulness, which costs but little; and the one who pursues this course will not complain that he does not receive the honor that is his due. (Again; the Prodigal did not have the presence of Christ in his soul) But Bible rules must be written on the heart; Bible rules must be carried into the everyday life.—The Signs of the Times, November 11, 1886.

The root of the tree has a double office to fill. It is to hold fast by its tendrils to the earth, while it takes to itself the nourishment desired. Thus it is with the Christian. When his union with Christ, the parent stalk, is complete, when he feeds upon Him, currents of spiritual strength are given to the branches. Can the leaves of such a branch wither? Never. As long as the soul reaches toward Christ, there is little danger that the leaves will wilt and droop and decay. And the temptations which may come in like a tempest will not uproot him. The true Christian draws his motives of action from his deep love for his Redeemer. His affection for his Master is true and holy. And it is the cheerful, lovable Christian of whom Christ says, “Ye are my witnesses” (Isaiah 43:10)....  The Upward Look, p. 98.4

When souls are converted to God, they become mediums through which a vital current may be communicated for the transformation of the character of many others. Recovered themselves from Satan’s power, they know how to work. Human nature becomes united with the divine nature, Christ lives in the human soul, and acts through all the powers of body, soul, and spirit. From the converted soul, light shines forth to those who are perishing. RH November 12, 1895, par. 7

Al

Glen,

You are very focused on one aspect of the gospel, which is not healthy because it is easy to get out of balance and not see the other aspects of the plan of salvation.  No one is contending with you about overcoming sin. I did not detect anything in Curt's comments that indicated he was making any excuse for sin. He was just stating that when he messes up he is thankful for God's forgiving grace; To realize how much God loves and cares for us and when we fall into sin. God does not treat us with scorn nor does he taunt us by saying "You should have never fallen" This is not God's way.

"We are all fallible, and we need pity, forbearance, kindly consideration, and sympathetic love for those with whom we are connected. We are all unworthy of the love and confidence of God."  {That I May Know Him p. 186}

Glen, is this not true for your own life? When you fall or make mistakes or when sin is revealed to, are you not thankful for God's forgiving grace? You stated that your sins are melting away. This indicates that sins must be revealed as you are growing in grace. They can't melt away without you first knowing them and then forsaking them. Are you not thankful for God's forgiving grace so you can repent and be forgiven?

"We are to grow daily in spiritual loveliness. We shall fail often in our efforts to copy the divine pattern. We shall often have to bow down to weep at the feet of Jesus, because of our shortcomings and mistakes; but we are not to be discouraged; we are to pray more fervently, believe more fully, and try again with more steadfastness to grow into the likeness of our Lord. As we distrust our own power, we shall trust the power of our Redeemer, and render praise to God, who is the health of our countenance, and our God.  {1SM 337.1}

This is another aspect of growing in grace. In your personal experience, do you often weep at the feet of Jesus because of your shortcoming and mistakes? Do you fail in your efforts to copy the divine pattern? "But whatever our defects and short-comings, we should not be discouraged. We must see our sins, and put them away; for Christ cannot abide in a divided heart."  {RH, August 27, 1889 par. 1}

In your reply to Curt you made this statement
messing up is positively NOT a requirement for us to learn more to understand forgiving grace."

I wonder if you would want to reconsider this comment. The only people who need forgiving grace are those who have messed up. Every child of Adam needs God's forgiving grace. "We have all sinned and come short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23 It might be better to have said that those who mess up absolutely need to know and understand the forgiving grace of God.  If anyone needs to learn more about the forgiving grace of God, it is the sinners of whom I am chief.

"Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins." Acts 5:31

As far as the prodigal son, it really does not matter if he was born again or not born again in light of the main point Christ was making. As a church, we do not teach once born again always born again. A person in a saved condition can become discouraged and give up the battle against sin. In the Psalms David prayed for restoration because he had fallen into sin "Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit. Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee." Psalms 51:10-13

David who messed up big time was very thankful for God's forgiving grace. How is it that when a person can committee adultery and then kill a man that he can be freely forgiven? This story gives many a sinner hope that God will also forgive them of their sins. Are we to conclude that David was never a true follower of God before he sinned? David was the prodigal son he left home for a time, then returned, and fell into the arms of a loving God and found forgiveness and the power to strive once again against sin.  What good would it do for us to say he should have never sinned? The fact is he did sin and he was forgiven and yes, his heart was thankful that God extended to him a hand of mercy to such a sinner as himself.

"We know but little of our own hearts and have but little sense of our own need of the mercy of God. This is why we cherish so little of that sweet compassion which Jesus manifests toward us and which we should manifest toward one another. We should remember that our brethren are weak, erring mortals like ourselves." {5T p. 247-8}

"The parables of the lost sheep, the lost coin, and the prodigal son, bring out in distinct lines God's pitying love for those who are straying from Him. Although they have turned away from God, He does not leave them in their misery. He is full of kindness and tender pity toward all who are exposed to the temptations of the artful foe. 
    In the parable of the prodigal son is presented the Lord's dealing with those who have once known the Father's love, but who have allowed the tempter to lead them captive at his will."  {COL 198.2}
 "To give a true representation of the tender, loving, pitying care exercised by His Father, Jesus gave the parable of the prodigal son. Though His children err and stray from Him, if they repent and return, He will receive them with the joy manifested by an earthly father in receiving a long-lost son who in penitence returns."--Manuscript 132, 1902.  {Ev 56.}

"All are fallible, all make mistakes and fall into sin; but if the wrong-doer is willing to see his errors, as they are made plain by the convicting Spirit of God, and in humility of heart will confess them to God and to the brethren, then he may be restored; then the wound that sin has made will be healed. If this course were pursued, there would be in the church much more child-like simplicity and brotherly love, heart beating in unison with heart."  {RH, December 16, 1890 par. 2}  Is Ellen White making an excuse for sin by making this statement or offering hope to those who have fallen into sin? 

Some time back I told a story about a man who was out on the ice and fell through. Several other people saw him and they grabbed a long board and handed into the water to pull him out. But as he struggled the board started to freeze and it became slippery. The man finally yelled out, "Will someone please give me the warm end of the board?" I would like to add another dynamic to this story there is another man standing on the shore yelling out, "You should have never fallen in."

Glen when anyone talks about making mistakes or messing up I get the impression you are saying, "You should never have sinned." It would be better to hand someone the warm end of the board rather than yelling from the shore.

"Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.   Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.  For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself. " Galatians 6:1-3

Glen

Thank you for your words, Brother Al; I will get back to you. You ask a lot of questions. Have a wonderful Sabbath Rest, indicative of your rest in Him that may continue until Christ comes in the clouds, finding you holy and righteous STILL.

Glen

Glen,

You are very focused on one aspect of the gospel, which is not healthy because it is easy to get out of balance and not see the other aspects of the plan of salvation.  No one is contending with you about overcoming sin. I did not detect anything in Curt's comments that indicated he was making any excuse for sin. He was just stating that when he messes up he is thankful for God's forgiving grace; To realize how much God loves and cares for us and when we fall into sin. God does not treat us with scorn nor does he taunt us by saying "You should have never fallen" This is not God's way.

"We are all fallible, and we need pity, forbearance, kindly consideration, and sympathetic love for those with whom we are connected. We are all unworthy of the love and confidence of God."  {That I May Know Him p. 186}

Glen, is this not true for your own life? When you fall or make mistakes or when sin is revealed to, are you not thankful for God's forgiving grace? You stated that your sins are melting away. This indicates that sins must be revealed as you are growing in grace. They can't melt away without you first knowing them and then forsaking them. Are you not thankful for God's forgiving grace so you can repent and be forgiven?

"We are to grow daily in spiritual loveliness. We shall fail often in our efforts to copy the divine pattern. We shall often have to bow down to weep at the feet of Jesus, because of our shortcomings and mistakes; but we are not to be discouraged; we are to pray more fervently, believe more fully, and try again with more steadfastness to grow into the likeness of our Lord. As we distrust our own power, we shall trust the power of our Redeemer, and render praise to God, who is the health of our countenance, and our God.  {1SM 337.1}

This is another aspect of growing in grace. In your personal experience, do you often weep at the feet of Jesus because of your shortcoming and mistakes? Do you fail in your efforts to copy the divine pattern? "But whatever our defects and short-comings, we should not be discouraged. We must see our sins, and put them away; for Christ cannot abide in a divided heart."  {RH, August 27, 1889 par. 1}

In your reply to Curt you made this statement
messing up is positively NOT a requirement for us to learn more to understand forgiving grace."

I wonder if you would want to reconsider this comment. The only people who need forgiving grace are those who have messed up. Every child of Adam needs God's forgiving grace. "We have all sinned and come short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23 It might be better to have said that those who mess up absolutely need to know and understand the forgiving grace of God.  If anyone needs to learn more about the forgiving grace of God, it is the sinners of whom I am chief.

"Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins." Acts 5:31

As far as the prodigal son, it really does not matter if he was born again or not born again in light of the main point Christ was making. As a church, we do not teach once born again always born again. A person in a saved condition can become discouraged and give up the battle against sin. In the Psalms David prayed for restoration because he had fallen into sin "Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit. Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee." Psalms 51:10-13

David who messed up big time was very thankful for God's forgiving grace. How is it that when a person can committee adultery and then kill a man that he can be freely forgiven? This story gives many a sinner hope that God will also forgive them of their sins. Are we to conclude that David was never a true follower of God before he sinned? David was the prodigal son he left home for a time, then returned, and fell into the arms of a loving God and found forgiveness and the power to strive once again against sin.  What good would it do for us to say he should have never sinned? The fact is he did sin and he was forgiven and yes, his heart was thankful that God extended to him a hand of mercy to such a sinner as himself.

"We know but little of our own hearts and have but little sense of our own need of the mercy of God. This is why we cherish so little of that sweet compassion which Jesus manifests toward us and which we should manifest toward one another. We should remember that our brethren are weak, erring mortals like ourselves." {5T p. 247-8}

"The parables of the lost sheep, the lost coin, and the prodigal son, bring out in distinct lines God's pitying love for those who are straying from Him. Although they have turned away from God, He does not leave them in their misery. He is full of kindness and tender pity toward all who are exposed to the temptations of the artful foe. 
    In the parable of the prodigal son is presented the Lord's dealing with those who have once known the Father's love, but who have allowed the tempter to lead them captive at his will."  {COL 198.2}
 "To give a true representation of the tender, loving, pitying care exercised by His Father, Jesus gave the parable of the prodigal son. Though His children err and stray from Him, if they repent and return, He will receive them with the joy manifested by an earthly father in receiving a long-lost son who in penitence returns."--Manuscript 132, 1902.  {Ev 56.}

"All are fallible, all make mistakes and fall into sin; but if the wrong-doer is willing to see his errors, as they are made plain by the convicting Spirit of God, and in humility of heart will confess them to God and to the brethren, then he may be restored; then the wound that sin has made will be healed. If this course were pursued, there would be in the church much more child-like simplicity and brotherly love, heart beating in unison with heart."  {RH, December 16, 1890 par. 2}  Is Ellen White making an excuse for sin by making this statement or offering hope to those who have fallen into sin? 

Some time back I told a story about a man who was out on the ice and fell through. Several other people saw him and they grabbed a long board and handed into the water to pull him out. But as he struggled the board started to freeze and it became slippery. The man finally yelled out, "Will someone please give me the warm end of the board?" I would like to add another dynamic to this story there is another man standing on the shore yelling out, "You should have never fallen in."

Glen when anyone talks about making mistakes or messing up I get the impression you are saying, "You should never have sinned." It would be better to hand someone the warm end of the board rather than yelling from the shore.

"Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.   Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.  For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself. " Galatians 6:1-3

...we make many mistakes in that which we do,...we fail of doing it in the best way...we neglect and leave many things undone because self is not surrendered to God...we are creatures full of vanity and selfishness and self-esteem (and all this God despises), yet notwithstanding our many imperfections He continues to teach us, and commissions us to act a part in His cause.
Manuscript Releases Volume Thirteen 279.01

What focus would God have us contemplate every second of our new life in Christ? Christ; Brethren, Christ alone. There is no imbalance in Christ; we must live over the life of Christ. Why did He tell Mary to "Go and sin no more", after she was caught in adultery? You say that's not God's way, Brother Al. The law requires of the sinner a life of continual obedience; man does not have that to give; unaided. So; if the focus were to be entire dependance upon Christ's grace; not only for forgiveness but power to obey; that, is balance. What did Christ say to the Pharisees according to two of the Bible Prophets?

Matthew 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Luke 11:42 But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

What did Christ tell the paralytic?

John 5:13, 14 ...he that was healed wist not who it was: for Jesus had conveyed himself away, a multitude being in that place.
14 Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.

Was that unhealthy for Jesus to even remind them that they had sinned; that, they shouldn't have? Nor should they continue to?

Al

Hi Glen,

You and I have had this conversation before and it certainly is not my position to try to convince about the main point I was trying to make.  As I stated at the beginning no one is contenting about overcoming. Thanks for your reply.

Glen

Brother Al,

It is imperative; is it not; especially ever since the beginning of the Anti-typical Day of Atonement, that we comprehend that we don't have time to sin!

So; we've had this conversation before. Aye; take heed. Soon there will be no Intercessor, no One to plead our individual case. The secret to no more “when we sin” mentality, is an indwelling Savior. Do I have a problem that we have the promise that if a man sin, we have an Advocate? -Absolutely not. However, God sent His son for a purpose; to save us from our sins; and, from sinning. Can we BE too holy? Would that be an imbalance? No; positively no. The imbalance comes in when a professing Christian continues to fall into sin.

Adam yielded to temptation and as we have the matter of sin and its consequence laid so distinctly before us, we can read from cause to effect and see the greatness of the act is not that which constitutes sin; but the disobedience of God’s expressed will, which is a virtual denial of God, refusing the laws of His government.... S.D.A. Bible Commentary Vol. 1, p. 1083.8

The fall of our first parents broke the golden chain of implicit obedience of the human will to the divine. Obedience has no longer been deemed an absolute necessity. The human agents follow their own imaginations which the Lord said of the inhabitants of the old world was evil and that continually (Manuscript 1, 1892); S.D.A. Bible Commentary Vol. 1, p. 1083.9

Jesus has helped the whole world to an intelligent knowledge of His divine mission and work. He came to represent the character of the Father to our world, and as we study the life, the words, and works of Jesus Christ, we are helped in every way in the education of obedience to God; and as we copy the example He has given us, we are living epistles known and read of all men. We are the living human agencies to represent in character Jesus Christ to the world. Not only did Christ give explicit rules showing how we may become obedient children, but He showed us in His own life and character just how to do those things which are right and acceptable with God, so there is no excuse why we should not do those things which are pleasing in His sight.
Lift Him Up as the Master Teacher, p.169

We are safe if we do the will of our heavenly Father....See the entire dependence of the Son on the Father, was shown in the words “The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do”—mark the implicit obedience in the words—“for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise” (John 5:19). No less entire is to be our dependence on Christ, and no less implicit our obedience. Christ’s words regarding this matter are definite.... The Upward Look, p. 341.2

No one need say that his case is hopeless, that he cannot live the life of a Christian. Ample provision is made by the death of Christ for every soul. Jesus is our ever-present help in time of need. Only call upon Him in faith, and He has promised to hear and answer your petitions. Christian Experience and Teachings of Ellen G. White, p. 190.1

Oh, for living, active, faith! We need it; we must have it, or we shall faint and fail in the day of trial. The darkness that will then rest upon our path must not discourage us, or drive us to despair. It is the veil with which God covers His glory when He comes to impart rich blessings. We should know this by our past experience. In that day when God has a controversy with His people, this experience will be a source of comfort and hope. Christian Experience and Teachings of Ellen G. White, p. 190.2

It is now that we must keep ourselves and our children unspotted from the world. It is now that we must wash our robes of character and make them white in the blood of the Lamb. It is now that we must overcome pride, passion, and spiritual slothfulness. It is now that we must awake, and make determined effort for symmetry of character... Christian Experience and Teachings of Ellen G. White, p. 190.3

You all need a living religion, that you may stand as God’s witnesses, proclaiming to the sick that sin is always followed with suffering; and while combating pain and disease, you should plainly lay before them that which you know to be the real cause, and the remedy—“Cease to sin;” and point them to the sin-pardoning Saviour.— Manuscript 4a, 1885.

You should walk by faith, not by feeling. We do not want a sensational religion; but we want a religion founded on intelligent faith. This faith plants its feet on the eternal rock of God’s Word. Those who walk by faith are all the time seeking for perfection of character by constant obedience to Christ. The Captain of our salvation has given us His orders, and we are to yield implicit obedience; but if we close the Book that reveals His will, and do not inquire, or search, or seek to understand, how can we fulfill its obligation? We shall be found wanting at last, if we pursue this course.... Ye Shall Receive Power, p. 129.3

We are coming to a crisis, and I am in terror for our souls. Why is it that we find men leaving the faith? Are we in a position where we shall know what we believe, and shall not be shaken out? That souls leave the truth should not discourage us in the least, but only make us seek more earnestly for the blessing of God. It is not the education, or the talents, or the position of men, that is to save them. We are to be kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation. Ye Shall Receive Power, p. 129.4

How do you stand before God today? The question is not How will you stand in the day of trouble, or at some future time? but how is it with your soul today? Will you go to work today? We want a personal, individual experience today. Today, we want Christ abiding with us.—The Review and Herald, April 9, 1889; Ye Shall Receive Power, p. 129.5

Glen

Brother Al, thank you for your kind words of admonition. I'm truly sorry that I seem to come across to you as harsh and denunciatory. I'll take your words to heart.

A few thoughts stand out to me regarding your story, Brother Al:
1)
1 Peter 1:
13 ...gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
14 As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:
15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

2) You talk about giving the one who has broken through the ice, the warm end of the board. Why not, then, "give them the Door"? Christ can cause them to walk on water, right; even, icy water? WHEN we let the mind of Christ be in us; WHEN we put on the Lord Jesus Christ; WHEN we submit to Christ, becoming one with HIM as He is one with the Father... -This is the WHEN we need to focus on; not "when we sin", as if it must be an ongoing refrain, as Christians. No; let's give the gift of Christ in us, to those who have fallen (Colossians 1:27):
John 10:
9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
10 ...I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

3) When does Christ give His life for the sheep? Was it before the foundation of the world? Was it at the Cross? Is it at the moment of temptation; imparted through the impartation of the Holy Spirit as the life of Christ in the soul, (the ONLY HOPE of glory) when the tempted, contrite, Believer asks for it, NOT asking amiss, to consume it upon the lusts of the flesh?

Life always shows itself in action. If the heart is living, it will send the lifeblood to every part of the body. Those whose hearts are filled with spiritual life will not need to be urged to reveal this life. The divine life will flow forth from them in rich currents of grace. As they pray, and as they speak, God is glorified.  Reflecting Christ, p. 197.5

4) The ice story breaks down in one aspect, at least: the fact that the one who has fallen through the ice is supposed to stretch, reach out, and lay on the edge of the ice and LET one's clothes freeze to the ice, giving rescuers time to reach them, -even to thus enabling them to resuscitate them if necessary.

5) One thing we know: GOD TOLD US NOT TO WALK ON THE ICE. Just like earthly Fathers, we must be rebuked; sometimes, sternly (Titus 1:19). We must comprehend that HIS BIDDING IS ENABLING, if only we would believe. When I was going through the Baptismal Classes, and the Sabbath just prior to my Baptism as a youth, the Adult SS Teacher exulted that we should praise God for sin, because that is the way we are to know His love. I was sickened to hear it then, and am sickened to hear it, today. We must:

Hebrews 12:
3 ...consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.
4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.
5 And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:
6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

6) Look at this verse again, Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin. Hebrews 12:4, and consider how it ties so nicely with:

Romans 6:
7 ...he that is dead is freed from sin.
8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are...under grace.

7) Why are we so afraid to die? Paul said: For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. Philippians 1: 21 God would have us comprehend that to deny self, take up our cross, and follow our Example, is life eternal, for His presence is in it.

8) I'm certain there were contemporaries of Enoch and Elijah; who, in their day were heralding that "No one is perfect", even as these bright beacons of God's Light; respectively, were translated to heaven without seeing death. There are those alive today, who will be translated when Jesus comes to earth the Second Time. We are privileged to be encouraged to strive to be one of them.

“Ask ye of the Lord rain in the time of the latter rain; so the Lord shall make bright clouds, and give them showers of rain.” “He will cause to come down for you the rain, the former rain, and the latter rain.” In the East the former rain falls at the sowing time. It is necessary in order that the seed may germinate. Under the influence of the fertilizing showers, the tender shoot springs up. The latter rain, falling near the close of the season, ripens the grain and prepares it for the sickle. The Lord employs these operations of nature to represent the work of the Holy Spirit. As the dew and the rain are given first to cause the seed to germinate, and then to ripen the harvest, so the Holy Spirit is given to carry forward, from one stage to another, the process of spiritual growth. The ripening of the grain represents the completion of the work of God’s grace in the soul. By the power of the Holy Spirit the moral image of God is to be perfected in the character. We are to be wholly transformed into the likeness of Christ.

The latter rain, ripening earth’s harvest, represents the spiritual grace that prepares the church for the coming of the Son of man. But unless the former rain has fallen, there will be no life; the green blade will not spring up. Unless the early showers have done their work, the latter rain can bring no seed to perfection. [The Review and Herald, March 2, 1897.]

...Those who come up to every point, and stand every test, and overcome, be the price what it may, have heeded the counsel of the True Witness, and they will receive the latter rain, and thus be fitted for translation. Lift Him Up 375.2