Author Topic: Fourth Quarter--2013--SDA SS LESSON 4--Lessons From the Sanctuary  (Read 21451 times)

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
Re: Fourth Quarter--2013--SDA SS LESSON 4--Lessons From the Sanctuary
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2013, 08:09:49 AM »
Tuesday October 22
What great hope can we take from the promise of salvation “by faith apart from the deeds of the law” (NKJV)?

The promise of salvation "by faith" means that Believers finds LIFE...exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us... Ephesians 3:20 THAT POWER that declares, This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; 17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more. 18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin. 19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus, 20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh... Hebrews 10:16-20 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular. 1 Corinthians 12:27 ...that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh.2 Corinthians 4:11

An indwelling Saviour makes His power our property. The truth becomes our stock in trade. No unrighteousness is seen in the life. We are able to speak words in season to those who know not the truth. Christ’s presence in the heart is a vitalizing power, strengthening the entire being. Testimonies for the Church Volume 7, p. 71.1

The "deeds", or work of the law is to exemplify righteousness; which, subsequently condemns the sinner; for the sinner, having transgressed LOVE, (...love is the fulfilling of the law. Romans 13:10), is not, and cannot be, "justified", for...sin is the transgression of the law.1 John 3:4, and...the wages of sin is death.  Romans 6:23! God says...I will not justify the wicked. Exodus 23:7 The soul that sinneth, it shall die... 21 But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die. 22 All his transgressions that he hath committed, they shall not be mentioned unto him: in his righteousness that he hath done he shall live. 23 Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live? Ezekiel 18:20-23 Enoch...prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him. Jude 1:14, 15

The Law is the transcript of God's character; Christ is the the embodiment of the holy righteous Law of God, the foundation of God's government. The Law isn't "bad". ...the law is light... Proverbs 6:23 ...the wicked... 5 ...know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness... Psalm 82:4, 5

Mankind, since the Fall of Adam and Eve, by choice separated from God's presence, could not "do righteousness", or truly "love" God, and their fellowman. The Sinner cannot exemplify righteousness nor fulfill the Law of God, without an heart surrendered to God. Able uplifted the Law when he brought the Lamb for sacrifice, unlike Cain; thus, Able, in love, condemned Cain, the sinner.

...the time past of our life...have wrought the will of the Gentiles...
Our past life of sin by definition, not being "the deeds of the law", cannot justify us; thus, we need a Saviour, whose faith in His own word accomplishes the will of God, expressly manifest at Creation, and "commemorated" as the Believer "rests" that .
By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth. 9 For he spake, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast. Psalm 33:6, 9 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. Philippians 2:13  So also Christ... 7 ...in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared; 8 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; 9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him... Hebrews 5:5-9 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin; 2 That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God. 3 For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries:Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator. 1 Peter 4:1-3, 19

The law requires a righteous life, a perfect character, and this man has not to give. But Christ, as man, lived a holy life and developed a perfect character. These He offers as a free gift to all who will receive Him. His life stands for the life of men. Thus they have remission of sins that are past. More than this, Christ imbues men with the attributes of God. He builds up the human character after the similitude of the divine character. Thus “the righteousness of the law” is fulfilled in the believer in Christ. Romans 8:4. God can “be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.” Romans 3:26.

...the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
Ephesians 2:
1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Romans 3:
23 ...all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.
27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.
28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Colossians 3:
3 ...ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.
5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:
6 For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:
7 In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.
8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;
10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

Hebrews 4:
1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.
12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.
14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.
15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Glen

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2013, 09:18:46 AM »
Our past life of sin by definition, not being "the deeds of the law", cannot justify us; thus, we need a Saviour, whose faith in His own word accomplishes the will of God, expressly manifest at Creation, and is not merely "commemorated", but is in reality experienced as the Believer "rests" that "rest" that remaineth to the people of God. With Christ dwelling within the Believer (see Colossians 1:27), the testimony of Christ becomes his own, I do always those things that please him. John 8:29 As ...as we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ 14...no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness... Ephesians 4:13, 14
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2013, 12:59:24 PM »
Glen, both of your posts deal with righteousness which Christ imparts and imputes to the repentant believer, but this is not enough for justification. What else is required that one might be justified in having eternal life?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Glen

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2013, 07:26:20 AM »
That's an interesting; and, I think, rather bold declaration (assumption?) for you to make, Richard. How can you think, much less say, that the "...righteousness which Christ ...imputes to the repentant believer...is not enough for justification...."? That's not how my Bible or SOP reads. I'm certain I must be misunderstanding your comment.

-UNLESS, you're including the idea that:
The faith that does not produce good works does not justify the soul. “Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only” (James 2:24). “Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness” (Romans 4:3)....
A New Life (Revival and Beyond), p. 27.3

God shows his love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us. Since, therefore, we are now justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him ("Christ in you, the hope of glory "(see Colossians 1:27) from the wrath of God. Romans 5:8, 9, RSV.
Lift Him Up, p. 242.1

...By obedience they are made partakers of the divine nature. The doing of the living principles of the law of God makes them one with Christ. And He has pledged Himself to raise them up at the last day. Because He lives they will live also. He will raise them up as a part of Himself. Manuscript Releases Volume Twenty-one [Nos. 1501-1598], p. 347.4

Both the death of Christ AND the LIFE of Christ speak of the blood:
...if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life. Romans 5:10 God told Cain, ...the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground. Genesis 4:10 Able uplifted the Law when he brought the Lamb for sacrifice, unlike Cain; thus, Able, in love, condemned Cain, the sinner. Able had the blood, the LIFE, the works, of (God), by faith. (see Revelation 6:9, 10

John 6:
53 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

...It is by receiving the life for us poured out on Calvary’s cross, that we can live the life of holiness... The Desire of Ages, p. 660.4 

Christ must dwell in that man’s heart, just as the blood must be in the body and circulate there as a vitalizing power. I can not on this subject be too urgent. I can not press it home to you too strongly, that you shall not trust in self.—Letter 7, 1886 (April 26, 1886, to J. H. Kellogg).

Every sin must be renounced as the hateful thing that crucified the Lord of life and glory, and the believer must have a progressive experience by continually doing the works of Christ. It is by continual surrender of the will, by continual obedience, that the blessing of justification is retained.
A New Life (Revival and Beyond), p. 27.1

Those who are justified by faith keep the Law of God:
Those who are justified by faith must have a heart to keep the way of the Lord. It is an evidence that a man is not justified by faith when his works do not correspond to his profession. James says, “Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was his faith made perfect?” (James 2:22). A New Life (Revival and Beyond), p. 27.2

...The unconditional pardon of sin never has been, and never will be. Such pardon would show the abandonment of the principles of righteousness, which are the very foundation of the government of God. It would fill the unfallen universe with consternation...
Patriarchs and Prophets, p. 522.2 

Chamu

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2013, 11:44:57 PM »
Thursday October 24

What made the difference for Asaph? What did he see in the sanctuary service that caused him to understand the truth as to why good people suffer and bad people are prospered? Since many in the world and even in the church do not understand, maybe it would be good to study the sanctuary message as did Asaph?  Let us hear from some of our Bible students, what did Asaph find in the sanctuary?

This post might be late but i noticed that we haven't answered this important question. I think every devoted Christian has been tempted to ask WHY does the wicked SEEM to prosper while the righteous are suffering. The lesson attempt to answer this widely shared paradox amongst God’s children.

There is one verse in the bible that speaks clearly to me about the work in the sanctuary.

"What do ye imagine against the Lord? he will make an utter end: affliction shall not rise up the second time." Nahum 1:9

God is currently doing (and Has been doing) a work in the heavenly sanctuary that shall ultimately ensure that affliction shall not rise up the second time.  I think Asaph saw this work of eradicating sin (sin: the root cause of all our problems) in the sanctuary. By faith he understood the true lesson which God intended to teach using the sanctuary. Not only does the sanctuary teach us about  the forgiveness of sin, it also teaches us about the ultimate removal of sin which was shadowed by the day of atonement when the sanctuary was cleansed from sin, pointing to a anti typical when God shall eradicated sin. Asaph understood this (I think).
As the mother watches for the smile of recognition from her little child, which tells of the dawning intelligence, so does Christ watch for the expression of grateful love, which shows that spiritual life is begun in the soul. DA 191.

Glen

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2013, 06:06:08 AM »

What made the difference for Asaph? ...what did Asaph find in the sanctuary?

God is currently doing (and Has been doing) a work in the heavenly sanctuary that shall ultimately ensure that affliction shall not rise up the second time.

-The purpose of the Godhead; Emmanuel, in particular, is to give to His people an experience that they may sing the song of Moses and the Lamb—a song of deliverance. None but the hundred and forty-four thousand can learn that song; for it is the song of their experience—an experience such as no other company have ever had. “These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever He goeth.” These, having been translated from the earth, from among the living, are counted as “the first fruits unto God and to the Lamb.” Revelation 15:2, 3; 14:1-5.—The Great Controversy, 648, 649.

...In his person humanity, inhabited by divinity, was represented to the world... RH August 18, 1896, par. 7

Thus, as we keep our eyes focused on the Lamb, we come to identify with Him. As we take up our cross, following our divine Example, we are to place (ourselves) in harmony with the work of Christ in the heavenly sanctuary, where he is making an atonement for his people. While Christ is cleansing the sanctuary, the worshipers on earth should carefully review their life, and compare their character with the standard of righteousness. As they see their defects, they should seek the aid of the Spirit of God to enable them to have moral strength to resist the temptations of Satan, and to reach the perfection of the standard. They may be victors over the very temptations which seemed too strong for humanity to bear; for the divine power will be combined with their human effort, and Satan cannot overcome them. RH April 8, 1890, par. 3 

...if we consent, He will so identify Himself with our thoughts and aims, so blend our hearts and minds into conformity to His will, that when obeying Him we shall be but carrying out our own impulses. The will, refined and sanctified, will find its highest delight in doing His service. When we know God as it is our privilege to know Him, our life will be a life of continual obedience. Through an appreciation of the character of Christ, through communion with God, sin will become hateful to us.... To Be Like Jesus, p. 31.4

Glen

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2013, 07:01:32 AM »
"I die daily" is the theme of the Sanctuary; humanity covered by divinity; the wood (denoting humanity) covered by gold, (Christ's divinity through His Spirit): Thus, the purpose of the Godhead; Emmanuel, in particular, is to give to His people an experience that they may sing the song of Moses and the Lamb—a song of deliverance. None but the hundred and forty-four thousand can learn that song; for it is the song of their experience—an experience such as no other company have ever had. “These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever He goeth.” These, having been translated from the earth, from among the living, are counted as “the first fruits unto God and to the Lamb.” Revelation 15:2, 3; 14:1-5.—The Great Controversy, 648, 649.

This experience is IN HIM; that which He manifest in the likeness of sinful flesh while here on earth and took IN HIM, to heaven (Ephesians 2:6), even as we are to ...enter with Jesus by faith into the most holy place of the heavenly sanctuary. Early Writings, p. 260.1

...In his person humanity, inhabited by divinity, was represented to the world... RH August 18, 1896, par. 7

Christ's representation, Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. Matthew 1:23 categorically includes the understanding that the Believer is "me with God"; thus, as (I) keep (my) eyes focused on the Lamb, (I) come to identify with Him. As I take up my cross, following my divine Example, I may place (myself) in harmony with the work of Christ in the heavenly sanctuary, where he is making an atonement for (me). While Christ is cleansing the sanctuary, the worshipers on earth should carefully review their life, and compare their character with the standard of righteousness. As they see their defects, they should seek the aid of the Spirit of God to enable them to have moral strength to resist the temptations of Satan, and to reach the perfection of the standard. They may be victors over the very temptations which seemed too strong for humanity to bear; for the divine power will be combined with their human effort, and Satan cannot overcome them. RH April 8, 1890, par. 3 

...if (I) consent, He will so identify Himself with (my) thoughts and aims, so blend (my) heart...and mind...into conformity to His will, that when obeying Him (I) shall be but carrying out (my) own impulses. The will, refined and sanctified, will find its highest delight in doing His service. When (I) know God as it is (my) privilege to know Him, (my) life will be a life of continual obedience. Through an appreciation of the character of Christ, through communion with God, sin will become hateful to (me).... To Be Like Jesus, p. 31.4

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 07:19:37 AM »
That's an interesting; and, I think, rather bold declaration (assumption?) for you to make, Richard. How can you think, much less say, that the "...righteousness which Christ ...imputes to the repentant believer...is not enough for justification...."? That's not how my Bible or SOP reads. I'm certain I must be misunderstanding your comment.

-UNLESS, you're including the idea that:
The faith that does not produce good works does not justify the soul. “Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only” (James 2:24). “Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness” (Romans 4:3)....
A New Life (Revival and Beyond), p. 27.3

God shows his love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us. Since, therefore, we are now justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him ("Christ in you, the hope of glory "(see Colossians 1:27) from the wrath of God. Romans 5:8, 9, RSV.
Lift Him Up, p. 242.1

Amen!  It is not just the righteous character that Christ developed while on this earth that saves the sinner. No, if that were all that was necessary, all would be saved. But, justification of life required the suffering and death of Christ and the acceptance of that sacrifice to be saved.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Glen

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 12:03:51 PM »
...the righteous character that Christ developed while on this earth...saves the sinner. No, if that were all that was necessary, all would be saved. But, justification of life required the suffering and death of Christ and the acceptance of that sacrifice to be saved.

Categorically, YES; "...the righteous character that Christ developed while on this earth...saves the sinner. NO; all will NOT be saved, because not all feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us: Acts 17:27 ...when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. Romans 5:6 It is ONLY ...whosoever believeth in him that shall not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16 ...strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. Matthew 7:14

"...justification of life required the suffering and death of Christ and the acceptance of that sacrifice to be saved..."

...the acceptance of that sacrifice to be saved...":
Justification of life requires the suffering and and death of Christ; and, as the Proud Sinner responds to that sacrifice, that sacrifice becomes factually internalized and personal within the Penitent; thus, ...The natural man (dies), and the new man, Christ Jesus, take(s) possession of the soul... Gods Amazing Grace, p. 226.5

A union with Christ by living faith is enduring; every other union must perish. Christ first chose us, paying an infinite price for our redemption; and the true believer chooses Christ as first and last and best in everything. But this union costs us something. It is a union of utter dependence, to be entered into by a proud being. Messages to Young People, p. 118.1

Romans 6:
3 ...so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death...
4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

It is in dying daily to sin, just as Christ did in the likeness of sinful flesh, that the Penitent chooses to leave the LIGHT (the life of Christ) on in the soul, eschewing evil (1 Peter 3:10-12) by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God... Matthew 4:4 --that the character Christ developed is received as a gift from Him. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. Galatians 3:27 The character the Penitent receives is emulated through "the work" of the faith of the indwelling Savior; "not I, but Christ".

...His life and death bring salvation to every believing child of God. By His death we are reconciled to God; by His life, as it is wrought out in our life, we shall be saved... ST June 17, 1903, par. 12

...The Saviour has said of Himself, “The Son can do nothing of Himself;” “the Father that dwelleth in Me, He doeth the works.” John 5:19; 14:10. Then if Christ is dwelling in our hearts, He will work in us “both to will and to do of His good pleasure.” Philippians 2:13. We shall work as He worked; we shall manifest the same spirit. And thus, loving Him and abiding in Him, we shall “grow up into Him in all things, which is the head, even Christ.” Ephesians 4:15. Steps to Christ, p. 75.2

1 Corinthians 4:
6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.
8 We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair;
9 Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;
10 Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.
11 For we which live are alway delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh.
12 So then death worketh in us, but life in you.

Christ's condemning sin in the flesh becomes the mind, the motif of the Penitent, as His LIFE is become their LIFE:
Christ says through His Spirit,
...“Be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.” “They crucified Me, and if they put you to death, they crucify Me afresh in the person of My saints.” Selected Messages Book 3, p. 420.5

Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied. 1 Peter 1:2

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 12:44:04 PM »
Thursday October 24

What made the difference for Asaph? What did he see in the sanctuary service that caused him to understand the truth as to why good people suffer and bad people are prospered? Since many in the world and even in the church do not understand, maybe it would be good to study the sanctuary message as did Asaph?  Let us hear from some of our Bible students, what did Asaph find in the sanctuary?

This post might be late but i noticed that we haven't answered this important question. I think every devoted Christian has been tempted to ask WHY does the wicked SEEM to prosper while the righteous are suffering. The lesson attempt to answer this widely shared paradox amongst God’s children.

There is one verse in the bible that speaks clearly to me about the work in the sanctuary.

"What do ye imagine against the Lord? he will make an utter end: affliction shall not rise up the second time." Nahum 1:9

God is currently doing (and Has been doing) a work in the heavenly sanctuary that shall ultimately ensure that affliction shall not rise up the second time.  I think Asaph saw this work of eradicating sin (sin: the root cause of all our problems) in the sanctuary. By faith he understood the true lesson which God intended to teach using the sanctuary. Not only does the sanctuary teach us about  the forgiveness of sin, it also teaches us about the ultimate removal of sin which was shadowed by the day of atonement when the sanctuary was cleansed from sin, pointing to a anti typical when God shall eradicated sin. Asaph understood this (I think).

Welcome to our fellowship and Bible study, Chamu!  We have many who read the Sabbath School lesson, but few who actively participate. In a church setting is it very easy to draw others into the discussion, you ask the question and continue to look at them until they answer.  :)  Not so here. Those reading have no such encouragement to post their thoughts. It can be scary to put yourself out in front of the world. But, what Chamu has done is an illustration of what God desires in our study. We are a church of brothers and sisters from around the world, from many different cultures, yet Jesus has brought us closer together than those of our own family who are not converted. It is an easy thing for me to teach the lesson week after week. God has called me to do this. But, as a His teacher, it is my job to point all to Christ and His Word, not to myself. As such, I want others to share what God is teaching them, that the world might see the unity of Spirit and doctrine that we have in His church. We lose much when the church relies upon a pastor or elder to do all of the preaching and teaching.

The Holy Spirit is the Teacher. He is teaching all who will come to Jesus just as they are. And, our Sabbath School lesson will benefit from those lessons being shared with the rest of us. The question asked is one of the most important questions that can be answered. How many times have we heard intelligent people say, if God is all powerful, if God is so loving, then why does He allow such evil to exist in this world? Why does He allow such bad things to happen to good people? Chamu, under the leading of the Holy Spirit and His study of the Bible has answered that question. He apologized for being late, but he just joined our fellowship. The question would have been left unanswered if Chamu had not been brave enough, as a new member, to make the post even though it was in last week's lesson.

The answer will be here for the world to read until Jesus comes or the state refuses to allow our site to remain online. This is an open forum for the world to read. Many come here reading in the past lessons. Who knows whose life is going to be touched by what Chamu has posted. God can use his words to reach some of the many who do not know the character of our God, or why it is that God allows evil to continue in this world.  It is because it is necessary to put an end to sin forever. Asaph was distraught as he saw evil people prospering. Justice had fallen in the street and equity could not enter, and he who departed from evil made himself a prey. Is it not that way today? Many are frightened and do not understand God. We, to whom a knowledge of God has been entrusted, are responsible to understand and to tell the world about the character of our God. By our example and by our words, we are to tell of His greatness. Chamu has done this. Listen again to this important truth he has shared: "God is currently doing (and Has been doing) a work in the heavenly sanctuary that shall ultimately ensure that affliction shall not rise up the second time.  I think Asaph saw this work of eradicating sin (sin: the root cause of all our problems) in the sanctuary. By faith he understood the true lesson which God intended to teach using the sanctuary. Not only does the sanctuary teach us about  the forgiveness of sin, it also teaches us about the ultimate removal of sin which was shadowed by the day of atonement when the sanctuary was cleansed from sin, pointing to a anti typical when God shall eradicated sin."

What is so very sad is that it is not just the world that needs to hear this, but God's own church needs to hear it. The "evangelical gospel" has perverted this truth just as the Jews had perverted the gospel when Christ was born into this world. The false message is "love, love, love". "Forgiveness, forgiveness, forgiveness".  It is true, God is love. But what about the rest of the story? What about the eradication of sin? God forbid that someone would say such a thing! God saves us no matter if we continue is sin or not, is the prevalent teaching in professing Christianity. Satan has successfully attacked the character of our God. His justice has been maligned. And, he continues to malign His character of mercy and love too. God is going to burn the sinner for eternity if he does not become a Christian. Such lies.

In the Hebrew sanctuary we find a beautiful picture of the plan of salvation which included the eradication of sin, just as Chamu has shared. As we move forward with this quarter's lesson, we will be looking for this important lesson to be presented. We generally let the past week's lesson stay "stickied" or "pinned" at the top of the page until Monday or Tuesday of the current week. But, in this case, the truth that Chamu as presented is so important, that we are gong to let this past week's lesson stay at the top of the page until we cover the subject of the eradication of sin in this quarter. When we see the lesson presented in such a manner as Chamu has done, then we will let last week's lesson fall into its chronological order. Until then, it will remain "stickied" at the top of the page.

Again, welcome Chamu. And thank you for your participation in our lesson. We look forward to your thoughts and how God is leading in your life. May your post be an encouragement to the multitude who read, but do not post. We want to know what God is teaching them also.

Glen

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2013, 06:20:15 AM »
...the righteous character that Christ developed while on this earth that saves the sinner. No, if that were all that was necessary, all would be saved. But, justification of life required the suffering and death of Christ and the acceptance of that sacrifice to be saved.

Brother Richard,

It is abundantly obvious to me that it IS absolutely true that it IS only "the righteous character that Christ developed while on this earth that saves the sinner; and, that all who receive His sacrifice in humbling Himself to become man, being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross... Philippians 2:8, enabling them to make His cause their own, accepting His power to live His life, as their property. His death becomes theirs; His life (fruits of the Spirit) theirs, as they humble themselves, "obedient unto death, even the death of the cross" thus, becoming partakers of the divine nature.  An indwelling Saviour makes His power (their) property. Testimonies for the Church Volume 7, p. 71.1

-They  finally comprehend that:

1 Timothy 2:
3 ...God our Saviour;
4 ...will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

Not all will believe; or receive, the provisions of God:
Hebrews 10:
38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

2 Peter 3:
9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Colossians 3:
1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.
5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:
6 For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:
7 In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.
8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;
10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him...

Ephesians 3:
19 ...ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.
20 ... unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us...

I will greatly rejoice in the Lord, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels. Isaiah 61:10. The Faith I Live By, p. 113.1

Only the covering which Christ Himself has provided can make us meet to appear in God’s presence. This covering, the robe of His own righteousness, Christ will put upon every repenting, believing soul. “I counsel thee,” He says, “to buy of me ... white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed....” Revelation 3:18. The Faith I Live By, p. 113.2

This robe, woven in the loom of heaven, has in it not one thread of human devising. Christ in His humanity wrought out a perfect character, and this character He offers to impart to us. “All our righteousnesses are as filthy rags.” Isaiah 64:6. Everything that we of ourselves can do is defiled by sin. But the Son of God “was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.” Sin is defined to be “the transgression of the law.” 1 John 3:5, 4. But Christ was obedient to every requirement of the law....
The Faith I Live By, p. 113.3

By His perfect obedience He has made it possible for every human being to obey God’s commandments. When we submit ourselves to Christ, the heart is united with His heart, the will is merged in His will, the mind becomes one with His mind, the thoughts are brought into captivity to Him; we live His life. This is what it means to be clothed with the garment of His righteousness. Then as the Lord looks upon us He sees, not the fig-leaf garment, not the nakedness and deformity of sin, but His own robe of righteousness, which is perfect obedience to the law of Jehovah. The Faith I Live By, p. 113.4

Glen

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2013, 07:56:03 AM »
...as the Lord looks upon us He sees, not the fig-leaf garment, not the nakedness and deformity of sin, but His own robe of righteousness, which is perfect obedience to the law of Jehovah. The Faith I Live By, p. 113.4

Because it is:
...By His death we are reconciled to God; by His life, as it is wrought out in our life, we shall be saved. ST June 17, 1903, par. 12

"...the Lord...sees, not the fig-leaf garment, not the nakedness and deformity of sin, but His own robe of righteousness, which is perfect obedience to the law of Jehovah..."; purely because, "by His life, as it is wrought out in our life, we shall be saved. "

The impartation of the Spirit is the impartation of the life of Christ....the inward working of the Spirit...only IF or WHEN...the Christ-life is manifested...MAY WE stand as true representatives of the Saviour. Reflecting Christ, p. 131.4

Christ's perfection of character, indwelling the Penitent Sinner (Saints), through the impartation of His Holy Spirit, is that...perfection of character which will reach out to perfection in action. Our Father Cares, p. 309.2

Those who stand as overcomers in the Great Controversy will understand that; as Paul confessed:
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20

...the salvation of our own souls depends upon our individual efforts. RH August 23, 1881, par. 1

...NONE...share the “refreshing” unless they obtain the victory over every besetment, over pride, selfishness, love of the world, and over every wrong word and action...none but holy beings can ever dwell in His presence. The Faith I Live By, p. 337.6

Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus... Colossians 1:28

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2013, 08:37:23 AM »
Amen, Glen. That repentance that comes from Christ can only come when we see the grace of God in allowing His Son to come to this world to suffer and die in our place; for it is the goodness of God that leadeth thee to repentance. By beholding that grace, we are changed into His image from glory to glory by His Spirit.

Glen

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2013, 09:11:25 AM »
Amen, Glen. That repentance that comes from Christ can only come when we see the grace of God in allowing His Son to come to this world to suffer and die in our place; for it is the goodness of God that leadeth thee to repentance. By beholding that grace, we are changed into His image from glory to glory by His Spirit.

I appreciate so much the thought conveyed in the song by Isaac Watts in his song, “COME, HOLY SPIRIT, HEAVENLY DOVE”, using the words, “shall we ever live At this poor dying rate...Come, Holy Spirit, heavenly Dove, With all Thy quick’ning powers; Come, shed abroad the Savior’s love And that shall kindle ours.”

While:

For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. Romans 5:6

It is our privilege to remember that:
In the matchless gift of His Son, God has encircled the whole world with an atmosphere of grace as real as the air which circulates around the globe. All who choose to breathe this life-giving atmosphere will live, and grow up to the stature of men and women in Christ Jesus.

The gift of repentance and grace "came" to this world the moment Michael gave the promise to Adam and Eve in Genesis 3:15, that which was determined by the will of God the Father and The Son...from the foundation of the world. Revelation 13:8

This repentance and power of His Grace becomes effective in the life of the Sinner when that Sinner
...by his own act...enters into a personal union with Christ by self-renunciation, faith, and obedience. We must, each for himself, choose Christ, because He has first chosen us. This union with Christ is to be formed by those who are naturally at enmity with Him. It is a relation of utter dependence, to be entered into by a proud heart.  The Faith I Live By, p. 135.2