Author Topic: Thinking about doing a Garden?  (Read 49300 times)

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Re: Thinking about doing a Garden?
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2014, 03:06:42 AM »
With 2 1/2 feet of snow on the ground, I don't think I'm going to plant anything for awhile.  ;D

Up here in the more frigid regions of the US, most people delay any planting until mid-May, although Spinach, Kale, Chard, and other cold-tolerant plants can be started as soon as "mud season" is over, typically mid-April to early May.  This year, it may take a bit longer, since colder than normal (due to global warming  ::) ) conditions are forecast to continue through the end of the month.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2014, 07:17:12 AM »
Yes, we understand global warming has not happened in most of the United States.  I am trying to help warm things up for you. Will be trying to create some co2 for you and my plants. But, it is time to start some seeds indoors even in the frigid Northeast. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2014, 06:41:26 PM »
I go away for about 9 nine days to find that my kale has quadrupled in size. I guess I'm gonna have plenty for salads and maybe juicing. When I left the leaves were a little less than than the palm of your hand in size and I come home to this. I'm not complaining. Just amazed at how much growth can take place in a week.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2014, 06:48:46 PM »
 :)  They are beautiful!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Marelis

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2014, 04:35:11 AM »
Loved seeing your garden photos, Jim.
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

Marelis

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2014, 04:41:09 AM »
I had the pleasure of visiting an elderly man with wonderful vegetable gardens last summer. Everything was huge. I'd never seen anything like his waist high spinach and pepper bushes. Crazy big. His secret.....crushed granite. He'd been a traditional gardener with average results for years. But thought the soil needed something extra. Added the crushed granite a few years ago and something magical happened.
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2015, 08:07:56 PM »
Well I didn't have anyone to tell me I couldn't or shouldn't do this and it only took me about 30 minutes if it ends up failing. Here is what happened. This year I planted 8 rows of corn in 2 sections of 4 on different ends of my garden. However, 1 section of 4 rows didn't do very well at all. I was thinking about just pulling them and planting something else. I figure they are going to die one way or the other so tonight I transplanted 20 corn plants from one side of the garden to the other. LOL  They were only 8 to 10 inches high and I didn't disturb hardly any roots. I'll let ya know if my experiment works. Even if only 1/2 survive that will be another 2 dozen ears of corn I would have lost.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

colporteur

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2015, 06:25:33 AM »

JimB;

Your success rate may depend on conditions that stress the corn like wind and heat. You can mound the dirt up a bit higher around the plant than it was in. That will help keep them from blowing over due to roots not holding yet. Corn likes lots of sun and heat (when it is established) and it like a lot of water but not water logged. It also likes nitrogen as it is technically a grass.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2015, 08:21:55 AM »
Experience is a good teacher. Let us know how it works out. Any idea why it was not doing well in that location? Same variety as the other corn?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2015, 09:46:57 AM »
Well here is the short story. I purchased heirloom seeds from a local guy. Hoping that if it tastes good I'd have seeds for next year. Neither patch of corn did exceptionally well but one was significantly better. I want to blame myself for maybe accidently planting them too deep. Which is a possibility. Maybe the seeds weren't as viable also? I'm not sure.

I suppose soil could be a cause but this is a small plot of land about 20 x 30 and last year I planted green beans with no problems where the corn is (was) this year. I'm not sure. Time will tell I guess.

colporteur

« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2015, 09:53:00 AM »

I have never heard of heirloom sweet corn. That's a first. Heirloom maze is common but it is not sweet. It is more or less used for tortillas and such.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2015, 11:42:59 AM »
Cp,  I'm still very new at gardening. You could very well be correct about no heirloom sweetcorn. I'll need to go back and read the packaging but that is what I thought when I was reading the description when I purchased them.

colporteur

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2015, 12:17:34 PM »
Cp,  I'm still very new at gardening. You could very well be correct about no heirloom sweetcorn. I'll need to go back and read the packaging but that is what I thought when I was reading the description when I purchased them.

My guess is that it is organic, but..... I could be wrong. New things do come on the market from time to time.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2015, 11:44:47 AM »
Experience is a good teacher. Let us know how it works out.

Well you be the judge on my little experiment. None of them died and all seem to be doing well. I'm starting to see some silk show up. I'm looking forward to freezing this stuff for winter. You can click on image to enlarge

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2015, 09:24:07 PM »
Heirloom sweetcorn

Would old varieties of sweetcorn qualify ?

Decided to do a quick Google search to find out.

http://www.victoryseeds.com/corn.html 

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/heirloom-corn-varieties-zewz1307zpit.aspx 

http://www.myfarmlife.com/farmstead/the-best-varieties-of-heirloom-corn/ 

http://blog.seedsavers.org/blog/preventing-gmo-contamination-in-your-open-pollinated-corn 

http://www.burpee.com/heirloom-seeds-and-plants/heirloom-corn/ 

http://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/corn/ 

http://sustainableseedco.com/sweet-corn/

What's heirloom sweetcorn without heirloom beans ?  Especially frozen sweet corn cooked in Jan-Feb with a big pot of leather britches beans made from one of the "greasy bean" varieties .

http://www.heirlooms.org/apps/search?q=greasy+beans   

http://www.heirlooms.org/greasy-beans.html 

http://restoringtheroost.blogspot.com/2015/01/more-on-shuck-beans-stringing-drying.html   

Greasy beans are beans that the pod looks greased on the vine and they don't have strings.  Thus suitable in WNC (home ) for leather britches beans.    ( harvested washed, strung on a six foot or longer strong thread, hung up to dry, unshelled pod and all, dusted off, unstrung, washed,  seasoned and cooked till tender - later in the winter, or next spring / summer along with plenty of fresh sweet corn, fresh ripe tomatoes, new potatoes. )

Stringed bean varieties, the pods get too tough upon maturity, and the pods split when drying if strung, the beans spill out, so stringless pods are best for threading up like christmas popcorn, using a needle and strong thread.    Calling them shuck beans means you broke the pods in pieces leaving the beans in the pods.

Leather Britches beans have a concentrated full organic down home old time flavor, and they can and should be pressure cooked - regular stove top is too slow.   HUNGRY just thinking about them. 

Try heirloom blanched frozen sweet corn - quick cooked this winter with a big pot of leather britches or "leather breeches" and if I was mistaken about the strings in the beans, well it's been approx 40 years since I had em back home, so if I am wrong spit strings, and dig in for a second helping.  Please pass the sweet corn.
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2015, 06:27:39 AM »
God is surely blessing you, Jim.  What a beautiful stand of corn! You have water and nitrogen for your corn.  What are you using for fertilizer? 

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2015, 09:11:41 AM »
God is surely blessing you, Jim.  What a beautiful stand of corn! You have water and nitrogen for your corn.  What are you using for fertilizer?

That He is! We've had no shortage of water this summer so far. The only time I've dragged out the garden hose was when I first planted the seeds. As for fertizlizer, I have not used any.

All the people that sell sweet corn near me have already started putting thiers out for sale so I'm a little behind I guess. Maybe because I didn't use fertilizer? There is another stand of corn that you can't see in that picutre on the other side of the fence that is about twice as large and about 3 weeks behind. I wanted to see which variety was going to taste better but so they didn't cross pollinate I planted them about 3 weeks apart. Time will tell.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2015, 11:44:55 AM »
You have nitrogen rich soil. Again, God has blessed you!!

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2016, 07:22:53 PM »
It's a little late in the year to encourage people to start a garden but when I saw this. I wanted to share.

Next to the Bible, nature is to be our great lessonbook. But there is no virtue in deifying nature, for this is exalting the thing made above the great Master Builder who designed the work, and who every hour keeps it operating according to His appointment. As we sow the seed and cultivate the plant, we are to remember that God created the seed, and He gives it to the earth. By His divine power He cares for that seed. It is by His appointment that the seed in dying gives its life to the blade and to the ear which contains in itself other seeds to be treasured and again put into the earth to yield their harvest. We may also study how the co-operation of man acts a part. The human agent has his part to act, his work to do. This is one of the lessons which nature teaches, and we shall see in it a solemn, a beautiful work.  {6T 185.3}

Marelis

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2019, 04:09:17 AM »
Everyone ought to have at least one living plant to care for or in their environment. Even people in high rise apartments. Plants lift our spirits and even the unbelieving are encouraged to wonder about the secret and source of life. What greater joy than physical contact with nature. Touching it, observing, smelling, tasting it. Gardening is a beautiful pastime. I converse audibly with the Creator in my garden. I should try to figure out how to share some photos.