Author Topic: The Law of God  (Read 8943 times)

Peter L

The Law of God
« on: October 27, 2012, 02:32:35 AM »
Can we start a topic on the Law of God if there is not one already
Revelation 3:20
(20)  Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Law of God
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 07:35:21 AM »
You've got it, Peter. What an important subject. Where would you like to start? What is the law of God?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Peter L

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 02:33:06 PM »
Thanks for starting the topic.
The Law Is                                                  God Is
Psalms 19:7 Perfect                                    Matthew 5:48 Perfect
Psalms 119:72 Better than gold                     Proverbs 8:18, 19 Better than gold
Psalms 119:86 Faithful                                 Deuteronomy 7:9 Faithful
Psalms 119:142 Truth                                  John 14:6 Truth
Psalms 119:172 Righteousness                      Psalms 71:19 Righteousness
Romans 7:12 Holy                                       Leviticus 11:44 Holy
Romans 7:12 Just                                       Deuteronomy 32:4 Just
Romans 7:12 Good                                      Matthew 19:17 Good
Romans 7:14 Spiritual                                  1 Corinthians 2:15 Spiritual
Proverbs 6:23 Light                                     1 John 1:5 Light

God requires perfection of His children. His law is a transcript of His own character, and it is the standard of all character. This infinite standard is presented to all that there may be no mistake in regard to the kind of people whom God will have to compose His kingdom. The life of Christ on earth was a perfect expression of God's law, and when those who claim to be children of God become Christlike in character, they will be obedient to God's commandments. Then the Lord can trust them to be of the number who shall compose the family of heaven. Clothed in the glorious apparel of Christ's righteousness, they have a place at the King's feast. They have a right to join the blood-washed throng.  COL 315

I was thinking about this quote and started thinking how are each of the 10 commandments a transcript of the character of God so I went over each one. This is the first part of that study.
(20)  Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 08:41:50 PM »
Amen!   The law of God is a law of love. The two great commandments are to love God and to love our neighbor. All of the rest of the law hangs on these two great commands.  If we do not keep the law, then we do not have the love that so many profess to have. The law of God has been vilified by many professing Christians, when in fact is a revelation of our God and those who love Him supremely. If we break one of the commandments, we break them all because when sinning, we are not abiding in Christ. If we are not filled with His Spirit, we cannot do any good thing.

Continue, dear brother.  We look  forward to what the Bible says about God's law.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Peter L

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 08:55:15 PM »
The Purpose of the Law
Deuteronomy 6:24. For our good
Romans 5:20. That offence might abound
Romans 7:13 Become exceeding sinful
Romans 3:20 The knowledge of sin
Galatians 3:24 To bring us to Christ
Romans 5:20 Where sin abounds grace abounds
Mark 2:16, 17 Came to call sinners
John 16:7, 8 Comforter convicts of sin
James 2:12 Law of liberty

Is He the comforter when he convicts us of sin?
Yes, for the purpose of bringing us to Christ.

As the sinner looks into the great moral looking glass, he sees his defects of character. He sees himself just as he is, spotted, defiled, and condemned. But he knows that the law cannot in any way remove the guilt or pardon the transgressor. He must go farther than this. The law is but the schoolmaster to bring him to Christ. He must look to his sin-bearing Saviour. And as Christ is revealed to him upon the cross of Calvary, dying beneath the weight of the sins of the whole world, the Holy Spirit shows him the attitude of God to all who repent of their transgressions. "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (John 3:16).  1SM 213

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
A question for you, Peter.  When a man is convinced that the wages of sin is death, and he sees that he is indeed guilty of sin, why would there be comfort if there is no knowledge of a Savior? Where does guilt come from? Is it not through a knowledge of sin? And if there was comfort in this knowledge of sin when the Holy Spirit brings this conviction, then why the feelings of guilt? It seems that comfort and guilt are not the same thing. I think that many have not surrendered to Christ and yet they have been convicted of sin. There is no comfort in being guilty and not being fully surrendered and forgiven. Where am I missing your point?

Peter L

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 03:35:19 AM »
John 16:8
(8)  And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
Romans 7:7
(7)  What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

We do not know how the Spirit works on a persons heart or what a person feels or knows. Feeling guilty is a good thing because it shows the Spirit is still working on a persons heart.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 03:29:32 PM »
Amen!  But, you say it brings comfort when one sees he is guilty. Why would there be comfort before one is converted after he sees himself condemned? There is often a period of time when one finds out he is guilty before he is converted. One can be condemned for murder, understand he is guilty, but have no comfort in that fact because he has not been forgiven by God. He will not be comforted until he makes a full surrender to Jesus. Therefore, there is not necessarily any comfort in finding out one is condemned by the law of God. The law can save no one. It can comfort no one. As you say, its purpose is not to save, or comfort, but to condemn that we might seek out a Saviour, Jesus Christ.

The law is a transcript of God's character. It is a perfect standard that we may know who we are and stand condemned before God and His law. All has sinned. When we know God, when we have seen Jesus, then we have a measuring stick that we may see our sinfulness. But, that does not bring comfort, it brings condemnation. We then must decide to give up our sin polluted hearts or else die.

Peter L

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 03:45:33 PM »
John 16:7-8
(7)  Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
(8)  And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

The Holy Spirit is referred to as the comforter who His first job is to convict of sin. Is He still the comforter when He convicts of sin?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 04:36:58 PM »
Not to the unconverted. To the one who has been converted but fallen, the law shows our guilt when we sin. It is Jesus that comforts us when He says I love you and will forgive you. There is comfort in Christ. We must be reconciled to Christ before there is peace in the heart. "For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:  That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.... Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be." Romans 8:3,4,7. The law is not able to bring peace and joy, its job is to reveal sin in the life and to lead us to Christ because we see we are condemned and in need of help outside of ourselves.

Peter L

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 04:55:00 PM »
I never said the law gives us comfort I said the Holy Spirht is still the comforter when He convicts of sin. As this thread is about the law let us stay with the topic. The law is a transcript of the character of God, what does the first commandment reveal about God' s character?   

Peter L

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 01:50:05 AM »
1st Commandment
Exodus 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Deuteronomy 6:14, 15 Not go after other gods
Deuteronomy 7:16 Will be a snare unto thee
Deuteronomy 32:16, 17 Sacrificed unto devils
Jeremiah 25:6 Other gods to serve them
Judges 2:11-13 Forsook God, followed other gods
Judges 10:6 Did evil, served not Him
Genesis 3:5 Be as gods
Isaiah 14:12-14 I will exalt my throne
Ezekiel 28:15-17 Thine heart was lifted up
Daniel 8:11, 25 He magnified himself
Daniel 11:36 He shall exalt himself
2 Thessalonians 2:4 Exalteth himself above all
Luke 14:7-11 Humble, shall be exalted
Philippians 2:4-11 He humbled Himself

Satan wanted to exalt himself to be like God and has had earthly powers that reflect his character while Christ who is God humbled Himself and became obedient unto death. So this is teaching that to have no other gods we are to have the same character as Christ in being humble and not trying to exalt our self or someone.

Peter L

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 11:02:06 PM »
I never said the Holy Spirit brings comfort when He convicts of sin, I said He is still the comforter when He convicts of sin. There is a difference.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 09:11:38 PM »
I can buy that. He wants to comfort, but if the sinner will not yield up self, then the sinner has no comfort and has only guilt.  He is indeed the comforter.  There is no comfort in a lie. There is only comfort in the truth and only when we walk in it. This is why the Holy Spirit is called the comforter. He is the One who brings the truth home to the heart. There is great comfort and joy in seeing the truth and allowing it (Him) into the heart.

Dora

• For the battle is not yours, but God's.
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 08:18:50 PM »
Speaking of the Law of God, I heard in a sermon something to the effect that the angels were surprised when they learned that there was a law. The obedient angels had kept God's "Law of Love" simply because it was the natural (for them) thing to do. Does anyone know where to find a quote like that? The reference was not given. I liked it because in Heaven, that is how we will "keep the law." It will not be something we will think about...because, our characters have to be changed now, so it is our desire to do His will.
Dora

Larry Lyons

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 10:14:51 PM »
Speaking of the Law of God, I heard in a sermon something to the effect that the angels were surprised when they learned that there was a law. The obedient angels had kept God's "Law of Love" simply because it was the natural (for them) thing to do. Does anyone know where to find a quote like that? The reference was not given. I liked it because in Heaven, that is how we will "keep the law." It will not be something we will think about...because, our characters have to be changed now, so it is our desire to do His will.
Dora, Ellen White wrote that. I am not sure where it might be. Probably in the Conflict series.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 03:18:01 AM »
I believe it is in Desire of Ages or Great Controversy, but so far I haven't been able to find it.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 06:19:31 AM »
 :) And I am looking for it as well. While searching, I found this said of the Christian:

All who come within the sphere of his [the true religious man] influence perceive the beauty and fragrance of his Christian life, while he himself is unconscious of it, for it is in harmony with his habits and inclinations. He prays for divine light, and loves to walk in that light. It is his meat and drink to do the will of his heavenly Father. His life is hid with Christ in God; yet he does not boast of this, nor seem conscious of it. God smiles upon the humble and lowly ones who follow closely in the footsteps of the Master. Angels are attracted to them, and love to linger about their path. They may be passed by as unworthy of notice by those who claim exalted attainments and who delight in making prominent their good works, but heavenly angels bend lovingly over them and are as a wall of fire round about them.18 - Sanctified Life, 11-15.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 06:21:36 AM »
Here it is:

But in heaven, service is not rendered in the spirit of legality. When Satan rebelled against the law of Jehovah, the thought that there was a law came to the angels almost as an awakening to something unthought of. In their ministry the angels are not as servants, but as sons.... Obedience is to them no drudgery. Love for God makes their service a joy. So in every soul wherein Christ, the hope of glory, dwells, His words are re-echoed, "I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart."  {Mar 79.6} 

It was taken from Chap. 5 - The Lord's Prayer, Thoughts from the Mount of Blessing.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Dora

• For the battle is not yours, but God's.
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 07:53:00 AM »
Thanks, Mimi, that was a revelation to me. "But in heaven, Service is not rendered in the spirit of legality."The angels had the law of love, the moral law, but some of the "10 commandments" do not apply to angels, do they? Such as the 5th? And, what about the Sabbath? Was it not created for man, not angels? And, as we measure the Sabbath from sunset to sunset, how could it be measured before the creation of this world, and the sun? Is there any Biblical evidence that it existed before earth was created?

I like this quote also:  If man had kept the law of God, as given to Adam after his fall, preserved by Noah, and observed by Abraham, there would have been no necessity for the ordinance of circumcision. And if the descendants of Abraham had kept the covenant, of which circumcision was a sign, they would never have been seduced into idolatry, nor would it have been necessary for them to suffer a life of bondage in Egypt; they would have kept God's law in mind, and there would have been no necessity for it to be proclaimed from Sinai or engraved upon the tables of stone. And had the people practiced the principles of the Ten Commandments, there would have been no need of the additional directions given to Moses.  {PP 364.2} 
Dora