Author Topic: The Bible Teaches Male Headship in the Home and the Church  (Read 45043 times)

colporteur

Re: The Bible Teaches Male Headship in the Home and the Church
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2014, 07:58:19 AM »

"The document, in very clear language, states that only Christ can be the head of the church, '…while there exists legitimate leadership in the Church, no other human being may rightfully claim a headship role in the Church.'”
  They are not very bright in their rebellion.  The very same thing they must now apply to the home. Is not Christ the head of the home also? According to them, what man can say God appointed man to be the head of the home?

Yes, what they must necessarily say is that  if the man is the head of the home, Christ is not. There  is not room for both even in their prospective spheres. Therefore either the man is not the head of the home (even though Scripture says otherwise) or else Christ is not the head of the home. They have painted themselves into a corner. My observation, Richard, is that they will be happy with that or at least willing to sacrifice the husband being the head of the wife if that means getting their way. They just have not sought to directly war against that yet. It's coming just in an indirect manner. Since Satan is behind this rebellion we must realize that as long as WO destroys, and of course it does, he is very happy that it causes a lot of collateral damage along the way. The more the better. The principle that accepts WO, accepts homosexuality, which has already destroyed the headship role of the husband and the home itself. This apostasy all dovetails together. It all interconnects at the root. That which God has not planted will be uprooted however painful the experience for those who cling to the plant.

If no other human in the church can claim a headship role in any area of the church, and that's what they are saying, then students can tell the teacher what she is to do. There are  headship/leadership roles for women in the church. A woman can be the head of Dorcas or of her primary class however, that  is very different from that of an elder , pastor, or president.

If there is  any difference between headship and leadership in the church it seems insignificant to me.
Ultimately they are working to undermine church leadership and destroy the home all with one missile, while thinking they are doing God service.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

colporteur

« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2014, 09:39:19 AM »

Thanks for  keeping us in the loop Mimi !

What would we do without you ?

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2014, 02:37:12 PM »
You would survive just fine, young man.  ;)

Quote from: colporteur
My observation, Richard, is that they will be happy with that or at least willing to sacrifice the husband being the head of the wife if that means getting their way.

They just did that in the paper. And the Women's Liberation Movement has been trying to do that for decades. I assume it continues to galls them that they must still attempt to collect sperm from a willing donor if they wish to have a biological child. They are men haters and are as resentful of the male species as can be. They want payback because of years of "oppression." Lord knows there has been oppression but God's design has none of that for man or woman. The Bible clearly spells that out, especially in Ephesians.

Christian men within and without our denomination have laid down and let the rebellious women have their way through submitting to the weaker sex. This is a complete role reversal.

God held Adam accountable in the garden when Eve sinned. Who do we blame today? The women or the men? It seems God would still hold the male responsible for letting go of his God-given role to keep the woman by his side and not let her stray. That is a nice way of saying he failed "to keep her reined in." Man let go of the responsibility of his charge: woman - and she ran with it.

As Richard cited: 11:7   For a man indeed ought not to cover [his] head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
 11:8   For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.
 11:9   Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man. 

What on earth do the authors of such position papers do with those verses of Scripture?
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

colporteur

« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2014, 03:37:30 PM »
As Richard cited: 11:7   For a man indeed ought not to cover [his] head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
 11:8   For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.
 11:9   Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man. 

What on earth do the authors of such position papers do with those verses of Scripture?

That's easy for them. They just claim what is a headship/leadership role "is not  a headship/ leadership role, is, is not, is ,is not, is, is not." That's the thing about error, it does not need to make sense. All you have to do is say it is so and it is so. It's called "fantasy island."

Rebellion never did make sense. It's just a spoiled brat attitude. A spoiled brat is not so in just one area. This is just currently the biggest venue to express that attitude. >:(

Cop

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2014, 08:29:42 AM »
I have also been shown that there is often a great failure upon the part of the wife. She does not make strong efforts to control her own spirit, and make home happy. There is often fretfulness and unnecessary complaining on her part. The husband comes home from his labor weary and perplexed, and often meets a clouded brow; instead of cheerful, encouraging words. He is mortal, and his affections become weaned from his wife, he loses the love of his home, his pathway is darkened, and his courage gone. He yields his self respect and that dignity which God requires him to maintain. The husband is the head of the family, as Christ is the head of the church, and any course which the wife may pursue to lessen his influence and lead him to come down from the dignified, responsible position God would have him occupy, displeases God. It is the duty of the wife to yield her wishes and will to her husband. Both should be yielding, but preference is given in the word of God to the judgment of the husband. And it will not detract from the dignity of the wife to yield to him who she has chosen to be her counselor, adviser, and protector. The husband should maintain his position in his family with all meekness, yet with decision. Some have asked the question, Must I be on my guard, and feel a restraint upon me continually? I have been shown that we have a great work before us to watch ourselves with jealous care, and search our own hearts, and know wherein we fail, and then guard ourselves upon that point. {RH April 22, 1862}
My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me....That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."
— Stonewall Jackson

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2014, 08:39:34 AM »
Amen!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2014, 10:02:58 AM »
Amen!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2014, 07:09:48 AM »
Appeal Made Over Andrews Statement on Headship
The appeal emphasizes that God established the headship of man over woman in the Garden of Eden and says He desires to maintain that hierarchy.
Posted October 7, 2014

Editor’s note: On Aug. 22, the Adventist Review published an online story about the release of a consensus document by the faculty of the Seventh-day Adventist Theological Seminary at Andrews University, “The Unique Headship of Christ.” We offer the following story about a recently published response to that earlier story.

A group of 25 Adventist theologians and pastors has appealed to faculty of the Seventh-day Adventist Theological Seminary at Andrews University to reconsider a recent statement on Biblical concepts of headship.

The group — which includes a current and a former seminary faculty member, alumni, and students, as well as professors from other North American Adventist universities — has sent an eight-page open appeal to the seminary, the church’s main North American training ground for pastors, in connection with the document approved by consensus in late August.

The appeal, dated Monday, “urges the faculty to reconsider their statement and adjust it so that it considers the full biblical counsel on this subject and be in harmony with the vital Protestant and Adventist principle of ‘the Bible and the Bible only.’”

“Instead of unifying church members, it seems that the document has brought confusion in regard to the Biblical view of Christ’s headship and its implications for leadership under Christ in the church,” the appeal says.

The appeal opens by concurring that Christ’s headship over the church is absolute. But it also says “the arguments in the seminary document to support His headship role are at times problematic.”

“We see the need to recognize that Scripture is clear that Christ has delegated leadership responsibility for His church to ministers and elders as undershepherds in His stead with His authority,” it says.

The appeal lists four “problematic arguments” from the seminary statement, and follows each with a reply.

The appeal makes no mention of women’s ordination, a divisive issue among some church members that may face a vote at the General Conference session next July.

Adventist Review Article

Link to Appeal document: http://www.adventistreview.org/assets/public/news/2014-10/242011032-Appeal-to-the-Seminary-Faculty_1_.pdf

Note the contributors on page 8 of the pdf.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2014, 11:13:34 AM »
What a blessing!  This is an open rebuke to the leadership of the seminary at Andrews. What a shame it has come to this, but to have men who are to lead the church come under this kind of leadership is a most terrible thing to happen in God's church. Women leading men is not the issue here. It is a symptom of a much deeper problem. Here we see that all are not blind to the issue. The subject is women's ordination, but the rebuke is not. The blind need to awake to the real issue. New leaders need to be elected in North American churches. For this to happen, there needs to be revival and reformation at the church level. We are not a hierarchy. The power is given to the church member to select conference leaders. It begins at the bottom and works it way up. While it is true that these men who voted this incorrect statement are school employees, the school is under the leadership of the church.

This brings to mind the two papers on The Protestantization of the Adventist Mind written by now retired seminary professor, Fernando Canale. We have pointed to his belief that the seminary has been leading astray many young men who have been prepared for ministry. source How long before the North American ministry awakens to the need for revival and reform within their ranks? We thank God that we have faithful leaders at the General Conference and many  within the North American Division, at least 61. There were 61 NAD leaders who refused to participate in the rebellion that took place at the 2011 NAD year end meeting when the NAD leadership voted to modify their constitution so that women could be made leaders of men in the church. source

We stand with the faithful who are standing with God on Bible truth.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2014, 12:01:28 PM »
Yes, we do and they need to know it. We have issued our own statements; however, more constituents need to voice their support instead of sitting quietly in the pews.

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2014, 01:39:24 PM »
There were 61 NAD leaders who refused to participate in the rebellion that took place at the 2011 NAD year end meeting when the NAD leadership voted to modify their constitution so that women could be made leaders of men in the church

I have no idea what they would have been up against in numbers, but maybe it would have been a blessing if they had been there. Maybe the vote would not have been what it was.
With Christian Love,
Marie

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2014, 08:53:42 PM »
They were there, they voted against those in rebellion.

Sister Marie

« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2014, 11:05:25 PM »
Ah, I'm glad to hear that. Then they did stand up for what they believed in. I know at the beginning of this issue I heard it said that it was best not to get involved. But I feel that it is very important that we speak up for the Truth, lest others feel that those against WO are in smaller number then is true. It makes me think of Elijah. Could it be that he felt he was alone in standing up for God because the others did not speak up? We don't know, but one wonders.
With Christian Love,
Marie

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2014, 05:31:38 AM »
They were there, they voted against those in rebellion.

Yes they did and we support them at every turn. They (and we) are up against machinery invented to cut down the very legs we stand on. When we ask "Where are the men?" we can find many pastors and a few laymen who know their places because of God's mandate laid upon them. When they are placed on committees they are faithful to rebuke this tidal wave of rebellion. Many of the presentations given over the weekend at Bohr's summit were by TOSC members. They are standing. 

The trouble I observe is that there are so many more sitting in the pews who are cowering under direct threat and intimidation. It becomes so strong that they continue to sit and do nothing. Even through earnest appeal they cannot be moved to stand. As a woman earnestly wanting them to take their places, that is tough to take. A woman should never have to prod and prop up a male who has God's mandate sitting upon him. That is a shame equal to the rebellion the church is fighting.

I received letters, e-mails and phone calls in support of the stand I took in my local congregation. Unfortunately, I stood as a lone voice crying in the wilderness, giving the impression that there was only one single person against this rebellion, while there were many more who refused to utter a sound, content to hide behind the skirt of one who would. They became dumb dogs who would not bark, dreaming, lying down, loving to slumber and I was labeled the one in rebellion. May God help us. Many do not want "to cause trouble," so they are obliged to have others fight for them. Again, may God help us and may His Spirit nerve us up. There will be weightier issues to confront in just a little while. And unless the fuse is lit by His Spirit, we will have no fire in our bellies to confront anything.   

Ah, I'm glad to hear that. Then they did stand up for what they believed in. I know at the beginning of this issue I heard it said that it was best not to get involved. But I feel that it is very important that we speak up for the Truth, lest others feel that those against WO are in smaller number then is true.

The numbers on God's side are not small but they seem so because of the highly orchestrated public relations program run by the North American Division and "enlightened" men who have turned soft in the name of equality and justice. Social and civil constructs meant to correct wrongs in communities and nations have no place in the church where there is already equality and justice. In precept and practice, the Bible is so far beyond men's social ideals that they would realize it if only they would take His Word into their hearts. God operates on a high spiritual plane where these issues are addressed and resolved according to His will and original intent for mankind. Soft men and aspiring women who have attached themselves to "women's rights" evidently do not believe that is enough. Revelation 3 is again a reality awaiting revival and reformation. It will come though it appears to be delayed.

Those who feel called out to join the movement in favor of woman's rights and the so-called dress reform might as well sever all connection with the third angel's message. The spirit which attends the one cannot be in harmony with the other. The Scriptures are plain upon the relations and rights of men and women.  {1T 421.4}     

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2014, 10:15:18 AM »
Those who reject inspiration as if it were human wisdom find themselves following a spirit not of God. "The Scriptures are plain upon the relations and rights of men and women." This is not hard to understand, but apparently 162 princes in the NAD do not accept this as inspired counsel from God. NAD illegal vote at year end meeting  They reject those "plain" statements found in Scripture, and supply their own cultural (traditions) that lead many away from God and His Word.

Some call for kindness and patience with those leading the rebellion. Yes, we are to love our enemies and the enemies of God, but that does not mean that we are to be dumb dogs that will not bark when we see God's truth and His church being trampled upon. And, there are some who have no discernment in this matter that need to see the truth being expressed and lived. Look for opportunities to labor for those who are open to the truth.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2014, 12:15:10 PM »
Amen!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2014, 03:52:03 PM »
An interesting rebuttal was published today @ Ordinationtruth.com. Here is the entire article:

In August, the Seventh-day Adventist theological Seminary in Berrien Springs, Michigan, USA, voted to officially adopt a special statement. That statement claimed that Jesus’ unique Headship role somehow meant that there could be no male-headship roles by local elders in the church. In the accompanying article, guest OrdinationTruth.com author Jordy Buinsman examines the argument that Christ as unique head of the church contradicts the male-headship-office of local elder.

Buisman writes as a Seventh-day Adventist youth from the Netherlands.

Does Christ as Unique Head of the Church Contradict the Male-headship Office of Local Elder?

DOWNLOAD IN PRINTABLE PDF FORMAT

Jordy Buisman
2014-10-08

Introduction

A recent argument put forward favoring the ordination of women (WO), contrasts Christ’s role as the unique Head of the church (Colossians 1:18, Ephesians 5:23) and the role of an elder as a male headship office (1 Timothy 2:12 and 3:2, 1 Corinthians 11:3). The argument recently being set forth seems almost an afterthought. It was not proposed until this year.

Initially, it seems a reasonable argument. It appears biblical because it seems not to invoke speculative cultural conditions, and looks like a straightforward use of Scripture. The reasoning is as follows: “Since Christ is the unique Head of the church, any form of headship existing in the church is unbiblical, because it usurps a position belonging only to Christ. Therefore, the idea that the role of elder is a male headship role is unbiblical, meaning that the church can ordain women.” For many WO proponents, this argument seems to demonstrate that gender cannot be a biblical qualification for ordination. But is this sound reasoning? Could this settle the debate in favor of WO? Let’s explore the issues involved.

The argument does not logically follow

There is a fatal flaw hidden in the reasoning undergirding this argument, namely, that the conclusion doesn’t follow from the premises of the argument (non sequitur). The argument, formalized, looks like this:

Premise 1: There is only one head of the church
    Premise 2: Jesus Christ is the head of the church
    Conclusion: therefore there cannot exist headship in the church

This argument is not valid. There is a categorical difference between being the head of the church and performing a headship function in the church. The terms may be similar, but the two do not overlap and therefore cannot contradict. The conclusion does not follow.

A corrected form of this argument would look like this:

Premise 1: There is only one head of the church
    Premise 2: Jesus Christ is the head of the church
    Conclusion: therefore no one except Jesus Christ is the head of the church

That is a conclusion we all agree on. It is for that very reason that it is unscriptural, even blasphemous to proclaim yourself to be the vicar of Christ, or God on earth. However, that does not mean there is somehow a contradiction between eldership as Adventists since our beginnings have practiced it (as a male headship role), and Christ’s status as Head of the church. At most, the argument demonstrates that there can be no additional head of the church.

Nor would it help if it did follow

Even if Christ’s being head of the church somehow logically precluded any form of headship within the church, the argument would prove too much! What proponents of WO seek to demonstrate is that maleness is not a legitimate biblical requirement for headship in the church. They do not intend to show that there is no such thing as headship in the church. After all, what is included in headship? Leadership. Authority. So, if Christ’s leadership of the church is somehow antithetical to leadership roles within the church, then any and all leadership roles would be delegitimized, including women pastors/elders, which would defeat the whole purpose of those favoring women’s ordination.

More importantly, such a conclusion is not in harmony with what Scripture teaches. There is legitimate leadership in the church and the Bible affirms its existence , even commanding submission to that leadership (e.g. Titus 2:15, 1 Timothy 5:17, Hebrew 13:17). Without leadership there could be no church.

The idea is that no headship in the church also means no male headship in the church, and if the argument is correct, women could be ordained. No headship means no ordination, because without headship there can exist only laity. If one advocates changing the term “headship” to merely “leadership,” how would the church conduct itself in harmony with the requirements set forth in scripture for the office of elder?

We are glad that abolishing all leadership was never the intent of those advocating for WO. Indeed, many are leaders themselves. And yet, they persist in attempting to show that the requirement of being male to be eligible for the headship/leadership office of elder is not valid.

What will follow if we accept the argument

Were I asked to categorize all arguments in favor of WO in a logical way, I would place this argument, together with the one from Galatians 3:28 and some others, in a category called: “Arguments inviting higher criticism through the backdoor.” I’ve chosen that name, because both arguments are presented so as to sound so biblical, to appear true to the principle of Sola Scriptura, and are described as though employing the historical-grammatical method. But as they are employed, passages are interpreted so that they are in contradiction with the remainder of Scripture, which then necessitates the invocation of local culture or the employment of other approaches that subject Scripture to man’s authority. The clear meaning of the totality of Scripture is explained away in favor of a preferred interpretation of these isolated segments.

This just shows how we all have to be serious students of the Word, because if we do not go to the scriptures for ourselves to see if these things be so, we are in danger of being deceived by pseudo-biblical arguments no matter the issue at stake.

A few follow-up questions

Some would say that male headship, though evidently valid when applied to the husband in the home, is not valid when applied to the local church elder. To these I would like to ask the question: Isn’t Christ the Head of the home too? And, if you can reconcile these two truths, can you not also reconcile the notion of male headship in the church and Christ as the Head of the church using the same reasoning?

How are we to interpret the dominion given Adam over earth in light of the dominion that God has over the whole of creation? And can we not just as easily reconcile those two concepts, as we can the notion of male headship in the church and Christ as the Head of the church, using the same reasoning? Two small prepositions “of” and “in” make a world of difference.

Will we follow?

The truth concerning Christ as head of the church is as follows: Christ alone, being the Head of the church, has the authority to organize His church the way He specifies. The way Christ has chosen to organize His church is revealed in His Word. Jesus has chosen to organize His church with a specific form of leadership, that of the elder, reserved for males. Their leadership role is modeled after Christ’s role, though in a limited fashion (just as we were created in God’s image, modeled after Himself, but limited and therefore not contradictory). Their leadership is not in opposition to that of Christ for He Himself designed the office they are called to occupy and specified their being male in gender. Their leadership is in subjection to Christ, because all ordained elders within the church derive their authority directly from Christ as the true and only legitimate leader of the Church. Only when men, ordained or not ordained, go beyond Christ’s revealed will (the Scriptures) have they placed themselves above the authority of Christ, and in opposition to His headship. Those who elevate their own opinions as supreme authority, whether directly or by trying to make the Bible say things it doesn’t say, usurp Christ’s rightful authority.

May we be found in subjection to Christ, the Head of the church, and follow His complete will as revealed in the Word of God, the Bible.

BIOGRAPHICAL NOTE: Jordy Buisman is a youth living in the Netherlands. He graduated from the PEACE school of evangelism in the UK in 2013. Playing the piano, especially the hymns, is his hobby.

Sister Marie

« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2014, 09:09:56 PM »
Only when men, ordained or not ordained, go beyond Christ’s revealed will (the Scriptures) have they placed themselves above the authority of Christ, and in opposition to His headship. Those who elevate their own opinions as supreme authority, whether directly or by trying to make the Bible say things it doesn’t say, usurp Christ’s rightful authority.

Summoning a meeting of the believers, the apostles were led by the Holy Spirit to outline a plan for the better organization of all the working forces of the church. The time had come, the apostles stated, when the spiritual leaders having the oversight of the church should be relieved from the task of distributing to the poor and from similar burdens, so that they might be free to carry forward the work of preaching the gospel. "Wherefore, brethren," they said, "look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business. But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word." This advice was followed, and by prayer and the laying on of hands, seven chosen men were solemnly set apart for their duties as deacons.  {AA 89.1} 
     The appointment of the seven to take the oversight of special lines of work, proved a great blessing to the church. These officers gave careful consideration to individual needs as well as to the general financial interests of the church, and by their prudent management and their godly example they were an important aid to their fellow officers in binding together the various interests of the church into a united whole.  {AA 89.2} 
     That this step was in the order of God, is revealed in the immediate results for good that were seen. "The word of God increased; and the number of the disciples multiplied in Jerusalem greatly; and a great company of the priests were obedient to the faith."

From this I read that it is God's "order" to have the laying on of hands to be on men. We don't do this for deaconess's. Whatever makes anyone think they can do it for Elders/Pastors who are women? It is not in God's Order. God is a God of Order, both in heaven and in His dealings with this earth.

Our God is a God of order, and He desires that His children shall will to bring themselves into order and under His discipline. Would it not be better, therefore, to break up this habit of turning night into day, and the fresh hours of the morning into night? If the youth would form habits of regularity and order, they would improve in health, in spirits, in memory, and in disposition.[/color]  {CG 112.1}
With Christian Love,
Marie

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2014, 02:55:45 PM »
The Seminary rejected the Appeal.

Statement From Andrews Seminary in Response to Headship Appeal
The faculty at the Seventh-day Adventist Theological Seminary respond.
Posted October 13, 2014

By Adventist Review staff

On Oct. 8, the Adventist Review published here an appeal by a group of 25 theologians and pastors for the faculty of the Seventh-day Adventist Theological Seminary at Andrews University to review and adjust a document that the seminary faculty had adopted at an Aug. 21 meeting, “The Unique Headship of Christ.”

In response to “An Open Appeal,” also published here, the seminary faculty convened for a special meeting on Friday, Oct. 10, and spent more than three hours in discussion.

After study and examination, the faculty unanimously voted the following statement, released at the request of the seminary and the administration of Andrews University:

“We, the faculty of the Seventh-day Adventist Theological Seminary, respectfully reaffirm our original statement on the ‘Unique Headship of Christ in the Church’ which was the result of prayerful and responsible study of Scripture and the Spirit of Prophecy, and was voted by an overwhelming majority of the faculty in a duly called meeting.”  [End of article] http://www.adventistreview.org/church-news/statement-from-andrews-seminary-in-response-to-headship-appeal

Wow! That is brazen.

If this had to happen, I am glad it is happening during the Annual Council meetings when so many of the brethren are gathered. The rebellion is deep within our theological palaces. May God help them. 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2014, 09:25:46 PM »
It would be good if someone took responsibility for writing the short article.  "the faculty unanimously voted the following statement." Does not that mean all agreed?  That would be very hard to believe, would it not?  Then we read this:  "and was voted by an overwhelming majority of the faculty in a duly called meeting.”   Seems someone was getting a little overly supportive of the faculty.  I wonder how the group pushing the "third option" feel about the faculty being so opposed to their understanding of the Bible.  They may wish to compromise to keep peace, but by so doing, it would appear they are going to cheat our young people out of a truly religious education by compromising with the spirituality of their professors, or at least their discernment of Bible truth.