Author Topic: Google's new privacy Policy  (Read 4756 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Google's new privacy Policy
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 06:36:10 AM »
This one looks promising. https://www.ixquick.com/eng/protect-privacy.html

In the past, I have used Google Alerts on certain subject of interest and will need a replacement. At the moment, ixquick does not offer that. Any suggestions?

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 03:05:12 PM »
EFF is a good place to keep up on what's going on in the world of electronic privacy. Their suggestions are good ones. Only those who currently have a google account can remove their google history in this way.

But in reality unless you take other measures they will know where you travel on the internet anyway. Most webpages these days use google behind the scenes to keep track of who visits their website.. (how many clicks, how long you viewed a page, what website you were before and where you went after). Until you start to use something like Ghostery you don't realize how often you're being watched.

I've started using Startpage as they give you google results. It's the "sister" site to Ixquick

No suggestions at this point for getting alerts. Google makes a very good product. Which why they are so popular.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 03:33:25 PM »
Yes - right away, I switched to Startpage. So far, I like it.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 08:20:34 PM »
Me too!! Thanks, Jim.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 08:38:56 PM »
Jim, did you block anything with Ghostery?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 09:07:10 PM »
I use it regularly as an addon to Firefox and it has blocked up to 16 at a time. Doubleclick is always one of them.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 02:43:55 PM »
Jim, did you block anything with Ghostery?

It seems that almost every website I go to Ghostery is blocking something. Only here at TRO and a couple of privacy minded places like EFF and EPIC seem to be absent of trackers. 
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Vicki

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 05:10:47 PM »
I started using Startpage and Ghostery today. Ghostery is a busy tool. Thanks for the tips.  :)

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 05:18:15 PM »
I thought I'd post a link to this news piece for those that do use google's services on a regular basis.

Google will now give you a monthly report on your internet activity!! Source

carls365

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 02:59:09 PM »
Ever since Google Gmail began, they made it clear they intend to keep everything even trash. I think Facebook does the same thing, maybe they are worse, these companies are compiling a huge database on all it's users and who knows to what use that information be used for? I don't trust them whatsoever. For example, in Gmail there's a Trash delete feature but who knows if you actually deleting anything? they may just be storing it. Couple weeks ago I deleted everything Google, Gmail, Picasa, Reader, Browser.

I'm in the process of trying out the TOR browser. It's very slow to boot up but seems to very good for privacy.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 05:14:47 PM »
Let us know how it works out in the long term, Carl. We are always open to better ways of computing!

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 07:20:32 PM »
Carls, I didn't welcome you in the new member area so I'll do it here. Your testimony is encouraging and we're glad you're here. I hope you'll find a discussion that interests you and jump right in.

I don't blame you for deleteing everything google and TOR is a good product that does a good job. However, if people don't like the hassle of trying to TOR up on their computer I would suggest downloading the TOR Browser Bundle where most of the work is done for you. If people are a little scared of setting even this up you can watch a video here that will completely walk you through the process.

However, keep in mind that if you're using TOR that there are still some precautions that TOR recommends and you can read them here. I would recommend reading them as they explain why you should not automatically open a DOC or PDF file while using TOR.

carls365

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 09:07:10 PM »
Thanks JimB, it's nice to find a forum where bible truth is spoken. Yes, I have the TOR bundle and have seen the video and thanks for the heads up on not opening certain DOCS and PDF files, I missed reading that.

I deleted Google but very unfortunately, I check into Facebook ONLY because all my classmates are there and they roped me into joining. But I don't share any personal info with FB and never use any of the apps they try to get you to use.

It's funny I checked into FB from TOR and FB said something like, "unrecognized, perhaps a fraud attempt", and it sent me email telling me of the questionable login..haha!

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 03:00:18 PM »
For those who use StartPage for a search engine you might find their latest announcement about their new security policy interesting.

https://www.startpage.com/eng/press/startpage-privacy-gets-better.html