Author Topic: "Works" a loveless, Christless Religion  (Read 4953 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
"Works" a loveless, Christless Religion
« on: April 07, 2012, 08:31:24 AM »
In Christ's day, the Pharisees thought highly of themselves, but they were really in a worse condition than the publicans they despised. The publicans were less bigoted and self-sufficient, and thus were more open to the influence of truth. Jesus said to the rabbis, “Go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice.” Thus He showed that while they claimed to expound the word of God, they were wholly ignorant of its spirit. Priests and scribes and rulers were fixed in a rut of ceremonies and traditions. Their hearts had become contracted, like the dried-up wine skins to which He had compared them. While they remained satisfied with a legal religion, it was impossible for them to become the depositaries of the living truth of heaven. They thought their own righteousness all-sufficient, and did not desire that love should be brought into their religion. They believed their good works were sufficient to earn salvation. The faith that works by love and purifies the soul could find no place for union with the religion of the Pharisees, made up of ceremonies and the injunctions of men. A legal religion can never lead souls to Christ; for it is a loveless, Christless religion. Fasting or prayer that is actuated by a self-justifying spirit is an abomination in the sight of God. The solemn assembly for worship, the round of religious ceremonies, the external humiliation, the imposing sacrifice, proclaim that the doer of these things regards himself as righteous, and as entitled to heaven; but it is all a deception. Our own works can never purchase salvation.

Man must be emptied of self before he can be, in the fullest sense, a believer in Jesus. When self is renounced, then the Lord can make man a new creature. New bottles can contain the new wine. The love of Christ will animate the believer with new life. In him who looks unto the Author and Finisher of our faith the character of Christ will be manifest.  On the other hand, Jesus speaks to many professors of religion today "Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: I counsel thee to buy of Me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear." Revelation 3:17, 18. To these, the righteousness of Christ is as a robe unworn, a fountain untouched. In the life of the Pharisee who expounds the law, but has no love, we may see by his works that he has no salvation, for he is destitute of the fruits of God's Spirit.

Jesus warned the church that it ought to be diligent in understanding the difference between the true convert and the false. Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.  Matthew 7:13-211.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Peter L

Re: "Works" a loveless, Christless Religion
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 03:17:37 AM »
Matthew 23:25-28
(25)  Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.
(26)  Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.
(27)  Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.
(28)  Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.

The Pharisees only had an outward experience, we cannot just be surface Christians we need to worship God in spirit and truth.
Revelation 3:20
(20)  Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 07:29:51 AM »
Amen!! We need to be changed from the inside out. We need new hearts. You have gotten to the heart of the matter, Peter!  Christ must cleanse our hearts before we can do any good thing. Else all is tainted by selfishness. We are evil by nature and need to have the righteousness of Christ in our hearts. Here is His promise: "Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.   A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them." Ezekiel 36:25-27.

It is indeed a new heart that we need. And we need it daily! And it only comes when we let Jesus in to cleanse it. Until then, it is a Christless, loveless, religion of works that we so often see being played as a game of church. But, when true conversion takes place, then the fruits of the Spirit are seen in the life, for the Spirit is indwelling the heart of the sinner made saint. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Peter L

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 02:26:52 PM »
When Jesus said to worship Him in spirit and truth He was referring to the inward and outward experience.
Romans 1:9
(9)  For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers;
John 14:15
(15)  If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Jesus statement here coming from the 10 commandments is both an inward and outward experience.
Revelation 3:20
(20)  Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 08:36:16 PM »
Amen!  Then we agree that one must be walking in the Spirit to have salvation?

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 06:03:07 AM »
....many measure themselves among themselves, and compare their lives with the lives of others. This should not be. No one but Christ is given us as an example. He is our true Pattern, and each should strive to excel in imitating Him. We are co-workers with Christ, or co-workers with the enemy. We either gather with Christ or scatter abroad. We are decided, wholehearted Christians, or none at all. 1Testimony Treasures 26.1

There are many who, while professing godliness, measure themselves among themselves, and in consequence grow weak in spiritual life. Pride is not overcome. Not until these souls fall on the Rock and are broken will they understand their need. Oh, that they might confess their wrongs before God, and plead for the presence of the Holy Spirit in their lives! Truth and righteousness will flow into the hearts that are cleansed from selfishness and sin, and through the lives of those in whose souls truth occupies the first place.... To Be Like Jesus 219.4

In order to meet the requirements of the law, our faith must grasp the righteousness of Christ, accepting it as our righteousness. Through union with Christ, through acceptance of His righteousness by faith, we may be qualified to work the works of God, to be colaborers with Christ. If you are willing to drift along with the current of evil, and do not cooperate with the heavenly agencies in restraining transgression in your family, and in the church, in order that everlasting righteousness may be brought in, you do not have faith....  1SM 374.1

The LORD is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation.... Exodus 15:2

God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 1 Corinthians 1:30

AS Christ becomes the righteousness of the penitent sinner, he or she will no longer consider that righteousness as filthy rags.
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Glen

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 06:30:03 AM »
....our faith must grasp the righteousness of Christ, accepting it as our righteousness. Through union with Christ, through acceptance of His righteousness by faith, we may be qualified to work the works of God....cooperate with the heavenly agencies in restraining transgression in (our) family, and in the church....  1SM 374.1[/color]

We may have the faith of Jesus; that faith that works, glorying in Him, alone.
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 06:33:43 AM »
Yes, Glen, it is a matter of semantics. Many misunderstand.

Our righteousness apart from Christ is filthy rags. But, the character of the true convert reveals the righteousness of Christ. It is Christ working through the human agent. It is His Spirit seen in the life of all who are truly abiding in Him. When we are in a converted state we are partakers of His divine nature.

Glen

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 07:05:19 AM »
Yes; the work of Christ in the life of the Believer is the Christ-life. As I've heard the term "it's only semantics", before, the one using the term attempted to say that I and they were saying the same thing; however, in the case of the Chistian, "works" is that work filled with Christ's fulness, a love"ful", fulfilling of the Commandments of God. This is true Religion.