Author Topic: Are You Tempted to be Discouraged?  (Read 36579 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Are You Tempted to be Discouraged?
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2012, 08:51:43 PM »
Discouraged? Why would a Christian be discouraged?  Yes, "unbelief".  What can happen that is not for our good as we abide in Christ? "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28. When things appear to be going badly, we have this promise also:  "And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;  And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us." Romans 5:3-5.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Vicki

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 08:01:41 AM »
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. - John 16:33

Contemplating "be of good cheer for I have overcome the world" puts all the trials we have into perspective. Our Creator died for us that we might truly live. Without that there is definite reason to be discouraged. With Jesus, with an understanding of His love and the reasons for our trials, there is definite reason for cheer.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 09:07:38 AM »
Amen!!  "Let not your heart be troubled, ye believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto Myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know."

At all times and in all places, in all sorrows and in all afflictions, when the outlook seems dark and the future perplexing, and we feel helpless and alone, the Comforter will be sent in answer to the prayer of
faith. Circumstances may separate us from every earthly friend; but no circumstance, no distance, can separate us from the heavenly Comforter. Wherever we are, wherever we may go, He is always at our right hand to support, sustain, uphold, and cheer. DA 669
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 07:10:31 PM »
The Lord wills not the death of any sinner, but that all should come to repentance. His mercies are without number, and he will not leave those for whom he has given the ransom of his life to become the sport of Satan's temptations. All heaven is given to those who believe in Jesus Christ as their personal Saviour. No soul can more dishonor God than by professing to believe in Christ, and yet go in mourning and sorrow to present to the world the aspect of orphans. "The Son of man is come to save that which was lost. How think ye? if a man have a hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and goeth into the mountains, and seeketh that which is gone astray? And if so be that he find it, verily I say unto you, he rejoiceth more of that sheep, than of the ninety and nine which went not astray. Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish."  {ST, January 3, 1895 par. 2} 
     The Lord does not leave his wounded and bruised sheep to the power of Satan to be torn to pieces. He is ever strengthening his own in their weakness. He delivers those who are tried and tempted from the power of Satan. The Lord never forsakes the soul that puts his trust in him. Those who claim to be the sons and daughters of God must trust always in Jesus. {ST, January 3, 1895 par. 3}

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2012, 07:37:08 PM »
As the Son of man, Christ would stand loyal to God. Thus it would be shown that Satan had not gained complete control of the human race, and that his claim to the world was false. All who desired deliverance from his power would be set free. {DA 114.3} 

In every temptation the weapon of His warfare was the word of God. Satan demanded of Christ a miracle as a sign of His divinity. But that which is greater than all miracles, a firm reliance upon a "Thus saith the Lord," was a sign that could not be controverted. {DA 120.1}

Often the tempter comes to us as he came to Christ, arraying before us our weakness and infirmities. He hopes to discourage the soul, and to break our hold on God. Then he is sure of his prey. If we would meet him as Jesus did, we should escape many a defeat. {DA 120.2}

When we learn the power of His word, we shall not follow the suggestions of Satan in order to obtain food or to save our lives. Our only questions will be, What is God's command? and what His promise? Knowing these, we shall obey the one, and trust the other.  {DA 121.2} 

He would not have us intimidated and discouraged by the assaults of the serpent. "Be of good cheer," He says; "I have overcome the world." John 16:33.  {DA 122.3}

When assailed by temptation, look not to circumstances or to the weakness of self, but to the power of the word. All its strength is yours. "Thy word," says the psalmist, "have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against Thee." "By the word of Thy lips I have kept me from the paths of the destroyer." Psalm 119:11; 17:4.  {DA 123.4}
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2012, 07:30:46 AM »
Amen!! There is power in God's grace. It is not just a word, but it is the transforming power that lifts us above the trials and temptations in this world.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2012, 04:46:07 PM »
Keep your wants, your joys, your sorrows, your cares, and your fears before God. You cannot burden Him; you cannot weary Him. He who numbers the hairs of your head is not indifferent to the wants of His children. “The Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.” James 5:11. His heart of love is touched by our sorrows and even by our utterances of them. Take to Him everything that perplexes the mind. Nothing is too great for Him to bear, for He holds up worlds, He rules over all the affairs of the universe. Nothing that in any way concerns our peace is too small for Him to notice. There is no chapter in our experience too dark for Him to read; there is no perplexity too difficult for Him to unravel. No calamity can befall the least of His children, no anxiety harass the soul, no joy cheer, no sincere prayer escape the lips, of which our heavenly Father is unobservant, or in which He takes no immediate interest. “He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds.” Psalm 147:3. The relations between God and each soul are as distinct and full as though there were not another soul upon the earth to share His watchcare, not another soul for whom He gave His beloved Son. {SC 100.1}

------------------------

Then let us educate our hearts and lips to speak the praise of God for His matchless love. Let us educate our souls to be hopeful and to abide in the light shining from the cross of Calvary. Never should we forget that we are children of the heavenly King, sons and daughters of the Lord of hosts. It is our privilege to maintain a calm repose in God. {MH 253.1}
“Let the peace of God rule in your hearts; ... and be ye thankful.” Colossians 3:15. Forgetting our own difficulties and troubles, let us praise God for an opportunity to live for the glory of His name. Let the fresh blessings of each new day awaken praise in our hearts for these tokens of His loving care. When you open your eyes in the morning, thank God that He has kept you through the night. Thank Him for His peace in your heart. Morning, noon, and night, let gratitude as a sweet perfume ascend to heaven. {MH 253.2}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2012, 04:57:10 PM »
“Let the peace of God rule in your hearts; ... and be ye thankful.” Colossians 3:15. Forgetting our own difficulties and troubles, let us praise God for an opportunity to live for the glory of His name. Let the fresh blessings of each new day awaken praise in our hearts for these tokens of His loving care. When you open your eyes in the morning, thank God that He has kept you through the night. Thank Him for His peace in your heart. Morning, noon, and night, let gratitude as a sweet perfume ascend to heaven. {MH 253.2}

Amen and amen!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2012, 04:27:52 AM »
Of all creatures the sheep is one of the most timid and helpless, and in the East the shepherd's care for his flock is untiring and incessant. Anciently as now there was little security outside of the walled towns. Marauders from the roving border tribes, or beasts of prey from their hiding places in the rocks, lay in wait to plunder the flocks. The shepherd watched his charge, knowing that it was at the peril of his own life. Jacob, who kept the flocks of Laban in the pasture grounds of Haran, describing his own unwearied labor, said, "In the day the drought consumed me, and the frost by night; and my sleep departed from mine eyes." Genesis 31:40. And it was while guarding his father's sheep that the boy David, single-handed, encountered the lion and the bear, and rescued from their teeth the stolen lamb.  {DA 478.4} 
     As the shepherd leads his flock over the rocky hills, through forest and wild ravines, to grassy nooks by the riverside; as he watches them on the mountains through the lonely night, shielding from robbers, caring tenderly for the sickly and feeble, his life comes to be one with theirs. A strong and tender attachment unites him to the objects of his care. However large the flock, the shepherd knows every sheep. Every one has its name, and responds to the name at the shepherd's call.  {DA 479.1} 
     As an earthly shepherd knows his sheep, so does the divine Shepherd know His flock that are scattered throughout the world. "Ye My flock, the flock of My pasture, are men, and I am your God, saith the Lord God." Jesus says, "I have called thee by thy name; thou art Mine." "I have graven thee upon the palms of My hands." Ezekiel 34:31; Isaiah 43:1; 49:16.  {DA 479.2}
     Jesus knows us individually, and is touched with the feeling of our infirmities. He knows us all by name. He knows the very house in which we live, the name of each occupant. He has at times given directions to His servants to go to a certain street in a certain city, to such a house, to find one of His sheep.  {DA 479.3} 
     Every soul is as fully known to Jesus as if he were the only one for whom the Saviour died. The distress of every one touches His heart. The cry for aid reaches His ear. He came to draw all men unto Himself. He bids them, "Follow Me," and His Spirit moves upon their hearts to draw them to come to Him. Many refuse to be drawn. Jesus knows who they are. He also knows who gladly hear His call, and are ready to come under His pastoral care. He says, "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me." He cares for each one as if there were not another on the face of the earth.  {DA 480.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2012, 04:57:15 AM »
What love to be known by Jesus!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2012, 10:23:57 AM »
There are times when I park my eyes upon this topic because the temptation to be discouraged has shown itself. What is written within these pages is so very "encouraging" that when I meditate upon them, the temptation loses its grip until finally, it vanishes.

Witness the power of the Holy Spirit in this. We are living in those days just before the coming of the Son of God when the cumulative effect of sin on man, beast and earth is at its apparent height. We think it cannot get worse, yet we are told it will. The land was filled with violence. War, crime, murder, was the order of the day. Just so will it be before Christ's second coming . (MS 24, 1891)

The world is becoming more and more devoted to the service of sin. Each age, as it passes, bequeaths to the one following its accumulation of contamination. Satan is the god of the world. With despotic power he rules in palace and temple, working with intense earnestness to overthrow every plan set in operation to counteract the increasing disregard of God's law. The destructive power of his agencies is dedicated to bringing destruction and death into the world. In his hands temptation has become a science. Under his control, men sin by rule.  {RH, February 11, 1902 par. 18} 

Today “there is an accumulation of misery that it is not possible for language to describe.” Inspiration’s term, “accumulation of contamination,” aptly fits what is swirling around us.  We are living in the time of the end. Thrones and churches have united to oppose God's purposes. The association of man with man, which God designed should be a means of strengthening goodness and happiness, has been a means of strengthening evil and of developing tendencies to rebellion. Men have assumed despotic power, and human laws have been put in the place of the law of God. {18MR 185.1}

It is discouraging to see and exceedingly discouraging to experience. God never, ever meant that it should be so, yet we live through it every single day. It should be enough, we say, that the whole conscience of man would see it and recognize it; it should be enough, we say, that Christ would consider the earth’s cup full and put an immediate end to it, but it is so that the fullness of sin’s effect has not yet been seen. Can we fathom it and how can we bear it without great despair for His sake and ours? I see so many in my congregation crying and weeping between the porch and the altar for besetting sins in the church, and this is without knowledge of what is happening in the larger world church. To some degree, they are sheltered from it. It is quite possible if they knew the things we have come to know, it would come very close to crushing their fragile hope. Some, He will place in the grave to save them (CH 375), for they cannot endure what is to come upon the earth. It makes perfect sense and is a magnificent display of His mercy toward us.

All of this notwithstanding, here we are “in the accumulation of light and knowledge” in direct contrast to the accumulation of sin and degradation heaped upon us, generation after generation. Is the Spirit any less powerful than it was throughout the history of the world? No, yea, the display of His power will increase well beyond what was witnessed at Pentecost and we will see Him move in ways that will astonish the mind and rejuvenate the soul. Yes, we are the living generation most dwarfed through our physical inheritance; however, we stand light-years ahead of our forefathers “in the accumulation of light and knowledge.” And despite our disadvantaged state, we have unfolding revelations those before us did not have. Is it any wonder? One compensates the other. God is truly merciful. He gives us what we need - when we need it the most.

It is no happenstance that while composing this post, Elder Thurber would request that I enter a new SDA hymnwriters’ song in Beautiful Hymns. It fits the message to all of us who may be prone to the temptation of discouragement. There is only One solution and this song describes it.

O let me walk with Thee my God,
As Enoch walked in days of old;
Place Thou my trembling hand in Thine,
And sweet communion with Thee hold;
E'en thought the path I may not see,
Yet, Jesus, let me walk with Thee.

I cannot, dare to walk alone;
The tempest rages in the sky,
A thousand snares beset my feet,
A thousand foes are lurking nigh.
Still Thou the raging of the sea,
O Master let me walk with Thee.

If I may rest my hand in Thine,
I'll count the joys of earth but loss,
And firmly bravely journey on;
I'll bear the banner of the cross
Till Zion's glorious gates I see;
Yet, Savior, let me walk with Thee.

Music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGGeH3MIPtU

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2012, 09:52:39 AM »
Speaking of singing a song I thought this was appropriate for the topic. At first it might not sound encouraging but the hope of singing the song that He wants to teach us is encouraging.

In the full light of day, and in hearing of the music of other voices, the caged bird will not sing the song that his master seeks to teach him. He learns a snatch of this, a trill of that, but never a separate and entire melody. But the master covers the cage, and places it where the bird will listen to the one song he is to sing. In the dark, he tries and tries again to sing that song until it is learned, and he breaks forth in perfect melody. Then the bird is brought forth, and ever after he can sing that song in the light. Thus God deals with His children. He has a song to teach us, and when we have learned it amid the shadows of affliction we can sing it ever afterward.  {MH 472.2} 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2012, 01:52:26 PM »
That is such a beautiful quote, Jim.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2012, 07:49:14 AM »

Psa 73:25  Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.
Psa 73:26  My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2012, 11:22:30 AM »
Psa 34:17 The righteous cry, and the LORD heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles.
Psa 34:18 The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
Psa 34:19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivereth him out of them all.
Psa 34:20  He keepeth all his bones: not one of them is broken.
Psa 34:21 Evil shall slay the wicked: and they that hate the righteous shall be desolate.
Psa 34:22  The LORD redeemeth the soul of his servants: and none of them that trust in him shall be desolate.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2012, 11:32:13 AM »
Tremendous, Jim!

... and none of them that trust in him shall be desolate.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2012, 05:58:30 PM »
Let him who is struggling against the power of appetite look to the Saviour in the wilderness of temptation. See Him in His agony upon the cross, as He exclaimed, "I thirst." He has endured all that it is possible for us to bear. His victory is ours.  {DA 123.1}

Every promise in God's word is ours. "By every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God" are we to live. When assailed by temptation, look not to circumstances or to the weakness of self, but to the power of the word. All its strength is yours. "Thy word," says the psalmist, "have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against Thee." "By the word of Thy lips I have kept me from the paths of the destroyer." Ps. 119:11; 17:4.  {DA 123.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2012, 06:54:29 AM »
"There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God [is] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."  1 Cor. 10:13  God's promises are precious!

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2012, 04:32:40 PM »
Be not discouraged; be not fainthearted. Although you may have temptations, although you may be beset by the wily foe, yet if you have the fear of God before you, angels that excel in strength will be sent to your help, and you can be more than a match for the powers of darkness. Jesus lives. He died to make a way of escape for the fallen race, and He lives today to make intercession for us, that we may be exalted to His own right hand. Hope in God. The world is traveling the broad way; and as you travel in the narrow way, and have to contend with principalities and powers, and to meet the opposition of foes, remember that provision has been made for you. Help has been laid upon One that is mighty, and through Him you can conquer. {2T 591.3}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2012, 07:53:47 PM »
It is a law of nature that our thoughts and feelings are encouraged and strengthened as we give them utterance. While words express thoughts, it is also true that thoughts follow words. If we would give more expression to our faith, rejoice more in the blessings that we know we have,--the great mercy and love of God,--we should have more faith and greater joy. MH 253

He was about to tell them of the suffering that awaited Him. But first He went away alone, and prayed that their hearts might be prepared to receive His words. Upon joining them, He did not at once communicate that which He desired to impart. Before doing this, He gave them an opportunity of confessing their faith in Him that they might be strengthened for the coming trial. He asked, "Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?"  {DA 411.2}