Author Topic: 27 Principles of Music  (Read 76620 times)

Elder John Thurber

• Moderator at Rest
    • http://
Re: 27 Principles of Music
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2010, 11:52:16 AM »
Principle #8: The music of Christ will not be the same as the world’s.

Ephesians 4:11-14 (NSB)
11. “and He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelist, and some as pastors and teachers,
12. “for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ;”
13. “until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ.
14. “As a result, we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves, and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming.”

Every single gift God blesses us with, is designed to bring us to the point where we can praise Him forever. He wants to change us and make us new people!  Some of these gifts are Spiritual like the ones listed in Ephesians 4:11-14.
   Spiritual gifts should edify the body of Christ, build the saints to spiritual maturity and equip them for ministry. These are the distinguishing marks of the Christian.
            James 1:17 “Every good thing bestowed and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation, or shifting shadow.”
   Did you catch that last phrase?
   ‘with whom there is no variation, or shifting shadow.’ No mixing of God’s music with the world’s music, whether It be words or music, or both.
   James 1:27 (NAB) “This is pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father, to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the World.”

Let us consider one more text that speaks of the total commitment to God.

1John 2:15-17 (NSB)
15. “Do not love the world, nor the things in the world. If any one loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.”
16. “For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not of the Father, but is from the world.
17. “And the world is passing away, and also it’s lust; but the one who does the will of God abides forever.”   

Notable Quote. (Great Controversy page 509) “Conformity to worldly customs converts the church to the world; it never converts the world to Christ. Familiarity with sin will inevitably cause it to appear less repulsive…”

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2010, 02:20:32 PM »
Amen!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Elder John Thurber

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2010, 06:02:03 AM »
Principle #9: If we come to Jesus and surrender to Him just as we are, He will change our tastes in music.

Psalm 40:1-3
1. “I waited patiently for the Lord; and He inclined unto me, and heard my cry.
2. He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.
3. And put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the Lord.” 

It’s a new song! A different type of music, different than what we have had before. So it will not be like the world.
   Music changes people and when we choose God’s music it changes us and we become like Christ in our desires of living and loving.

James 3:13 NAS “Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? Let him show out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.”
   “Ye shall know them by their fruits…” (Matthew 7:16-20
   So it will be very easy to tell by the way professed Christian musicians live, act and dress and carry themselves ,if what they are, sing about ,really is inside.
   “For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the spirit what is contrary to the sinful. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want.”  (Galatians 5:17, NIV)
   That’s why combining holy word with worldly music is a contradiction. When religious words are combined with rock, it completely undercuts the message of the lyrics.
   “If then you have been raised up with Christ keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on things that are on  the earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory.” (Colossians 3:1-4, NAS)
   “What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin still live in it? May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it? Or do you not know that all of us that have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death? Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, in order that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.” (Romans 6:1-4  NAS)
   “You adulteresses, do you know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.” (James 4:4, NAS)
   The texts show the tension between what is our natural bent in life, and what Christ wants us to do for us. The things of the old life are not compatible with the new life. They simply can’t work together.
   So what should we do if, like so many others, we have been listening to the music of the world? First of all, it is important to know that we can depend on God to change our tastes. Sometimes we get discouraged, we know what God wants to do for us and yet it is difficult to change, yet God says to us Come as you are, and as you grow in My grace victory will be yours and the music of heaven will be yours for eternity.

When I was a teenager and was baptized, the congregation sang this hymn as I was baptized. It was so beautiful as I came up out of the water and my loved ones was singing this hymn it became the beginning of a love relationship with my Lord that is still growing every year. Praise His Name.

Just as I am, without one plea
         But that thy blood was shed for me.         
                                    And that Thou bid’st me come to Thee.
                                    O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, Thou wilt receive,
         Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
         Because Thy promise I believe,
         O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

---written by Charlotte Elliott

Church Hymnal Page 314

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2010, 06:03:37 PM »
Amen!! God does indeed change us!  We all have been changed if we have truly been converted. We do not do those things that we did before. We are new creatures in Christ Jesus! God has placed upon my heart to always have an altar call after presenting the gospel message. At times some in the church get tired, but that makes no difference. We do not know when the Spirit is moving on a heart to the point of full surrender. And, even if the person is not to that point today, the call will awaken in his heart the knowledge that God is calling Him to come forward and declare His love for Jesus. Just as I am is just the message that aids that call. I don't how many times we have sung that song while pleading with hearts to yield, but it has been a lot. I never tire of hearing the message and tune over and over. Praise God for that song!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2010, 05:15:33 PM »
Elder Thurber, thank you for the encouraging words you gave us in November's newsletter. I don't believe many of us give much thought to these things until we see it in black and white. Thank you for the presentation.

What you have described in Principle #9 cuts to the chase on a lot of the musical worship difficulty we see already in the church with much more waiting to come in should the watchmen allow it. We are exceedingly grateful God has placed His dedicated servants throughout churches in the world to guard His sanctuary against musical desecration.

What is holy and consecrated is spiritually discerned. Members promoting "self" through music are blind to those things. We pray for their whole hearts to be surrendered to Jesus so their musical offerings can be washed, cleansed through the blood of Jesus, and become acceptable to Him.

Elder John Thurber

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2010, 01:05:51 PM »
Thank you dear ones for your thoughts and and understanding, I am blessed by your spiritual applications of the principles. This next one is a tough one to write be cause it can be misunderstood and I look forward to more of your post's

Principle #10 Our job is to judge music, not people.

In many weeks of prayer from time to time, I’ve met many young people who are concerned about the music in their lives. At times they even wonder if Jesus can still love them, after the music they’ve been listening to. At the same time, however, God wants our lives to reflect more of His life as we grow in Him. He has also promised that He would give us that new song, Psalm 40:1-3

We should not judge our young people, for God’s mercy is still open to receive, and the opportunity to forsake our sin is available right now.

Ezekiel 34:11,12   “For thus saith the Lord God, behold, I, even I, will search my sheep, and seek them out.
   As a shepherd seeketh out his flock in the day that he is among his sheep that are scattered; so will I seek out my sheep, and will deliver them out of all places where they have been scattered in the cloudy and dark day.”

“O soul lost in sin, however far you have wandered, into whatever depths of degradation and misery you have sunken, God recognizes you as his own, precious to His heart of love.  You cannot be safe or happy without Him, and He cannot be satisfied without you.  Amid the angels that surround the throne, He still yearns to recover you.” (General Conference Bulletin, December 1, 1895)

As Christians we ought to be very careful about judging someone else’s song.  We need to set our own hearts in tune with Jesus.  The closer our relationship becomes to Him the more pure will be the song He can give us.  So we must, on an individual basis, choose what we are going to do for the Lord in music.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2010, 11:43:37 AM »
posts regarding music in our church have been moved to SDA Music
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Won Bae

« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2010, 02:12:59 PM »
Just because some one's taste in music has been changed it does not necessarily mean it is His work. At the same time we must consider the culture where the music is played and appreciated.  In some cultures they play sacred music as they think they respect God, but to some others the music can be down right irritating.  I have experienced on my own.  I do not want to mention in this public forum lest I offend some people, but there are some scared music played in out denomination that I just abhor but I am sure those people enjoy the music very much and God accepts them.

Won

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2010, 03:54:25 PM »
Brother Won, God is a god of variety. I also believe that there is more than one style of music that is acceptable to God. However, what is acceptable can never based on culture. Neither do I think that we can just leave it in the hands of personal "taste" because unless one is found abiding Christ we will gravitate towards the things of a baser nature in every area of our life including music.

Elder Thurber has laid out some very good principles when it comes to appropriate music and unless I missed something I don't remember that any of them had their deciding point on culture.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

colporteur

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2010, 04:04:08 PM »
Remember that at the time of Constantine the culture was to worship statues. People thought they were worshipping the true God when they bowed before supposedly Christian images.

It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2010, 04:28:37 PM »
Just because some one's taste in music has been changed it does not necessarily mean it is His work. At the same time we must consider the culture where the music is played and appreciated.  In some cultures they play sacred music as they think they respect God, but to some others the music can be down right irritating.  I have experienced on my own.  I do not want to mention in this public forum lest I offend some people, but there are some scared music played in out denomination that I just abhor but I am sure those people enjoy the music very much and God accepts them.

Won

Oh, my brother, Won Bae ... where have you been? I have missed you.

Well, if you argue culture-appropriate music ... what is the culture of heaven? That is what we should be experiencing down here in preparation for heavenly choirs. Do you think we will like it because it is different from our culture? 

We had this culture discussion when we were studying ordination. I think you saw there is no culture consideration when applying the word of God to our lives and the life of His church.

Just because some one's taste in music has been changed it does not necessarily mean it is His work.

Oh, Won! I want to snatch you out of that fire! Every good thing comes from God. It cannot come from any other place.

Let's go forward with Elder Thurber's 27 Principles of Music. We can discuss this at the same link Richard posted above. This is a public board - the other is private. Thanks, Dr. Bae. Don't be gone so long next time! 

Won Bae

« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2010, 06:43:45 PM »
Sybil,

Thanks for you kind "welcome back" note.  I truely appreciate it.
I posted a new question under "Healthful Living".  Check it out and give me your opinio, please.
Thanks, again.

Won

Elder John Thurber

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2010, 09:32:00 AM »
Principle #11: We are not to give up on God’s children, for many who seem to have little or no spiritual potential will be truly converted and become ardent workers in God’s cause.

Because our youth are under great pressure, we need to love them and be patient with them. We must understand that there are many voices to listen to, and these voices make it difficult to choose what is God’s and what is counterfeit. We have great young people who will rise up and be faithful to follow God’s leading in their lives. God is putting His hand on those with whom we are sometimes impatient.

“…Often those whom we pass by with indifference because we judge them from outward appearance, have in them the best materials for workers and will repay all the efforts bestowed on them…” (Gospel Workers p. 208

Let us worry about our own house being in order first. Even then we must not judge others by our standards. We must test the standard by Scripture and the inspired writings to the church. Let us pray not for people to come up to our standard, but to God’s standard, which all are striving to reach. There may be music programs we are not comfortable in participating in, and our absence may be giving a message, but our tongue can ruin all the good that  could have been done. My prayer is that all God’s children may reach the high standard He would have us reach.

“…When we reach the standard that the Lord would have us reach, worldlings will regard Seventh-day Adventists as odd, singular, strait-laced extremist…” (Fundamentals of Christian Education page 289  

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2010, 03:57:44 PM »
“…When we reach the standard that the Lord would have us reach, worldlings will regard Seventh-day Adventists as odd, singular, strait-laced extremist…” (Fundamentals of Christian Education page 289  

That was surely my observation before I became one of them!  But, then that was many years ago.

Tim2

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2010, 07:22:44 AM »
 :D

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2010, 10:23:43 AM »

That was surely my observation before I became one of them!  But, then that was many years ago.

I think that same thing happened to many of us. ;)

Elder John Thurber

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2010, 08:42:06 AM »
Principle #12: While music is one of the greatest blessings given by God, it is also one of Satan’s primary tools to ensnare the young.

I was preaching one Sabbath at a college church, and after the service I was stopped by a man who related this story:

“Two years ago you were at our camp meeting giving a seminar on music. I left in disgust when you talked about the influence of rock music on young people. My boys were in their early teens at the time, and my wife and I were also involved in rock music, and didn’t see the evil influence. It gave us an exhilarating feeling, an escape from our problems.
   Now two years later I’m coming to ask you to pray for my boys for they have left home, and are into drugs and rock to the point that I fear for their lives.
   My wife and I have since stopped our habit of listing to rock and renewed an active relationship with the church. I am happy to say we are strong in the Lord again.”
   Throughout my youth ministry this story has been repeated many, many times. I assured him that God has not given up on his children:
   “The love of God still yearns over the one who has chosen to separate from Him, and He sets in operation influences to bring him back to the Father's house…” (Christ’s Object Lessons page 202)
   What a wonderful assurance that God loves us so much that He continually strives with all of us when we stray. Let us not sit in judgment about our youth, rather, let us be in prayer for them. Please consider the words of inspiration to our church concerning youth and music.

“How can I endure the thought that most of our youth in this age will come short of everlasting life: Oh that the sound of instrumental music might cease and they no more while away so much precious time in pleasing their own fancy…” (2Testimonies  page 144)

“I feel alarmed as I witness everywhere the frivolity of young men and young women who profess to believe the truth. God does not seem to be in their thoughts. Their minds are filled with nonsense. Their conversation is only empty, vain talk. They have a keen ear for music, and Satan knows what organs to excite to animate, engross, and charm the mind so that Christ is not desired. The spiritual longings of the soul for divine knowledge, for a growth in grace, are wanting. I was shown that the youth must take a higher stand and make the word of God the man of their counsel and their guide. Solemn responsibilities rest upon the young, which they lightly regard. The introduction of music into their homes, instead of inciting to holiness and spirituality, has been the means of diverting their minds from the truth. Frivolous songs and the popular sheet music of the day seem congenial to their taste. The instruments of music have taken time which should have been devoted to prayer. Music, when not abused, is a great blessing; but when put to a wrong use, it is a terrible curse. It excites, but does not impart that strength and courage which the Christian can find only at the throne of grace while humbly making known his wants and with strong cries and tears pleading for heavenly strength to be fortified against the powerful temptations of the evil one. Satan is leading the young captive.” (1T pages 496-497 )

Elder James White showed great concern about music and youth, and spoke about it during a sermon he preached in Battle Creek in 1869.  

“There are those in whose hearts has been inspired an extreme love of worldly amusements. Singing is not to be objected to by any means, If held subordinate to the principles of religion. Would to God that we all sung. But it has been turned to a bad account. And then various other amusements have been advocated as being healthful, innocent, and even necessary. It has been stated that if you take them away from the young, there would be a vacancy which nothing else could fill, and they would run to ruin. This is of the Devils arguments.” (Sermon by James White, February 13, 1869, R. & H. March 16, 1869)

Eternal things have little weight with the youth. Angels of God are in tears as they write in the roll the words and acts of professed Christians. Angels are hovering around yonder dwelling. The young are there assembled; there is the sound of vocal and instrumental music. Christians are gathered there, but what is that you hear? It is a song, a frivolous ditty, fit for the dance hall. Behold the pure angels gather their light closer around them, and darkness envelops those in that dwelling. The angels are moving from the scene. Sadness is upon their countenances. Behold, they are weeping. This I saw repeated a number of times all through the ranks of Sabbathkeepers, and especially in-----. Music has occupied the hours which should have been devoted to prayer. Music is the idol which many professed Sabbathkeeping Christians worship. Satan has no objection to music if he can make that a channel through which to gain access to the minds of the youth. Anything will suit his purpose that will divert the mind from God and engage the time which should be devoted to His service. He works through the means which will exert the strongest influence to hold the largest numbers in a pleasing infatuation, while they are paralyzed by his power. When turned to good account, music is a blessing; but it is often made one of Satan’s most attractive agencies to ensnare souls. When abused, it leads the unconsecrated to pride, vanity, and folly. When allowed to take the place of devotion and prayer, it is a terrible curse. Young persons assemble to sing, and, although professed Christians, frequently dishonor God and their faith by their frivolous conversation and their choice of music. Sacred music is not congenial to their taste. I was directed to the plain teachings of God’s word, which have been passed by unnoticed. In the judgment all these words of inspiration will condemn those who have not heeded them. (1T page 505,506)

Notable Quotes

“Satan is continually seeking to overcome the people of God by breaking down the barriers which separate them from the world…” (Great Controversy page 508)

“Conformity to worldly customs converts the church to the world; It never converts the world to Christ. Familiarity with sin will inevitably cause it to appear less repulsive…” (Great Controversy page 509)

“Let none suppose that they can live a life of selfishness, and then, having served their own interest, enter into the joy of their Lord. In the joy of unselfish love they could not participate. They would not be fitted for the heavenly courts. They could not appreciate the pure atmosphere of love that pervades heaven. The voices of the angels and the music of their harps would not satisfy them. To their minds the science of heaven would be an enigma.” (Christ’s Object Lessons pages, 364-365)

“I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the lord.” (Psalm 40:1-3, NIV)  

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2010, 12:53:56 PM »
Amen!! Thank you, Elder Thurber for sharing these precious truths. It hit me very much that music is indeed a "god" to many in and out of the church. I just watched a video of a group of young people singing and bopping to the beat of the music. The people worship not only the music, but those who make it. I think this is one of the draws to encourage young people to make music. They will be as gods to many.

You have studied, taught, and sung for many years. Yet, I do not see that music is your god. Share with us how it is that music has not become your god even though you have devoted much of your life to it.

Elder John Thurber

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
Brother Richard, Music is not my God, because the God of music is my wonderful God. I want to sing and praise Him only with music that is acceptable to Him, and the angels. When I was young I was asked to do the solos for the “Handel’s Messiah”  for several years. I began to notice that the only ones to be paid, and praised were the soloist’s Their backgrounds and fame wer written in the program, etc. That is not to say that Handel did not write beautiful music from scripture, nor am I trying to tell someone else what their taste should be, but here is a quote or two that has changed my thinking ever since I found them.
   “When professing Christians reach the high standard which it is their privilege to reach, the simplicity of Christ will be maintained in all our worship. Forms and ceremonies and musical accomplishments are not the strength of the church. Yet these things have taken the place that God should have even as they did in the worship of the Jews.” (Manuscript 157, 1899)

“In their efforts to reach the people, the Lords messengers are not to follow the ways of the world. In the meetings that are held, they are not to depend on worldly singers and theatrical display to awaken an interest. How can those who have no interest in the word of God, who have never read His word with a sincere desire to understand its truths, be expected to sing with the spirit and the understanding? How can their hearts be in harmony with the words of sacred song? How can the heavenly choir join in music that is only form?”

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2010, 03:02:47 PM »
Amen!! When Jesus has His rightful place in our hearts, there is no room for an idol!! 

Music is an idol to many in and out of the church. One of the problems I have with much of the modern music is not only the words and melody, but the unconsecrated "performers".  There is too much of the person. Jesus is not seen. It is contrary to the religion of Christ which is selflessness.

In the end it will be clearly seen by us all, that the real battle in life was not with others, or even Satan, but with self. May self die, and stay dead!  Thank you for your love of God, my dear brother.