Author Topic: Starting Seeds  (Read 36662 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Re: Starting Seeds
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2014, 06:43:10 AM »
Thanks everyone for the information.

Wally, now that I know I'm on the edge of 5b/6a I'll need to go do some reading to find out what that means. :)

Cp, interesting that you talk about doing onions this year. I was kinda of planning to do a larger section of onions myself this year but for some reason I though onions needed to be in the ground last fall. If indeed I can start my own onion seedlings this year I will be doing it.

However, this year I will be cutting back on my tomatoes. I had no idea they could produce so much. I'll be cutting them down to one row.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

colporteur

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2014, 06:59:37 AM »
 JimB;

I have never planted onions in the fall. For green onions that you harvest while small they can be planted almost anytime during the year and in stages. If you want them to get nice and big however it is best to start  them early in the spring even before last frost date if possible. If you get a late start you can still buy onion plants or bulbs and that will give you a jump start. However, the common store variety will not be heirloom if that is what you are after. If you are going to seed onions I would begin immediately. I have two big plastic trays and will space the seeds about 1-2" apart in rows each direction. Some seed them even closer as they are very durable when separating and tearing roots. Like any plant however the less root damage during transplant the better.

For some reason I have not had good success with garlic unless it is planted the previous fall. I am wondering if there is some kind of benefit with garlic going through the cooling and warming transition that takes place when they have been planted in the fall. I am going to try again this year however to see if I can make it work by planting garlic in the spring. Love onions...Love garlic !
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2014, 10:54:51 PM »
Too early  in your area to plant outdoors?  Start a few seeds indoors. It is more fun and cheaper than buying plants. Lots of info in this thread as to how to  do it.  First time? Start out small with just a few seeds. Tomatoes are easy.  Find a sunny window, maybe a lamp for heat, and a few seeds and some soil.  God  will bless. A good project for the kids.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2014, 07:30:44 AM »
I will second that. Especially since last year was my first year with a garden. I started tomatoes by seed indoors. I really I didn't know what I was doing i just put the seed in the dirt and watered and let the Lord do the rest. I was worried a little at first because my itty-bitty tomatoes that started to grow grew so fast that they fell over but they survived and last summer I got enough tomatoes to eat and can but also enough to can several quarts.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2014, 02:20:49 PM »
The devil has a hard time when God is working with us. Thanks  for sharing, Jim.  Knowing little is not a good reason to not start. Leggy tomatoes can be fixed when transplanted. You bury the legs!!  Lights help, but are not necessary.  For less than $30 a light can be set up that will last many years. And, there are a lot of used fixtures that are cheap. In the end it comes down to how important we think it is to get our garden growing. I have come to think it very important. Now is the learning time. Soon it will be too late to learn.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mark W

« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2014, 09:50:37 AM »
Sorry guys and gals for being quite, but this is a very busy time of the year for me and it seems to not be letting up anytime soon. But that is the way it is with farming, things got to be done at certain times no matter what. Then compound that with carpentry and preaching engagements, I have not much time to breath. I thought I would post a pic of some of the seedlings that I got growing so far though. I have around 4000 heirloom tomato plants up so far waiting to be transplanted, but am in the process of getting a new hoop house finished so i have room for them. God is good, Mark.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2014, 05:09:01 PM »
Mark, whether your know it or not this is encouraging. However, I'm glad it's you thats transplanting 4000 tomato plants and not me. :)

Dorine

« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2014, 04:55:33 AM »
Mark where do you get your trays? And do you place your seeds in cells or fill the whole tray in soil and sow the seeds over the entire surface? What is your potting soil mix? Maybe you have already answered some of these questions. I will go back and check it out.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Mark W

« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2014, 06:40:40 AM »
Jim B, I don't look at what I do as an encouragement! I look at what I do sometimes as insane lol. I am just a man that really really enjoys tilling the soil and watching his labor grow.

And Dorine, the flats you see are what they call 10/20 trays that are for the various inserts they make to put in them. The ones i use have the drain holes in the bottom and yes I just fill them up with a homemade mix. I them sow the seeds in rows on the surface then firm them in and cover. I get mine 100 at a time from a horticulture product distributor, but you should be able to get just a few on ebay. Hope all is well with everyone, God bless.   

Dorine

« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2014, 06:53:28 AM »
 :) Thank you Mark.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2015, 12:30:03 PM »
It takes some time for seeds to sprout and plants to grow. Why not start some seeds indoors to get a start on your spring garden?  Your harvest will be larger over a longer period of time if you start some veggies indoors. What shall we start?

Dorine

« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2015, 05:02:29 PM »
Well I had planned to start some seeds today but we had a big snow storm and I couldn't get to my greenhouse to get my trays and soil. We are stuck and can't get out. Eric shoveled while the winds blew a gale and still is not able to get out. Our snow plow man does not have any place to put the snow anymore and is grumbling because we can't move our two vehicles.  I wanted to plant my peppers and several flowers and herbs. Has anyone started any seeds yet? I'm excited, and looking forward to better production this summer.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2015, 05:21:26 PM »
I have started tomatoes. And am going to start cool weather crops this week. Not quite as excited as last year.  But, I am sure that will change.   :)   Sorry to hear about the snow, Dorine.  That is not good to be locked in your house with no soil or trays!!  :(  God knows.   He will bless your desire to grow your food.

Mark W

« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2015, 07:53:31 PM »
Season has started again for me. got peppers up, eggplant up, broccoli and cauliflower up, and a few dwarf tomatoes up. Still got to wait another week or so for most tomatoes to be planted. But at least I got some green to look at. March came in like a lion for me, so I hope it goes out like a lamb. Got 5000 green bean seed and 5lbs of pea seed coming tomorrow, so yes it won't be long. 

Dorine

« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2015, 06:31:08 AM »
We have been dumped on at least 3 times since my last post. The drifts are deeper than ever. No chance of getting near the greenhouse. It is about 75 ft. from the house with hard frozen icy drifts anywhere from 3 ft. to 5 ft. cutting us off. This is when we really feel our age and physical weaknesses. Not complaining just stating facts. God knows and will provide in His way and in His time.

Richard I hope you will be happier with the results of your efforts this year. Tomatoes were a big challenge to many people in this area too last summer.

Mark you amaze me. I just wish I could come for a visit to see your operation and learn some of your green thumb secrets.
Happy Planting everyone. Looking forward to sharing our experiences again.

Dorine

« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2015, 06:36:55 AM »
Mark, if it's not a secret; would you mind sharing your home made potting soil mix?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2015, 07:47:07 AM »
Dorine, sorry to hear about the weather. Spring is coming soon!!  Start some of your seeds indoors. Do you have lights?

I have started around a hundred tomatoes. They are getting their true leaves, so I am looking to transplant them now. That will require more room, light, and heat.  :(   Our weather is already warm, so they will go outside in a hoophouse.

Thought I would repost Mark's photo from last year.  What a blessing to see how God works with man!

Mark, what do you do with all the beans?  And the pea seeds?

Went to a seed swap last Sunday. It was a blessing to meet others who love to save seeds and cuttings! It was a joy to share seeds and cuttings that I had an abundance of and to receive what others brought! As a society, we have lost this great blessing God intended.

Mark W

« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2015, 05:54:57 PM »
Great to see you had a great time at the seed swap Richard! Personally never been to one for around here they are all on Saturday. But that is fine for I have seed swapping friends in all parts of the world and receive and mail out hundreds of packs of tomatoes alone every year. I see you posted that old picture so you must still be wishing for one lol. Isn't that full yet but it won't be long. about the peas and beans, I do plant a couple pounds of each so as to have enough for canning, freezing, and fresh eating.  Got to love them edible pod peas. The rest of the seed will be put in the freezer for later use. I get it a lot cheaper when I buy it in bulk. A little cool here yet with the ground being froze a little yet, but maybe next week for the peas. God bless and better go for now.

Dorine

« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2015, 06:25:39 PM »
Richard I have a set up in the house for starting my seeds but my soil, pots, trays, and other things I use are stored in the greenhouse. All I have in the house are the grow lights and the shelves they are attached to and the seeds of course. I've never run into this situation before. The snow is hard enough to walk on top of it but the drifts are like the waves of the ocean all over the back yard. It would be too hazardous to navigate.
I have never been to a seed swap for the same reason Mark hasn't. They are always on Sabbath.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2016, 12:24:59 PM »
Well now.....what time is it?  Time is flying by and with all the excitement in the world, it is getting harder to get things done. It is time for some of us to either start thinking about starting seeds or it is time to do it. For me, I am late. If you don't have seeds yet, it is time to at least think about getting them if you are starting seeds indoors.

If you have never tried it, now is the time to try. You will save money if you start your seeds and you will have a wider selection. Another thing to consider is the risk of bringing disease into your garden with plants from outside companies, our friend Mark excluded. Take a look back at his plants from last year and you will notice what a good job he does and how God blesses his work. It will also encourage you to give it a try. It is fun to watch the plants grow from seeds.

I decided to repost again Mark's seedlings.

One day not very long from now, we will not be able to buy plants. Then what will we do? Plant from seeds.