Author Topic: A Thought For Today  (Read 177523 times)

wigina

Re: A Thought For Today
« Reply #240 on: August 03, 2013, 07:17:06 PM »
Amen!

wigina

« Reply #241 on: August 03, 2013, 07:24:32 PM »
Although I may not always feel close to Him, I cherish the moments that I, feel closer. Worldly cares may at times cloud my judgement unbelief permeate my being yet in obedience shall I always endeavour to walk for I now truly realize that it is only in Him, Jesus my Lord Master and friend in whom my salvation lies. No matter what predicament I am in I know His will must be done and I yearn to respect it., He is all seeing and just and true! And to that shall I cling.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #242 on: August 03, 2013, 11:15:39 PM »
No matter what predicament I am in I know His will must be done and I yearn to respect it., He is all seeing and just and true! And to that shall I cling.

Amen!

In the beginning when I was taking very tiny baby steps toward understanding God's will and His attitude toward sin and how He carried out justice, it left me so confounded because I was judging Him by worldly standards. At the time, that was all I knew. So when you used the word "respect" toward His will, that is where I had to leave it so many times because His ways are not our ways, nor are His thoughts our thoughts. It took some time to gain a better understanding of His special brand of justice and mercy.

Considering God never sinned and lives and reigns on the highest possible plane of holiness, He has a thorough understanding of the sin problem. So however He decides to combat it, we must know it is for our good, respecting it when we cannot comprehend it. 
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

wigina

« Reply #243 on: August 04, 2013, 11:04:48 AM »
when Iread this, I just laughed at myself! Now are you a Christian or sister white would tell you you are not? Think about it. 'tis a great thought for today!
Ministry of healing pg 251.4
those professed Christians who are constantly complaining and who seem to think cheerfulness and happiness a sin have not true religion. Those who take a mournful pleasure in all that is melancholy in the natural world, who choose to look upon dead leaves rather than to gather the beautiful living flowers, who see no beauty in grand mountain heights and in Valleys clothed with living green, who close their senses to the joyful voice which speaks to then in nature, and which is sweet and musical to the listening ear... These are not in Christ. They are gathering to themselves gloom and darkness, when they might have brightness, even the Sun of Righteousness arising from their hearts with healing in His beams
Next time you(Wigina) start complaining, maybe you'll think again!!,

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #244 on: August 04, 2013, 03:31:18 PM »
Amen! The same applies to Sister Mimi! That is a good find, my brother.

wigina

« Reply #245 on: August 08, 2013, 01:11:13 AM »
Exodus 34:6-7: 6 And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, 7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear [the guilty]; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth [generation].

The Amen, The great I AM! is manifesting! For the hour of His grace, true grace is fast approaching! Whenthe whole universe will acknowledge His long suffering! Who is willing to partake of the abundance thereof!? I am unworthy Lord, please forgive me my sins and let thy will be done!

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #246 on: August 27, 2013, 11:48:17 AM »
The "Ship" Will Make it to Port

"Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid."  Matthew 5:14   

Jesus is to be reflected in the Christian's deportment; our characters must be beautiful with the graces of heaven. The presence of God is to be an abiding presence with us; wherever we are, we are to carry light to the world. Those around us should realize that the atmosphere of heaven surrounds us. 

But many say, "How can I help sinning? I have tried to overcome, but I do not make advancement." In your own strength you will fail, but help has been laid upon One who is mighty. In his strength you may be more than conqueror. Say, "Through the grace of God I will be an overcomer." Put your will on the side of God's will, and with your eye fixed upon Him who is the author and finisher of your faith, you may make straight paths for your feet. When you are tempted, say, "Jesus is my Saviour, I love him because he first loved me." Show that you trust him. As you walk the streets, as you work about your house, you can communicate with your Lord; lay hold upon him by living faith, and believe his Word to the letter. 

Now suppose you put away all murmuring and complaining, and look to the light. Let us try it, and see what kind of a life we shall have. When Satan suggests doubt and darkness, say, "I will be free, I am free," and when Satan tells you that you are a sinner, tell him, "I know it; but Jesus said, 'I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.'" Ask God to help you to place your thoughts upon Jesus, and Satan cannot control your mind. Put away all commonness; determine that through Jesus you will elevate your soul above all that is low and earthly, and become lights to the world. Let your words be as choice silver, your conversation full of hope and courage in the Lord, and wherever you are those around you will realize that a precious influence goes with you. The light and love and power of God will rest upon you. 

Through the mercy of God we have been taken out of the quarry of the world by the mighty cleaver of truth, and we are to be hewn and polished, and fitted for the heavenly building. As pilgrims we have been brought into the highway cast up for the ransomed of the Lord to walk in; and we should go in this way with rejoicing, instead of with complaining. This privilege has been bought for us at an infinite cost, and we ought to manifest our joy and gratitude that we are permitted to be numbered among the children of God. Should we walk from day to day with rejoicing and gladness of heart, showing forth the praises of Him who has called us out of darkness into his marvellous light, what effect should we have upon the minds of those around us? They would say, "Certainly they have been with Jesus, and have learned of him." 

Our lives will not be all sunshine; there will be trials. "In the world ye shall have tribulation," says Christ; but in me ye shall have peace. But the trials are for a purpose. Pride, selfishness, evil passions, and love of worldly pleasures, must all be overcome; therefore afflictions come to test and prove us, and show that these evils exist in the character. We must overcome them through divine strength and grace, that we may become like Jesus, our perfect pattern. Afflictions, temptations, adversity,-- all our varied trials--are God's workmen to refine and sanctify us, and make us channels of light to the world. And "our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory." 

Trials are also God's appointed means to separate the chaff from the wheat. Satan never sleeps. He is watching to lead souls away from Christ. He suggests worldly principles. The "good seed" is choked in many hearts, because it is overgrown with unnecessary cares and needless anxiety--with love for the worldly pleasures and honors that riches give. Meetings are neglected; the heart is not strengthened by these religious privileges, because time and energy are absorbed in money making. In other cases there is no depth and stability of character. Principle does not reach down deep, underlying the springs of action. When such persons are tested and proved by the heat of trial and temptation, when the pruning-knife of God is applied, that they may bring forth fruit unto perfection, their zeal dies, their Christian experience withers. 

The sincere believers of truth are often made sad, and their trials greatly increased, by elements among them that annoy and dishearten them in their efforts. We have many reasons to be concerned as we witness great difficulties in the church. But, there is no need of doubts and fears that the work of God will not succeed. God is at the head of the work, and he will set everything in order. Let us have faith that he is going to carry the noble ship which bears his people, safely into port. There was a ship that was in great distress. Large waves crashed upon the ship. The chandeliers fell, suitcases were tossed from side to side like pillows. The passengers were frightened, and many were screaming, waiting in expectation of death. After a while the pilot came on board. The captain stood near the pilot as he took the wheel, and expressed fear about the course in which the ship was directed. "Will you take the wheel?" asked the pilot. The captain was not ready to do that, for he knew that he lacked experience. Then some of the passengers grew uneasy, and said they feared the pilot would dash them upon the rocks. "Will you take the wheel?" asked the pilot; but they knew that they could not manage the wheel. When you think that the work of God is in danger, pray, "Lord, stand at the wheel; carry us through this perplexity; bring us safely into port." Have we not reason to believe that the Lord will bring us through triumphantly? 

With each one it is an individual work. You are to commit the keeping of your soul unto God as unto a faithful Creator. When you do this, you will know something of the love of God; for it will abound in your heart unto his glory. When you come together for the worship of God, the meetings will be uplifting in character; for the Lord will put a new song into your mouth, even praise unto our God. You will say, "Hear what the Lord has done for my soul." Your soul will be all light in the Lord. Perhaps you have been looking on the dark side of the picture. Now, turn to the other side. Turn the dark side to the wall, and look on the beautiful pictures of the love of God. Educate your tongue to talk of God's mercy, and speak forth the praises of Him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light. Let us answer to the purpose of God, and be indeed the "light of the world." 

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #247 on: September 05, 2013, 11:47:20 AM »

Good Health

"For the life of the flesh is in the blood."  Leviticus 17:11 

God has given us all something to do. In the discharge of the various duties which we are to perform, which lie in our pathway, our lives will be made useful, and we shall be blessed. Not only will the organs of the body be strengthened by exercise, but the mind also will acquire strength and knowledge through the action of those organs. The exercise of one muscle, while others are left with nothing to do, will not strengthen the inactive ones any more than the continual exercise of one of the organs of the mind will develop and strengthen the organs not brought into use. Each faculty of the mind and each muscle has its distinctive office, and all require to be exercised in order to become properly developed and retain healthful vigor. Each organ and muscle has its work to do in the living organism. Every wheel in the machinery must be a living, active, working wheel. Nature's fine and wonderful works need to be kept in active motion in order to accomplish the object for which they were designed. Each faculty has a bearing upon the others, and all need to be exercised in order to be properly developed. If one muscle of the body is exercised more than another, the one used will become much the larger, and will destroy the harmony and beauty of the development of the system. A variety of exercise will call into use all the muscles of the body. 

Those who are feeble and indolent should not yield to their inclination to be inactive, thus depriving themselves of air and sunlight, but should practice exercising out of doors in walking or working in the garden. They will become very much fatigued, but this will not injure them. Inaction weakens the organs that are not exercised. And when these organs are used, pain and weariness are experienced, because the muscles have become feeble. It is not good policy to give up the use of certain muscles because pain is felt when they are exercised. The pain is frequently caused by the effort of nature to give life and vigor to those parts that have become partially lifeless through inaction. The motion of these long-disused muscles will cause pain, because nature is awakening them to life. 

Walking, in all cases where it is possible, is the best remedy for diseased bodies, because in this exercise all the organs of the body are brought into use. Many who depend upon the movement cure could accomplish more for themselves by muscular exercise than the movements can do for them. In some cases want of exercise causes the bowels and muscles to become enfeebled and shrunken, and these organs that have enfeebled for want of use will be strengthened by exercise. There is no exercise that can take the place of walking. By it the circulation of the blood is greatly improved.  Perfect health requires healthy blood and good circulation of that healthy blood. Life is in our blood.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #248 on: September 23, 2013, 07:14:45 PM »
Rooting Out the Thorns

"And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them....He also that received seed among thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful."     Matthew 13:7,22 

In the thorns that choke the good seed, the Great Teacher would depict the dangers that are around those who hear the word of God; for there are foes on every hand to make of no effect the precious truth of God. All that draws the affections from God, all that fills the attention so that Christ has no room in the heart, must be renounced if the seed of truth is to flourish in the soul. Jesus specifies the things that are dangerous to the soul. He says the cares of the world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the desire for other things, choke the word, the growing spiritual seed, so that the soul does not draw nourishment from Christ, as does the branch from the vine, and the spiritual life dies from the heart. Love of the world, love of its pleasures and display, and love of other things, keep the soul away from God; for he who loves the world does not depend upon God for his courage, his hope, his joy. He knows not what it is to have the joy of Christ, for this is the joy of leading others to the Fountain of life, of winning souls from sin to righteousness. 

All that draws the affections from Christ is a detriment to the soul, and must be put away that the soul temple may be cleansed from all defilement. Unless the soul is emptied of its idols, you cannot comprehend the truth of God. Some of the precious seed may find a place in the heart, but in order to have spiritual discernment to distinguish the thorns from the pure grain, the soul must receive the word with meekness. When those who have but a partial knowledge of the truth, are called upon to study some point that cuts across their preconceived opinions, they are confused. Their preconceived opinions are as thorns that choke the word of God, and when truth is sown, and it becomes necessary to root up the thorns to give it place, they feel that everything is going from them, and they are in trouble. There are many who have but an imperfect understanding of the character of God. They think of him as stern and arbitrary, and when the fact is presented that God is love, it is a difficult matter for these souls to lay aside their false conceptions of God. But if they do not let the word of truth in, rooting out the thorns, the briers will start up afresh, and choke out the good word of God; their religious experience will be dwarfed, for the evil of their hearts will overtop the tender plant of truth, and shut away the spiritual atmosphere.

How many have a dwarfed religious experience. They do not draw nourishment from Christ. They love the world and the things that the world loves. At times their hearts are touched by the love of Christ, but they are not careful to watch and pray. They do not take the path of self-denial and cross-bearing, and follow in the way which Jesus trod while upon earth. They choose to indulge self, and spend their money for that which is not bread, and their labor for that which satisfieth not. They are like those whom the prophet describes, when he says, "There is no hope: but we will walk after our own devices, and we will every one do the imagination of his evil heart. Therefore thus saith the Lord: Ask ye now among the heathen, who hath heard such things: the virgin of Israel hath done a very horrible thing. Will a man leave the snow of Lebanon which cometh from the rock of the field? or shall the cold flowing waters that come from another place be forsaken? because my people hath forgotten me, they have burned incense to vanity, and they have caused them to stumble in their ways from the ancient paths, to walk in paths, in a way not cast up." Those who allow the cares of this world to crowd out the good seed, become surfeited with this world. The time that they should devote to the service of God, is devoted to the gratification of self. The work of the Lord should be their first anxiety, but Jesus and the souls he died for, are treated as matters of secondary importance. Their love of the world, their desire for riches, their anxiety to meet the world's standard, to follow the fashions of the world, to try every new thing, choke out the world, and it becomes unfruitful. 

It is necessary to be diligent, lest thorns find their way into the soil of the heart, and the precious plants of heavenly origin be crowded out; for they cannot grow in the heart together. Christ says, "Ye cannot serve God and mammon." Those who attempt it bring no fruit to perfection. There are those who attempt to serve two masters. They take the precious promises of God to themselves, but refuse to comply with the conditions on which the promises are given. They are not doers of the words of Christ, laboring together with God. In heart and in practice they are of the world, and yet they make a profession of godliness. Brain and muscle are devoted to the acquirement of property or position, as though the gaining of these temporal things would give them a passport into heaven. But it is not learning, position, or wealth, that commends a man to God. The psalmist says, "A broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise." Many who profess to be Christians know not what it is to give up their all for Christ, who paid an infinite price for the redemption of the lost. 

Self must die if we would be counted as the followers of Christ. The apostle says, "If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. . . . For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God." "If any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." When a man is converted to God, a new moral taste is created; and he loves the things that God loves; for his life is bound up by the golden chain of the immutable promises, to the life of Jesus. His heart is drawn out after God. His prayer is, "Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law." In the immutable standard he sees the character of the Redeemer, and knows that though he has sinned, he is not to be saved in his sins, but from his sins; for Jesus is the Lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world. It is through the blood of Christ that he is brought nigh unto God. As he beholds the righteousness of Christ in the divine precepts, he exclaims, "The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul." As the sinner is pardoned for his transgression through the merits of Christ, as he is clothed with the righteousness of Christ through faith in him, he declares with the psalmist, "How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth." "More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb." This is conversion. When the Spirit of God controls the mind and heart, it turns the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just. The law of God will then be regarded as a transcript of the divine character, and a new song bursts forth from the heart that has been touched by divine grace; for he realizes that the promise of God has been fulfilled in his experience, that his transgression is forgiven, his sin covered. He has exercised repentance toward God for the violation of his law, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ who has died for his justification. "Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: by whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. And not only so, but we glory in tribulation also; knowing that tribulation worketh patience; and patience, experience; and experience, hope: and hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us." 

"The love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us." Love is the fulfilling of the law, and those who could not understand the precepts of heaven before they experience the new birth, now see the commandments as "holy, and just, and good," and in keeping of them there is great reward. The law of God is the rule of God's government, and through eternal ages it will be the standard of his kingdom. Those who trample upon its requirements, are trampling upon the authority of heaven, upon the throne of God. If we do not yield to its requirements in this life, learning to love God with all our hearts and our neighbors as ourselves, we shall meet with no change in character at the appearing of Jesus. Rebellion will not give place to peace and love when he comes in the clouds of heaven. Now is the time to separate the thorns from the precious seeds of truth, that the heart may be wholly occupied with the truth from heaven. 

He who knows all things, who reads the heart of man as an open book, says, "Take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares." And Paul writes, "They that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness. Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses." 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #249 on: September 25, 2013, 04:09:08 AM »
This is one of the most important messages we can take to heart. It immediately takes my mind to the message to the Laodiceans in Revelation 3. Granted, the cure is given in "Rooting Out the Thorns," yet it is spelled out in mercy in Revelation 3. It is a message to us, this very day.

Amen.

wigina

« Reply #250 on: November 15, 2013, 05:51:44 PM »
Holiness its not rapture, it is the result of surrendering all to God; it is doing the will of our heavenly father!

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
« Reply #251 on: November 16, 2013, 02:42:59 AM »
Holiness its not rapture, it is the result of surrendering all to God; it is doing the will of our heavenly father!

Holiness is not rapture: it is an entire surrender of the will to God; it is living by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God; it is doing the will of our heavenly Father; it is trusting God in trial, in darkness as well as in the light; it is walking by faith and not by sight; it is relying on God with unquestioning confidence, and resting in His love. The Faith I Live By, p. 140.3

Amen, Wigina; however, regarding "the Rapture" (...I speak as a man... Romans 3:5)

Ephesians 2:
4 God...
5 ...hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

Hebrews 12:
12 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees;
13 And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed.
14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:
15 Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God...
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #252 on: November 23, 2013, 09:55:14 PM »
The Converting Power of Grace

"That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world."    Philippians 2:15

Do we have so strong a hold on God that our religion will not fail us in the face of strong persecution? The deep love of God alone will sustain the soul amid the trials which are just upon us. 

Self-denial and the cross are our portion. Will we accept it? None of us need expect that when the last great trials come upon us a self-sacrificing, patriotic spirit will be developed in a moment because needed. No, indeed, this spirit must be blended with our daily experience, and infused into the minds and hearts of our children, both by precept and example. Mothers in Israel may not be warriors themselves, but they may raise up warriors who shall gird on the whole armor and fight manfully the battles of the Lord. 

Ministers and people need the converting power of grace before they will be able to stand in the day of the Lord. The world is fast approaching that point in iniquity and human depravity when God's aid will become necessary. And at that time His faithful children will be seen to be obedient to the law of God. Their prayer will be as that of David: "It is time for Thee, Lord, to work: for they have made void Thy law." And by their conduct they will say: "Therefore I love Thy commandments above gold; yea, above fine gold." Psalms 119:126,127 The very contempt that is shown to the law of God is sufficient reason why His commandment-keeping people should come to the front and show their esteem and reverence for His downtrodden law.

"And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold." Matthew 24:12. The very atmosphere is polluted with sin. Soon God's people will be tested by fiery trials, and the great proportion of those who now appear to be genuine and true will prove to be base metal. Instead of being strengthened and confirmed by opposition, threats, and abuse, they will cowardly take the side of the enemy. The promise is: "Them that honor Me I will honor." 1 Samuel 2:30.

The judgments of God are in the land, as seen in hurricanes, in floods, in tornadoes, and in earthquakes. When God's wrath is poured out upon the earth, who will then be able to stand? Now is the time for God's people to show themselves true to principle. When the religion of Christ is most held in contempt, when His law is most despised, then should our courage and firmness the most unflinching. His faithful will stand in defense of truth and righteousness when the majority forsake them. They will fight the battles of the Lord when champions are few. This will be our test. At this time we must gather warmth from the coldness of others, courage from their cowardice, and loyalty from their treason. The nations of the world, all of them, will be arrayed against God, His law, and those who keep His commandments. But, they shall not prevail. "And whereas thou sawest iron mixed with miry clay, they shall mingle themselves with the seed of men: but they shall not cleave one to another, even as iron is not mixed with clay. And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever. Forasmuch as thou sawest that the stone was cut out of the mountain without hands, and that it brake in pieces the iron, the brass, the clay, the silver, and the gold; the great God hath made known to the king what shall come to pass hereafter: and the dream is certain, and the interpretation thereof sure." Daniel 2:43-45.

Glen

« Reply #253 on: November 24, 2013, 09:39:59 AM »
Do we have so strong a hold on God that our religion will not fail us in the face of strong persecution? The deep love of God alone will sustain the soul amid the trials which are just upon us. 

Self-denial and the cross are our portion. Will we accept it? None of us need expect that when the last great trials come upon us a self-sacrificing, patriotic spirit will be developed in a moment because needed. No, indeed, this spirit must be blended with our daily experience, and infused into the minds and hearts of our children, both by precept and example...

Amen Brother Richard!

When tempted to "fail...in the face of strong persecution, Christ alone is revealed in us:
Since Christ (who is our life Colossians 3:4) "has His hold" within us, If we have been "planted in the likeness of His death" Romans 6:5, Christ, who is our wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption... 1 Corinthians 1:30 is our glory, because He is become our life. The divine mind is diffused. The divine mind and will is combined with the human mind and will; thus the utterances of the man are the Word of God (Manuscript 24, 1886). Thus; our "spirit" is "blended with our daily experience, and infused into" our "minds and hearts" by His "precept and example". Christ's assurance is:

Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth. Revelation 3:10

...he ("Christ in you, the hope of glory"; "Not I, but Christ") that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. Matthew 24:13

The Spirit of God will consume sin in all who submit to His power. See Hebrews 12:29. But if any cling to sin, then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them. At the second advent of Christ, the wicked will be consumed “with the breath of His mouth” and destroyed “with the brightness of His coming.” 2 Thessalonians 2:8. The glory of God that gives life to the righteous will destroy the wicked. Humble Hero, p. 41.6

Christ tells us that the Holy Spirit is the Comforter, and the Comforter is the Holy Ghost, “the Spirit of truth, which the Father shall send in My name.” “I will pray the Father, and He shall give you another Comforter, that He may abide with you for ever; even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth Him not, neither knoweth Him: but ye know Him, for He dwelleth with you, and shall be in you” [John 14:16, 17]. This refers to the omnipresence of the Spirit of Christ, called the Comforter. Again Jesus says, “I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when He, the Spirit of truth is come, He will guide you into all truth”
[John 16:12, 13].  Manuscript Releases Volume Fourteen [Nos. 1081-1135], p. 179.2

We are to feed the hungry, comfort the suffering, and inspire hope in the hopeless. The love of Christ, shown in unselfish ministry, will be more effective in reforming the evildoer than will the sword or court of justice. Often the heart will melt under the love of Christ. Through His servants, God wants to be a greater Comforter than the world has ever seen.
Humble Hero, p. 159.8
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #254 on: December 25, 2013, 08:59:36 AM »
God's Gift to Us

"Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us, and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins."   1 John 4:10

The story of Bethlehem is an exhaustless theme. In it is hidden "the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God." Romans 11:33. We marvel at the Saviour's sacrifice in exchanging the throne of heaven for the manger, and the companionship of adoring angels for the beasts of the stall. Human pride and self-sufficiency stand rebuked in His presence. Yet this was but the beginning of His wonderful condescension. It would have been an almost infinite humiliation for the Son of God to take man's nature, even when Adam stood in his innocence in Eden. But Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life. 

Satan in heaven had hated Christ for His position in the courts of God. He hated Him the more when he himself was dethroned. He hated Him who pledged Himself to redeem a race of sinners. Yet into the world where Satan claimed dominion God permitted His Son to come, a helpless babe, subject to the weakness of humanity. He permitted Him to meet life's peril in common with every human soul, to fight the battle as every child of humanity must fight it, at the risk of failure and eternal loss. 

The heart of the human father yearns over his son. He looks into the face of his little child, and trembles at the thought of life's peril. He longs to shield his dear one from Satan's power, to hold him back from temptation and conflict. To meet a bitterer conflict and a more fearful risk, God gave His only-begotten Son, that the path of life might be made sure for our little ones. "Herein is love." Wonder, O heavens! and be astonished, O earth!     

Glen

« Reply #255 on: January 18, 2014, 06:53:48 AM »
Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life.

In Him was life; and the life was the light of men.” It is not physical life that is here specified, but eternal life, the life which is exclusively the property of God. The Word, who was with God, and who was God, had this life. Physical life is something which each individual received. It is not eternal or immortal; for God, the Lifegiver, takes it again. Man has no control over his life. But the life of Christ was unborrowed. No one can take this life from Him. “I lay it down of myself,” He said. In Him was life, original, unborrowed, underived. This life is not inherent in man. He can possess it only through Christ. He cannot earn it; it is given him as a free gift if he will believe in Christ as his personal Saviour. “This is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.” John 17:3. This is the open fountain of life for the world (The Signs of the Times, February 13, 1912).
S.D.A. Bible Commentary Vol. 5, p. 1130.3

There is no one who can explain the mystery of the incarnation of Christ. Yet we know that He came to this earth and lived as a man among men. The man Christ Jesus was not the Lord God Almighty, yet Christ and the Father are one.
S.D.A. Bible Commentary Vol. 5, p. 1129.7

We may be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Receiving Christ, we are clothed with power. An indwelling Saviour makes His power our property.... Christ’s presence in the heart is a vitalizing power, strengthening the entire being.
The Faith I Live By, p. 62.7

Never feel that Christ is far away. He is always near. His loving presence surrounds you. The Faith I Live By, p. 62.8

Jacob in his distress was not overwhelmed. He had repented, he had endeavored to atone for the wrong to his brother. And when threatened with death through the wrath of Esau, he looked to God for help. “And He blessed him there.” Genesis 32:29. In the power of His might the forgiven one stood up, no longer the supplanter but a prince with God. He had gained not merely deliverance from his outraged brother, but deliverance from himself. The power of evil in his own nature was broken; his character was transformed.  True Education, p. 88.2

Adam yielded to temptation, and as we have the matter of sin and its consequences laid so distinctly before us, we can read from cause to effect and see the greatness of the act is not that which constitutes sin; but the disobedience of God’s expressed will, which is a virtual denial of God, refusing the laws of His government.... Christ Triumphant, p. 25.3

The law of self is erected, human will is made supreme, and when the high and holy will of God is presented to be obeyed, respected, and honored, the human will wants its own way, to do its own promptings, and there is a controversy between the human agent and the Divine. Christ Triumphant, p. 25.4

The fall of our first parents broke the golden chain of implicit obedience of the human will to the Divine. Obedience has no longer been deemed an absolute necessity. The human agents follow their own imaginations, which the Lord said of the inhabitants of the old world were evil and that continually. The Lord Jesus declares, “I have kept my Father’s commandments.” How? As a man. “Lo, I come to do thy will, O God.” To the accusations of the Jews He stood forth in His pure, virtuous, holy character and challenged them, “Which of you convinceth me of sin?”... Christ Triumphant, p. 25.5

We are...to serve God...in the nature we have, that has been redeemed by the Son of God; through the righteousness of Christ we shall stand pardoned before God, and as though we had never sinned. We will never gain strength in considering what we might do if we were angels. We are to turn in faith to Jesus Christ, and show our love to God through obedience to His commands.—Manuscript 1, 1892 (Manuscript Releases 6:337-342).  Christ Triumphant, p. 25.6

...as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness. Romans 6:19

"Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin." -Christ did this ONLY that we may accept Divine Life through His Spirit, to Be...perfect, even as...our Father which is in heaven is perfect. Matthew 5:48 Christ gave us such an heredity, that we may live a sinless life.

For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous. 21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 5:19, 21

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #256 on: January 18, 2014, 07:16:28 AM »

Jacob ... He had gained not merely deliverance from his outraged brother, but deliverance from himself. The power of evil in his own nature was broken; his character was transformed.  True Education, p. 88.2

That is beautiful.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #257 on: January 18, 2014, 08:05:36 AM »
Amen! The greatest battle we shall ever fight, is with self.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #258 on: January 18, 2014, 09:15:25 AM »
Sacrificing the Best

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit."   John 12:24

"He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal." All who would bring forth fruit as workers together with Christ must first fall into the ground and die. The life must be cast into the furrow of the world's need. Self-love, self-interest, must perish. And the law of self-sacrifice is the law of self-preservation. The husbandman preserves his grain by casting it away. So in human life. To give is to live. The life that will be preserved is the life that is freely given in service to God and man. Those who for Christ's sake sacrifice their life in this world will keep it unto life eternal.

The life spent on self is like the grain that is eaten. It disappears, but there is no increase. A man may gather all he can for self; he may live and think and plan for self; but his life passes away, and he has nothing. The law of self-serving is the law of self-destruction.

"If any man serve Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there shall also My servant be: if any man serve Me, him will My Father honor."
All who have borne with Jesus the cross of sacrifice will be sharers with Him of His glory. It was the joy of Christ in His humiliation and pain that His disciples should be glorified with Him. They are the fruit of His self-sacrifice. The outworking in them of His own character and spirit is His reward, and will be His joy throughout eternity. This joy they share with Him as the fruit of their labor and sacrifice is seen in other hearts and lives. They are workers together with Christ, and the Father will honor them as He honors His Son. 

Was it not for us that Christ died first? The true result of the mission of Christ was to be achieved by way of the cross. Jesus said "Verily, verily, I say unto you, except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit." When the grain of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it springs up, and bears fruit. So the death of Christ would result in fruit for the kingdom of God. In accordance with agricultural laws, life was to be the result of His death.

Those who till the soil have the illustration ever before them. Year by year man preserves his supply of grain by apparently throwing away the best part. For a time it must be hidden under ground, to be watched over by the Lord. Then appears the blade, then the ear, and then the corn in the ear. But this development cannot take place unless the grain is buried out of sight, hidden, and to all appearance, lost. 

The seed buried in the ground produces fruit, and in turn this is planted. Thus the harvest is multiplied. So the death of Christ on the cross of Calvary will bear fruit unto eternal life. The contemplation of this sacrifice will be the glory of those who, as the fruit of it, will live through the eternal ages. 

The grain of wheat that preserves its own life can produce no fruit. It abides alone. Christ could, if He chose, save Himself from death. But should He do this, He must abide alone. He could bring no sons and daughters to God. Only by yielding up His life could He impart life to humanity. Only by falling into the ground to die could He become the seed of that vast harvest,--the great multitude that out of every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, are redeemed to God.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #259 on: January 30, 2014, 10:25:29 AM »
Strong Delusions

"They received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.  And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: ."  2 Thessalonians 2:10,11

Satan is busy today as he attempts to hold people in darkness and impenitence till the Saviour's mediation is ended, and there is no longer a sacrifice for sin.  The great deceiver has many that are ready to present any and every kind of error to ensnare souls. He has heresies prepared to suit the varied tastes and capacities of those whom he would ruin. It is his plan to bring into the church insincere, unregenerate elements that will encourage doubt and unbelief, and hinder all who desire to see the work of God advance and to advance. Many who have no real faith in God or in His word assent to some principles of truth and pass as Christians, and thus they are enabled to introduce their errors as Scriptural doctrines.  Satan knows that the truth, received in the love of it, sanctifies the soul of the receiver; therefore he is constantly seeking to substitute false theories, fables, and another gospel. From the beginning the servants of God have contended against false teachers, not merely as vicious men, but as inculcators of falsehoods that were fatal to the soul. Elijah, Jeremiah, Paul, firmly and fearlessly opposed those who were turning men from the word of God. That liberality which regards a correct religious faith as unimportant found no favor with these holy defenders of the truth. 

The Bible was designed to be a guide to all who wish to become acquainted with the will of their Maker. God gave to men the sure word of prophecy; angels and even Christ Himself came to make known to Daniel and John the things that must shortly come to pass. Those important matters that concern our salvation were not left involved in mystery. They were not revealed in such a way as to perplex and mislead the honest seeker after truth. Said the Lord by the prophet Habakkuk: "Write the vision, and make it plain, . . . that he may run that readeth it." Habakkuk 2:2. The word of God is plain to all who study it with a prayerful heart. Every truly honest soul will come to the light of truth. "Light is sown for the righteous." Psalm 97:11. And no church can advance in holiness unless its members are earnestly seeking for truth as for hid treasure.  Men are blinded to the devices of their adversary, while he is all the time working steadily for the accomplishment of his object. As he succeeds in supplanting the Bible by human speculations, the law of God is set aside, and the churches are under the bondage of sin while they claim to be free.   

Those who are unwilling to accept the plain, cutting truths of the Bible are continually seeking for pleasing fables that will quiet the conscience. The less spiritual, self-denying, and humiliating the doctrines presented, the greater the favor with which they are received. These persons degrade the intellectual powers to serve their carnal desires. Too wise in their own conceit to search the Scriptures with contrition of soul and earnest prayer for divine guidance, they have no shield from delusion. Satan is ready to supply the heart's desire, and he palms off his deceptions in the place of truth. All who neglect the word of God, that they may not be at variance with the world, will be left to receive damnable heresy for religious truth. Every conceivable form of error will be accepted by those who willfully reject the truth. He who looks with horror upon one deception will readily receive another. The apostle Paul, speaking of a class who "received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved," declares: "For this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: that they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness." 2 Thessalonians 2:10-12. With such a warning before us it behooves us to be on our guard as to what doctrines we receive.   

The followers of Christ know little of the plots which Satan is forming against them. But He who sitteth in the heavens will overrule all these devices for the accomplishment of His deep designs. The Lord permits His people to be subjected to the fiery ordeal of temptation, not because He takes pleasure in their distress and affliction, but because this process is essential to their final victory. He could not, consistently with His own glory, shield them from temptation; for the very object of the trial is to prepare them to resist all the allurements of evil. Neither wicked men nor devils can hinder the work of God, or shut out His presence from His people, if they will, with subdued, contrite hearts, confess and put away their sins, and in faith claim His promises. Every temptation, every opposing influence, whether open or secret, may be successfully resisted, "not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit, saith the Lord of hosts." Zechariah 4:6.

Satan is well aware that the weakest soul who abides in Christ is more than a match for the hosts of darkness, and that, should he reveal himself openly, he would be met and resisted. Therefore he seeks to draw away the soldiers of the cross from their strong fortification, while he lies in ambush with his forces, ready to destroy all who venture upon his ground. Only in humble reliance upon God, and obedience to all His commandments, can we be secure.  No man is safe for a day or an hour without prayer. Especially should we entreat the Lord for wisdom to understand His word. Here are revealed the wiles of the tempter and the means by which he may be successfully resisted. Satan is an expert in quoting Scripture, placing his own interpretation upon passages, by which he hopes to cause us to stumble. We should study the Bible with humility of heart, never losing sight of our dependence upon God. While we must constantly guard against the devices of Satan, we should pray in faith continually: "Lead us not into temptation."