Author Topic: A Thought For Today  (Read 177485 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
A Thought For Today
« on: January 23, 2010, 08:05:07 AM »

Titus Chapter 3

3:1   Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work, 
3:2   To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, showing all meekness unto all men
3:3   For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another. 
3:4   But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, 
3:5   Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; 
3:6   Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; 
3:7   That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life. 

3:8   This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men. 
3:9   But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain. 
3:10   A man that is an heretic after the first and second admonition reject
3:11   Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself. 
3:12   When I shall send Artemas unto thee, or Tychicus, be diligent to come unto me to Nicopolis: for I have determined there to winter. 
3:13   Bring Zenas the lawyer and Apollos on their journey diligently, that nothing be wanting unto them. 
3:14   And let ours also learn to maintain good works for necessary uses, that they be not unfruitful. 
3:15   All that are with me salute thee. Greet them that love us in the faith. Grace be with you all. Amen.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: A Thought For Today
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 08:14:01 AM »
Amen and timely.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 01:06:42 PM »
His Grace is Exhaustless!

Those in the darkness of error are the purchase of the blood of Christ. They are the fruit of his suffering, and they are to be labored for. Let our canvassers know that it is for the advancement of Christ's kingdom that they are laboring. He will teach them as they go forth to their God-appointed work, to warn the world of a soon-coming judgment. Accompanied by the power of persuasion, the power of prayer, the power of the love of God, the evangelist's work will not, can not, be without fruit. Think of the interest that the Father and the Son have in this work. As the Father loves the Son, so the Son loves those that are his—those who work as he worked to saved perishing souls. None need feel that they are powerless: for Christ declares, “All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.” He has promised that he will give this power to his workers. His power is to become their power. They are to link their souls with God. Christ desires all to enjoy the wealth of his grace, which is beyond all computation. It is limitless, exhaustless. It is ours by eternal covenant, if we will be workers together with God. It is ours if we will unite with him to bring many sons and daughters to God.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 12:39:18 PM »
Heaven

There the redeemed shall know, even as also they are known. The loves and sympathies which God Himself has planted in the soul shall there find truest and sweetest exercise. The pure communion with holy beings, the harmonious social life with the blessed angels and with the faithful ones of all ages who have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb, the sacred ties that bind together "the whole family in heaven and earth" (Ephesians 3:15)--these help to constitute the happiness of the redeemed.  

There, immortal minds will contemplate with never-failing delight the wonders of creative power, the mysteries of redeeming love. There will be no cruel, deceiving foe to tempt to forgetfulness of God. Every faculty will be developed, every capacity increased. The acquirement of knowledge will not weary the mind or exhaust the energies. There the grandest enterprises may be carried forward, the loftiest aspirations reached, the highest ambitions realized; and still there will arise new heights to surmount, new wonders to admire, new truths to comprehend, fresh objects to call forth the powers of mind and soul and body.

All the treasures of the universe will be open to the study of God's redeemed. Unfettered by mortality, they wing their tireless flight to worlds afar--worlds that thrilled with sorrow at the spectacle of human woe and rang with songs of gladness at the tidings of a ransomed soul. With unutterable delight the children of earth enter into the joy and the wisdom of unfallen beings. They share the treasures of knowledge and understanding gained through ages upon ages in contemplation of God's handiwork. With undimmed vision they gaze upon the glory of creation--suns and stars and systems, all in their appointed order circling the throne of Deity. Upon all things, from the least to the greatest, the Creator's name is written, and in all are the riches of His power displayed.

And the years of eternity, as they roll, will bring richer and still more glorious revelations of God and of Christ. As knowledge is progressive, so will love, reverence, and happiness increase. The more men learn of God, the greater will be their admiration of His character. As Jesus opens before them the riches of redemption and the amazing achievements in the great controversy with Satan, the hearts of the ransomed thrill with more fervent devotion, and with more rapturous joy they sweep the harps of gold; and ten thousand times ten thousand and thousands of thousands of voices unite to swell the mighty chorus of praise.

"And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honor, and glory, and power, be unto Him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever." Revelation 5:13.  

Sin and sinners are no more. The entire universe is clean. One pulse of harmony and gladness beats through the vast creation. From Him who created all, flow life and light and gladness, throughout the realms of illimitable space. From the minutest atom to the greatest world, all things, animate and inanimate, in their unshadowed beauty and perfect joy, declare that God is love.  

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 12:20:09 PM »
Duty

"The work is soon to close. The members of the church militant who have proved faithful will become the church triumphant. In reviewing our past history, having travelled over every step of advance to our present standing, I can say, Praise God! As I see what God has wrought, I am filled with astonishment and with confidence in Christ as Leader. We have nothing to fear for the future, except as we shall forget the way the Lord has led us, and his teaching in our past history. We are now a strong people, if we will put our trust in the Lord; for we are handling the mighty truths of the word of God. We have everything to be thankful for. If we walk in the light as it shines upon us from the living oracles of God, we shall have large responsibilities, corresponding to the great light given us of God. We have many duties to perform, because we have been made the depositories of sacred truth to be given to the world in all its beauty and glory. We are debtors to God to use every advantage he has entrusted to us to beautify the truth of holiness of character, and to send the message of warning, and of comfort, of hope and love, to those who are in the darkness of error and sin."

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »
Truth Entrusted to Those Plotting to Kill Christ

"Believe Me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews." John 4:22. Jesus had shown that He was free from Jewish prejudice against the Samaritans. Now He sought to break down the prejudice of this Samaritan against the Jews. While referring to the fact that the faith of the Samaritans was corrupted with idolatry, He declared that the great truths of redemption had been committed to the Jews, and that from among them the Messiah was to appear. In the Sacred Writings they had a clear presentation of the character of God and the principles of His government. Jesus classed Himself with the Jews as those to whom God had given a knowledge of Himself.

The Samaritan woman did  not let the corruption of the Jews stop her from accepting the truths entrusted to them. She had seen Jesus.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 11:22:07 AM »
Have Heavy Burdens and Great Trials?

Our hearts must be melted into tenderness and love for one another. We may criticise ourselves just as severely as we please. The one who criticises another gives evidence that he is the very one who needs to criticise himself. Let us pray to God to show you what we must remove from ourselves in order that we may see the kingdom of God. I want to see Jesus. I love him, and I want to behold his matchless charms. So do you. Let us show to the world that there is joy in believing in Christ that his joy is in us, and our joy is full. When we consider Jesus, the propitiation for our sins, shall we let him plead with us in vain? Shall we refuse to deny self. We should preserve every power of mind and body, to work to his name's glory. There is a crown for the overcomer. We want it! Do we want to run the race with patience? Then let us behold His purity, and we will be charmed and will reflect His likeness. That is what God wants us to do.  

So many are weighed down with the cares and disappointments and troubles of this life. Carry these troubles to Jesus, He says, "Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest," Rest.-- this is what we want. It is found only in Jesus. "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart, and ye shall find rest unto your souls." He says, "I will give you rest...." but there is something more for us. We have a lesson to learn. "Learn of me," how to find rest. It is in our meekness and lowliness, it is in denying self and following Christ, that we find rest. Do you think it is a terrible burden to follow Christ? He says, "My yoke is easy and my burden is light." What makes the burden light? -- Because you are yoked up with Christ. What makes the yoke easy? -- Because he lifts with you, and you are co-operating with him.  

Let us behold Jesus and be changed into His image from glory to glory. Then our great burdens and trials will be light. Jesus promises!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 07:48:15 AM »
It is Time to Awake!  

The Lord desires that we should become intelligent in divine things, that we may offer up prayers of faith. He desires us to grow in grace, and in the knowledge of his will, that there may be unity with his people. And what an influence there is for good when brethren are in harmony; and what an influence it has for evil when there are strife and dissension among those who profess to believe the truth of God! We should have self-control. We should be disciplined. Parents should educate their children to self-control, that there may be harmony in the home. It is from your conduct at your home that we shall be able to judge in a large measure whether or not you are in a real Christian. Does the peace of Christ abide in your home? Are you educating yourselves and your children for the heavenly courts? Are you, as a household, knit together in love? If we have unity in the church, we must first have it in the home; for it is from the home that the church is formed, and the tempers and dispositions displayed in the family circle are the tempers and dispositions found in the church. A well-ordered family is a powerful influence for good in the world. If we walk in the light, and train our children in the fear of the Lord, we shall reflect the light of the glory of God which shines in the face of Jesus Christ. You may never know on earth how many have responded to the light that you shed by your godly example and influence, but it will be made plain in the day of reward.

Joseph was sold into Egypt. He was put into prison. The enemy strove to overwhelm him in darkness. It seemed as though every ray of hope was extinguished; but his faith took hold on God, and it was rewarded. God brought him out of his dungeon, and made him a light to the world. Our faith is too weak; it does not reach out, and take hold of the promises of God in times of darkness. We need more sympathy and love. There is too much Phariseeism among us. We must cultivate love. We must talk of Jesus and his love, and our hearts will be softened, and subdued under divine influences. There is too much of the spirit that feels, "I am holier than thou." Many are like the Pharisee that stood praying in the temple, and said, "God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are." The publican who smote upon his breast, and would not so much as lift up his eyes to heaven, but cried, "God be merciful to me a sinner," stood higher before God than did the self-righteous Pharisee. We should seek to understand our own need. We must have the righteousness of Christ to cover us. If we have left the snow of Lebanon, and forsaken the living streams, let us return, and drink at the fountain of life.  

When we are filled with enmity toward the law of God, we may know that there is something wrong with us; and we should examine our hearts, and prove ourselves whether we are in the faith. We must keep the law of God as the apple of our eye; for his law governs the whole universe. I am thankful that we have a standard with which to compare our character. How shall I know that I am following in the light of Heaven? I may know because God has given us a test for doctrine. Says the prophet, "To the law and to the testimony; if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them." It is our privilege to know what is truth, and that no error is of the truth.

There are many who set up a standard of their own, and they trample upon the law of Jehovah. What we believe, influences our life and molds our character; and every one carries with him an atmosphere that is either a savor of life unto life or of death unto death. We are not safe a moment without that living faith that grasps the promises of God.

There will be those who will come in at the eleventh hour, and they will receive an equal reward with those who have long known the truth. And why is this?--It is because they used all their talents to the utmost of their ability, and brought all their powers to bear on the work of advancing the light of the truth. When the truth was brought to their attention, they accepted it with joy, and God could trust them with a large measure of light and power. A great work is to be done in the earth, and while men sleep, Satan sows his tares. We must awake! Jesus is ready to work mightily in our behalf.    

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 08:04:52 AM »
Amen! Thank you, Richard, for posting these. I read each one you share.

Are you educating yourselves and your children for the heavenly courts? Are you, as a household, knit together in love? If we have unity in the church, we must first have it in the home; for it is from the home that the church is formed, and the tempers and dispositions displayed in the family circle are the tempers and dispositions found in the church.

When we as a people realize the natural flow of dispositions into the church, we can readily see our need to reform our homes. We call for it in the church, but it must first begin around the family altar.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 08:35:11 AM »
"Come let us reason together" says our God. What you are looking at here is so important. Many want to disconnect "character" from religion. Character is religion. If our religion does not change our character, then what good is it? The alcoholic knows of the power of the gospel when he accepts Jesus Christ into his heart. How about the "common" sinner? Is God's grace of no avail for the "little" sins? How absurd the thought!  That grace only goes to others and is not for me and my "little" sins, is a false gospel. The truth will set us free indeed! From our "little" sins of unkindness and pride. Selfishness is sin. Christ suffered and died that we might die to self and live unto Him. Baptism is a representation of this death to self and a new birth of a new creature. That new creature does not reveal selfishness (sin). As we see this sin in us, we know that we are not connected to Christ. But, we ought not despair. Where is He? He stands at the door of the heart, knocking, wanting back in. Shall we open the door today and invite Him in? Yes! We do not want to deny Jesus His reward for all He has done for us. Reflecting His character is His reward! You and I have this power to bless our Saviour today!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 09:23:41 AM »
A Promise for Laodicea

Ezekiel
  36:22   Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; I do not this for your sakes, O house of Israel, but for mine holy name's sake, which ye have profaned among the heathen, whither ye went.  
  36:23   And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I am the LORD, saith the Lord GOD, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes.  
  36:24   For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land.  
  36:25   Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.  
  36:26   A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.  
  36:27   And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.  

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 08:58:07 PM »

A Parents Charge

Well-ordered and well-disciplined families are an example that God gives to our world. You want a well-ordered house. God wants the light of His love to rise upon you. He wants that His ministers should search for the careless ones--His heritage bought with His own blood. The children are God's property that you have in charge. It is no light matter to know how you shall deal with God's heritage--that you may have that wisdom that is from above, that at last you may be able to say, Here, Lord, are the children Thou hast committed to my charge. 

What is your practice? Are you injuring your understanding through using narcotics, tobacco, wine, and liquor? I warn you of that path because God warns you all from it. You must give a good example to your children. It was sin that brought the agony upon the Son of the infinite God, taking the wrath of God upon His own divine soul. What hereditary trusts have you gathered? Have you gathered them up from Abel, Noah, Abraham? God says of Abraham, "I know him that he will command his children and his household after him." 

You want to train your children not only for this life but for the future, immortal life as well. You want to have a hold upon God. God will inquire in the judgment, What have you done with My possession? There is a judgment to come and everyone [is] to be judged according to the deeds done in the body. God knows that we cannot cleanse the soul from a sin; He knows that there is no power with us. 

Just as soon as Abraham pitched his tent he erected his altar, where he offered his morning and evening sacrifices to God. Today God wants you to offer up your morning and evening petitions to Him. Are you weak in moral power? Man, a partaker of the divine nature, may overcome what? The corruptions that are in the world through lust. That man may do justice in everything, and teach his children to do justice in everything, not by being idle, but that God had given them hands [that do] not hang useless. He wants everyone to exercise the talents that God has given them, waiting, watching, praying, and working.       

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 08:41:18 PM »
Grace That Transforms the Life

The apostle Paul, writing by the Holy Spirit, says, "God, who is rich in mercy, for His great love wherewith He loved us, even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) and hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God." Ephesians 2:4-8.  

The leaven hidden in the flour works invisibly to bring the whole mass under its leavening process; so the leaven of truth works secretly, silently, steadily, to transform the soul. The natural inclinations are softened and subdued. New thoughts, new feelings, new motives, are implanted. A new standard of character is set up--the life of Christ. The mind is changed; the faculties are roused to action in new lines. Man is not endowed with new faculties, but the faculties he has are sanctified. The conscience is awakened. We are endowed with traits of character that enable us to do service for God.  

Often the question arises, Why, then, are there so many, claiming to believe God's word, in whom there is not seen a reformation in words, in spirit, and in character? Why are there so many who cannot bear opposition to their purposes and plans, who manifest an unholy temper, and whose words are harsh, overbearing, and passionate? There is seen in their lives the same love of self, the same selfish indulgence, the same temper and hasty speech, that is seen in the life of the worldling. There is the same sensitive pride, the same yielding to natural inclination, the same perversity of character, as if the truth were wholly unknown to them. The reason is that they are not converted. They have not hidden the leaven of truth in the heart. It has not had opportunity to do its work. Their natural and cultivated tendencies to evil have not been submitted to its transforming power. Their lives reveal the absence of the grace of Christ, an unbelief in His power to transform the character.

"Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." Romans 10:17. The Scriptures are the great agency in the transformation of character. Christ prayed, "Sanctify them through Thy truth; Thy word is truth." John 17:17. If studied and obeyed, the word of God works in the heart, subduing every unholy attribute. The Holy Spirit comes to convict of sin, and the faith that springs up in the heart works by love to Christ, conforming us in body, soul, and spirit to His own image. Then God can use us to do His will. The power given us works from within outwardly, leading us to communicate to others the truth that has been communicated to us.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 05:01:25 AM »
Quite to the point! Excellent descriptions of grace. Thank you, Richard.

John Newton knew the power of grace. A few of the lyrics we know so well from his abiding song:

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 11:07:09 AM »
Amen! Grace is more than a word, it is the power that transforms!!  It is seen in Christ suffering on the cross for us while we were yet sinners!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 11:11:22 AM »
Lord, Save Me!

"Lord, if it be Thou, bid me come unto Thee on the water. And He said, Come." 

Looking unto Jesus, Peter walks securely; but as in self-satisfaction he glances back toward his companions in the boat, his eyes are turned from the Saviour. The wind is boisterous. The waves roll high, and come directly between him and the Master; and he is afraid. For a moment Christ is hidden from his view, and his faith gives way. He begins to sink. But while the billows talk with death, Peter lifts his eyes from the angry waters, and fixing them upon Jesus, cries, "Lord, save me." Immediately Jesus grasps the outstretched hand, saying, "O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?" 

Walking side by side, Peter's hand in that of his Master, they stepped into the boat together. But Peter was now subdued and silent. He had no reason to boast over his fellows, for through unbelief and self-exaltation he had very nearly lost his life. When he turned his eyes from Jesus, his footing was lost, and he sank amid the waves. 

When trouble comes upon us, how often we are like Peter! We look upon the waves, instead of keeping our eyes fixed upon the Saviour. Our footsteps slide, and the proud waters go over our souls. Jesus did not bid Peter come to Him that he should perish; He does not call us to follow Him, and then forsake us. "Fear not," He says; "for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art Mine. When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. For I am the Lord thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour." Isaiah 43:1-3.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 12:37:35 PM »
"Fear not," He says; "for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art Mine. When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. For I am the Lord thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour." Isaiah 43:1-3.

I dare say, this is one of the most endearing texts ever written. "Thou art Mine" - then the promises that come with being called a son and daughter of God. Oh, what a Father!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 06:48:08 AM »
Are We Ready?

God never forces the will or the conscience; but Satan's constant resort—to gain control of those whom he cannot otherwise seduce—is compulsion by cruelty. Through fear or force he endeavors to rule the conscience and to secure homage to himself. To accomplish this, he works through both religious and secular authorities, moving them to the enforcement of human laws in defiance of the law of God.

Those who honor the Bible Sabbath will be denounced as enemies of law and order, as breaking down the moral restraints of society, causing anarchy and corruption, and calling down the judgments of God upon the earth. Their conscientious scruples will be pronounced obstinacy, stubbornness, and contempt of authority. They will be accused of disaffection toward the government. Ministers who deny the obligation of the divine law will present from the pulpit the duty of yielding obedience to the civil authorities as ordained of God. In legislative halls and courts of justice, commandment keepers will be misrepresented and condemned. A false coloring will be given to their words; the worst construction will be put upon their motives.

As the Protestant churches reject the clear, Scriptural arguments in defense of God's law, they will long to silence those whose faith they cannot overthrow by the Bible. Though they blind their own eyes to the fact, they are now adopting a course which will lead to the persecution of those who conscientiously refuse to do what the rest of the Christian world are doing, and acknowledge the claims of the papal sabbath.

The dignitaries of church and state will unite to bribe, persuade, or compel all classes to honor the Sunday. The lack of divine authority will be supplied by oppressive enactments. Political corruption is destroying love of justice and regard for truth; and even in free America, rulers and legislators, in order to secure public favor, will yield to the popular demand for a law enforcing Sunday observance. Liberty of conscience, which has cost so great a sacrifice, will no longer be respected. In the soon-coming conflict we shall see exemplified the prophet's words: "The dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." Revelation 12:17.

With so many voices in the world today, where can we turn to find truth? How can we know God’s will and guard against Satan’s deceptions? Does it really matter what we believe?

"To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them." Isaiah 8:20. The people of God are directed to the Scriptures as their safeguard against the influence of false teachers and the delusive power of spirits of darkness. Satan employs every possible device to prevent men from obtaining a knowledge of the Bible; for its plain utterances reveal his deceptions. At every revival of God's work the prince of evil is aroused to more intense activity; he is now putting forth his utmost efforts for a final struggle against Christ and His followers. The last great delusion is soon to open before us. Antichrist is to perform his marvelous works in our sight. So closely will the counterfeit resemble the true that it will be impossible to distinguish between them except by the Holy Scriptures. By their testimony every statement and every miracle must be tested.

Those who endeavor to obey all the commandments of God will be opposed and derided. They can stand only in God. In order to endure the trial before them, they must understand the will of God as revealed in His word; they can honor Him only as they have a right conception of His character, government, and purposes, and act in accordance with them. None but those who have fortified the mind with the truths of the Bible will stand through the last great conflict. To every soul will come the searching test: Shall I obey God rather than men? The decisive hour is even now at hand. Are our feet planted on the rock of God's immutable word? Are we prepared to stand firm in defense of the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 12:01:02 PM »
There Are More Like Timothy and Titus

The Apostle Paul did not forget the churches that he had established. After making a missionary tour, he and Barnabas retraced their steps and visited the churches they had raised up, choosing from them men whom they could train to unite in proclaiming the gospel.

This feature of Paul's work contains an important lesson for ministers today. The apostle made it a part of his work to educate young men for the office of the ministry. He took them with him on his missionary journeys, and thus they gained an experience that later enabled them to fill positions of responsibility. When separated from them, he still kept in touch with their work, and his letters to Timothy and to Titus are evidences of how deep was his desire for their success.  

Experienced workers today do a noble work when, instead of trying to carry all the burdens themselves, they train younger workers and place burdens on their shoulders.  Paul never forgot the responsibility resting on him as a minister of Christ, or that if souls were lost through unfaithfulness on his part, God would hold him accountable. "Whereof I am made a minister," he declared of the gospel, "according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfill the word of God; even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to His saints: to whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: whereunto I also labor, striving according to His working, which worketh in me mightily." Colossians 1:25-29.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 09:59:10 AM »
Good Fruit Cannot Come From a Bad Tree

To know God is, in the scriptural sense of the term, to be one with Him in heart and mind, having an experimental knowledge of Him, holding reverential communion with Him as the Redeemer. Only through sincere obedience can this communion be obtained. Where this communion is lacking, the heart is not in any sense a temple of God, but is controlled by the foe, who is working out his own purposes through the human agency. Such a man, whatever his profession or claims, is not a temple of the Holy Spirit.

The experience is perfected by fruit bearing. He who does not bear good fruit in words and deeds, in the strength of elevated, ennobling principle, is a bad tree. The fruit that he bears is unpalatable to God. His professed knowledge of Christ is a falsehood, a deception. In the light of the love of Christ, the gospel is an open book. This is the true light, which Christ came to bring to the world. The Saviour’s true disciples have received this love.

Following Christ’s example of unselfish service, trusting like little children in His merits, and obeying His commands, we shall receive the approval of God.