Author Topic: A Thought For Today  (Read 177506 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: A Thought For Today
« Reply #320 on: March 19, 2020, 08:20:02 PM »
Reprove or Not?

"I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise Thy head, and Thou shalt bruise his heel."  Genesis 3:15

This morning, long before day, I received a blessing from God. Before this blessing came, I felt that my strength was leaving me. I had great suffering through my whole body. It seemed as if the entire system were being crushed. Every nerve and sinew was in pain. I thought of calling up the family, and then I said aloud, “They can not give me relief.” I prayed to the Great Physician to change the condition of things, to let me feel His healing power. And relief came.

The Lord has given me this message for our churches: “Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and show My people their transgression, and the house of Jacob their sins.”

The whole of the fifty-eighth chapter of Isaiah is to be regarded as a message for this time, to be given over and over again. There is a strife between the forces of good and evil, between the loyal and the disloyal angels. Christ and Satan are not at an agreement, and they never will be. In every age the true church of God has engaged in decided warfare against satanic agencies. Until the controversy is ended, the struggle will go on, between wicked angels and wicked men on the one side, and holy angels and true believers on the other.

There is not, and can not be, a natural enmity between fallen angels and fallen men. Both are evil. Through apostasy, both cherish evil sentiments. Wicked angels and wicked men are leagued in a desperate confederacy against the good. Satan knew that if he could induce men, as he had induced angels, to unite with him in his rebellion, he would have a strong force with which to carry on his rebellion.

In the hosts of evil there is jarring and discord, but they are all firm allies in fighting against heaven. Their one aim is to disparage God, and their great numbers lead them to entertain the hope that they will be able to dethrone Omnipotence.

When Adam and Eve were placed in the garden of Eden, they were innocent and sinless, in perfect harmony with God. Enmity had no natural existence in their hearts. But when they transgressed, their nature was no longer sinless. They became evil; for they had placed themselves on the side of the fallen foe, doing the very things that God specified they should not do. Had there been no interference on the part of God, man would have formed a firm alliance with Satan against heaven. But when the words were spoken, “I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel,” Satan knew that although he had succeeded in making human beings sin, although he had led them to believe his lie, and to question God, although he had succeeded in depraving human nature, some arrangement had been made whereby the beings who had fallen would be placed on vantage ground, their nature renewed in godliness. He saw that his action in tempting them would react upon himself, and that he would be placed where he could not become conqueror.

In the statement, “I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed,” God pledged Himself to introduce into the hearts of human beings a new principle,—a hatred of sin, of deception, of pretense, of everything that bears the marks of Satan’s guile.

In the fulness of time Christ came, and in human nature lived on this earth a life unmarred by spot or stain of sin. With His whole being He hated sin of any kind. The emissaries of darkness give Christ the credit for being the one who expelled them from heaven. They hate Him for His purity. When He came to this world, His purity was a constant reproach to the proud, sensual generation then living on the earth. They hated Him, and in the end crucified Him.

In His work on this earth, Christ saw how, by a disregard of the injunctions of God, in regard to righteousness and true doctrines, evil would be made almost indistinguishable from good. At times He looked upon the deceiving power of Satan, and saw that the wrong-doing of evil workers must be met. At one such time there fell upon the ears of the multitude the words:—“Why do ye not understand My speech? even because ye can not hear My word. Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own; for he is a liar, and the father of it. And because I tell you the truth, ye believe Me not.”

Explaining the parable of the tares and the wheat, He said:—“He that sowed the good seed is the Son of man; the field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one; the enemy that sowed them is the devil: the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels. As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of the world. The Son of man shall send forth His angels, and they shall gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity; and shall cast them into a furnace of fire; there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth. Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.”

So we see that between Christ and Satan there is unceasing conflict. This conflict will be waged until the work of salvation is accomplished. And it will grow fiercer as the end approaches.

Through the transforming power of the grace of Christ, men may prevail against the evil that strives for the victory. They need not become the servants of Satan, the dupes of his lies. They need not continue to be his willing captives. They may rise against the deceiver, whose wily tissue of lies cost our first parents their Eden home. They may resist the attacks of Satan. God can give them power to distinguish between falsehood and error, between sincerity and truth. If they choose, they may stand on vantage ground. But they can continue to stand there only by placing their hand in the hand of Christ, and following where He leads the way. 

It is after man has received light and evidence, after he has seen the contrast between truth and error, that the struggle against sin begins in his heart. But this enmity against wrong did not exist in his heart until Christ placed it there. Those who are truly loyal will show that their mind and heart are fully with the Lord Jesus. They will discern the specious sentiments of Satan, and will refuse to endorse actions that God condemns. But he who continues to depart from the laws of Christ’s kingdom displays a spirit that is more and more decidedly at enmity against God.

The Lord calls upon the one who has been working unrighteousness to put away his sins, and be converted. Unless the transforming grace of Christ is poured into his soul, he will refuse to oppose the works of Satan. The human agent who is worked by the power of the enemy, will close the door of his heart to every appeal made by the Saviour. He will refuse to hear the words, “Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me.” And the God of heaven will not exercise His power to force man to practise righteousness, with the heart in determined resistance.

“There shall be enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed.” We pray that this enmity may be more decidedly seen, that righteousness may be exalted, and sin called by its right name.

When there are among God’s people those who have departed from the path of humble obedience, those who have exalted self, those who have united with Satan in accusing and condemning the men appointed of God to be ministers of salvation, shall we keep silence for fear of hurting their feelings? When there are men in the church who love riches more than righteousness, and who stand ready to take advantage of their fellow men by unjust dealings, shall we make no protest? And when men standing in the position of leaders and teachers work under the power of spiritualistic ideas and sophistries, shall we keep silent, for fear of injuring their influence, while souls are being beguiled? Satan will use every advantage that he can obtain to cause souls to become beclouded and perplexed in regard to the work of the church, in regard to the word of God, and in regard to the words of warning which He has given through the testimonies of His Spirit, to guard His little flock from the subtleties of the enemy.

When men stand out in defiance against the counsel of God, they are warring against God. Is it right for those connected with such ones to treat them as if they were in perfect harmony with them, making no difference between him that serveth God and him that serveth him not? Though they be ministers or medical missionaries, they have dishonored Christ before the forces of the loyal and the disloyal. Open rebuke is necessary, to prevent others from being ensnared.

To believe that evil must not be condemned because this would condemn those who practise the evil, is to act in favor of falsehood. If, after a man has been given many cautions and warnings, to save him from his hereditary and cultivated tendencies to wrong, he takes offense, and refuses to accept the message graciously sent him from heaven, and puts aside the reproof of the Holy Spirit, his heart and conscience become hardened, and he is in great darkness. { SpTB02 10.1 }
The enmity that God has put in our hearts against deceptive practises, must be kept alive, because these practises endanger the souls of those who do not hate them. All deceptive dealings, all untruthfulness regarding the Father and the Son, by which their characters are presented in a false light, are to be recognized as grievous sins. There are those who have become apt scholars in this deceptive work. Those who can not see the danger that is threatening the Lord’s heritage because of these things will soon feel no enmity against the arch deceiver. Those who stand in positions of trust in our institutions are to show constant vigilance, else they will be taken captive. In words and deportment, in all their business transactions, they are to show the exactitude that will win the commendation, “Well done, good and faithful servant.”

It should now be clearly understood that we are not really helping those who are determined to do evil, when we show them respect, and keep our words
of reproof for those with whom the disaffected one is at enmity. A grave mistake has been and is being made in this matter. Shall the servants of Jehovah, into whose heart He puts enmity against every evil work, be assailed as not being right when they call evil evil, and good good? Those who feel so very peaceable in regard to the works of the men who are spoiling the faith of the people of God, are guided by a delusive sentiment.

There is to be a constant conflict between good and evil. Those who are enlightened by the Holy Spirit’s power are to strive with every power of their being to snatch the prey from the seductive influences of men who refuse to obey the word of God, whether they be in high places or in low. Christ’s property is not to pass out of His control into the control of the children of darkness.

If this matter were rightly understood and closely guarded, God’s servants would feel a continual burden of responsibility to counterwork the efforts of the men who do not know what they are about, because they are enchanted by the delusive allurements of Satan. When God’s people are fully awake to the danger of the hour, and work fully on Christ’s side, there will be seen a sharp contrast between their course and that of those who are saying, “Good Lord, and good devil,” and we shall see much firmer and more decided work done to counterwork the schemes of satanic agencies.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #321 on: October 29, 2020, 08:14:11 AM »
We Are Born Evil

"I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise Thy head, and Thou shalt bruise his heel."  Genesis 3:15

The Lord has given me this message for our churches: “Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and show My people their transgression, and the house of Jacob their sins.”

The whole of the fifty-eighth chapter of Isaiah is to be regarded as a message for this time, to be given over and over again. There is a strife between the forces of good and evil, between the loyal and the disloyal angels. Christ and Satan are not at an agreement, and they never will be. In every age the true church of God has engaged in decided warfare against satanic agencies. Until the controversy is ended, the struggle will go on, between wicked angels and wicked men on the one side, and holy angels and true believers on the other.

There is not, and can not be, a natural enmity between fallen angels and fallen men. Both are evil. Through apostasy, both cherish evil sentiments. Wicked angels and wicked men are leagued in a desperate confederacy against the good. Satan knew that if he could induce men, as he had induced angels, to unite with him in his rebellion, he would have a strong force with which to carry on his rebellion.

Until born again of the Spirit, we cannot do any good thing. When filled with the Spirit, we will manifest all of the fruits of the Spirit, thus Jesus tells us that we shall know the true from the false by their fruits. One cannot manifest good fruit from a bad tree, nor can a good tree manifest bad fruit no matter how many lettered men and women teach otherwise. We do not believe in holy flesh this side of the second coming of our Lord and Savior. But, sinful flesh is not an excuse for sin, for our heavenly Father has provided a remedy for the sin sick soul if it will love the Lord our God with all of the heart. Half a heart or even one giving up 99% is still carnal and thus reveals self is still alive and well. Unknown pride in the heart is not a "new heart" and therefor out of the abundance of that heart the mouth will speak things that ought not be spoken. Bad fruit will indicate a carnal heart.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #322 on: January 04, 2021, 11:52:48 AM »
The Glory of God

"The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth His handiwork."  Psalm 19:1

The audio does not. Best to turn off audio and listen to heavenly music while beholding His glory.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #323 on: February 27, 2021, 07:41:00 AM »
Hating the Truth Plots Murder

"Now Haman was come into the outward court of the king's house, to speak unto the king to hang Mordecai on the gallows that he had prepared for him." Esther 6:4 

Church and state are now making preparations for the future conflict. Protestants are working in disguise to bring Sunday to the front, as did the Romanists. Throughout the land the papacy is piling up her lofty and massive structures, in the secret recesses of which her former persecutions are to be repeated. And the way is preparing for the manifestation, on a grand scale, of those lying wonders by which, if it were possible, Satan would deceive even the elect.

The decree which is to go forth against the people of God will be very similar to that issued by Ahasuerus against the Jews in the time of Esther. The Persian edict sprang from the malice of Haman toward Mordecai. Not that Mordecai had done him harm, but he had refused to show him reverence which belongs only to God. The king’s decision against the Jews was secured under false pretenses through misrepresentation of that peculiar people. Satan instigated the scheme in order to rid the earth of those who preserved the knowledge of the true God. But his plots were defeated by a counterpower that reigns among the children of men. Angels that excel in strength were commissioned to protect the people of God, and the plots of their adversaries returned upon their own heads. The Protestant world today see in the little company keeping the Sabbath a Mordecai in the gate. His character and conduct, expressing reverence for the law of God, are a constant rebuke to those who have cast off the fear of the Lord and are trampling upon His Sabbath; the unwelcome intruder must by some means be put out of the way.

The same masterful mind that plotted against the faithful in ages past is still seeking to rid the earth of those who fear God and obey His law. Satan will excite indignation against the humble minority who conscientiously refuse to accept popular customs and traditions. Men of position and reputation will join with the lawless and the vile to take counsel against the people of God. Wealth, genius, education, will combine to cover them with contempt. Persecuting rulers, ministers, and church members will conspire against them. With voice and pen, by boasts, threats, and ridicule, they will seek to overthrow their faith. By false representations and angry appeals they will stir up the passions of the people. Not having a “Thus saith the Scriptures” to bring against the advocates of the Bible Sabbath, they will resort to oppressive enactments to supply the lack. To secure popularity and patronage, legislators will yield to the demand for a Sunday law. Those who fear God cannot accept an institution that violates a precept of the Decalogue. On this battlefield comes the last great conflict of the controversy between truth and error. And we are not left in doubt as to the issue. Now, as in the days of Mordecai, the Lord will vindicate His truth and His people. "Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up." Matthew 15:13.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #324 on: October 04, 2021, 05:58:13 AM »
Persecution

"Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you." Matthew 5:11,12 

German homeschooling parents, Uwe and Hannelore Romeike, faced loss of custody of their five children and potential jail time under a German government policy seeking to stamp out “parallel societies” by banning homeschooling. After fleeing to the U.S. following two years of legal threats in Germany, a U.S. immigration judge granted the family asylum in 2010, calling the policy “odd,” “silly,” and “utterly repellent to everything we believe as Americans.” Later, however, the Obama administration appealed the decision, and the appeal court overturned the judge’s original decision.

Alliance Defending Freedom represents a number of families in Germany in situations where children have been removed and parents have been imprisoned. The Romeikes clearly have an understandable fear of persecution. While Uwe agrees there is a fair amount of religious freedom in Germany, he says that the buck stops when it comes to homeschooling. He believes, “Germany wants to impose its worldview on children and does not want parents to form their children according to their own worldview – as it might be different to that of the German state.”

Alliance Defending Freedom and Schulunterricht zu Hause, a legal support group for German homeschooling families, submitted legal arguments with the U.S. Supreme Court asking to reinstate asylum for this persecuted German family. “Parents have the freedom and authority to make decisions regarding their own children’s education without undue government interference,” said Alliance Defending Freedom Chief Counsel Benjamin Bull. “The immigration court clearly recognized that the German policy of persecuting homeschooling families violates basic human rights. The Supreme Court should uphold that decision, reverse the 6th Circuit ruling, and allow the Romeikes to remain in the U.S. rather than face certain punishment in Germany simply for homeschooling their children.”

On March 3, 2014, the petition for certiorari was denied by the U.S. Supreme Court.
  source

Judgment is turned away backward, and justice standeth afar off: for truth is fallen in the street, and equity cannot enter. Yea, truth faileth; and he that departeth from evil maketh himself a prey: and the LORD saw it, and it displeased him that there was no judgment." Isaiah 59:14,15.

rahab

« Reply #325 on: October 08, 2021, 06:25:43 PM »
Happy Sabbath everyone  :)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #326 on: November 25, 2021, 07:33:11 AM »
Thanksgiving Day-A Testimony

Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless His holy name.  Psalm 103 

What an opportunity Seventh-day Adventists have on this Thanksgiving Day, 2021!  Many celebrate this wonderful holiday as they do Christmas, but we then give up the opportunity to help others not so blessed that they might know there is a God of great love. We may take advantage of the opportunity given to us to give thanks to Him who gave all that we might live. How much have we been given? Contemplate the multitude of blessings including all of the answered prayers. Bless the LORD, O my soul!!

Nearly the whole of Thanksgiving day, November 29, was spent in church. Our morning meeting was one of special interest. In a cheerful testimony every one had a thank-offering to present to God. In the forenoon we had a Bible-reading on the subject of thanksgiving, and it was clearly shown from the Scriptures that it is our duty to glorify God by offering thanks and praise. This was a most precious season. All were instructed and reproved; for repining at the dealings of God has been almost continual, while gratitude and praise had been seldom expressed and little cherished in the heart. Many confessed that they had cherished doubt and distrust, and had reaped as they had sown; and as they expressed a resolution to reform in this particular, I reminded them that when pretexts for dissatisfaction are presented, we are to say, “Get thee behind me, Satan.” Let every one who has tasted of the love of God praise him for his goodness to the children of men. In this let every soul be whole-hearted and sincere.

It is a great cause of gratitude that we understand the nature of this day better than we once did. It is not designed to minister to our selfish gratification in the enjoyment of every luxury because God has bestowed upon us the rich bounties of his providence; on the contrary, we are to recall his mercies, and to meditate upon his favors with thankful hearts. To devote this day to gluttony, and our time and strength to the preparation of rich and expensive dishes, thus tempting our families and friends to gorge themselves, instead of offering thanksgiving to God, is the basest idolatry of self; for it is perverting the very best gifts of Heaven to the indulgence of appetite. Many thus lay the foundation for disease and premature death, and furnish Satan an occasion for hellish exultation.

I could not let this opportunity to invite sinners to Jesus pass unimproved. I wanted all who had not previously done so to present themselves a thank-offering to Him who has made so costly an offering for them. Oh, matchless love! Oh, precious, precious offering in our behalf, that we might have eternal life! In response to the invitation, about thirty came forward, including some who had backslidden from God, and quite a number who were seeking him for the first time. What a precious thank-offering to Jesus was this! He himself says, “Joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.” There was indeed cause for rejoicing when the news was borne to heaven that on Thanksgiving day, November 29, 1883, at South Lancaster, Mass., souls were deserting the black banner of Satan, and taking their position beneath the blood-stained banner of Prince Immanuel. In imagination I could hear the response of praise, as angels told the glad news that these precious souls had entered into covenant with God to obey him as dear children, and that their names were enrolled in the Lamb’s book of life. What a victory was this for Christ, and what a disappointment for Satan!

Our meeting closed about two o’clock, and we then took ample refreshments; but we had no time to devote to the preparation of extra dishes. We were having a feast of fat things; we were eating of the Bread of Heaven, and drinking rich draughts from the well of Bethlehem. Jesus graced the feast with his royal presence, and our hearts were joyful in him. The testimonies borne by our brethren and sisters were full of courage and gratitude to God; and their verdict was, “Oh, what a Thanksgiving day this has been! It is the best Thanksgiving day I ever experienced!”  Review and Herald; January 15, 1884.

Israel is an example for us whom the end of the world is come. Take time to consider the blessings extended to the children of Abraham over 2,000 years. And then remember what was their end. They were indeed a people who thought they were rich and increased with goods, but knew not they were miserable, wretched, poor, blind, and naked. God is long-suffering towards the children of men. Finally after they had put to death the Son of God,  the nation of Israel was forever cut off.

Today, modern Israel has not learned the lesson wherein Israel fell and was cut off. We are to call all who love the Lord our God with their whole heart out of the fallen churches that they may receive the blessings God wants to impart. But, He does not work mightily to bring in all who are seeking truth, for many, if they were to come into our churches, would see hypocrisy and leave never more to return. Unlike Israel, modern day Israel will see revival and reformation and prepare a people to receive Jesus at His soon coming.

Now take time to listen to the opportunity Israel had to take advantage of the blessings of God, but instead soon forgot all God had done for them. From the mouth of Nehemiah, the Word of God to Israel then, and today.

9:1   Now in the twenty and fourth day of this month the children of Israel were assembled with fasting, and with sackclothes, and earth upon them. 
 9:2   And the seed of Israel separated themselves from all strangers, and stood and confessed their sins, and the iniquities of their fathers. 
 9:3   And they stood up in their place, and read in the book of the law of the LORD their God [one] fourth part of the day; and [another] fourth part they confessed, and worshipped the LORD their God. 
 9:4   Then stood up upon the stairs, of the Levites, Jeshua, and Bani, Kadmiel, Shebaniah, Bunni, Sherebiah, Bani, [and] Chenani, and cried with a loud voice unto the LORD their God. 
 9:5   Then the Levites, Jeshua, and Kadmiel, Bani, Hashabniah, Sherebiah, Hodijah, Shebaniah, [and] Pethahiah, said, Stand up [and] bless the LORD your God for ever and ever: and blessed be thy glorious name, which is exalted above all blessing and praise. 
 9:6   Thou, [even] thou, [art] LORD alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all [things] that [are] therein, the seas, and all that [is] therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee. 
 9:7   Thou [art] the LORD the God, who didst choose Abram, and broughtest him forth out of Ur of the Chaldees, and gavest him the name of Abraham; 
 9:8   And foundest his heart faithful before thee, and madest a covenant with him to give the land of the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Amorites, and the Perizzites, and the Jebusites, and the Girgashites, to give [it, I say], to his seed, and hast performed thy words; for thou [art] righteous: 
 9:9   And didst see the affliction of our fathers in Egypt, and heardest their cry by the Red sea; 
 9:10   And showedst signs and wonders upon Pharaoh, and on all his servants, and on all the people of his land: for thou knewest that they dealt proudly against them. So didst thou get thee a name, as [it is] this day. 
 9:11   And thou didst divide the sea before them, so that they went through the midst of the sea on the dry land; and their persecutors thou threwest into the deeps, as a stone into the mighty waters. 
 9:12   Moreover thou leddest them in the day by a cloudy pillar; and in the night by a pillar of fire, to give them light in the way wherein they should go. 
 9:13   Thou camest down also upon mount Sinai, and spakest with them from heaven, and gavest them right judgments, and true laws, good statutes and commandments: 
 9:14   And madest known unto them thy holy sabbath, and commandedst them precepts, statutes, and laws, by the hand of Moses thy servant: 
 9:15   And gavest them bread from heaven for their hunger, and broughtest forth water for them out of the rock for their thirst, and promisedst them that they should go in to possess the land which thou hadst sworn to give them. 
 9:16   But they and our fathers dealt proudly, and hardened their necks, and hearkened not to thy commandments, 
 9:17   And refused to obey, neither were mindful of thy wonders that thou didst among them; but hardened their necks, and in their rebellion appointed a captain to return to their bondage: but thou [art] a God ready to pardon, gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and forsookest them not. 
 9:18   Yea, when they had made them a molten calf, and said, This [is] thy God that brought thee up out of Egypt, and had wrought great provocations; 
 9:19   Yet thou in thy manifold mercies forsookest them not in the wilderness: the pillar of the cloud departed not from them by day, to lead them in the way; neither the pillar of fire by night, to show them light, and the way wherein they should go. 
 9:20   Thou gavest also thy good spirit to instruct them, and withheldest not thy manna from their mouth, and gavest them water for their thirst. 
 9:21   Yea, forty years didst thou sustain them in the wilderness, [so that] they lacked nothing; their clothes waxed not old, and their feet swelled not. 
 9:22   Moreover thou gavest them kingdoms and nations, and didst divide them into corners: so they possessed the land of Sihon, and the land of the king of Heshbon, and the land of Og king of Bashan. 
 9:23   Their children also multipliedst thou as the stars of heaven, and broughtest them into the land, concerning which thou hadst promised to their fathers, that they should go in to possess [it]. 
 9:24   So the children went in and possessed the land, and thou subduedst before them the inhabitants of the land, the Canaanites, and gavest them into their hands, with their kings, and the people of the land, that they might do with them as they would. 
 9:25   And they took strong cities, and a fat land, and possessed houses full of all goods, wells digged, vineyards, and oliveyards, and fruit trees in abundance: so they did eat, and were filled, and became fat, and delighted themselves in thy great goodness. 
 9:26   Nevertheless they were disobedient, and rebelled against thee, and cast thy law behind their backs, and slew thy prophets which testified against them to turn them to thee, and they wrought great provocations. 
 9:27   Therefore thou deliveredst them into the hand of their enemies, who vexed them: and in the time of their trouble, when they cried unto thee, thou heardest [them] from heaven; and according to thy manifold mercies thou gavest them saviours, who saved them out of the hand of their enemies. 
 9:28   But after they had rest, they did evil again before thee: therefore leftest thou them in the hand of their enemies, so that they had the dominion over them: yet when they returned, and cried unto thee, thou heardest [them] from heaven; and many times didst thou deliver them according to thy mercies; 
 9:29   And testifiedst against them, that thou mightest bring them again unto thy law: yet they dealt proudly, and hearkened not unto thy commandments, but sinned against thy judgments, (which if a man do, he shall live in them;) and withdrew the shoulder, and hardened their neck, and would not hear. 
 9:30   Yet many years didst thou forbear them, and testifiedst against them by thy spirit in thy prophets: yet would they not give ear: therefore gavest thou them into the hand of the people of the lands. 
 9:31   Nevertheless for thy great mercies' sake thou didst not utterly consume them, nor forsake them; for thou [art] a gracious and merciful God. 
 9:32   Now therefore, our God, the great, the mighty, and the terrible God, who keepest covenant and mercy, let not all the trouble seem little before thee, that hath come upon us, on our kings, on our princes, and on our priests, and on our prophets, and on our fathers, and on all thy people, since the time of the kings of Assyria unto this day. 
 9:33   Howbeit thou [art] just in all that is brought upon us; for thou hast done right, but we have done wickedly: 
 9:34   Neither have our kings, our princes, our priests, nor our fathers, kept thy law, nor hearkened unto thy commandments and thy testimonies, wherewith thou didst testify against them. 
 9:35   For they have not served thee in their kingdom, and in thy great goodness that thou gavest them, and in the large and fat land which thou gavest before them, neither turned they from their wicked works. 
 9:36   Behold, we [are] servants this day, and [for] the land that thou gavest unto our fathers to eat the fruit thereof and the good thereof, behold, we [are] servants in it: 
 9:37   And it yieldeth much increase unto the kings whom thou hast set over us because of our sins: also they have dominion over our bodies, and over our cattle, at their pleasure, and we [are] in great distress. 
 9:38   And because of all this we make a sure [covenant], and write [it]; and our princes, Levites, [and] priests, seal [unto it]. 

We have another message from Jesus, one of great hope that if allowed into our hearts will prove a blessing that when followed will bring eternal life with Jesus for eternity.

"I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and [that] the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches." 

Like with Israel of Old, God has been patient with us. Time after time has He not blessed us when we do not deserve such blessings? Today, we may bless the One who gave all for us.  When thou hast eaten and art full, then thou shalt bless the LORD thy God for all which He hath given thee. Beware that thou forget not the LORD thy God, in not keeping His commandments, and His judgments, and His statutes, which I command thee this day: Lest when thou hast eaten and art full, and hast built goodly houses, and dwelt therein; And when thy herds and thy flocks multiply, and thy silver and thy gold is multiplied, and all that thou hast is multiplied; Then thine heart be lifted up, and thou forget the LORD thy God.

103:1  Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless His holy name. 
 103:2   Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits: 
 103:3   Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases; 
 103:4   Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies; 
 103:5   Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's. 
 103:6   The LORD executeth righteousness and judgment for all that are oppressed. 
 103:7   He made known His ways unto Moses, His acts unto the children of Israel. 
 103:8   The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. 
 103:9   He will not always chide: neither will He keep His anger for ever. 
 103:10   He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities. 
 103:11   For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is His mercy toward them that fear Him. 
 103:12   As far as the east is from the west, so far hath He removed our transgressions from us. 
 103:13   Like as a father pitieth His children, so the LORD pitieth them that fear Him. 
 103:14   For he knoweth our frame; He remembereth that we are dust. 
 103:15   As for man, his days are as grass: as a flower of the field, so he flourisheth. 
 103:16   For the wind passeth over it, and it is gone; and the place thereof shall know it no more. 
 103:17   But the mercy of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear Him, and His righteousness unto children's children; 
 103:18   To such as keep his covenant, and to those that remember His commandments to do them. 
 103:19   The LORD hath prepared his throne in the heavens; and his kingdom ruleth over all. 
 103:20   Bless the LORD, ye His angels, that excel in strength, that do His commandments, hearkening unto the voice of His Word. 
 103:21   Bless ye the LORD, all ye His hosts; ye ministers of His, that do His pleasure. 
 103:22   Bless the LORD, all His works in all places of His dominion: bless the LORD, O my soul. 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #327 on: December 18, 2021, 07:58:07 AM »
Peace in a World Soon to Perish

"Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me." John 15:4   

Walk humbly with Christ, daily learning the lesson of meekness and lowliness. Thus your heart will become a temple for the Holy Spirit, and nothing but God alone can fill a temple where God dwells. Do not look on the dark side. When the Israelites were content with the portion of manna that God gave, they found that it was sweet, and full of nourishment for both body and soul. When they were dissatisfied, there were worms in the manna. Contentment is a blessing, and discontent a curse.

You need the peace of Christ. God is your Father. He would have you take more time to rest, that you may have a healthy spiritual experience. He loves you with a deep and tender love. O children, there are great things before us. Do not allow your mind to become in any way diseased. God wants your mind to be clear, your temper sweet, and your love abounding. Then the peace that passeth knowledge will flow forth from you to bless all with whom you come into contact. The atmosphere surrounding your soul will be refreshing. Your words will be fragrant. You need spiritual life. This life would give vigor to your soul and to your body. Spiritual life yields to its possessor that which all the world is seeking, but which can never be obtained without an entire surrender to God. You will have to say more often than you have ever yet said, “Be still, and know that I am God.” This will give your soul the needed rest. It will give you contentment in doing the very best you can.

Spiritual life---what is it? It is the contemplation of Him who loved us and gave Himself for us, that our lives might be sweet and fragrant, that we might have power to perfect an unselfish Christian experience, and that from us others might learn to do good. The work given you is to represent Christ. He came to this world to shed upon you His own brightness and peace. Close the window of your heart against the atmosphere of unbelief, and open them heavenward. It is your privilege to face the light, to talk light and faith. Be affable and compassionate. Let your countenance reflect the joy of the Lord. Speak of His goodness and tell of His power. Then your light will shine more and more distinctly. Above your trials and disappointments will be revealed the reflection of a pure, healthy religious life. In the outworking of the inner life there will be a wonderful peace and joy. You may reflect the beauty of the character of your risen Lord, who, though He was rich, yet for our sake became poor, that through His poverty we might be made rich in the grace of heaven. As you rise above despondency into the clear sunlight of the presence of Christ, you will reveal the glory of God.

We can, we can reveal the likeness of our divine Lord. We can know the science of spiritual life. We can glorify God in our body and in our spirit, which are His. Do we do it? Oh, what an illustrious example we have in the life that Christ lived on this earth. He has shown us what we can accomplish through co-operation with Him. We are to seek for the union with Him of which He speaks when He says, “Abide in Me, and I in you.” This union is deeper, stronger, truer, than any other union. The heart must be filled with the grace of Christ. His will must control us, moving us by His love to suffer with those who suffer, to rejoice with those who rejoice, to feel a deep tenderness for every one in weakness, sorrow, or distress.

Being partakers of the divine nature will make us willing always to reach forth a helping hand to those in need of relief. Christ’s heart was ever touched with pity at the sight of human woe. He died on the cross of Calvary to lift from man the penalty of transgression. He came to our world to make it possible for sinful human beings to obtain salvation. He wept over the sorrow and suffering that He saw on every hand. He groaned in spirit in behalf of the tried and tempted, but He would not fail or become discouraged. He must believe and press forward in order to make it possible for them to gain eternal life.

Christ’s life on this earth is a perfect reflection of the divine law. In Him is life and hope and light. Behold Him, and you will become changed into the same likeness, from character to character.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #328 on: January 29, 2022, 10:02:34 PM »
Pope Says to Keep the Sabbath

"For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it." Exodus 20:11  The pope

“What the Jews followed, and still observe, was to consider the Sabbath as holy,” he says. “On Saturday you rest. One day of the week. That’s the least! Out of gratitude, to worship god, to spend time with the family, to play, to do all of these things. We are not machines.”

And the ten horns out of this kingdom are ten kings that shall arise: and another shall rise after them; and he shall be diverse from the first, and he shall subdue three kings. And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time. But the judgment shall sit, and they shall take away his dominion, to consume and to destroy it unto the end. And the kingdom and dominion, and the greatness of the kingdom under the whole heaven, shall be given to the people of the saints of the most High, whose kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and all dominions shall serve and obey Him." Daniel 7:24-27 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #329 on: August 01, 2022, 10:13:40 AM »
The Sinning Soul Shall Surely Die

"And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear Him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." Matthew 10:28   

Recently I was listening to a professing Protestant preacher teaching that the soul cannot die. Seldom do I listen to professing Protestant preachers, so I was rather shocked to actually hear such a thing being taught by a well respected pastor. Yes, I know it exists, but I have not heard someone saying such a thing for a long time. When witnessing to those not of our faith, I generally always find common ground to share, not the difficult truths we understand. He quoted or rather misquoted or took out of context Matthew 10:28. "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell " NIV.   The KJV says "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear Him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."

When going to the NIV thinking that it said what he had said, I found it does not. He had quoted the first half, but not the second half and then said without taking a breath, that the soul cannot be killed.  "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul." The verse is telling us we ought not fear Satan, for He cannot kill the soul that is fully surrendered to God. I am quite familiar with the verse since the second half ought to cause some to tremble since God can kill both, and will destroy both when one refuses to accept His most precious gift of salvation through the suffering and death of His innocent Son.

Thus, when faced with a false teaching on this subject, consider the second half of the verse which speaks the truth that the soul according to the Bible not only can be killed, but will be for all who are resurrected after the thousand years. The prophet Ezekiel also confirms that the soul that sins shall surely die. "Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die." Verse 18:4.  And again in Ezekiel 18:20 "The soul that sinneth, it shall die."

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #330 on: December 31, 2022, 10:37:32 AM »

For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord." Luke 2:11

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #331 on: August 11, 2023, 06:37:00 AM »
"The Strong to Bear the Infirmities of the Weak"

"The Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give His life a ransom for many." Matthew 20:28   

In the days of Jesus, in the world the people were supposed to exist for the benefit of the ruling classes. Influence, wealth, education, were so many means of gaining control of the masses for the use of the leaders. The higher classes were to think, decide, enjoy, and rule; the lower were to obey and serve. Religion, like all things else, was a matter of authority. The people were expected to believe and practice as their superiors directed. The right of man as man, to think and act for himself, was wholly unrecognized. And, so it is today with the global elite. They are truly deceived and know not their rule is soon to end with the coming of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
     When Jesus left heaven and came to this dark spot in the universe, He was establishing a kingdom on different principles. He called men, not to authority, but to service, the strong to bear the infirmities of the weak. Power, position, talent, education, placed their possessor under the greater obligation to serve his fellows. To even the lowliest of Christ's disciples it is said, "All things are for your sakes." 2 Corinthians 4:15.   
     "The Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give His life a ransom for many." Among His disciples Christ was in every sense a caretaker, a burden bearer. He shared their poverty, He practiced self-denial on their account, He went before them to smooth the more difficult places, and soon He would consummate His work on earth by laying down His life. The principle on which Christ acted is to actuate the members of the church which is His body. The plan and ground of salvation is love. In the kingdom of Christ those are greatest who follow the example He has given, and act as shepherds of His flock.   

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Doing the Lord's Work--Maranatha Convention 2023
« Reply #332 on: September 24, 2023, 06:21:38 AM »
Morning meeting

Afternoon meeting