Author Topic: Tomatoes  (Read 108973 times)

Marelis

Re: Tomatoes
« Reply #140 on: April 12, 2012, 11:20:56 AM »
Yes, the smell of the earth, the soil, compost and plants is so uplifting.  I love the smell of compost!  And the texture.  I am one of the naughty gardeners who would rather have dirty hands than wear gloves, but am particular not to inhale particles of soil or compost.  For as long as possible I like to be without shoes in the garden, like to feel the dew and grass and mulch under my feet,
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #141 on: April 12, 2012, 12:55:30 PM »
Your avatar is most appropriate!  :)
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Marelis

« Reply #142 on: April 12, 2012, 02:11:01 PM »
Ha, not sure about the subtleties of language where you are, Br Myers, but where I am, to be called a bunny or a rabbit is not to be taken as a compliment.  ;D
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #143 on: April 12, 2012, 05:33:29 PM »
Maybe he meant gardens and rabbits are typically found in the same vicinity.  ;) They, too enjoy barefoot walks in a garden!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Marelis

« Reply #144 on: April 12, 2012, 07:55:49 PM »
I was only teasing, Sybil.   ;)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #145 on: April 12, 2012, 08:56:15 PM »
Oh!  :D  Sorry ...

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #146 on: April 12, 2012, 10:40:03 PM »
After awhile, the things of this world seem very foreign. We had two rabbits when they were set free. One little guy did not survive very long, the other is still living. He hops around and has become quite wild. He used to come and get a carrot, but because he is more cautious, he is still alive. The other one was quite tame and just a little pet. To trusting for this world. Like the lamb, the little bunnies do not hurt any creature. But, like deer they tend to want to eat the garden.  :)
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

colporteur

« Reply #147 on: July 02, 2012, 07:41:32 PM »
Tomtoes are my favorite garden item. This year mine have survived spray drift by the farmers and the grasshoppers. They are 5-6 ft. tall so far (the tomatoes). They should reach twice that or more if I keep the water coming. Today I have run the water for 10 hours at 1000 gal. per hour. The drought is becoming severe. 50% chance of rain these days means the probability of enough sprinkle to settle the dust but that's all.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #148 on: July 02, 2012, 08:54:07 PM »
Tell us how you prepared the soil for planting your tomatoes, cp.

colporteur

« Reply #149 on: July 03, 2012, 12:24:27 PM »
Tell us how you prepared the soil for planting your tomatoes, cp.

I didn't do anythng special. If I had the compost I would use that and plenty of it. On top of meeting the basic needs of the plant the key is how they are caged. In a medium climate the tomatoes will grow to 14 ft tall and in a warm climate like down south you can add up to another 6 ft. Most people do not adequately support the plant and it breaks down. Store bought cages are worthless.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #150 on: July 03, 2012, 03:59:41 PM »
With so much plant, do the tomatoes suffer?

colporteur

« Reply #151 on: July 05, 2012, 02:31:21 PM »
With so much plant, do the tomatoes suffer?

Not as long as the plant has enough sun, water, and soil fertility. The tomato was never intended to be the dwarf plants we so often see today. The world's most successful tomato grower grew a plant, one plant, that produced 5 bushel of tomatoes. That's about 110 quarts of canned tomatoes. He did it organically. His tallest plant reached 26 ft tall. I expect to reach 13-16 feet tall, that is, If I keep pumping the water to the plants. Since there is more plant and therefore more shaded plant they are sometimes more suspectable to blight. It is best not to spray water on the leaves and to mulch so as to not only hold moisture but to help keep soil born fungus and such off the leaves. One can prune the plant and cut back on some of the less productive growth though I never have done this. The leaves help protect from sunscald.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #152 on: July 05, 2012, 10:19:10 PM »
It sounds like you keep the plant watered daily?

colporteur

« Reply #153 on: July 06, 2012, 11:00:57 AM »

I don't usually water daily but there should  be good moisture in the ground. In hot, dry weather I water about every other day or so. Today it is currently 101.6 with a feels like of 122 degrees. The tomatoes are growing like crazy. Its a little hard on the fruit which is not shaded.

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 19, 2012, 05:40:07 PM »
CP we have been enjoying the same book.      i never considered that fungus could come in through storms.

he has taken gardening to an almose Eden like sience and art form

proper water - not tap water.

soil preperation the season before planting.

the healthiest seeds of the best varities

creating better and better compost with proper forms of nutrients to support goals all during growth and production

proper support and pruning and management while growing and production

sanitation

harvesting

I hope a second edition that step by step trains more ................... gets created, published and sold.

As I learn    I can try out the techniques in my patio container garden on the tomatoes & peppers.
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #155 on: July 19, 2012, 06:25:11 PM »
Good! Let us know how it turns out!

By the way, I have the primary materials for a pcv hoophouse and will begin construction soon. :D It will be small this first season until I can figure out what I'm doing, what works and what doesn't. Pray for me. I have never done this!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2012, 09:50:32 PM »
We will. We are just as anxious as you are to see the finished product!

The first ripe tomato will be eaten this coming Sabbath!  Guess where it came from!

colporteur

« Reply #157 on: July 24, 2012, 01:27:48 PM »

The first ripe tomato will be eaten this coming Sabbath!  Guess where it came from!

The first is always the best isn't it. I am currently sitting at a  plate of baked potatoes from the garden as well as garden okra, tomato, and onion in a gumbo type soup. Since the okra loves heat it has been a very good year for them here, best ever. It is currently 4 ft tall and 4ft, wide growing well and I harvest every day. Yesterday I put up some jars of canned okra, tomato, and garlic.

colporteur

« Reply #158 on: July 24, 2012, 01:32:10 PM »
Ed, do you have a tomato crop this year ?

Marelis

« Reply #159 on: July 27, 2012, 03:28:01 AM »

The first is always the best isn't it. I am currently sitting at a  plate of baked potatoes from the garden as well as garden okra, tomato, and onion in a gumbo type soup. Since the okra loves heat it has been a very good year for them here, best ever. It is currently 4 ft tall and 4ft, wide growing well and I harvest every day. Yesterday I put up some jars of canned okra, tomato, and garlic.
Sounds wonderful, Colporteur. I've yet to grow okra, have some seeds. We love it cooked Indian-style serve with rice.