Author Topic: Tomatoes  (Read 108925 times)

colporteur

Re: Tomatoes
« Reply #120 on: March 03, 2012, 07:20:28 AM »
We all owe a great debt to Colonel Johnson.  8)

Myself especially !  Tomato is my favorite food. I love them large and small, raw, cooked, canned,... stewed,... brewed,... and... with almost any kind of food.   However, for me about the only way to ruin a good tomato is to put white sugar on it. Ugh !  :P
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

colporteur

« Reply #121 on: March 03, 2012, 07:23:43 AM »
Part II

The crowd gasped in horror as the Colonel placed the tomato in his mouth and ate it with apparent relish. They waited breathlessly, expecting soon to see him collapse writhing in dying agony on the courthouse steps … but nothing happened. Instead, praising the color and texture, he ate a second tomato, explaining that tomatoes were delicious either cooked or raw. He then invited the onlookers to join him in his meal, and a few of the braver ones went forward. Soon they too were relishing the tomatoes’ flavor.

The news spread quickly, and eventually tomatoes became a widely accepted article of diet providing a primary source of minerals and vitamins A and C. Today, the United States grows about 9 million metric tons of tomatoes yearly, and there are more varieties of tomatoes sold than of any other fruit.

The Bible teaches that the devil is a master of deception in convincing people to fear what is good and to eat what is bad.

colporteur

« Reply #122 on: March 03, 2012, 07:29:51 AM »

I think Colonel Sanders was the counter reformation to Colonel Johnson.  ;D

Marelis

« Reply #123 on: March 03, 2012, 11:12:13 AM »

I think Colonel Sanders was the counter reformation to Colonel Johnson.  ;D
Great story, Colporteur.
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #124 on: March 25, 2012, 02:06:24 PM »
Has anyone started their tomatoes from seed yet?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2012, 03:36:22 PM »
Until I have a greenhouse, I will not be growing tomatoes. Three years of trying at this elevation has proved fruitless.  :(
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #126 on: March 25, 2012, 04:43:16 PM »
There are many here in Maine who can sympathize with you.  There are many micro climates here in the State.  One person may be able to get a good crop of tomatoes, while their neighbor a few mile away, down in a cold hollow, may be unable to do so.  And those in the "higher" (above 1500') regions are often unable to grow them.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

colporteur

« Reply #127 on: March 25, 2012, 05:08:46 PM »

Yes, I started seed about two weeks ago. It is very early but we are about two months ahead climate wise. I plan to put in potatoes and some onions tomorrow.

Marelis

« Reply #128 on: March 25, 2012, 09:47:04 PM »
I have just started heirloom Siberian tomatoes from seed.  This past year I've had success with Russian, Zebra and Broad Ripple tomatoes from seed.
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #129 on: March 26, 2012, 09:56:17 PM »
Wow!!  Siberian, Russian, and Zebra!! If you are successful at seed saving and you get good tomatoes next year, we want one of your seeds!!  :)   God is so good. If I can get one of your seeds, I can produce enough to last me till Jesus comes!!  I think we are on to something.  It is a good thing we have a little time to practice at this!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #130 on: April 09, 2012, 09:19:51 PM »
Just got another important lesson in dealing with heirloom tomatoes.  I have always used my compost with a little moss and or sand to start my seeds indoors. This year I started some heirlooms and have lost many of them. I have never experienced serious damping off until now. I may have caused the problem by placing my seeds in a plastic cover partially covering the cups. I thought the additional moisture would help, but apparently it contributed to the damping off.

It is good to get these lessons out of the way when we still can obtain food elsewhere. Many will be sadly disappointed when they lose their seedlings or their garden plants.

Dorine

« Reply #131 on: April 10, 2012, 05:59:37 AM »
Sorry to hear that Richard. I've had that happen too and it's disappointing. I only use purchased mixtures for starting seeds now and when the seedlings peek through I take off the coverings and turn a small fan on to circulate the air. I've never had damping off since doing that. There's a bacteria in the soil that causes that. Have you tried planting the seeds in your soil mixture but not covering them and running a fan close by? You'd have to mist the soil frequently. It's interesting that what works for one person doesn't always work for another.

My daughter tried something last year that worked well for her. She used only vermiculite to grow her seeds in and when they had about 2-4 seeds on them they were easy to transplant into pots with soil. I don't think she covered them. Just kept them well misted.

But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

colporteur

« Reply #132 on: April 10, 2012, 07:00:08 AM »
I have found it a good idea if one is not planting a great number of seedlings to plant a second crop, maybe a week or two later. Then if there are any issues you have another attempt. If both crops produce well you can make a friend or neighbor happy by offering them plants. It is nice just to grow them for the sake of exercising the green thumb and if both crops produce well you can keep the choice crop or the one that is timed best for your transplanting.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #133 on: April 10, 2012, 10:26:21 AM »
I hope none of you mind because this is what I am going to do:

• vicariously enjoy watching the tomato plants all of you are growing
  • vicariously enjoy watching them bloom and mature
  • Then I will vicariously eat them with you - at your table - with much joy and thanksgiving, taking special note of their full heirloom flavor.
:)

For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #134 on: April 10, 2012, 09:04:46 PM »
:(  Find a sunny place indoors and grow one too. :)

I think the combination did it. I have never covered my seeds in the past and I will never do it again!  :)  They always do well. If it is not broken, do not fix it!!!  :)

Dorine

« Reply #135 on: April 11, 2012, 03:28:01 AM »

My daughter tried something last year that worked well for her. She used only vermiculite to grow her seeds in and when they had about 2-4 seeds on them they were easy to transplant into pots with soil. I don't think she covered them. Just kept them well misted.

Correction here: it's 2-4 leaves not seeds. I agree with you Richard about not trying to fix something that is not broken. Does this mean you won't have any tomatoes this year?
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Marelis

« Reply #136 on: April 11, 2012, 04:25:03 AM »
I hope you can still grow some more tomatoes, Br Myers.  Gardening sure is a learning process.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #137 on: April 11, 2012, 12:10:47 PM »
Will I have tomatoes this year?  Every year! The deer are always happy!  :)   Yes, I still have time to plant from seed, probably directly in the raised beds.  And, like many others, I will buy plants if it comes to that! Can't imagine going a whole year without a real tomato!!  :)

Marelis

« Reply #138 on: April 12, 2012, 07:08:58 AM »
Good, so long as you have tomatoes by any means.  Even if I never got to eat a single tomato I'd be satisfied enough just to smell the tomato branches early each morning.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #139 on: April 12, 2012, 08:36:19 AM »
Now you have done  it!!  It is not just the food that we are given after our labor, but it is the environment that we are in while we are gardening. It is beautiful and draws us nearer to God. And yes, Marelis, the early morning when there is no hot scorching sun beating down on us, what a joy to work in the garden!! and yes, the smell of the soil and the plants, the fresh morning air, the warm sun, all remind us of the great love that God has for us in providing such comfort and beauty. Thanks for the reminder.