Author Topic: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 6-Third Quarter 2014-Growing in Christ  (Read 12338 times)

Wally

• Romans 8:35, 38, 39
 Lesson 6 *August 2-8

Growing in Christ

Sabbath Afternoon

Read for This Week’s Study: John 3:1-15; 2 Cor. 5:17; John 15:4-10; Matt. 6:9-13; Luke 9:23-24.

Memory Text: "Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God" " (John 3:3, NKJV).

Nicodemus felt drawn to Christ but dared not visit Him openly. He greeted Jesus politely, acknowledging Him as a teacher from God. The Master knew that behind this courteous greeting was a seeker of truth; therefore, wasting no time, He told Nicodemus that he did not need theoretical knowledge as much as he did spiritual regeneration, a new birth.

This concept was hard for Nicodemus to grasp. Because of his descent from Abraham, he was sure he had a place in God’s kingdom; plus, as a strict Pharisee, he surely deserved the favor of God, right? So, why did he need such a radical change?

Patiently, Jesus explained that spiritual transformation is a supernatural work produced by the Holy Spirit. Though we cannot see or understand how it happens, we can perceive the results. We call it conversion, a new life in Christ.

Though we should always remember how the Lord called us and converted us, our challenge is to steadfastly abide in Him daily so that He can transform us more and more into His image.

*Study this week’s lesson to prepare for Sabbath, August 9.

Sunday August 3

To Be Born Again

A zealous Christian confronted a politician and asked her, "Have you been born again?" Angry at what she deemed a personal question, the politician replied, "It worked the first time, thank you."

Maybe it did, but considering our fallen nature, our first birth isn’t enough, at least not for eternal life. For that, we must be "born again."

Read Jesus’ conversation with Nicodemus in John 3:1-15. How did Jesus explain what it meant to be born again?

No doubt Nicodemus, a teacher in Israel, knew the Old Testament Scriptures, which speak about the need for a "new heart" and God’s willingness to create it in us (Ps. 51:10, Ezek. 36:26). Jesus explained to Nicodemus this truth and how it can happen.

The dialogue recorded by John ends with Jesus’ words. No answer from Nicodemus. He probably went home immersed in profound reflections. Quietly, the Holy Spirit worked in him, and three years later he was ready to openly become Jesus’ disciple.

The fact that it is necessary to be born again shows without a doubt that our previous birth is insufficient from a spiritual standpoint. The new birth must be a double one: of water and of the Spirit. In light of John the Baptist’s ministry, Nicodemus easily understood that to be born of water referred to baptism with water. What he also needed to know was that to be born of the Spirit is the renewing of the heart by the Holy Spirit.

There are similarities between physical and spiritual births. Both mark the beginning of a new life. Also, we produce neither birth ourselves; it’s done for us. But there is also an important difference between them: we were unable to choose if we wanted to be born physically; we can, however, choose to be born spiritually. Only those who freely decide to allow the Holy Spirit to generate a new spiritual self within them are born again. God respects our freedom and, although eager to transform us, He does not change us by force.

Think about the way in which the Lord produced your conversion. It does not matter if it was through dramatic circumstances or through a long and imperceptible process of transformation. How have you experienced the new birth?

Monday August 4

The New Life in Christ

Being born again is possible only through the work of the Holy Spirit. Jesus made use of the fact that the Greek word pneuma means both "Spirit" and "wind" in order to illustrate the process of conversion (John 3:8 ). The wind blows; none of us can start it, direct it, nor stop it. Its great power is beyond human control. We can only react to it, either resisting it or using its potential for our benefit.

Likewise, the Holy Spirit is constantly working upon the heart of every human being, drawing him or her to Christ. No one has control over its great saving and transforming power. We can resist it or yield to it. When we surrender ourselves to His convicting influence, the Holy Spirit produces a new life in us.

Is there any way to know if we have experienced the new birth? Yes. The Spirit works invisibly, but the results of His activity are visible. Those around us will know that Jesus created a new heart in us. The Spirit always produces an outward demonstration of the inward transformation He makes in us. As Jesus said, "by their fruits you will know them" (Matt. 7:20, NKJV).

The new life in Christ is not a patched-up life with a few external reformations. It is not a modification or improvement of the old life but a complete transformation.

What do the following texts tell us about what the new birth will accomplish in us? Titus 3:5-7, 2 Cor. 5:17, Gal. 6:15.

Through the Holy Spirit, Christ implants in us new thoughts, feelings, and motives. He awakens our conscience, changes our mind, subdues every unholy desire, and fills us with the sweet peace of heaven. Though the change doesn’t happen instantly, over time we do become a new creature in Christ. We have to, because the original version, the one that came out of the womb, isn’t right with God.

Meditate on your life during the last twenty-four hours. To what degree did those who relate with you perceive Christ in your words, attitudes, and actions? Pray about those traits of character that still need to be modeled by the Holy Spirit.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Wally

Re: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 6-Third Quarter 2014-Growing in Christ
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 04:22:41 PM »
Tuesday August 5

Abiding in Christ

A flourishing spiritual life is possible only by constantly depending on Christ. Jesus used the illustration of the vine to teach us how to accomplish this. "I am the vine, you are the branches," said Jesus (John 15:5, NKJV). In the Old Testament, Israel was depicted as a vine that the Lord had planted (Isa. 5:1-7; Ps. 80:8-9; Jer. 2:21), but Jesus presents Himself as "the true vine" (John 15:1) and urges His followers to be united with Him just as the branches abide in the vine.

What do these texts teach us about abiding continually in Christ? See John 15:4-10.

Joh 15:4  Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
Joh 15:5  I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
Joh 15:6  If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
Joh 15:7  If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
Joh 15:8  Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
Joh 15:9  As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
Joh 15:10  If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

A branch recently separated from the vine may appear alive for a while, but it will surely wither and die because it has been cut off from the source of life. By the same token, we can receive life only through our connection with Christ. But in order to be effective, this union must be maintained. Devotional time in the morning is essential, but our communion with the Lord has to continue throughout the day. Abiding in Christ means seeking Him constantly, asking for His guidance, praying for His strength to obey His will, and begging for His love to fill us.

One of the most deceitful traps is to try to live the Christian life independently from the Lord. "Without Me you can do nothing" (John 15:5, NKJV). Without Him we cannot resist even one temptation, overcome one sin, or develop a character in His likeness. The new spiritual life can grow only by means of an uninterrupted communion with Christ.

By reading the Word and meditating on it, we are nourished and strengthened. "The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life," said Jesus (John 6:63, NKJV). Treasured in our hearts and minds, these words will inspire our prayers in order to keep us in contact with the Lord. Though it’s easy to be distracted by "the cares of this world" (Mark 4:19, NKJV), we must make a concentrated effort to abide in Jesus.

What are the greatest obstacles that prevent you from abiding constantly in Christ? What steps can you take in order to remove or overcome them?

Wednesday August 6

Prayer

Along with studying the Bible, prayer is indispensable in order for us to abide in Christ and grow spiritually. Even Jesus Himself needed prayer to be united with the Father. He left us an example of a life of prayer. Prayer marked the crucial moments of His life. He prayed when He was baptized. He often prayed in solitary places before daylight or on the mountain after sunset. Sometimes He spent the whole night praying, such as when He chose the Twelve Apostles. He prayed to resurrect Lazarus. Not even the Cross deterred Him from praying.

If the "Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him" (Matt. 6:8, NKJV), why do we need to present Him our needs in prayer? Because through prayer, we learn to empty ourselves of ourselves and become more dependent upon Him.

"Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you" is Jesus’ promise (Matt. 7:7, NKJV). Although we do not need to impress Him by endless prayers of vain repetitions (Matt. 6:5-9), we need to persevere in prayer, clinging to His promises (John 15:7, 16:24) no matter what.

How can the different parts of the Lord’s Prayer help us to grow in Christ? See Matt. 6:9-13.

Mat 6:9  After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Mat 6:10  Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Mat 6:11  Give us this day our daily bread.
Mat 6:12  And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
Mat 6:13  And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

Jesus is our Mediator in Heaven. Therefore, He instructed us to address our prayers to the Father in His name. "Most assuredly, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in My name He will give you" (John 16:23, NKJV). Christ taught that there are certain conditions in order for this wonderful promise to be fulfilled. We need to believe that God can answer us (Matt. 21:22). An attitude of forgiveness toward our neighbor is required (Mark 11:25). Most important, our will should always be subordinated to the Father’s will (Matt. 6:10, Luke 22:42). And any "delay" in the answer should not discourage us; on the contrary, we need to always pray and not give up (Luke 18:1).

"Lord, teach us to pray" (Luke 11:1) is always a relevant request, no matter how long ago we accepted Christ as our Savior. In what aspect of your prayer life do you still need to grow by the grace of God?
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Wally

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 04:24:51 PM »
Thursday August 7

Die to Self Every Day

Paradoxically, it is only by dying that we may truly live. When baptized, we (ideally) died to our old nature and rose again to a new life. It would have been wonderful if the old man of sin had permanently died when we were buried under baptismal waters. Sooner or later, however, all of us have discovered that our past habits and tendencies are still alive and do strive to regain control of our lives. After our baptism, our old nature has to be put to death again and again. That is why Jesus associated the Christian life with a cross.

What does Luke 9:23-24 mean?

Luk 9:23  And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
Luk 9:24  For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.

Many think the cross they have to bear is a serious sickness, unfavorable circumstances in life, or a permanent disability. While any of these surely is heavy, the meaning of Jesus’ words goes further. To take up our cross means to deny ourselves daily. Not just once in a while but every day; not just a part of us but our entire being.

The Christian life is a cruciform life. "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me" (Gal. 2:20, NKJV). In the ancient world, the victims of crucifixion did not die immediately. Usually, they agonized for many hours, sometimes several days, while hanging on the cross. Our old nature, although crucified, fights to survive and get down from the cross.

It is not easy to deny ourselves. Our old nature lingers on; our old man doesn’t want to die. Moreover, we cannot nail ourselves to the cross. "No man can empty himself of self. We can only consent for Christ to accomplish the work. Then the language of the soul will be, Lord, take my heart; for I cannot give it. It is Thy property. Keep it pure, for I cannot keep it for Thee. Save me in spite of myself, my weak, unchristlike self. Mold me, fashion me, raise me into a pure and holy atmosphere, where the rich current of Thy love can flow through my soul. "

"It is not only at the beginning of the Christian life that this renunciation of self is to be made. At every advance step heavenward it is to be renewed. . . . Only by constant renunciation of self and dependence on Christ can we walk safely." — Ellen G. White, Christ’s Object Lessons, pp. 159, 160. There must be a daily surrendering to the Lord.

When was the last time you died to self? What does your answer say to you, especially in light of today’s texts?

Friday August 8

Further Study: Ellen G. White, "Consecration," pp. 43-48, in Steps to Christ; "Nicodemus," pp. 167-177, in The Desire of Ages.

"The warfare against self is the greatest battle that was ever fought. The yielding of self, surrendering all to the will of God, requires a struggle; but the soul must submit to God before it can be renewed in holiness." — Ellen G. White, Steps to Christ, p. 43.

"We cannot retain our own self and be filled with the fullness of God. We must be emptied of self. If heaven is gained by us at last, it will be only through the renunciation of self and in receiving the mind, the spirit, and the will of Christ Jesus." — Ellen G. White, In Heavenly Places, p. 155.

"When the Spirit of God takes possession of the heart, it transforms the life. Sinful thoughts are put away, evil deeds are renounced; love, humility, and peace take the place of anger, envy, and strife. Joy takes the place of sadness, and the countenance reflects the light of heaven. . . . The blessing comes when by faith the soul surrenders itself to God. Then that power which no human eye can see creates a new being in the image of God." — Ellen G. White, The Desire of Ages, p. 173.

Discussion Questions:

What is your own experience in what it means to abide in Christ? What happens when you connect with Jesus? What happens when you don’?

Who hasn’t struggled with the issue of prayers that are not answered, at least as we have prayed them? How do you maintain faith in God and in His promises in the face of requests that have not been answered as you wanted? What crucial things must we always keep in mind in such situations?

What is it about self, about the very nature of self, that we are called to deny it daily? Look at it this way: if you didn’t deny self, if you allowed self to dominate all that you thought or did, what kind of life would you live? Would it, in any way, resemble that of our Master? What does your answer tell you about yourself apart from Christ?

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 08:56:02 PM »
Sabbath Afternoon

Read for This Week’s Study: John 3:1-15; 2 Cor. 5:17; John 15:4-10; Matt. 6:9-13; Luke 9:23-24.

Memory Text: "Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." John 3:3.

Nicodemus felt drawn to Christ but dared not visit Him openly. He greeted Jesus politely, acknowledging Him as a teacher from God. The Master knew that behind this courteous greeting was a seeker of truth; therefore, wasting no time, He told Nicodemus that he did not need theoretical knowledge as much as he did spiritual regeneration, a new birth.

This concept was hard for Nicodemus to grasp. Because of his descent from Abraham, he was sure he had a place in God’s kingdom; plus, as a strict Pharisee, he surely deserved the favor of God, right? So, why did he need such a radical change?

Patiently, Jesus explained that spiritual transformation is a supernatural work produced by the Holy Spirit. Though we cannot see or understand how it happens, we can perceive the results. We call it conversion, a new life in Christ.

Though we should always remember how the Lord called us and converted us, our challenge is to steadfastly abide in Him daily so that He can transform us more and more into His image.

Conversion, "a radical change".  Do we agree, or do we not believe there is a radical change when one is converted? The lesson says we need to abide in Christ so He can transform us more and more, but sadly many do not understand that we need to be transformed daily or we do not maintain our conversion. We do not believe in once saved always saved, yet many believe in once saved, the radical transformation does not need to continue daily. We must have Christ in order to be converted. If we do not remain in Christ, then we do not have salvation. This is a radical thought for some. It was a radical thought for Nicodemus who thought he was rich and increased with goods, but was wrong.

Before we can grow in Christ, we must be reconverted daily. "I die daily" is the way Paul put it. 1 Cor. 15:31. If we fail to be reconverted, if we take our eyes off of Jesus, if Jesus is not abiding in our hearts, then we do not have His Spirit. If we do not have His Spirit we are none of His and cannot "grow in Christ". Romans 8:9.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 10:11:50 PM »
Sunday August 3

To Be Born Again

A zealous Christian confronted a politician and asked her, "Have you been born again?" Angry at what she deemed a personal question, the politician replied, "It worked the first time, thank you."

Maybe it did, but considering our fallen nature, our first birth isn’t enough, at least not for eternal life. For that, we must be "born again."

Read Jesus’ conversation with Nicodemus in John 3:1-15. How did Jesus explain what it meant to be born again?

No doubt Nicodemus, a teacher in Israel, knew the Old Testament Scriptures, which speak about the need for a "new heart" and God’s willingness to create it in us (Ps. 51:10, Ezek. 36:26). Jesus explained to Nicodemus this truth and how it can happen.

Yes, very pointedly. How does it happen? What did He tell Nicodemus to do?

The dialogue recorded by John ends with Jesus’ words. No answer from Nicodemus. He probably went home immersed in profound reflections. Quietly, the Holy Spirit worked in him, and three years later he was ready to openly become Jesus’ disciple.

He was a Laodicean. That is why Jesus was so strong in letting him know he was not converted. How would you act if someone told you that you are not converted? At first Nicodemus did not appreciate His words. The Laodicean message applies to the church in our day. As a church we believe we are rich and increased with goods, but it is not true. Jesus says we are blind and naked. Not all are unconverted? We must know our condition. If we are blind, then we need to know it. Jesus came to heal the sick.

The fact that it is necessary to be born again shows without a doubt that our previous birth is insufficient from a spiritual standpoint. The new birth must be a double one: of water and of the Spirit. In light of John the Baptist’s ministry, Nicodemus easily understood that to be born of water referred to baptism with water. What he also needed to know was that to be born of the Spirit is the renewing of the heart by the Holy Spirit.

There are similarities between physical and spiritual births. Both mark the beginning of a new life. Also, we produce neither birth ourselves; it’s done for us.

The conversation with Nicodemus revealed what we must do in order to experience the new birth. It is not done for us. A surrender comes when we have done something. What is it that we must do? Jesus told Nicodemus he needed to be converted...and...he told him what he must do in order to be born again. If we miss this, then we miss a lot.

But there is also an important difference between them: we were unable to choose if we wanted to be born physically; we can, however, choose to be born spiritually. Only those who freely decide to allow the Holy Spirit to generate a new spiritual self within them are born again. God respects our freedom and, although eager to transform us, He does not change us by force.

Think about the way in which the Lord produced your conversion. It does not matter if it was through dramatic circumstances or through a long and imperceptible process of transformation. How have you experienced the new birth?

The new birth is the end of a long protracted process of wooing by the Holy Spirit. We may not have been aware of this, but it surely does take place. Can you look back and see how God was drawing you prior to your conversion?  Many who have been baptized have been buried alive. They did not die to self. They are still in the wooing process. Is Christ calling to you? Have you been convicted of sin? Have you been brought to repentance by the love of God? Have you seen the love of God for you? If not, then get to know Jesus personally so that you love Him with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

What does this have to do with the conversation Jesus had with Nicodemus?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 10:24:46 PM »
Monday August 4

The New Life in Christ

Being born again is possible only through the work of the Holy Spirit. Jesus made use of the fact that the Greek word pneuma means both "Spirit" and "wind" in order to illustrate the process of conversion (John 3:8 ). The wind blows; none of us can start it, direct it, nor stop it. Its great power is beyond human control. We can only react to it, either resisting it or using its potential for our benefit.

Likewise, the Holy Spirit is constantly working upon the heart of every human being, drawing him or her to Christ. No one has control over its great saving and transforming power. We can resist it or yield to it. When we surrender ourselves to His convicting influence, the Holy Spirit produces a new life in us.

Is there any way to know if we have experienced the new birth? Yes. The Spirit works invisibly, but the results of His activity are visible. Those around us will know that Jesus created a new heart in us. The Spirit always produces an outward demonstration of the inward transformation He makes in us. As Jesus said, "by their fruits ye shall know them" (Matt. 7:20).

The new life in Christ is not a patched-up life with a few external reformations. It is not a modification or improvement of the old life but a complete transformation.

What do the following texts tell us about what the new birth will accomplish in us? Titus 3:5-7, 2 Cor. 5:17, Gal. 6:15.

Through the Holy Spirit, Christ implants in us new thoughts, feelings, and motives. He awakens our conscience, changes our mind, subdues every unholy desire, and fills us with the sweet peace of heaven. Though the change doesn’t happen instantly, over time we do become a new creature in Christ. We have to, because the original version, the one that came out of the womb, isn’t right with God.

If conversion does not recreate us and make us a partaker of the divine nature, then what does happen at conversion?  A new life in Christ without the fruits of His Spirit? No. You may know that you are converted when the fruits of the Spirit are in your life, and not one is missing. It is very sad to see the work of the Spirit undone by saying that there is no radical change at conversion. Why would this be the predominate teaching in professing Christianity?

Meditate on your life during the last twenty-four hours. To what degree did those who relate with you perceive Christ in your words, attitudes, and actions? Pray about those traits of character that still need to be modeled by the Holy Spirit.

If you know that you are not walking in the light and in His Spirit, then the Spirit is not in you. If the Spirit is not in you, then you are none of His. Is this a Biblical doctrine?

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 05:01:18 PM »
Monday August 4

The New Life in Christ ...

No it wasn't, but the NEW creature is right with God at the "new birth" and that does not happen over time. The fruit of the Spirit grows as evidence of the new birth. They are all present as a result of being filled with the Spirit at the new birth. The Spirit of prophecy goes so far as to say "not one is missing." We are a new creature at the new birth. I beg to differ with the author although I appreciate much of what he is saying in these lessons.

Let's look at the texts and add a few more to bring home the point of newness of life at the new birth and growth from glory to glory.

Titus 3:5  Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
Tit 3:6  Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;
Tit 3:7  That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

2Corinthians 5:17  Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Let's pause a moment at this text: If the Bible says he is a new creature and old things are passed away and all things become new, why does it take time to become a new creature according to the author of the lesson? The Bible does not contradict itself but it appears the author has not thought this through. Either that or I am all wet on this subject and need to be corrected.

Galatians 6:15  For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.

New is the operative word. Maybe this will help from Steps to Christ:

"If any man be in Christ, he is a new creature:
old things are passed away; behold all things are
become new." 2Co_5:17.

A New Life in Christ Shows

A person may not be able to tell the exact time or place, or trace all the chain of circumstances in the process of conversion; but this does not prove him to be unconverted. Christ said to Nicodemus, "The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is everyone that is born of the Spirit." Joh_3:8.

Like the wind, which is invisible, yet the effects of which are plainly seen and felt, is the Spirit of God in its work upon the human heart. That regenerating power, which no human eye can see, begets a new life in the soul; it creates a new being in the image of God. While the work of the Spirit is silent and imperceptible, its effects are manifest. If the heart has been renewed by the Spirit of God, the life will bear witness to the fact. While we cannot do anything to change our hearts or to bring ourselves into harmony with God; while we must not trust at all to ourselves or our good works, our lives will reveal whether the grace of God is dwelling within us. A change will be seen in the character, the habits, the pursuits. The contrast will be clear and decided between what they have been and what they are. The character is revealed, not by occasional good deeds and occasional misdeeds, but by the tendency of the habitual words and acts.

It is true that there may be an outward correctness of deportment without the renewing power of Christ. The love of influence and the desire for the esteem of others may produce a well-ordered life. Self-respect may lead us to avoid the appearance of evil. A selfish heart may perform generous actions. By what means, then, shall we determine whose side we are on?

Who has the heart? With whom are our thoughts? Of whom do we love to converse? Who has our warmest affections and our best energies? If we are Christ's, our thoughts are with Him, and our sweetest thoughts are of Him. All we have and are is consecrated to Him. We long to bear His image, breathe His spirit, do His will, and please Him in all things.

Those who become new creatures in Christ Jesus will bring forth the fruits of the Spirit, "love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance." Gal_5:22-23. They will no longer fashion themselves according to the former lusts, but by the faith of the Son of God they will follow in His steps, reflect His character, and purify themselves even as He is pure. The things they once hated they now love, and the things they once loved they hate. The proud and self-assertive become meek and lowly in heart. The vain and supercilious become serious and unobtrusive. The drunken become sober, and the profligate pure. The vain customs and fashions of the world are laid aside. Christians will seek not the "outward adorning," but "the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit." 1Pe_3:3-4.

Rom_6:4  Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Grace on the plan of multiplication:

In baptism we are given to the Lord as a vessel to be used. Baptism is a most solemn renunciation of the world. Self is by profession dead to a life of sin. The waters cover the candidate, and in the presence of the whole heavenly universe the mutual pledge is made. In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, man is laid in his watery grave, buried with Christ in baptism, and raised from the water to live the new life of loyalty to God. The three great powers in heaven are witnesses; they are invisible but present.  {6BC 1074.8}

In the first chapter of Second Peter is presented the progressive work in the Christian life. The whole chapter is a lesson of deep importance. If man, in acquiring the Christian graces, works on the plan of addition, God has pledged Himself to work in his behalf upon the plan of multiplication. "Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord." The work is laid out before every soul that has acknowledged his faith in Jesus Christ by baptism, and has become a receiver of the pledge from the three persons--the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit (MS 57, 1900).  {6BC 1074.9}

This growth "is the work of a lifetime," sanctification, beginning at the time of the new birth. 2Co 3:18  But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.   

1Co 6:9  Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
1Co 6:10  Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
1Co 6:11  And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

"Such were some of you." Yes, they were but not after the new birth when they were not only washed but justified and sanctified in the name of the Lord Jesus and His Spirit. They were utterly filthy but the former things were put away and a brand new life in Christ began. They were washed clean and were made new creatures, not just an improvement of the old man (Romans). No, All was made new.

I could go on with more thoughts but this is already very long. I will close with this:

Rom_6:6  Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.    Because, we are a new creature, possessing the fruit of the Spirit, going forth to produce more fruit and over a lifetime of steady progressive growth in Him, we are transformed from glory unto glory. We do not have to wait to be a new creature. We are caused to be one by the new birth. The new creature grows in grace thereafter, perfect at each stage. That is the work of a lifetime, nay an eternity. We will continue to grow after heaven is our home.

God is good. 
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 10:31:38 PM »
Tuesday August 5
Abiding in Christ

A flourishing spiritual life is possible only by constantly depending on Christ. Jesus used the illustration of the vine to teach us how to accomplish this. "I am the vine, ye are the branches," said Jesus (John 15:5). In the Old Testament, Israel was depicted as a vine that the Lord had planted (Isa. 5:1-7; Ps. 80:8-9; Jer. 2:21), but Jesus presents Himself as "the true vine" (John 15:1) and urges His followers to be united with Him just as the branches abide in the vine.

What do these texts teach us about abiding continually in Christ? See John 15:4-10.

Joh 15:4  Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
Joh 15:5  I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
Joh 15:6  If a man abide not in me, he is c
ast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
Joh 15:7  If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
Joh 15:8  Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
Joh 15:9  As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
Joh 15:10  If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

A branch recently separated from the vine may appear alive for a while, but it will surely wither and die because it has been cut off from the source of life. By the same token, we can receive life only through our connection with Christ. But in order to be effective, this union must be maintained. Devotional time in the morning is essential, but our communion with the Lord has to continue throughout the day. Abiding in Christ means seeking Him constantly, asking for His guidance, praying for His strength to obey His will, and begging for His love to fill us.

One of the most deceitful traps is to try to live the Christian life independently from the Lord. "Without Me ye can do nothing" (John 15:5). Without Him we cannot resist even one temptation, overcome one sin, or develop a character in His likeness. The new spiritual life can grow only by means of an uninterrupted communion with Christ.

Amen! If we do not have Christ, we do not have life. If we have Christ, we not only have life, but we have the fruits of His Spirit, not one is missing. Sin reveals a separation from Christ.

By reading the Word and meditating on it, we are nourished and strengthened. "The words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life," said Jesus (John 6:63). Treasured in our hearts and minds, these words will inspire our prayers in order to keep us in contact with the Lord. Though it’s easy to be distracted by "the cares of this world" (Mark 4:19), we must make a concentrated effort to abide in Jesus.

Amen! We maintain our justification, conversion, in the same manner  we were converted. So, we must go back to the words of Jesus to Nicodemus that night in  the Garden. We are still waiting for an answer as to what Jesus told Nicodemus he must do in order to be saved (converted). The underlying principle is found in 2 Corintians chapter 3.

What are the greatest obstacles that prevent you from abiding constantly in Christ? What steps can you take in order to remove or overcome them?

A lack of understanding what Jesus told Nicodemus is the greatest cause for most.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 10:53:34 PM »
Wednesday August 6

Prayer

Along with studying the Bible, prayer is indispensable in order for us to abide in Christ and grow spiritually. Even Jesus Himself needed prayer to be united with the Father. He left us an example of a life of prayer. Prayer marked the crucial moments of His life. He prayed when He was baptized. He often prayed in solitary places before daylight or on the mountain after sunset. Sometimes He spent the whole night praying, such as when He chose the Twelve Apostles. He prayed to resurrect Lazarus. Not even the Cross deterred Him from praying.

If the "Father knoweth the things you have need of before you ask Him" (Matt. 6:8 ), why do we need to present Him our needs in prayer? Because through prayer, we learn to empty ourselves of ourselves and become more dependent upon Him.

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." is Jesus’ promise (Matt. 7:7). Although we do not need to impress Him by endless prayers of vain repetitions (Matt. 6:5-9), we need to persevere in prayer, clinging to His promises (John 15:7, 16:24) no matter what.

How can the different parts of the Lord’s Prayer help us to grow in Christ? See Matt. 6:9-13.

Mat 6:9  After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Mat 6:10  Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Mat 6:11  Give us this day our daily bread.
Mat 6:12  And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
Mat 6:13  And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

Jesus is our Mediator in Heaven. Therefore, He instructed us to address our prayers to the Father in His name. "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you." (John 16:23). Christ taught that there are certain conditions in order for this wonderful promise to be fulfilled. We need to believe that God can answer us (Matt. 21:22). An attitude of forgiveness toward our neighbor is required (Mark 11:25). Most important, our will should always be subordinated to the Father’s will (Matt. 6:10, Luke 22:42). And any "delay" in the answer should not discourage us; on the contrary, we need to always pray and not give up (Luke 18:1).

"Lord, teach us to pray" (Luke 11:1) is always a relevant request, no matter how long ago we accepted Christ as our Savior. In what aspect of your prayer life do you still need to grow by the grace of God?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 11:04:24 PM »
Thursday August 7

Die to Self Every Day

Paradoxically, it is only by dying that we may truly live. When baptized, we (ideally) died to our old nature and rose again to a new life. 

There is only one reason why the professor of Christ did not die to self, if he did not. It is because the pastor buried him alive. This is why there are so many perplexities in the church. Many have been buried
alive. The great deception is that one is converted when he has not been created a new creature.

It would have been wonderful if the old man of sin had permanently died when we were buried under baptismal waters. Sooner or later, however, all of us have discovered that our past habits and tendencies are still alive and do strive to regain control of our lives. After our baptism, our old nature has to be put to death again and again. That is why Jesus associated the Christian life with a cross.

What does Luke 9:23-24 mean?

Luk 9:23  And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
Luk 9:24  For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.

Many think the cross they have to bear is a serious sickness, unfavorable circumstances in life, or a permanent disability. While any of these surely is heavy, the meaning of Jesus’ words goes further. To take up our cross means to deny ourselves daily. Not just once in a while but every day; not just a part of us but our entire being.

The Christian life is a cruciform life. "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me" (Gal. 2:20, NKJV). In the ancient world, the victims of crucifixion did not die immediately. Usually, they agonized for many hours, sometimes several days, while hanging on the cross. Our old nature, although crucified, fights to survive and get down from the cross.

It is not easy to deny ourselves. Our old nature lingers on; our old man doesn’t want to die. Moreover, we cannot nail ourselves to the cross. "No man can empty himself of self. We can only consent for Christ to accomplish the work. Then the language of the soul will be, Lord, take my heart; for I cannot give it. It is Thy property. Keep it pure, for I cannot keep it for Thee. Save me in spite of myself, my weak, unchristlike self. Mold me, fashion me, raise me into a pure and holy atmosphere, where the rich current of Thy love can flow through my soul. "

"It is not only at the beginning of the Christian life that this renunciation of self is to be made. At every advance step heavenward it is to be renewed. . . . Only by constant renunciation of self and dependence on Christ can we walk safely." — Ellen G. White, Christ’s Object Lessons, pp. 159, 160.
There must be a daily surrendering to the Lord.

When was the last time you died to self? What does your answer say to you, especially in light of today’s texts?

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 05:33:16 AM »
Thursday August 7

Die to Self Every Day

Paradoxically, it is only by dying that we may truly live. When baptized, we (ideally) died to our old nature and rose again to a new life. 

There is only one reason why the professor of Christ did not die to self, if he did not. It is because the pastor buried him alive. This is why there are so many perplexities in the church. Many have been buried alive. The great deception is that one is converted when he has not been created a new creature.

Amen. As the outward standards of the church diminish through the influence of the world and those practices brought in from fallen churches, the seriousness of Biblical requirements is largely lost sight of. It is a horrifying thought but we know it is true because we witness it all too often.

The good news is that the sincere of heart seeing his/her need of Christ will persist through searching the Scriptures because the Holy Spirit is leading them. They will look around and seek out others of like mind and press close to them in Christian fellowship because their desire to reconcile with the Father through Jesus is so strong. Through the Spirit and the help of mature converted Christians, the newly converted will grow despite the perplexities associated within the church. Satan's most pointed hatred is aimed directly at Christ's church on earth. Surface feeling and temporary emotion typically associated with those buried alive in baptism will not sustain them in the new life.       

It would have been wonderful if the old man of sin had permanently died when we were buried under baptismal waters. Sooner or later, however, all of us have discovered that our past habits and tendencies are still alive and do strive to regain control of our lives. After our baptism, our old nature has to be put to death again and again. That is why Jesus associated the Christian life with a cross.

That is why it is imperative that we die daily. It is a matter of salvation.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 06:32:06 AM »
Amen, Mimi. Our only hope is to cling to Jesus continually. When Peter was focused on Jesus, he could walk on water. The moment he took his eyes off of Jesus he fell. This is the gospel of grace. We must be born of the Spirit, and we must continually abide in Christ, otherwise we have no power to resist the smallest temptation. Many do not understand their continual need of Christ, they think they can be Christians without abiding in Christ and He in them. They do not believe that bad fruit reveals a bad tree. But, for all who continue in the fight, He will finish the work He has begun.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 06:59:15 AM »
Friday August 8

Further Study: Ellen G. White, "Consecration," pp. 43-48, in Steps to Christ; "Nicodemus," pp. 167-177, in The Desire of Ages.

"The warfare against self is the greatest battle that was ever fought. The yielding of self, surrendering all to the will of God, requires a struggle; but the soul must submit to God before it can be renewed in holiness." — Ellen G. White, Steps to Christ, p. 43.

"Renewed in holiness" when? After probation closes? Just the 144,000? No!  At conversion, and that is maintained as long as the Christian abides in Christ. How can that be? Because it is Christ within. It is His Spirit that gives power. It is only when we are partakers of His divine nature that we are renewed in "holiness". They are the fruits of "His Spirit" that are seen in the life. That is holiness. "If we have not His Spirit,we are none of His." Romans 8:9.

"We cannot retain our own self and be filled with the fullness of God. We must be emptied of self."

If self is alive, we do not possess eternal life. We must be emptied of self to have salvation. That happens at conversion, but that conversion must be maintained to retain salvation (justification). How did the Apostle Paul look at sin and his ability to keep the flesh from taking control? "But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway." 1 Cor. 9:27. He understood that it was when he was a partaker of the divine nature that he had power to keep his body under. He was no longer a Pharisee, thinking he could do it without an abiding Christ.

"If heaven is gained by us at last, it will be only through the renunciation of self and in receiving the mind, the spirit, and the will of Christ Jesus." — Ellen G. White, In Heavenly Places, p. 155.

Amen!!

"When the Spirit of God takes possession of the heart, it transforms the life. Sinful thoughts are put away, evil deeds are renounced; love, humility, and peace take the place of anger, envy, and strife. Joy takes the place of sadness, and the countenance reflects the light of heaven. . . . The blessing comes when by faith the soul surrenders itself to God. Then that power which no human eye can see creates a new being in the image of God." — Ellen G. White, The Desire of Ages, p. 173.

Compare that truth to this from Monday's lesson: "Though the change doesn’t happen instantly, over time we do become a new creature in Christ."  When do we become a new creature? When we are in Christ, at conversion. When the Spirit of God enters the heart, we manifest holiness because it is Christ, not I. It is His Spirit that gives power, it is His nature seen in the repentant sinner. Yes, we need Jesus all the time if we are to retain our justification and sanctification. When Peter fell in the water, it revealed his separation from Christ. When we sin a known sin, it reveals our separation from Christ. Where is Jesus at that point? 

Discussion Questions:

What is your own experience in what it means to abide in Christ? What happens when you connect with Jesus? What happens when you don’?

In Christ, He is in me, and all of the power of God is given to me to do that which God asks of me. When I do not abide in Christ, I have no power to do any good thing. Anything that appears good is only outward, not from the heart. If you believe that you can do any good thing when not abiding in Christ, you are a Pharisee. That may come as a shock, but it is true. Outward obedience is not good enough. We must be born again and receive a new heart and become partakers of His divine nature.

Who hasn’t struggled with the issue of prayers that are not answered, at least as we have prayed them? How do you maintain faith in God and in His promises in the face of requests that have not been answered as you wanted? What crucial things must we always keep in mind in such situations?

The answer is always the same. If we want to believe what God has said, then we need to be converted. His promises are almost always conditional. What conditions are there for most answered prayer? And when our prayers are not answered in the manner we expect, and Christ is within, why do we still have peace?

What is it about self, about the very nature of self, that we are called to deny it daily?

Self is evil. It does only evil.

Look at it this way: if you didn’t deny self, if you allowed self to dominate all that you thought or did, what kind of life would you live? Would it, in any way, resemble that of our Master? What does your answer tell you about yourself apart from Christ?

There is a very real and dangerous theology that does not believe that self is evil. Do Seventh-day Adventists believe such a theology?

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 09:06:50 AM »
Tuesday August 5
Abiding in Christ

A flourishing spiritual life is possible only by constantly depending on Christ. Jesus used the illustration of the vine to teach us how to accomplish this. "I am the vine, ye are the branches," said Jesus (John 15:5). In the Old Testament, Israel was depicted as a vine that the Lord had planted (Isa. 5:1-7; Ps. 80:8-9; Jer. 2:21), but Jesus presents Himself as "the true vine" (John 15:1) and urges His followers to be united with Him just as the branches abide in the vine.

As we constantly, continually abide in Christ, there is no standstill in the Christian life:

2Pe 1:1  Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:
2Pe 1:2  Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
2Pe 1:3  According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
2Pe 1:4  Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
2Pe 1:5  And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
2Pe 1:6  And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
2Pe 1:7  And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
2Pe 1:8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
2Pe 1:9  But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
2Pe 1:10  Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
2Pe 1:11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
2Pe 1:12  Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though ye know them, and be established in the present truth.

2Pe_1:1-3. No Standstill in the Christian Life.--[2Pe_1:1-3 quoted.] What a grand theme this is for contemplation--the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ. Contemplating Christ and His righteousness leaves no room for self-righteousness, for the glorifying of self. In this chapter there is no standstill. There is continual advancement in every stage of the knowledge of Christ (Letter 43, 1895).  {7BC 942.10}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 09:36:32 PM »
Amen!  The promise is true, but conditional. We will not fall, if we will continue to abide in Christ.

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2014, 08:34:17 AM »
Before we can grow in Christ, we must be reconverted daily. "I die daily" is the way Paul put it. 1 Cor. 15:31. If we fail to be reconverted, if we take our eyes off of Jesus, if Jesus is not abiding in our hearts, then we do not have His Spirit. If we do not have His Spirit we are none of His and cannot "grow in Christ". Romans 8:9.

At the end of each day, the Christian Ephesians 3:19 ...filled with all the fulness of God. doesn't "default" to an unconverted state:
I don't believe the Spirit of God, speaking through Paul when he penned the words, "I die daily", would have us believe that the Christian sins knowingly, each and every day, and must "repent from dead works".

I like to think of the idea of dying daily as choosing to leave the LIGHT on; (speaking of Christ abiding in my soul):

John 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shineth in darkness...

As recorded in Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly... -and, as it is written in Philippians 2:5 Let this mind BE in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God...8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

The idea of being reconverted daily seems to me, at first glance, to mean that one has either fallen away from Christ's abiding in the soul temple, or hasn't really been converted in the first place.

The term "reconverted daily", seems to contradict:
2 Corinthians 4:10 ALWAYS bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, THAT the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.

God's Spirit, expressed in words through the Bible writer, poses the thought in Hebrews 12:4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin. What is this supposed to look like in the daily walk of a Christian; resisting "unto blood, striving against sin."? I believe it is the imparted life of Christ in the soul, the abiding presence of the Godhead, bodily. Humanity transfigured, as it were, with His presence.

Divinity and humanity were mysteriously combined, and man and God became one. It is in this union that we find the hope of our fallen race (The Signs of the Times, July 30, 1896).

Colossians 1:
26 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:
27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

Christ dwelling in me, constantly, is my only hope of glory. The Spirit moved the writer to say in verse 3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.

Dying with Jesus, by death reckoned mine;
Living with Jesus, a new life divine;
Looking to Jesus till glory doth shine,
Moment by moment, O Lord, I am Thine.

by Daniel W. Whittle

Breathe on me, breath of God,
Fill me with life anew,
That I may love what Thou dost love,
And do what Thou wouldst do.

Until my heart is pure,
Until with Thee I will one will,
To do and to endure.

Blend all my soul with Thine,
Until this earthly part of me
Glows with Thy fire divine.

So shall I never die,
But live with Thee the perfect life
Of Thine eternity.

by Edwin Hatch

Honestly, to me the words "if we take our eyes off of Jesus, if Jesus is not abiding in our hearts, then we do not have His Spirit" expresses the experience of one who has yet to know Him as it is their privilege to know Him.

But to pray in Christ’s name means much. It means that we are to accept His character, manifest His spirit, and work His works. The Saviour’s promise is given on condition. “If ye love me,” He says, “keep my commandments.” He saves men, not in sin, but from sin; and those who love Him will show their love by obedience.  Lift Him Up, p. 178.4

We who live during these closing scenes of this world's history must comprehend, finally, that:

...The unconditional pardon of sin never has been, and never will be....  God's Amazing Grace, p. 73.2

2 Corinthians 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: When we sin knowingly, we turn away from godly sorrow for sin, and deceive ourselves that we can find life in that which will unerringly kill us. James 1:15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

2 Peter 1:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

All true obedience comes from the heart. It was heart work with Christ. And if we consent, He will so identify Himself with our thoughts and aims, so blend our hearts and minds into conformity to His will, that when obeying Him we shall be but carrying out our own impulses. The will, refined and sanctified, will find its highest delight in doing His service. When we know God as it is our privilege to know Him, our life will be a life of continual obedience. Through an appreciation of the character of Christ, through communion with God, sin will become hateful to us.  Lift Him Up, p. 178.5

Hebrews 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God...

The word "leave" as expressed in item "H" of: Lexicon :: Strong's G863 - aphiēmi
"to leave so that what is left may remain, leave remaining".

Every individual, by his own act, either puts Christ from him by refusing to cherish His spirit and follow His example, or he enters into a personal union with Christ by self-renunciation, faith, and obedience. We must, each for himself, choose Christ, because He has first chosen us. This union with Christ is to be formed by those who are naturally at enmity with Him. It is a relation of utter dependence, to be entered into by a proud heart. This is close work, and many who profess to be followers of Christ know nothing of it. They nominally accept the Saviour, but not as the sole ruler of their hearts....  God's Amazing Grace, p. 321.3

To renounce their own will, perhaps their chosen object of affection or pursuit, requires an effort, at which many hesitate and falter and turn back. Yet this battle must be fought by every heart that is truly converted. We must war against temptations without and within. We must gain the victory over self, crucify the affections and lusts; and then begins the union of the soul with Christ.... After this union is formed, it can be preserved only by continual, earnest, painstaking effort. Christ exercises His power to preserve and guard this sacred tie, and the dependent, helpless sinner must act his part with untiring energy, or Satan by his cruel, cunning power will separate him from Christ....  God's Amazing Grace, p. 321.4

...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2014, 12:10:42 PM »
 :) I was thoroughly rebuked in Sabbath School for expressing these thoughts.

They agreed with the author of the lesson:

Though the change doesn’t happen instantly, over time we do become a new creature in Christ.

I referred them to Steps to Christ if the Bible was unclear to them.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2014, 12:25:05 PM »

At the end of each day, the Christian Ephesians 3:19 ...filled with all the fulness of God. doesn't "default" to an unconverted state:
I don't believe the Spirit of God, speaking through Paul when he penned the words, "I die daily", would have us believe that the Christian sins knowingly, each and every day, and must "repent from dead works".

I like to think of the idea of dying daily as choosing to leave the LIGHT on; (speaking of Christ abiding in my soul):

John 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shineth in darkness...

As recorded in Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly... -and, as it is written in Philippians 2:5 Let this mind BE in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God...8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

The idea of being reconverted daily seems to me, at first glance, to mean that one has either fallen away from Christ's abiding in the soul temple, or hasn't really been converted in the first place.

Yes, I suppose some could take it that way, but that is not the intent. "I die daily" is instructing us that we need to be converted daily. Does that help?

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2014, 12:37:30 PM »
As far as becoming a new person - is it through us - our power / or Christ and His power that we submit to and receive through faith in His performing His word ? 

If it through Christ and His power - Is He able to do that instantly ?   

Are we able to do it through our power at all ?

Faith in Christ, Not the Robe.--As He was passing, she [the infirm woman] reached forward and succeeded in barely touching the border of His garment. That moment  she knew that she was healed. Her faith was centered, not in the robe, but in Him who wore the robe. In that one touch was concentrated the faith of her life, and instantly  her pain and feebleness disappeared. Instantly  she felt the thrill as of an electric current passing through every fiber of her being. There came over her a sensation of perfect health. "Straightway  . . . she felt in her body that she was healed of that plague" (Mark 5:29).--Lt 111, 1904.  {2MCP 539.1} 
     Faith Is Not in Things.--There was no healing power in the garment. It was faith in the Person who wore the garment which restored her to health.  --MS 105, 1901.  {2MCP 539.2} 
     Faith Discriminates.–Faith is the medium through which truth or error finds a lodging place in the mind. It is by the same act of mind that truth or error is received, but it makes a decided difference whether we believe the Word of God or the sayings of men. When Christ revealed Himself to Paul and he was convinced that he was persecuting Jesus in the person of His saints, he accepted the truth as it is in Jesus. A transforming power was manifested on mind and character, and he became a new man in Christ Jesus  . He received the truth so fully that neither earth nor hell could shake his faith.--ST, June 5, 1893. (1SM 346.)  {2MCP 539.3} 

Jesus said to this wily foe, "Get thee hence, Satan; for it is written, thou, shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve." Satan had asked Christ to give him evidence that he was the Son of God, and he had in this instance the proof he had asked. At the divine command of Christ he was compelled to obey. He was repulsed and silenced. He had no power to enable him to withstand the peremptory dismissal. He was compelled without another word to instantly desist and to leave the world's Redeemer.  {RH, September 1, 1874 par. 12} 

Nothing less than a practical acceptance and application of divine truth opens the kingdom of God to man. Only a pure and lowly heart, obedient and loving, firm in the faith and service of the Most High, can enter there. Jesus also declares that as "Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have eternal life." The serpent in the wilderness was lifted up on a pole before the people, that all who had been stung unto death by the fiery serpent, might look upon this brazen serpent,
a symbol of Christ, and be instantly healed.
But they must look in faith, or it would be of no avail. Just so must men look upon the Son of man as their Saviour unto eternal life. Man had separated himself from God by sin. Christ brought his divinity to earth, veiled by humanity, in order to rescue man from his lost condition. Human nature is vile, and man's character must be changed before it can harmonize with the pure and holy in God's immortal kingdom. This transformation is the new birth. {ST, November 15, 1883 par. 15} 
     If man by faith takes hold of the divine love of God, he becomes a new creature through Christ Jesus. The world is overcome, human nature is subdued, and Satan is vanquished. In this important sermon to Nicodemus, Jesus unfolded before this noble Pharisee the whole plan of salvation, and his mission to the world. In none of his subsequent discourses did the Saviour explain so thoroughly, step by step, the work necessary to be done in the human heart, if it would inherit the kingdom of Heaven. He traced man's salvation directly to the love of the Father, which led him to give his Son unto death that man might be saved.
                                                                -
  {ST, November 15, 1883 par. 16}   

Here is a more detailed explanation of becoming a new creature in Christ.  Does a process have to happen before a human conscience decides to yield to Christ and let Him in and reign ?   

Yes it does, but once it does - how long before Christ recreates the person as new creature in Himself according to this defining description of what it means to be a new creature in Christ ?   

If man by faith takes hold of the divine love of God, he becomes a new creature through Christ Jesus.
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2014, 12:48:39 PM »
Amen, Edward. I saw those quotes this week and no, there is nothing delayed about it.