Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Bread of Life / Re: A Thought For Today
« Last post by Richard Myers on Today at 03:42:47 PM »
The World Will Not Appreciate Truth

"If the world hate you, ye know that it hated Me before it hated you. If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." John 15:18,19 

William Miller possessed strong mental powers, disciplined by thought and study; and he added to these the wisdom of Heaven, by connecting himself with the Source of wisdom. He was a man of sterling worth, who could not but command respect and esteem wherever integrity of character and moral excellence were valued. Uniting true kindness of heart with Christian humility and the power of self-control, he was attentive and affable to all, ready to listen to the opinions of others, and to weigh their arguments. Without passion or excitement, he tested all theories and doctrines by the Word of God; and his sound reasoning, and thorough knowledge of the Scriptures, enabled him to refute error and expose falsehood.

Yet he did not prosecute his work without bitter opposition. As with earlier reformers, the truths which he presented were not received with favor by popular religious teachers. As these could not maintain their position by the Scriptures, they were driven to resort to the sayings and doctrines of men, to the traditions of the Fathers. But the Word of God was the only testimony accepted by the preachers of the Advent truth. “The Bible, and the Bible only,” was their watchword. The lack of Scripture argument on the part of their opponents was supplied by ridicule and scoffing. Time, means, and talents were employed in maligning those whose only offense was that they looked with joy for the return of their Lord, and were striving to live holy lives, and to exhort others to prepare for his appearing.

Earnest were the efforts put forth to draw away the minds of the people from the subject of the second advent. It was made to appear a sin, something of which men should be ashamed, to study the prophecies which relate to the coming of Christ and the end of the world. Thus the popular ministry undermined faith in the Word of God. Their teaching made men infidels, and many took license to walk after their own ungodly lusts. Then the authors of the evil charged it all upon Adventists.

While drawing crowded houses of intelligent and attentive hearers, Miller’s name was seldom mentioned by the religious press except by way of ridicule or denunciation. The careless and ungodly, emboldened by the position of religious teachers, resorted to epithets, to base and blasphemous witticisms, in their efforts to heap contumely upon him and his work. The gray-headed man who had left a comfortable home to travel at his own expense from city to city, from town to town, toiling unceasingly to bear to the world the solemn warning of the Judgment near, was sneeringly denounced as a fanatic, a liar, a speculating knave.

So it is today, so it will be unto the end. 

Amen, Brother Glen. When we see what Satan did to Christ on the cross, we abhor it. When we realize it was my sin that caused Jesus to be put on the cross, then I sorrow for my part in His suffering. Satan is evil and he has caused so much misery in heaven and in the Earth. But, now I must see my part in it. My sins have hurt the One I love. It by beholding the stripes I caused Him to bear that I sorrow. But, I rejoice in knowing He has changed me and given me the opportunity to testify to His Goodness and grace in suffering and dying for me while I was at war with Him. Such unmerited love!!
Church News / ISIS Kills SDAs in Pakistan
« Last post by Richard Myers on Today at 11:47:12 AM »

On Sunday evening, April 15, suspected terrorists opened fire in front of the Quetta Seventh-day Adventist Church in Pakistan, killing two and injuring eight. One of those killed was the 18-year old son of an Adventist church member. The leaders of the major political parties have condemned this brutal attack, for which the Islamic State (ISIS) has now claimed responsibility.

As Seventh-day Adventists, we are very saddened by this senseless attack. The Seventh-day Adventist church has over 20 million members worldwide with 12,000 of them in Pakistan.  We condemn violence in all its forms. Instead, we seek to share compassion and peace with our neighbors and those in need through our community programs and assistance.

During this difficult time, we are humbled by the care and support of our Christian and Muslim friends. We ask for prayers and support for the families of those who have lost their loved ones as we mourn this tragedy and look forward to the coming of God. Together, may we seek God’s compassion and peace so that violence and hatred will be overcome.

Quetta is located north of Karachi and west of Lahore, near the Afghanistan border.

Source: Adventist News Network
Godly sorrow I believe to be sorrow for what my sins have done to God. It is the result of seeing God's grace, His undeserved love for me while I was yet sinning. The grace of God works in me to cause me to be sorry for my sins that have injured Him so very much.

I do agree with you, Richard, regarding your understanding of godly sorrow.

I believe also, that this godly sorrow, perhaps in a different sense, was and is initiated by that which God the Father and His Son felt in Their great sorrow at the alienation and attempted dissolution of Gods government at the anarchy proceeding from the disloyalty of Lucifer, in heaven. The grace of God, through the agency of the Holy Spirit, germinates that same godly sorrow for sin within those who "feel" after God, whose hearts or minds are stirred. and that hatred for/of sin instilled, by the grace of the Spirit of God.

Monday •  April 23

The Love of Christ

Sin separated the human race from God; a yawning chasm opened between them, and unless that chasm closed, humanity was doomed to eternal destruction. The gulf was deep and dangerous. It took something utterly incredible to solve the problem of sin and to reunite sinful humanity with a righteous and holy God. It took One eternal with God Himself, One as divine as God Himself, to become a human being and, in that humanity, offer Himself as a sacrifice for our sins.

Amen! While humanity has opportunity now to be reconciled with God, many choose to remain separated from Him. Where is Jesus when we refuse to submit fully to Him? He stands at the door of the heart pleading to come in.

Read John 1:1-3, 14 and Philippians 2:5-8.

1:1   In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 
 1:2   The same was in the beginning with God. 
 1:3   All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 
 1:14   And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. 

2:5   Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 
 2:6   Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 
 2:7   But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 
 2:8   And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. 

What do they teach us about who Jesus is?

Christ was eternal and not dependent upon anyone or anything for His existence. He was God — not the mere outward appearance of God but God Himself. His essential nature was divine and eternal. Jesus retained that divinity but became a human being in order to keep the law in human flesh and to die as a Substitute for all those who have broken the law, which is all of us (Rom. 3:23) .

Amen. This is a mystery. Christ did not set aside His divinity. He was still God. He did not use His divine power to overcome temptation, but relied upon His Father's love as we are to rely upon His love and grace. Could He overcome more than we? Can we carry our own sins? He carried the sins of the whole world. He was not just like us. Yet, He is our example of overcoming all that comes to us. He has promised He will not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can bear IF we will abide in Him and allow Him to have the whole heart.

We will have to meet supernatural wickedness, but we are assured of supernatural power. The grace of God allowed into the heart, brings omnipotent power,

Christ became human, without any advantage over other humans. He kept God’s law, not through His internal divine power but by relying upon the same external divine power available to any other human.

Jesus was fully God and fully human. This means that the One who upholds “all things by the word of his power” (Heb. 1:3) was the same One who was found as a “babe lying in a manger” (Luke 2:16). This means that the One who “He is before all things, and by Him all things consist,” (Col. 1:17) is the same One who, as a human child, “increased in wisdom and stature” (Luke 2:52). This means that the One without whom “nothing was made that was made” (John 1:3) was the same One who was murdered “and hanged on a tree” (Acts 5:30).

If all this reveals to us Christ’s love for us, and Christ’s love for us is but a manifestation of the Father’s love for us, then no wonder we have so many reasons to rejoice and be thankful!

Amen! This does reveal God's love and grace for us while we were yet sinners!

Read Romans 8:38, 39.

8:38   For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, 
 8:39   Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. 

How does what we read in the study today give us powerful reasons to trust in what Paul says to us here?

Paul was persuaded, yet he understood that he must remain persuaded very day, lest he be a "castaway" (1 Cor. 9:27).  Do we understand we must come to believe what Paul did in order to not be separated from Christ? Do we understand we must receive grace daily in order to remain connected to Christ, that His mind might remain in us? Do we understand as did Paul that if we have not His Spirit we are none of His (Romans 8:9)? The path to heaven is narrow and steep. We are well able to attain heaven if we will be reconciled with God and then maintain that reconciliation. If we sin, we must turn back to Jesus with the whole heart, and He will accept us back. Let us not think we can remain unrepentant and remain partakers of God's divine nature (2 Peter 1:4).
Amen Pastor Sean. What is this great battle that we must fight? It is the battle with self! How are we to be God's witnesses? We are to be victorious over self! How are we to do this? We receive omnipotent power from Christ to meet every temptation that come to us! Our message is to be the same message as Jesus' message. We are to do the same work as He and His disciples did. In doing this we will reveal His and our love for sinners.

The disciples' message was the same as that of John the Baptist and of Christ Himself: "The kingdom of heaven is at hand." They were to enter into no controversy with the people as to whether Jesus of Nazareth was the Messiah; but in His name they were to do the same works of mercy as He had done. He bade them, "Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give."
     During His ministry Jesus devoted more time to healing the sick than to preaching. His miracles testified to the truth of His words, that He came not to destroy but to save. His righteousness went before Him, and the glory of the Lord was His rearward. Wherever He went, the tidings of His mercy preceded Him. Where He had passed, the objects of His compassion were rejoicing in health, and making trial of their new-found powers. Crowds were collecting around them to hear from their lips the works that the Lord had wrought. His voice was the first sound that many had ever heard, His name the first word they had ever spoken, His face the first they had ever looked upon. Why should they not love Jesus, and sound His praise? As He passed through the towns and cities He was like a vital current, diffusing life and joy wherever He went. 
Jesus sees our need, and He has made infinite provision in giving us the Holy Spirit to guide us in every trial and temptation. We may rely upon Infinite Wisdom to direct the battle brought to us by the Holy Spirit. Let us remember that as long as we are living by faith upon Christ, the Holy Spirit indwells our hearts and minds so that all the fruits of His character--love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, meekness, faith, and temperance--will be seen in our lives without one missing. As long as we have the connection with Christ by His Spirit, which glorifies our Father in heaven, we are perfect in Him at that stage of experience and growth as we gladly follow all the light of truth thus far revealed to us, for Jesus said, "If ye love Me, keep My commandments" (John 14:15). Love is expressed as a high and holy principle in our lives that leads us to walk even as He walked--in constant union and communion with our Heavenly Father! What a joy we can experience as we serve the Lord with gladness this Sabbath day!

"Now the Saviour's eye penetrates the future; He beholds the broader fields in which, after His death, the disciples are to be witnesses for Him. His prophetic glance takes in the experience of His servants through all the ages till He shall come the second time. He shows His followers the conflicts they must meet; He reveals the character and plan of the battle. He lays open before them the perils they must encounter, the self-denial that will be required. He desires them to count the cost, that they may not be taken unawares by the enemy. Their warfare is not to be waged against flesh and blood, but 'against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.' Ephesians 6:12, R. V. They are to contend with supernatural forces, but they are assured of supernatural help. All the intelligences of heaven are in this army. And more than angels are in the ranks. The Holy Spirit, the representative of the Captain of the Lord's host, comes down to direct the battle. Our infirmities may be many, our sins and mistakes grievous; but the grace of God is for all who seek it with contrition. The power of Omnipotence is enlisted in behalf of those who trust in God." {The Desire of Ages, page 352, paragraph 2}
Sunday •  April 22

The Love of the Father

Not too long before the cross, Jesus spoke with His inner circle about how people can come to the Father through Him. It was then that Philip said: “Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us."  John 14:8.

How did Jesus respond to Philip? John 14:9. "Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou [then], Show us the Father?" What does His response teach us about the Father? What misconceptions about God should His response clear up?

Our heavenly Father is as loving as His Son, our Savior!

Some people say that the God of the Old Testament is a God of justice in comparison to the God of the New Testament, who is full of mercy and grace and forgiveness. They draw a distinction between the two that is not valid. It’s the same God, with the same traits, in both the Old and New Testaments.

One reason Christ came to this world was to reveal the truth about God the Father. Through the centuries, wrong ideas about Him and His character had become widespread, not just among the heathen but among God’s chosen nation, as well. “The earth was dark through misapprehension of God. That the gloomy shadows might be lightened, that the world might be brought back to God, Satan’s deceptive power was to be broken”. — Ellen G. White, The Desire of Ages, p. 22. These were some of the reasons that Jesus came to this earth.

God does not change. If we knew all the facts surrounding events in the Old Testament, we would find God just as merciful in the Old Testament as He is in the New. Scripture declares, “God is love” (1 John 4:8 ), and God does not change. “Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.” Heb. 13:8 .

Remember, too, it was the God of the Old Testament who hung on the cross.

This God is also gracious, compassionate, and slow to anger (Ps. 145:8 ) . God has unfailing love (Ps. 143:8 ) and delights in His followers (Ps. 147:11) . God plans to prosper people and give them hope (Jer. 29:11) . In His love, He will no longer rebuke but rejoices over His people with singing (Zeph. 3:17) . This, and so much more, is what God the Father is truly like.

Think about the fact that Jesus represents God the Father. Why is this such a wonderful and hopeful truth, especially for those who might sometimes be afraid of God.

Jesus represents God in both love and justice. God is not going to burn unrepentant sinners for eternity. But, He is going to burn sinners. God is perfectly just. Not one sin will go unpunished. Matter of fact, some sins will be punished twice. The unrepentant sinners will be punished for each sin. But, Jesus was already punished for each sin of that person. How very sad that God's grace was not accepted by the unrepentant sinners.

The Desire of Ages / Re: The Desire of Ages--36--The Touch of Faith
« Last post by Richard Myers on April 20, 2018, 09:41:25 PM »
Amen, Dear Sister! That is what God wants to hear from our lips. We are to testify to the power of His love to transform us.

As we review His dealings with us in our pilgrimage, let us, out of hearts melted with gratitude, declare, "What shall I render unto the Lord for all His benefits toward me?

Grace is so very powerful when it is beheld and taken into the heart! What shall we render unto our Savior? His reward is seeing Himself reflected in our character. Such a miracle!!!
Sabbath Afternoon

Read for This Week’s Study: John 14:9; Zeph. 3:17; John 1:1-3; Rom. 8:38, 39; Ps. 91:15, 16; Rev. 14:6, 7; Eph. 1:4, 5.

Memory Verse: “Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us, and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.” 1 John 4:10

One fascinating but crucial difference between Christianity and non-Christian religions is that while the others emphasize what their founders have taught them, they do not emphasize what their founders have done for them . And that’s because whatever their founders may have done for them, it cannot save them. All these leaders could do was try to teach the people how to “save” themselves.

Amen!  That is very sad since man cannot change himself. Therefore, he is not fit to enter heaven. It would run heaven if sinners entered. We must first be transformed in heart. That can only happen when God's grace is allowed into the human heart. Then the repentant sinner is a new creature in Christ Jesus. He is a partaker of God's divine nature. "Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust." 2 Peter 1:4.

In contrast, Christians emphasize not only what Jesus taught but what He did, because what Christ did provides the only means by which we are saved. Christ’s incarnation in human flesh (Rom. 8:3), His death on the cross (Rom. 5:8 ), His resurrection (1 Pet. 1:3) and His ministry in heaven (Heb. 7:25) — these acts alone are what saves us. It’s certainly not anything in ourselves. “If you would gather together everything that is good and holy and noble and lovely in man and then present the subject to the angels of God as acting a part in the salvation of the human soul or in merit, the proposition would be rejected as treason”. — Ellen G. White, Faith and Works, p. 24.

Amen! The only good thing in man is when the Holy Spirit takes possession of the heart. Then He will work through us to witness the character of our God. Character is developed as we walk in the light of God's love and grace.

This wonderful truth is especially important for us amid the perils and deceptions of the last days.

Amen! Israel was deceived and so have many in the church today. Our only hope is to turn to Christ and His Word that we might understand what we must do in order to be transformed in character. We must behold our Savior's grace. It is by grace we are saved. But, not all are saved. Why not, if it is God's grace, and not our own works that saves us? Because God's grace is not seen and allowed into the heart. Thus, it does no good for the sinner. Many in the church believe they are fine just as they are. They do not listen to Christ say to the last church "you believe you are rich and increased with goods and have need of nothing."

Study this week’s lesson to prepare for Sabbath, April 28.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10