Author Topic: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 10-2nd Quarter 2014-Christ, the Law and the Covenants  (Read 17384 times)

Wally

• Romans 8:35, 38, 39
 Lesson 10 *May 31-June 6

Christ, the Law and the Covenants

Sabbath Afternoon

Read for This Week's Study: Gen. 9:12-17, 17:2-12, Gal. 3:15-28, Deut. 9:9, Heb. 10:11-18, Heb. 9:15-28.

Memory Text: "For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance-now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant" (Hebrews 9:15, NIV).

God's eternal decision to save humanity has been revealed to us through the ages in the covenants. Though the Bible speaks of covenants in the plural (Rom. 9:4, Gal. 4:24, Eph. 2:12), there is really only the covenant of grace, in which salvation is given to sinners, not on the basis of their merits but on the merits of Jesus that are offered to all who claim those merits by faith. The plural, covenants, simply means that God has advanced His saving purposes by restating the covenant in various ways in order to meet the needs of His people in different times and settings. It is always, though, one covenant-the eternal covenant of God's saving grace.

The heart of this covenant is our Lord's steadfast, faithful love, a love that the Bible at times even equates with the covenants themselves (see Deut. 7:9, 1 Kings 8:23, Dan. 9:4). As part of that covenant, God calls His people to obey His law, not as a means of salvation but as the fruit of it. Law and grace together have always been central to God's eternal covenant.

*Study this week's lesson to prepare for Sabbath, June 7.

Sunday June 1

Covenant Signs (Gen. 9:12-17)

A covenant can be simply defined as an agreement between two parties based upon promises made by either one or by both parties. There are two basic methods by which a covenant can operate. In the first, both parties to the covenant agree to the terms of the relationship and make mutual promises. This would be the case in a marriage, business merger, or even the purchase of property. In the second category, one party initiates the covenant by stipulating both the promises and the nonnegotiable terms, and the other party is invited to participate. Examples include payment of taxes or enrollment at an educational institution. In both instances, either party is free to withdraw from the covenant, but there is usually a consequence. (For instance, a person who fails to pay his mortgage will lose his home, or a citizen who refuses to remit taxes will be prosecuted.)

A covenant is usually sealed with at least one symbol. For instance, a person purchasing a home places several signatures on a mortgage agreement with a lending institution, which keeps the title deed for the property in trust until the full amount is paid. Or married people are issued a legal document of marriage by the state. The symbol itself is not the covenant but an indicator that a person is obligated to a covenant.

Read Genesis 9:12-17 and 17:2-12. What is the difference between the symbol and the covenant in these cases? Also, what are the differences between these two covenants?

In Genesis 9:9 God covenants with creation that He will never again destroy the earth with water. Whenever a rainbow appears in the sky, all are expected to remember God's promise. The same is true for the mark of circumcision, which was supposed to remind every Jewish male of His people's role in blessing the nations. One covenant was made with all humanity, the other specifically with the nation of Israel. Also, in the covenant made with humanity after the Flood, the people didn't have to do anything; the promise was just there, regardless of what the people did. This wasn't so with the second one, the one made with Israel; the people had to fulfill their part of the deal.

Monday June 2

Covenant Promises

Covenants are based on promises. In fact, it is possible to use the two terms interchangeably. Of course, when a covenant is made, it is expected that the person who makes the promise (covenant) has the ability to deliver what is promised (covenanted).

In the Old Testament, some covenants were local and limited affairs (see, for instance, Gen. 31:43-54).

The incident with Jacob and Laban demonstrates that covenants can be transactions made within and between societies. The monument at Mizpah was to serve as the sign of a treaty that would only apply to the two clans. When those to whom the treaty applied had died, the terms of the treaty would be irrelevant. Unlike this covenant made between humans, the covenants that Yahweh instituted with Noah and Abraham have everlasting implications.

How does Galatians 3:15-28 help to explain the broader implications of the Abrahamic covenant?

Throughout the Bible, God has made several universal covenants in which He makes promises that are relevant to all humanity. Recognizing that the entire earth had been affected by the Flood, Yahweh promised not to allow His creation to be devastated by water again. In the case with Abraham, God saw humanity's need for righteousness and so He promised to provide a blessing for all nations through Abraham's seed (Gen. 22:18).

Though God made the Sinai covenant with a specific nation it also has universal significance. God was very clear that any foreigner could be a part of the chosen people (for example, Exod. 12:48-49), and Israel's mission was to be an evangelistic light to the world (Exod. 19:5-6).

What is your own personal understanding of your covenantal relationship with God? That is, what has God promised you, and what has He asked of you in return for those promises?
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Wally

Tuesday June 3

Tablet of the Covenant

Although a covenant is based on promises, there are usually conditions to meet before the promises are fulfilled. The Abrahamic covenant involved the circumcision of all males who were either born to Abraham or his descendants. When Yahweh covenanted with Israel, He personally engraved the requirements for the relationship on tablets of stone (Deut. 9:8-11). These requirements, preserved in the Ten Commandments, were to form the basis of God's everlasting covenant with all humans.

Because they detail certain terms of the covenant, the Ten Commandments are often termed the "tablets of the covenant" (Deut. 9:9, NKJV). The Ten Commandments are not intended to be an obstacle course designed to make life hard for those who have entered into the covenant with God; instead, as an expression of God's love, the commandments have been given for the benefit of those who have entered into a covenant relationship with their Lord.

In what ways do Jeremiah 31:31-34 and Hebrews 10:11-18 uphold the everlasting nature of God's law in the New Covenant?

Under the Old Covenant at Mount Sinai, the Israelites and those who joined the community were obligated to demonstrate faithfulness to the covenant by keeping the Ten Commandments. When they violated a commandment they were expected to offer an animal sacrifice if they wished to have their sins forgiven.

Under the New Covenant at Mount Calvary, God's people are still obligated to keep the Ten Commandments. However, when they sin they don't have to offer continuous sacrifices, because Jesus is their full and complete sacrifice (Heb. 9:11-14). The New Covenant is so much better than the old because now, by faith, we claim the promises of forgiveness offered to us through the sacrifice of Jesus. "There is hope for us only as we come under the Abrahamic covenant, which is the covenant of grace by faith in Christ Jesus."-Ellen G. White Comments, The SDA Bible Commentary, vol. 6, p. 1077.

What does it mean to have God's law written in your heart? How does this differ from merely understanding God's law as a code of obedience?

Wednesday June 4

The Covenant and the Gospel (Heb. 9:15-22)

There were strong consequences for violating certain biblical covenants. Yahweh warned Abraham that any male who was not circumcised would be cut off from the chosen (Gen. 17:14), and a litany of curses was directed toward those who refused to abide by the terms of the Sinai covenant (Deut. 27:11-26). Ultimately, those who violated the terms of the covenant would be punished with death (Ezek. 18:4). The same is true for the New Covenant: those who refuse to keep God's law are also denied access to eternal life (Rom. 6:23).

Read Hebrews 9:15-28. In what ways is the gospel revealed in these verses?

Hebrews 9:15-28 repeats the gospel story as it proclaims the part that Christ plays in securing the promises for believers. Verse 15 points out that Jesus functions as the "mediator" of the New Covenant who, through His death, offers eternal life to those who otherwise would face eternal destruction.

In verses 16 and 17 some Bible translations switch from discussing "covenant" and introduce the term "will" instead, even though the same Greek word is used. This brings in the whole idea of death, the death of Jesus for us. When viewed in that context, the passage reminds the believer that without Christ the covenant requires the death of each sinner. However, the sinner can be covered and then cleansed by Christ's shed blood and thus be among those who "eagerly wait" His return (Heb. 9:28, NKJV).

"Then we shall know that our own righteousness is indeed as filthy rags, and that the blood of Christ alone can cleanse us from the defilement of sin, and renew our hearts in His own likeness."-Ellen G. White, Steps to Christ, p. 29.

God Himself, in the person of Jesus, bore in Himself the punishment for our sins in order to spare us that punishment, which we deserve. What does this tell us about the character of God, and why we can trust Him, no matter our circumstances?
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Wally

Thursday June 5

Covenant Benefits (Eph. 2:6)

In many instances people can experience the promises of a covenant before all the terms are even met. For instance, a person purchasing a home has the opportunity to live in the home before it is paid for. Or a citizen enjoys the public services offered by the government before he has even started paying taxes. Those who enter into a covenant with God can also start to experience the benefits of the covenant before the promises are actualized in the future.

Think, for instance, about the Ten Commandments, and how much pain and suffering people could avoid if they simply followed them. Who hasn't personally experienced the heartache that comes from the violation of these commandments? Even worse, the suffering that comes isn't always limited to the one who violates the law; often others, even those closest to the sinner, suffer, as well.

According to these texts, what other benefits can we find, even now, through being in a covenant relationship with Jesus?
2 Cor. 4:16-18 1 John 5:11-13 Phil. 1:6 John 5:24

Jesus uses very strong language in the Gospel of John when He reports that those who accept Him have already " "passed from death into life" " (John 5:24, NKJV). So confident is the believer in his or her salvation that although confined to this earth, he or she can claim to be sitting in heavenly places with Christ Jesus (Eph. 2:6).

If someone were to ask you, "What does it mean to be sitting with Jesus in heaven now" (as Ephesians 2:6 says)? What would you answer, and why?

Friday June 6

Further Study: For more information on this week's topic, read Ellen G. White, "The Covenant of Grace," pp. 131-137, in God's Amazing Grace.

"This same covenant was renewed to Abraham in the promise, "In thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed." Gen. 22:18. This promise pointed to Christ. So Abraham understood it, and he trusted in Christ for the forgiveness of sins. It was this faith that was accounted unto him for righteousness. The covenant with Abraham also maintained the authority of God's law. . . .

"The Abrahamic covenant was ratified by the blood of Christ, and it is called the "second," or "new," covenant, because the blood by which it was sealed was shed after the blood of the first covenant. . . .

"The covenant of grace is not a new truth, for it existed in the mind of God from all eternity. This is why it is called the everlasting covenant. . . .

"There is hope for us only as we come under the Abrahamic covenant, which is the covenant of grace by faith in Christ Jesus."-Ellen G. White, The Faith I Live By, p. 75.
Discussion Questions:

What do Exodus 31:16 and Isaiah 56:4-6 suggest about the importance of the Sabbath to the covenant? See also Ezekiel 20. It is often thought that the Old Covenant, the one established with Abraham, was a covenant of works, in contrast to the New Covenant, which is of grace. Why is this idea wrong? What Bible verses can you find that prove it was always a covenant of grace? Why must it always have been by grace and never by works?

Though Ephesians 1 doesn't use the phrase, "everlasting covenant," in what way does this phrase help us to understand why it has been called that?

God promised that He would never again destroy the world by a flood, a promise symbolized by the rainbow. If, as some suggest, Noah's flood were only local, what does that make of God's promise? Why is the idea that the Flood was not global a major assault on Bible truth? (After all, look at all the local floods that have happened since then. If Noah's flood were only local, what would these other local floods do to God's covenant promise?)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online

Sabbath Afternoon

Read for This Week's Study: Gen. 9:12-17, 17:2-12, Gal. 3:15-28, Deut. 9:9, Heb. 10:11-18, Heb. 9:15-28.

Memory Text: "And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions [that were] under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance." (Hebrews 9:15).

God's eternal decision to save humanity has been revealed to us through the ages in the covenants. Though the Bible speaks of covenants in the plural (Rom. 9:4, Gal. 4:24, Eph. 2:12), there is really only the covenant of grace, in which salvation is given to sinners, not on the basis of their merits but on the merits of Jesus that are offered to all who claim those merits by faith. The plural, covenants, simply means that God has advanced His saving purposes by restating the covenant in various ways in order to meet the needs of His people in different times and settings. It is always, though, one covenant-the eternal covenant of God's saving grace.ab

The old covenant is not a covenant of grace. There was no grace offered in it. "Obey and live" was the covenant. The new covenant is a covenant of grace and a repeat of the everlasting covenant. If God's grace was accepted, His law would be written on the heart. It revealed a crucified Savior by which all may be not only forgiven, but transformed in nature.

The heart of this covenant is our Lord's steadfast, faithful love, a love that the Bible at times even equates with the covenants themselves (see Deut. 7:9, 1 Kings 8:23, Dan. 9:4). As part of that covenant, God calls His people to obey His law, not as a means of salvation but as the fruit of it. Law and grace together have always been central to God's eternal covenant.

Yes, by beholding God's grace, a sinner is converted to a saint. God's character is written upon the heart.
"But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, [even] as by the Spirit of the Lord." 2 Cor. 3:18. 

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Sunday June 1

Covenant Signs (Gen. 9:12-17)

A covenant can be simply defined as an agreement between two parties based upon promises made by either one or by both parties. There are two basic methods by which a covenant can operate. In the first, both parties to the covenant agree to the terms of the relationship and make mutual promises. This would be the case in a marriage, business merger, or even the purchase of property. In the second category, one party initiates the covenant by stipulating both the promises and the nonnegotiable terms, and the other party is invited to participate. Examples include payment of taxes or enrollment at an educational institution. In both instances, either party is free to withdraw from the covenant, but there is usually a consequence. (For instance, a person who fails to pay his mortgage will lose his home, or a citizen who refuses to remit taxes will be prosecuted.)

A covenant is usually sealed with at least one symbol. For instance, a person purchasing a home places several signatures on a mortgage agreement with a lending institution, which keeps the title deed for the property in trust until the full amount is paid. Or married people are issued a legal document of marriage by the state. The symbol itself is not the covenant but an indicator that a person is obligated to a covenant.

Read Genesis 9:12-17 and 17:2-12.

9:12   And God said, This [is] the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that [is] with you, for perpetual generations: 
 9:13   I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth. 
 9:14   And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud: 
 9:15   And I will remember my covenant, which [is] between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh. 
 9:16   And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that [is] upon the earth. 
 9:17   And God said unto Noah, This [is] the token of the covenant, which I have established between me and all flesh that [is] upon the earth. 

17:2   And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly. 
 17:3   And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying, 
 17:4   As for me, behold, my covenant [is] with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations. 
 17:5   Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee. 
 17:6   And I will make thee exceeding fruitful, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee. 
 17:7   And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee. 
 17:8   And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God. 
 17:9   And God said unto Abraham, Thou shalt keep my covenant therefore, thou, and thy seed after thee in their generations. 
 17:10   This [is] my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised. 
 17:11   And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you. 
 17:12   And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which [is] not of thy seed.

What is the difference between the symbol and the covenant in these cases? Also, what are the differences between these two covenants?

In Genesis 9:9 God covenants with creation that He will never again destroy the earth with water. Whenever a rainbow appears in the sky, all are expected to remember God's promise. The same is true for the mark of circumcision, which was supposed to remind every Jewish male of His people's role in blessing the nations. One covenant was made with all humanity, the other specifically with the nation of Israel. Also, in the covenant made with humanity after the Flood, the people didn't have to do anything; the promise was just there, regardless of what the people did. This wasn't so with the second one, the one made with Israel; the people had to fulfill their part of the deal.

Yes, in both the everlasting covenant and the old covenant, there were two parties and both had obligations. The blessings promised by God in both were subject to conditions. In the old covenant life was promised on conditions of obedience. "Obey and live." In the everlasting covenant, God promised His Son would die in place of the sinner and life would be given subject to the sinner accepting that sacrifice and having his heart made new by an indwelling Christ.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
My first inclination was to apologize for continuing our discussion on the covenants. It is "meat" not "milk". But, it is late in the day and God would have us better understand the covenants.

From 2 Corinthians:

3:2   Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men: 
 3:3   [Forasmuch as ye are] manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshly tables of the heart. 
 3:4   And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward: 
 3:5   Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency [is] of God; 
 3:6   Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life. 
 3:7   But if the ministration of death, written [and] engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which [glory] was to be done away: 
 3:8   How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious? 
 3:9   For if the ministration of condemnation [be] glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory. 
 3:10   For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth. 
 3:11   For if that which is done away [was] glorious, much more that which remaineth [is] glorious. 

We have many Bible students reading our lesson each week. Let us rightly divide the word of truth. Paul is not discussing the law being done away with, then what is he talking about?

Al

The old covenant is not a covenant of grace. There was no grace offered in it. "Obey and live" was the covenant. The new covenant is a covenant of grace and a repeat of the everlasting covenant. If God's grace was accepted, His law would be written on the heart. It revealed a crucified Savior by which all may be not only forgiven, but transformed in nature.

Richard could you expand on this some more. Where was the grace missing in this covenant? I know you mentioned that part of the agreement was "obey and live" did God have  a purpose in all this?
Jesus looked upon the distressed and heart burdened, those whose hopes were blighted, and who with earthly joys were seeking to quiet the longing of the soul, and He invited all to find rest in Him.  {DA 328.3}

colporteur

Or was it simply that in the Old Covenant grace did not benefit the people because they did not realize its necessity and therefore access it ? In other words they did not take advantage of the provision because of ignorance and lack of experience.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online

Richard could you expand on this some more. Where was the grace missing in this covenant? I know you mentioned that part of the agreement was "obey and live" did God have  a purpose in all this?

Good to see your post, Al. Here is what God said to Moses just before giving the law to Israel at Sinai.

19:5   Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth [is] mine: 
 19:6   And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These [are] the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel. 
 19:7   And Moses came and called for the elders of the people, and laid before their faces all these words which the LORD commanded him. 
 19:8   And all the people answered together, and said, All that the LORD hath spoken we will do. And Moses returned the words of the people unto the LORD. 

Sure they would "do".  They had no power to obey. First they would have to learn of God. This is not an easy subject. We must study Paul's writings. He is the one who called the covenant made at Sinai, the "old covenant". So, we return to 2 Cor.

2 Corinthians:

3:2   Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:
 3:3   [Forasmuch as ye are] manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshly tables of the heart.
 3:4   And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:
 3:5   Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency [is] of God;
 3:6   Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
 3:7   But if the ministration of death, written [and] engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which [glory] was to be done away:
 3:8   How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
 3:9   For if the ministration of condemnation [be] glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.
 3:10   For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.
 3:11   For if that which is done away [was] glorious, much more that which remaineth [is] glorious.

Paul is not discussing the law being done away with, then what is he talking about?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online

Or was it simply that in the Old Covenant grace did not benefit the people because they did not realize its necessity and therefore access it ? In other words they did not take advantage of the provision because of ignorance and lack of experience.

It is true that the people did not know of their need of a Savior. But, that does not address the covenant and that it was "obey and live." As we read what Paul had to say about the "old covenant" we find that it was not the same as the new covenant, which was a better covenant.

colporteur

It is true that the people did not know of their need of a Savior. But, that does not address the covenant and that it was "obey and live." As we read what Paul had to say about the "old covenant" we find that it was not the same as the new covenant, which was a better covenant.

That's true. It was not God's end of the Old covenant that was lacking. I believe that God provided grace in which ever covenant we discuss. It's just that under the Old Covenant the people sought to obey God apart from that empowering grace and of course they failed. Had they accessed that grace I suppose we would say they transitioned and came under the New Covenant or the Everlasting covenant.  Is that what you are saying ? 
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Al

Richard maybe you can share you understanding of 2 Corinthians 3. If the law was not done away with then we have only two choices left. 1. The glory that was Moses face or 2. The condemnation. And is there grace in the ministration of condemnation?

God is love so everything that God does involves grace. God is not willing that any should perish and just as he calls out to Adam and Eve who are hiding in the garden He seeks out man to bring Him back into relation with Himself.

God took the children of Israel to Mt. Sinai for a purpose. Even after the people of God witnessed the mighty power of God in their deliverance from Egypt and crossing the Red sea on dry ground, they did not realize the sinfulness of their own hearts. They did not part the red sea nor did they bring the plagues on Egypt they did not deliver themselves from bondage.  God still needed to lead his people to see their own weakness and sinfulness before they could serve him with a whole heart.

God brought them face to face with His law just as his did Paul. God spoke the law in majestic grandeur so that the people trembled. Even with all this, the people still felt that they could with a carnal mind keep the law of God. Romans 8:7  "Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be." In the record given us at Mt. Sinai there is no mentioning of the people ever falling on their knees in repentance. There is no turning away from wickedness and with a whole heart turning to God. Instead, they come in confidence before God and say "All that the Lord said we will do".

When Jonah brought a message of doom to the people of Nineveh they responded in the correct manner. If you read Jonah chapter 3 you find the people believed God insomuch that the king rent his cloths and covered himself with sackcloth and ashes. They did not eat or drink any water and turned from their wickedness.  "Who can tell if God will turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not? And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not." Jonah 3:9-10 

This is a very good example what should take place in the heart of the sinner before they can receive pardon. However, even this is not a work we do to earn the favor of God. Repentance is a gift an act of grace. We cannot make ourselves see our sinful condition this comes from God. The goodness of God leads us to repentance (Romans 2:4) The people of Nineveh realized their sinful condition and turned their hearts to God. They turned from their evil ways and served God with a whole heart. None of this took place at Mt. Sinai there was no repentance or turning away from sin.

I see some similarities between this event at Mt. Sinai and Romans chapter 7. When Paul was alive once without the law, he was professing to keep the law without a new heart. He was living under the old covenant. The people during this time were also alive once without the law they did not see that they were under condemnation. But these people soon realized even with their best intentions that they could not keep the law. They were very soon worshiping a golden calf. There are many today who are still living under the old covenant.

"The terms of the "old covenant" were, Obey and live: "If a man do, he shall even live in them;" but "cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them." Ezekiel 20:11; Leviticus 18:5; Deuteronomy 27:26. The "new covenant" was established upon "better promises"--the promise of forgiveness of sins, and of the grace of God to renew the heart, and bring it into harmony with the principles of God's law.   
     The only means of salvation is provided under the Abrahamic covenant." The Faith I Live By page 78

What was lacking in the old covenant? What were the better promises?
Jesus looked upon the distressed and heart burdened, those whose hopes were blighted, and who with earthly joys were seeking to quiet the longing of the soul, and He invited all to find rest in Him.  {DA 328.3}

Al

Lesson - Sunday - Covenant Signs

Genesis 9: 12-17

"The rainbow spanning the heavens with its arch of light is a token of "the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature." Genesis 9:16. And the rainbow encircling the throne on high is also a token to God's children of His covenant of peace. 
     As the bow in the cloud results from the union of sunshine and shower, so the bow above God's throne represents the union of His mercy and His justice. To the sinful but repentant soul God says, Live thou; "I have found a ransom." Job 33:24.   
     "As I have sworn that the waters of Noah should no more go over the earth; so have I sworn that I would not be wroth with thee, nor rebuke thee. For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but My kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of My peace be removed, saith the Lord that hath mercy on thee." Isaiah 54:9, 10."  {Ed  p.115}

The sunshine and shower are to remind us of the union of God's mercy and His justice. Every time we see a rainbow we should be reminded that God would destroy those who refuse his grace but we should also be remember that God desires to save us to the uttermost. God is not willing that any should perish.

In Revelation 4:3 and 10:1 there is a description of a rainbow round about the throne of God. "The rainbow about the throne is an assurance that God is true . . ." (The Faith I Live By p. 42)

"By faith let us look upon the rainbow round about the throne, the cloud of sins confessed behind it. The rainbow of promise is an assurance to every humble, contrite, believing soul, that his life is one with Christ, and that Christ is one with God. The wrath of God will not fall upon one soul that seeks refuge in Him. God Himself has declared, "When I see the blood, I will pass over you." "The bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant" (Exodus 12:13; Genesis 9:16).  {AG 70.5} 

"What compassion for erring man, to place the beautiful, variegated rainbow in the clouds, a token of the covenant of the great God with man! . . . It was His design that as the children of after generations should see the bow in the cloud, . . . their parents could explain to them the destruction of the old world by a flood, because the people gave themselves up to all manner of wickedness, and that the hands of the Most High had bended the bow, and placed it in the clouds, as a token that He would never bring again a flood of waters on the earth. This symbol in the clouds was to confirm the belief of all, and establish their confidence in God, for it was a token of divine mercy and goodness to man. . . ."  {AG 159.2}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Richard maybe you can share you understanding of 2 Corinthians 3. If the law was not done away with then we have only two choices left. 1. The glory that was Moses face or 2. The condemnation. And is there grace in the ministration of condemnation?

Thanks for your reply, Al.  Paul calls this the "ministration of death".  Obey and live was cut and dry. The law requires perfect obedience. And, yes, Romans 7 illustrates the obey and live covenant. Those who wish to keep the law without a Savior will soon learn they cannot obey and live.  There must be a changed life, a renewed heart, a living connection  with God in order to obey....from the heart. You zero in on the subject when you ask what was lacking in the old covenant, and when you ask about the better promises. Until we as a people address these questions, we shall not have the success God intends. We have not done well in teaching the covenants, thus there is error in this important doctrine.

"The terms of the "old covenant" were, Obey and live: "If a man do, he shall even live in them;" but "cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them." Ezekiel 20:11; Leviticus 18:5; Deuteronomy 27:26. The "new covenant" was established upon "better promises"--the promise of forgiveness of sins, and of the grace of God to renew the heart, and bring it into harmony with the principles of God's law.   
     The only means of salvation is provided under the Abrahamic covenant." The Faith I Live By page 78

What was lacking in the old covenant? What were the better promises?

I  pray that some others have good answers to these questions. Something was done away with. It was not the law of God. How many times have we heard it taught that the old covenant was good, it was the people who were faulty? That reveals a complete lack of understanding of what Paul was teaching and why he addressed the old covenant...when in fact it was not the oldest covenant. Why his concern? Yes,  the ministration of death was glorious,  but it was lacking. What was it lacking and what were the better promises?

We ought to be feeding upon "meat", but most are still feeding upon "milk". In Corinth, Paul was addressing those still  carnal. "I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able [to bear it], neither yet now are ye able.  For ye are yet carnal: for whereas [there is] among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?"  And in Hebrews he again makes reference to the need to advance past the foundation of our faith. "Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing.  For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which [be] the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.  For every one that useth milk [is] unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.  But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, [even] those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil. Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment." 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Monday June 2

Covenant Promises

Covenants are based on promises. In fact, it is possible to use the two terms interchangeably. Of course, when a covenant is made, it is expected that the person who makes the promise (covenant) has the ability to deliver what is promised (covenanted).

In the Old Testament, some covenants were local and limited affairs (see, for instance, Gen. 31:43-54).

The incident with Jacob and Laban demonstrates that covenants can be transactions made within and between societies. The monument at Mizpah was to serve as the sign of a treaty that would only apply to the two clans. When those to whom the treaty applied had died, the terms of the treaty would be irrelevant. Unlike this covenant made between humans, the covenants that Yahweh instituted with Noah and Abraham have everlasting implications.

How does Galatians 3:15-28 help to explain the broader implications of the Abrahamic covenant?

3:15   Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though [it be] but a man's covenant, yet [if it be] confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto. 
 3:16   Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ. 
 3:17   And this I say, [that] the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect. 
 3:18   For if the inheritance [be] of the law, [it is] no more of promise: but God gave [it] to Abraham by promise. 
 3:19   Wherefore then [serveth] the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; [and it was] ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator. 
 3:20   Now a mediator is not [a mediator] of one, but God is one. 
 3:21   [Is] the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law. 
 3:22   But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. 
 3:23   But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. 
 3:24   Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster [to bring us] unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 
 3:25   But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. 
 3:26   For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. 
 3:27   For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 
 3:28   There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. 
 3:29   And if ye [be] Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise. 

I added verse 29 since it addresses the issue. We see that the covenant extends to us who love God supremely.

Throughout the Bible, God has made several universal covenants in which He makes promises that are relevant to all humanity. Recognizing that the entire earth had been affected by the Flood, Yahweh promised not to allow His creation to be devastated by water again. In the case with Abraham, God saw humanity's need for righteousness and so He promised to provide a blessing for all nations through Abraham's seed (Gen. 22:18).

Though God made the Sinai covenant with a specific nation it also has universal significance. God was very clear that any foreigner could be a part of the chosen people (for example, Exod. 12:48-49), and Israel's mission was to be an evangelistic light to the world (Exod. 19:5-6).

Israel was not a light to the world. They brought great reproach upon God. How is it with us today?

What is your own personal understanding of your covenantal relationship with God? That is, what has God promised you, and what has He asked of you in return for those promises?

I would like to hear what others think that God has promised in the covenant provided for us.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Lesson - Sunday - Covenant Signs

Genesis 9: 12-17

......."What compassion for erring man, to place the beautiful, variegated rainbow in the clouds, a token of the covenant of the great God with man! . . . It was His design that as the children of after generations should see the bow in the cloud, . . . their parents could explain to them the destruction of the old world by a flood, because the people gave themselves up to all manner of wickedness, and that the hands of the Most High had bended the bow, and placed it in the clouds, as a token that He would never bring again a flood of waters on the earth. This symbol in the clouds was to confirm the belief of all, and establish their confidence in God, for it was a token of divine mercy and goodness to man. . . ."  {AG 159.2}

Thanks for sharing, Al.  How many times have we heard about the rainbow and the promise of no more world-wide flood? But, have you ever heard the rest being told? "...their parents could explain to them the destruction of the old world by a flood, because the people gave themselves up to all manner of wickedness..." Interesting how the whole story is told, not just the "love, love, love" part. Yes, God killed every living person on this earth except for those who took up the offer made by God to board the ark. God did not set aside His justice, but He instead gave up His Son to this wicked world that we might live. Such love!  and while we were yet sinners!!!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Tuesday June 3

Tables of the Covenant

Although a covenant is based on promises, there are usually conditions to meet before the promises are fulfilled. The Abrahamic covenant involved the circumcision of all males who were either born to Abraham or his descendants. When Yahweh covenanted with Israel, He personally engraved the requirements for the relationship on tables of the covenant (Deut. 9:8-11). These requirements, preserved in the Ten Commandments, were to form the basis of God's everlasting covenant with all humans.

Yes and no. The giving of the law at Sinai was not the everlasting covenant. If we want to understand the everlasting covenant, we go to Genesis 3:15.  "And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel." We do not see the law spoken of here. But, it is understood to be there. How so? And why is it not the same as the "old covenant" made at Sinai?

Because they detail certain terms of the covenant, the Ten Commandments are often termed the "tables of the covenant" (Deut. 9:9, ). The Ten Commandments are not intended to be an obstacle course designed to make life hard for those who have entered into the covenant with God; instead, as an expression of God's love, the commandments have been given for the benefit of those who have entered into a covenant relationship with their Lord.

God made the covenant with the Jews at Sinai knowing they could not keep it. As in Romans 7, as Al shared, it was indeed an obstacle that impossible to keep without a Savior.

In what ways do Jeremiah 31:31-34 and Hebrews 10:11-18 uphold the everlasting nature of God's law in the New Covenant?

31:31   Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: 
 31:32   Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day [that] I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD: 
 31:33   But this [shall be] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. 
 31:34   And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more. 

10:11   And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins: 
 10:12   But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; 
 10:13   From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool. 
 10:14   For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified. 
 10:15   [Whereof] the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before, 
 10:16   This [is] the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; 
 10:17   And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more. 
 10:18   Now where remission of these [is, there is] no more offering for sin. 

Under the Old Covenant at Mount Sinai, the Israelites and those who joined the community were obligated to demonstrate faithfulness to the covenant by keeping the Ten Commandments. When they violated a commandment they were expected to offer an animal sacrifice if they wished to have their sins forgiven.

They were told that if they would obey, they would live. That included the ceremonial law as well as the moral law. There was no mention of mercy when God gave the law. The covenant made at Sinai was to be replace with a better covenant with better promises. Now, we are still waiting for the answer as to what were those promises. Hint...you may re-read the verses just quoted, for they speak of the new covenant.

Under the New Covenant at Mount Calvary, God's people are still obligated to keep the Ten Commandments. However, when they sin they don't have to offer continuous sacrifices, because Jesus is their full and complete sacrifice (Heb. 9:11-14). The New Covenant is so much better than the old because now, by faith, we claim the promises of forgiveness offered to us through the sacrifice of Jesus. "There is hope for us only as we come under the Abrahamic covenant, which is the covenant of grace by faith in Christ Jesus."-Ellen G. White Comments, The SDA Bible Commentary, vol. 6, p. 1077.

What does it mean to have God's law written in your heart? How does this differ from merely understanding God's law as a code of obedience?

Very good question. What does it mean? How is it different from Saul in Romans 7, and how his Pharisee friends were acting in regards to the law?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Wednesday June 4

The Covenant and the Gospel (Heb. 9:15-22)

There were strong consequences for violating certain biblical covenants. Yahweh warned Abraham that any male who was not circumcised would be cut off from the chosen (Gen. 17:14), and a litany of curses was directed toward those who refused to abide by the terms of the Sinai covenant (Deut. 27:11-26). Ultimately, those who violated the terms of the covenant would be punished with death (Ezek. 18:4). The same is true for the New Covenant: those who refuse to keep God's law are also denied access to eternal life (Rom. 6:23).

Some would say this is salvation by works, but of course it's not. The wages of sin is death. And it would appear that the old covenant and the new covenant, both revealing that sin would lead to death would be the same covenant. But, they are not. The new covenant is a better covenant based on better promises.

Read Hebrews 9:15-28.

9:15   And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions [that were] under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance. 
 9:16   For where a testament [is], there must also of necessity be the death of the testator. 
 9:17   For a testament [is] of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth. 
 9:18   Whereupon neither the first [testament] was dedicated without blood. 
 9:19   For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and of goats, with water, and scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book, and all the people, 
 9:20   Saying, This [is] the blood of the testament which God hath enjoined unto you. 
 9:21   Moreover he sprinkled with blood both the tabernacle, and all the vessels of the ministry. 
 9:22   And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission. 
 9:23   [It was] therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these. 
 9:24   For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, [which are] the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us: 
 9:25   Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others; 
 9:26   For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself. 
 9:27   And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: 
 9:28   So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation. 

In what ways is the gospel revealed in these verses?

If man were to drink from then pure fountain opened unto us, instead of broken cisterns, this verse would be understood to be the gospel of grace. "Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall He appear the second time without sin unto salvation." 

Hebrews 9:15-28 repeats the gospel story as it proclaims the part that Christ plays in securing the promises for believers. Verse 15 points out that Jesus functions as the "mediator" of the New Covenant who, through His death, offers eternal life to those who otherwise would face eternal destruction.

In verses 16 and 17 some Bible translations switch from discussing "covenant" and introduce the term "will" instead, even though the same Greek word is used. This brings in the whole idea of death, the death of Jesus for us. When viewed in that context, the passage reminds the believer that without Christ the covenant requires the death of each sinner. However, the sinner can be covered and then cleansed by Christ's shed blood and thus be among those who "eagerly wait" His return (Heb. 9:28, NKJV).

"Then we shall know that our own righteousness is indeed as filthy rags, and that the blood of Christ alone can cleanse us from the defilement of sin, and renew our hearts in His own likeness."-Ellen G. White, Steps to Christ, p. 29.

Amazing! The blood of Christ can cleanse us from the defilement of sin! And, our hearts can be renewed in His own likeness! Such promises!

God Himself, in the person of Jesus, bore in Himself the punishment for our sins in order to spare us that punishment, which we deserve. What does this tell us about the character of God, and why we can trust Him, no matter our circumstances?

He's very smart that he could develop a plan of salvation that could turn a sinner into a saint! It is the greatest miracle God can perform. And, to think that God would risk His own Son to let him die for us while we were yet sinners!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
I was just thinking about what is going on in the United States today. Good is called evil, and evil called good. It is hard to believe that things continue on in such utter immorality. It came to mind as I finished the last post as I realized that so many who call themselves Christians do not believe these truths. How very sad.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Thursday June 5

Covenant Benefits (Eph. 2:6)

In many instances people can experience the promises of a covenant before all the terms are even met. For instance, a person purchasing a home has the opportunity to live in the home before it is paid for. Or a citizen enjoys the public services offered by the government before he has even started paying taxes. Those who enter into a covenant with God can also start to experience the benefits of the covenant before the promises are actualized in the future.

Think, for instance, about the Ten Commandments, and how much pain and suffering people could avoid if they simply followed them. Who hasn't personally experienced the heartache that comes from the violation of these commandments? Even worse, the suffering that comes isn't always limited to the one who violates the law; often others, even those closest to the sinner, suffer, as well.

According to these texts, what other benefits can we find, even now, through being in a covenant relationship with Jesus?

2 Cor. 4:16-18
 4:16   For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward [man] is renewed day by day. 
 4:17   For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding [and] eternal weight of glory; 
 4:18   While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen [are] temporal; but the things which are not seen [are] eternal. 

1 John 5:11-13
 5:11   And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 
 5:12   He that hath the Son hath life; [and] he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. 
 5:13   These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. 

Phil. 1:6
Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform [it] until the day of Jesus Christ: 

John 5:24
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. 
Jesus uses very strong language in the Gospel of John when He reports that those who accept Him have already " "passed from death into life" " (John 5:24, NKJV). So confident is the believer in his or her salvation that although confined to this earth, he or she can claim to be sitting in heavenly places with Christ Jesus (Eph. 2:6)

If someone were to ask you, "What does it mean to be sitting with Jesus in heaven now" (as Ephesians 2:6 says)? And hath raised [us] up together, and made [us] sit together in heavenly [places] in Christ Jesus: 

What would you answer, and why?

Either we are reconciled with God or we are not. Either we are filled with His Spirit or we are not. Either we are in a converted state or we are not. Either we are partakers of His divine nature or we are not. Either we are keeping His commandments or we are not. Either we have broken the covenant or have not (today). Either God has the heart or He does not. Either His law is written upon my heart at the moment or it is not. Therefore, in answer to the question, if Christ is indeed sitting on the throne of my heart now, then I am abiding in heaven as He sits upon His heavenly throne. Do you agree?