Author Topic: First Quarter--2013--SDA SS LESSON 4--Creation, a Biblical Theme  (Read 13669 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: First Quarter--2013--SDA SS LESSON 4--Creation, a Biblical Theme
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 08:03:46 PM »
WEDNESDAY January 23

Creation in the Prophets

“For thus saith the Lord that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the Lord; and there is none else.” Isa. 45:18.

Isaiah 45:18 emphasizes God’s intention to prepare a place for humans to live; thus, the fitness of the earth for life is not an accident.

Consider some of the features of the earth that make it a fit place for human life in contrast to the other planets in our solar system. First, water is present in abundance. There is some evidence of water activity on Mars, but there are no standing bodies of water on this or on any other planet aside from earth. Another unique feature of earth is the composition of the atmosphere, about 21 percent oxygen and 78 percent nitrogen. Other planets have atmospheres dominated either by carbon dioxide or by helium, but only earth has an atmosphere suitable for life. The range of temperatures on earth is suitable for terrestrial life, unlike any of the other planets in our solar system. This is due to a combination of factors, including our distance from the sun, the composition of our atmosphere, the mass of earth, and the speed of its rotation, which determines the length of days and nights. All these features, and more, make earth the only known planet suitable for sustaining life.

How do the following texts relate to the events described in Genesis 1?

Isa. 44:24
  Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I [am] the LORD that maketh all [things]; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself; 

Isa. 45:12
I have made the earth, and created man upon it: I, even my hands, have stretched out the heavens, and all their host have I commanded. 

Jer. 51:15, 16
  51:15   He hath made the earth by his power, he hath established the world by his wisdom, and hath stretched out the heaven by his understanding. 
  51:16   When he uttereth his voice, there is a multitude of waters in the heavens; and he causeth the vapours to ascend from the ends of the earth: he maketh lightnings with rain, and bringeth forth the wind out of his treasures. 

Amos 4:13
    For, lo, he that formeth the mountains, and createth the wind, and declareth unto man what is his thought, that maketh the morning darkness, and treadeth upon the high places of the earth, The LORD, The God of hosts, is his name. 

Jonah 1:9
    And he said unto them, I am an Hebrew; and I fear the LORD, the God of heaven, which hath made the sea and the dry land. 

Zech. 12:1
    The burden of the word of the LORD for Israel, saith the LORD, which stretcheth forth the heavens, and layeth the foundation of the earth, and formeth the spirit of man within him. 

Think through the implications of our origins and why getting them right is so important to our understanding of who we are, why we are here, and what we can hope for in a world that, in and of itself, offers no hope at all.

We either were created by God or we were not. If we decide we were not, then we may as well throw the Bible away, because we reject its very beginning. And, we do so on what basis? The teachings of man? That are based on what, science?  No, when we look at the science of evolution, one need not be a Christian to know that it is unsupportable. It is a theory and it is full of holes. When we read Scripture, we are told that all "are without excuse". "For the invisible things of Him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse." Romans 1:20.

Last year Jim posted this in the Nature Forum. It is an example of what we are discussing. God is drawing all to Himself and man is indeed without excuse.

It's always interesting to see the secular world recognizing that there is something bigger "out there" than themselves. Here is an article about what happens when people experience such things when they look at the grand things of earth and the universe. Here is one sentence from the article.......  "Across three different experiments, they found that jaw-dropping moments made participants feel like they had more time available and made them more patient, less materialistic, and more willing to volunteer time to help"   Source

They are being drawn to God but just don't realize it. This reminds me of my first backpacking trip. My hiking partner and I were setting up camp when three young men walked into camp and started to pitch camp a little ways away. After talking to them for a few moments my friend made the comment to me that these young men love being outdoors and enjoying nature but they just don't understand what it is that draws them.

Psa 65:5  By terrible things in righteousness wilt thou answer us, O God of our salvation; who art the confidence of all the ends of the earth, and of them that are afar off upon the sea:
Psa 65:6 Which by his strength setteth fast the mountains; being girded with power:
Psa 65:7 Which stilleth the noise of the seas, the noise of their waves, and the tumult of the people.
Psa 65:8  They also that dwell in the uttermost parts are afraid at thy tokens: thou makest the outgoings of the morning and evening to rejoice.
Psa 65:9  Thou visitest the earth, and waterest it: thou greatly enrichest it with the river of God, which is full of water: thou preparest them corn, when thou hast so provided for it.
Psa 65:10  Thou waterest the ridges thereof abundantly: thou settlest the furrows thereof: thou makest it soft with showers: thou blessest the springing thereof.
Psa 65:11  Thou crownest the year with thy goodness; and thy paths drop fatness.
Psa 65:12  They drop upon the pastures of the wilderness: and the little hills rejoice on every side.
Psa 65:13 The pastures are clothed with flocks; the valleys also are covered over with corn; they shout for joy, they also sing.

Rom 1:20  For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Amen!!  Children believe what they are told in school and in their homes. But, when they become mature and examine evolution looking for truth, it is not hard to realize that we did not come from monkeys. They may see with their own eyes the perfection in creation that cannot come from random accidents of nature.

If we get creation wrong, then we are sitting on the wrong foundation of life. It is as a house built upon sand. There is no consistency in a lie. Sooner of later the sinner will discover that to reject truth is to reveal a distrust in God. When Eve rejected the admonition of God and ate the forbidden fruit, she thought God a liar. So it is with all who reject the plain simple statements of Scripture regarding the creation of man and the Earth. It is not wise to call God a liar. Such arrogance.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 09:06:16 PM »
THURSDAY January 24

Creation in the New Testament

Read Acts 17:22-31.

17:22   Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, [Ye] men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious. 
  17:23   For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you. 
  17:24   God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands; 
  17:25   Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things; 
  17:26   And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation; 
  17:27   That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us: 
  17:28   For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring. 
  17:29   Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device. 
  17:30   And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent: 
  17:31   Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by [that] man whom he hath ordained; [whereof] he hath given assurance unto all [men], in that he hath raised him from the dead. 

What were the circumstances of this sermon? After Paul had introduced his topic, what was the first topic he brought to these learned men? Vss. 24, 25. What does Paul say is the relationship between the Creator God and humans? Vss. 26-28.

The audience here no doubt included the two groups of philosophers known as Stoics and Epicureans. The Stoics affirmed the reality of design in nature, while the Epicureans denied it. Neither had a knowledge of the true God, but their arguments about design were similar to many of the arguments still discussed in our day.

The important point here is that, in his witness to these pagan thinkers and intellectuals, Paul reverts directly to the argument of the Lord as the Creator of all things and all humanity. Paul had little in common with these people; so, he went right to what they did have in common—the fact that they existed—and from that undeniable reality he sought to build his argument. Hence, we see Creation as, again, a crucial theme in Scripture.

Look at the following texts:

Matthew 19:4-6
  19:4   And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made [them] at the beginning made them male and female, 
  19:5   And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? 
  19:6   Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. 

Mark 2:27
  2:27   And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath: 

Luke 3:38
  3:38   Which was [the son] of Enos, which was [the son] of Seth, which was [the son] of Adam, which was [the son] of God. 

John 1:1-3
  1:1   In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 
  1:2   The same was in the beginning with God. 
  1:3   All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 

2 Corinthians 4:6
  4:6   For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to [give] the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 

Hebrews 4:4
  4:4   For he spake in a certain place of the seventh [day] on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. 

James 3:9
  3:9   Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God. 

2 Peter 3:5
  3:5   For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water: 

Jude 11, 14
  1:11   Woe unto them! for they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perished in the gainsaying of Core.   
  1:14   And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints.

What’s fascinating is that each one of these New Testament authors either directly or indirectly made reference to the Genesis Creation account, more evidence proving just how universally accepted the Genesis account of origins was to all the Bible writers.

Read Revelation 4:11 and 10:5, 6.

4:11   Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created. 
   10:5   And the angel which I saw stand upon the sea and upon the earth lifted up his hand to heaven, 
   10:6   And sware by him that liveth for ever and ever, who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer: 

What do the heavenly beings say about God’s creatorship?

Creation was not an accident but occurred by the will of God. The second passage contains a clear allusion to Exodus 20:11. "For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it." Once again, as in John 1:1-3, John shows his familiarity with, and confidence in, the Creation story. How foolish for us to do anything less.

Amen!  To do anything less would be to reject the Bible as truth. The lessons this quarter will be a blessing to those new to the faith. It is demonstrated from the Bible that God is clearly the creator of the Earth and of all creation. There are indeed others in the church who are not new to the faith who reject the plain statements of fact regarding creation. We leave them with God. Another blessing comes from better understanding ways in which we can present to those who are not in the church and who have been deceived by the false teachings of evolution. As did Paul attempt to persuade, we too may do so. In the end, Paul understood that spiritual things are spiritually discerned and he decided to work in a different manner. His work in Athens did not produce the results he had hoped for.

After leaving Athens and in Corinth he exclaimed "And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling. And my speech and my preaching [was] not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God." 1 Corinthians  2:1-5. 

We may be tempted to think that enticing words of man's wisdom and eloquence may suffice to convince others of the truth, but it would be better to understand as did Paul that conviction will come when the power of God's Spirit is relied upon to convince those who hold a wrong understanding. We need to keep Jesus in our hearts and minds as we labor with the erring. We need to be filled with His Spirit and ask that the Spirit open hearts to receive the truth. The harvest field is white and the workers are few. Let us pray that the Lord of the vineyard will send workers that we may hasten the soon coming of Jesus.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 07:33:18 AM »

FRIDAY January 25

Further Study: The Bible is a book about God and His relationship to us humans and our world. The events of Creation week are unique and supernatural. They are outside the realm of scientific inquiry for at least two reasons. First, they are singularities. Singularities are events that occur only once. Science has a difficult time dealing with singularities, because they cannot be repeated and tested under differing circumstances. Second, the Creation events were supernaturally caused. They were not the natural result of the way God sustains the Creation but were special, direct acts of God. Science deals only with secondary causes, and does not—at least as now practiced—accept any explanation that depends on God’s direct action. Because the Creation events are unique and supernatural, they lie outside the reach of science.

The importance of this point is that one’s view of origins has important implications for one’s view of human nature and self-identity.

Amen!  If we fail to understand that we were created in the image of God, with the perfection of moral character that had no bent towards sin, we would fail to understand the gospel whose purpose it is to restore in man that perfection of moral character. If we fail to understand that death is unnatural then we will fail to understand how wrong it is. Many today can view the lion killing the lamb and have no remorse. They believe it to be the natural progression of life, when in fact it is because of sin that anything dies on this Earth. If we fail to understand creation and accept the false science of evolution, then where is the need for a Savior?

Understanding our origins is so important that God had it placed as the first subject in the Bible, and the message of the Bible is based on the historicity of the Creation account. To claim that we can learn the true history of our world through science is to claim that it can be explained without appealing to any direct action by God, an error that has led to more error.

“Men will endeavor to explain from natural causes the work of creation, which God has never revealed. But human science cannot search out the secrets of the God of Heaven, and explain the stupendous works of creation, which were a miracle of almighty power, any sooner than it can show how God came into existence.”—Ellen G. White, The Spirit of Prophecy, vol. 1, p. 89.

Discussion Questions

Creation is a dominant theme throughout the entire Bible. Is there any evidence that Bible writers had different views of Creation or that any of them had doubts about the veracity of any part of Genesis? Why is this answer important?

Because some who call themselves Bible believing Christians deny the Genesis account of creation.

What reasons do you think someone might give to justify the rejection of the idea that nature is designed?

They give the false science taught in schools and some churches that man evolved from a single cell by random acts of mutation and natural selection. When a child or young person is sent by his parents off to school, it is often understood by the child that what they are being taught is truth, especially if it is a church school. Today, some young ones are being taught by those who are rabidly anti creation. They were taught in their schools the false science of evolution and now they in turn are dead set on teaching to their students that the Bible is wrong and science is right in regards the existence of man. Why would a Christian church allow such teachers into their schools? It is a failure of leadership in those churches.

Jesus endorsed the authority of Moses (Luke 16:29-31), including the story of Creation (Mark 2:27, 28; Matt. 19:4-6). Given this background and the example of Jesus, what should be our attitude toward the story of Creation?

A Christian's attitude toward the Genesis account of creation is based upon his understanding that the Bible is the Word of God. Some may say that through the long ages from Moses to Jesus that the writings got confused, but I think what today's lesson is pointing out is that Jesus and the rest of the Bible support the account written by Moses in the Book of Genesis.

There is an important truth that I have never heard taught in the church. I am sure that others have studied this out and I am hopeful that it will be presented in our current study before the quarter is over. How is it that we know the Earth is 6,000 years old plus or minus a few years? The world has given a name to that period of time prior to the writings of Moses. In truth that would be about the first 2668 years of Earth's history. We have no written account of that period of time except from the writings of Moses in the Book of Genesis. The world calls this the prehistoric period. It is not accurate because we have a very good account of that period of time given to us through inspiration and recorded by Moses.

If we know that Moses lived in the year 2668 after creation, then we have records from his day to ours. The computation of the age of the Earth is not a mystery. Some who call themselves Bible believing Christians deny the record given by Scripture. They refuse to accept the exact calculation that tells us Moses led the children of Abraham out of Egypt exactly 2668 years after the creation of the Earth.

As we continue our study, I am hopeful that the lessons will provide us with that information, if not, I will by the end of the quarter.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 09:45:09 AM »
I want to return to Tuesday's lesson and correct a thought that was presented in the lesson. It is important that we understand the Bible in its correct context.  If we do not, then we can misapply Scripture.

TUESDAY January 22

Creation in the Book of Job

Read Job 38:1-21

38:1   Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said, 
  38:2   Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge? 
  38:3   Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me. 
  38:4   Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. 
  38:5   Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it? 
  38:6   Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof; 
  38:7   When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy? 
  38:8   Or who shut up the sea with doors, when it brake forth, as if it had issued out of the womb? 
  38:9   When I made the cloud the garment thereof, and thick darkness a swaddlingband for it, 
  38:10   And brake up for it my decreed place, and set bars and doors, 
  38:11   And said, Hitherto shalt thou come, but no further: and here shall thy proud waves be stayed? 
  38:12   Hast thou commanded the morning since thy days; and caused the dayspring to know his place; 
  38:13   That it might take hold of the ends of the earth, that the wicked might be shaken out of it? 
  38:14   It is turned as clay to the seal; and they stand as a garment. 
  38:15   And from the wicked their light is withholden, and the high arm shall be broken. 
  38:16   Hast thou entered into the springs of the sea? or hast thou walked in the search of the depth? 
  38:17   Have the gates of death been opened unto thee? or hast thou seen the doors of the shadow of death? 
  38:18   Hast thou perceived the breadth of the earth? declare if thou knowest it all. 
  38:19   Where is the way where light dwelleth? and as for darkness, where is the place thereof, 
  38:20   That thou shouldest take it to the bound thereof, and that thou shouldest know the paths to the house thereof? 
  38:21   Knowest thou it, because thou wast then born? or because the number of thy days is great? 

Note the creation topics in the following verses. Vss. 4-7
Vss. 8-11 Vs. 12 Vs. 16 Vs. 19

It’s important to remember the context of the book of Job. Great tragedy struck, and Job was struggling to understand how this could happen to him, a faithful follower of God. In chapter 38 up through chapter 41, the Lord continues to talk about His creative power, all in response to Job’s pained questioning.

I agree that we must remember the context of the Book of Job. But, before we look at the context, let's look at a most important principle that is so very often overlooked by most teachers in Christian churches.  How does chapter 38 begin? While it is not enough to tell us the complete context, it is enough for us to understand that most who teach the Book of Job have done so erroneously. What does God think about those who teach error, even if unknowingly? Here is what He says in verses one and two: "Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said, Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?"  Don't pass over this thinking it not important. It not only helps to understand the context, but it also makes a point that all need to understand. God was not pleased with Job or anyone who "darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge." What does this mean? It means that those who "darkeneth His counsel by speaking things that are "without knowledge" are doing wrong. Many will object to my assertion, but they cannot sustain their objection when we understand the passage in its correct context. As I said, many are in error because they have listened to some who fail to teach this in the correct context. They have darkened God's Word without knowledge by so doing.

What is the context?

The lesson says "It’s important to remember the context of the book of Job. Great tragedy struck, and Job was struggling to understand how this could happen to him, a faithful follower of God. In chapter 38 up through chapter 41, the Lord continues to talk about His creative power, all in response to Job’s pained questioning."

Here are some verses that you may read to get an understanding of the context. This is not a study, for there are 42 chapters in Job. But, it will help to understand that the context is all about Job moaning and crying and stating things about God which are not true. Yes, Job was unfairly put upon by Satan, is that an excuse for sin? "All things work together for good to those who love God" and abide in Him. Job took his eyes off of Jesus and began to extoll his own righteousness. I understand how hard it was for Job, but shall we make excuses for his sin? We cannot. God has provided a remedy for our sin and we are to learn from Job's experience. God knows best and He allowed Satan to hurt Job. He also forgave Job and blessed him more than before, after Job repented.

1:20   Then Job arose, and rent his mantle, and shaved his head, and fell down upon the ground, and worshipped, 
  1:21   And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD. 

2:9   Then said his wife unto him, Dost thou still retain thine integrity? curse God, and die. 
  2:10   But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil?

6:4   For the arrows of the Almighty [are] within me, the poison whereof drinketh up my spirit: the terrors of God do set themselves in array against me

10:2   I will say unto God, Do not condemn me; show me wherefore thou contendest with me. 
  10:3   [Is it] good unto thee that thou shouldest oppress, that thou shouldest despise the work of thine hands, and shine upon the counsel of the wicked? 
  10:4   Hast thou eyes of flesh? or seest thou as man seeth? 
  10:5   [Are] thy days as the days of man? [are] thy years as man's days, 
  10:6   That thou inquirest after mine iniquity, and searchest after my sin? 
  10:7   Thou knowest that I am not wicked; and [there is] none that can deliver out of thine hand. 
  10:8   Thine hands have made me and fashioned me together round about; yet thou dost destroy me. 

19:6   Know now that God hath overthrown me, and hath compassed me with his net. 
  19:7   Behold, I cry out of wrong, but I am not heard: I cry aloud, but [there is] no judgment. 
  19:8   He hath fenced up my way that I cannot pass, and he hath set darkness in my paths. 
  19:9   He hath stripped me of my glory, and taken the crown [from] my head. 
  19:10   He hath destroyed me on every side, and I am gone: and mine hope hath he removed like a tree. 
  19:11   He hath also kindled his wrath against me, and he counteth me unto him as [one of] his enemies. 

The context that is important for us to understand is that God is asking Job questions in chapters 38 through 41, that will reveal to Job that he is not who he thinks he is. Job has stated over and over that it is God that is oppressing him.  Job is being rebuked by God so that he will see his sin of "self righteousness".  In that context, God reveals much truth about creation. We can take away from the chapters much truth, but if we miss the lesson by seeing creation and not the "righteousness of Christ" and our great need, we suffer great loss. All must be centered in our Lord and Saviour. It is the character of God that is to be seen in the Book of Job. We are to not only be His witnesses of that character, but we are to be very careful as to what we say when we speak. We are not to bring into reproach the character of our God.

Let us close this lesson with the Words of God to Job that will correct the misunderstanding that many have regarding the Book of Job. Job did not curse God, as Satan claimed he would, but Job fell from grace and justified himself rather than upholding the righteousness of Christ as the source of all goodness.

First God sent a man filled with His Spirit to reprove Job. "So these three men ceased to answer Job, because he was righteous in his own eyes. Then was kindled the wrath of Elihu the son of Barachel the Buzite, of the kindred of Ram: against Job was his wrath kindled, because he justified himself rather than God." Job 32:1,2.

Then God Himself repeated the reproof.
  40:1   Moreover the LORD answered Job, and said, 
  40:2   Shall he that contendeth with the Almighty instruct Him? he that reproveth God, let him answer it. 
  40:3   Then Job answered the LORD, and said, 
  40:4   Behold, I am vile; what shall I answer thee? I will lay mine hand upon my mouth. 
  40:5   Once have I spoken; but I will not answer: yea, twice; but I will proceed no further. 
  40:6   Then answered the LORD unto Job out of the whirlwind, and said, 
  40:7   Gird up thy loins now like a man: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me. 
  40:8   Wilt thou also disannul my judgment? wilt thou condemn me, that thou mayest be righteous? 
  40:9   Hast thou an arm like God? or canst thou thunder with a voice like him? 
  40:10   Deck thyself now [with] majesty and excellency; and array thyself with glory and beauty. 
  40:11   Cast abroad the rage of thy wrath: and behold every one [that is] proud, and abase him. 
  40:12   Look on every one [that is] proud, [and] bring him low; and tread down the wicked in their place. 
  40:13   Hide them in the dust together; [and] bind their faces in secret. 
  40:14   Then will I also confess unto thee that thine own right hand can save thee.

To further understand the context, go back and read the many chapters where Job was bemoaning his plight and saying things about God and his own righteousness that were not correct. Yes, there are a lot of beautiful truths expressed by Job, but that does not undo the error nor the sin. We are sympathetic to Job's situation, but we must not call into question the Words of God and His messenger Elihu.  Job sinned and repented. In that context we find in chapters 38 through 41 much truth regarding creation, a creation that Job had nothing to do with.

We have a study on the Book of Job. The important lesson is present truth. We have not touched on that. Job had withstood much before he fell. What was the instrument that Satan used to tempt Job wherein he fell?  Read more on Present Truth in the Book of Job

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 10:21:39 PM »
We need not wait until the quarterly brings it up if someone else has the answer. How do we know how old the Earth is?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 11:46:05 PM »
It may be of interest to some of our Bible scholars that science is quickly catching up with the Bible.  The ability to do DNA testing on ancient humans is bringing great surprises to the society of evolutionists. They continue to dance around their discoveries, but the evidence accumulates that is destroying their cherished theories. "Scientists sequencing nuclear and mitochondrial DNA extracted from the leg of an early modern human from Tianyuan Cave near Beijing say the Tianyuan human shared a common origin with the ancestors of many present-day Asians and indigenous American peoples, a release from the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany, said Tuesday.  Humans with morphology similar to present-day humans appear in the fossil record across Eurasia between 40,000 and 50,000 years ago, but the genetic relationships between these early modern humans and present-day human populations had not yet been established, researchers said."  source

What does this mean? Some believe that this new information ought to put to rest the idea that Neanderthals were other than Homo Sapiens. Here is a comment that reveals the predicament the evolutionists are facing. "I am not sure why these discoveries haven't ended this debate. If the populations of Neanderthals and Denisovans interbred with what has always ben referred to as Homo Sapiens and produced fertile offspring they were the same species by definition. That is the significant discovery in the DNA research."  source

I would not waste time reading the article unless you are not familiar with how mixed up these "scientists" are.  They have many different ideas all vying for the supremacy. So sad when they are so very wrong. Being a Christian and  having the only accurate record of "prehistoric" times makes our lives so much easier. We know who we are and where we came from, who we serve, and where we are going.

Wally

• Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2013, 03:19:44 AM »
Another interesting thing I just read in Creation magazine is that they're finding that there is much less "junk" DNA than previously thought, and there is speculation that they may eventually find that there is no junk DNA.  Evolutionists have always believed that "junk" DNA was left over from our "evolutionary past."  Some of them are skeptical of the studies that show the functionality of most DNA.  This just underscores the fanatical commitment some of them have to their little cult.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Wally

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2013, 03:35:12 AM »
We need not wait until the quarterly brings it up if someone else has the answer. How do we know how old the Earth is?

The Biblical genealogies don't give us much wiggle room.  There earth can't be much more than 6000 years old because the genealogies don't allow for it, even if there are a few missing names.  And Ellen White, of course, specifically states that the earth is 6000 years old.

There are many methods of determining the ages of various artifacts and fossils.  I'd have to go look them up, but they all indicate an earth that is less than 10,000 years old.  Fossils, most of which are presumed to be millions of years old, contain Carbon 14, which has a upper limit of detectability of 50,000 years.  In other words, there should be no detectible C 14 in fossils, if they are really millions of years old.  Evolutionists have not yet presented an plausible explanation for this.  They might claim contamination, but to claim that all of the millions of fossils which have been discovered are contaminated is really far-fetched.  The radiometric dating methods which claim to give us dates of millions or billions of years for rocks and minerals are notoriously unreliable.  There are also things like the regression of the moon and the slowing of earths rotation which don't allow for millions of years.  The moon is moving away from the earth at about 2" a year.  That means that if the earth is 4 billion years old, the moon would have been only about 125,000 miles away from the earth at the beginning.  Think about what that would do to the tides.  But if the earth is only 6000 years old, it has only moved about 1000' away, which wouldn't affect the tides much--and that's assuming the present rate of regression is the same as it was at the beginning.  I suspect its regression is part of the curse, and was not part of the original "very good" creation.

So, while we cannot prove that the earth is only 6000 years old, we have the evidence on our side. 
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Robert L

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2013, 06:49:26 AM »
Amen!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2013, 08:16:12 AM »

The Biblical genealogies don't give us much wiggle room.  There earth can't be much more than 6000 years old because the genealogies don't allow for it, even if there are a few missing names.  And Ellen White, of course, specifically states that the earth is 6000 years old.

There are many methods of determining the ages of various artifacts and fossils.  I'd have to go look them up, but they all indicate an earth that is less than 10,000 years old.  Fossils, most of which are presumed to be millions of years old, contain Carbon 14, which has a upper limit of detectability of 50,000 years.  In other words, there should be no detectible C 14 in fossils, if they are really millions of years old.  Evolutionists have not yet presented an plausible explanation for this.  They might claim contamination, but to claim that all of the millions of fossils which have been discovered are contaminated is really far-fetched.  The radiometric dating methods which claim to give us dates of millions or billions of years for rocks and minerals are notoriously unreliable.  There are also things like the regression of the moon and the slowing of earths rotation which don't allow for millions of years.  The moon is moving away from the earth at about 2" a year.  That means that if the earth is 4 billion years old, the moon would have been only about 125,000 miles away from the earth at the beginning.  Think about what that would do to the tides.  But if the earth is only 6000 years old, it has only moved about 1000' away, which wouldn't affect the tides much--and that's assuming the present rate of regression is the same as it was at the beginning.  I suspect its regression is part of the curse, and was not part of the original "very good" creation.

So, while we cannot prove that the earth is only 6000 years old, we have the evidence on our side.

We cannot prove the Earth is 6,000 years old to an unbeliever, but to those who profess to believe the Bible, we can. You have answered the question, Wally. The Bible is very specific regarding the genealogies.  World history is pretty good at setting dates after what they call the "pre-historic" period. Israel kept very good records of their history and is set down in Scripture.  The issue boils down to the "pre-historic" period where the world says the Earth is billions of years old and man is at least 70,000 years old and apes and other created beings go back millions of years, and so on. The Bible puts and end to all such speculating by non-believers in the church and out of the church. The genealogies in Genesis tell us to the year when the flood happened and when the Exodus took place. That takes us out of the "pre-historic" period into the days of Moses which is only 1332 years before Christ.

A rough count from Abraham to Christ is given not in years, but in generations. The Bible says that there were 42 generations from Abraham to Christ. At 30 years per generation that would come to 1260 years. Abraham was born 1948 years after creation. 1948 and 1260 is 3208 until Christ. From that calculation the Earth would be 5200 years old plus or minus.  That is just a rough calculation that sets a generation at 30 years.  During Abraham's time that would be too low. Working backwards from a 6,000 year old Earth, we would calculate an average generation to be 48.8 years.  Abraham's wife is not a good indicator of the age at first birth because she was said to be past her bearing years when she gave birth to Isaac, the son of promise.  If we go to the birth of Jacob (Israel), we find that Isaac was 60 years old when he was born. We can also estimate the length of a generation by computing this between the "carrying away into Babylon and Christ" which the Bible says is 14 generations.  We know that 457 BC is the re-building of the walls of Jerusalem and that the captivity was 70 years. So, a rough calcuation comes to 527 divided by 14 generations which is 35.7 years for a generation. Since this is going to be a lower number than the average because a generation was longer at Isaac's day, we can estimate the average be around 40 years. Let's computer 40 years per geneartion times 42 generations between Abraham and Christ.  1680 years.  Abraham was born 1948 years after creation and 1680 years or 42 generations between Abraham and Christ would be 3628 after creation to Christ.  This would put the Earth at 5641 today. That is a far cry from millions of years or even tens of thousands of years that some professing Christians believe to be the age of the Earth and the first living creatures. This was just a rough calculation that does not look at the dating that is given for Israel and the archeology that dates discoveries in the period of time after Moses and before Christ. 

Using Bible facts, we can get a better idea of the real basis for carbon dating.  2342bc is the correct dating of the flood. What ever the carbon dating says about the creatures that were fossilized during the flood, that is the accurate date for carbon dating if there is any benefit to it at all.  Dinosaurs perished in the flood, so the carbon dating that puts these creatures at millions of years is ludicrous. As has been shared, there is no way to reproduce the these things that happened 4300 years ago. Science has theorized these things and they treat them as fact when they are not.  Men and women are "wise" in themselves and have believed a lie.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2013, 08:57:30 AM »
A message from Pastor Wilson on this week's lesson.

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2013, 01:29:34 AM »
Is there any creationist astrophysics data out there that mathematically calculates the position of this solar system and sequentially goes back to 4004 BC and tries going further back ?

When I was a new SDA I read a pamphlet that a British astronomer was showing star positions to Queen Elizabeth, with dates & tied occurrences to events in British history, them making it a hobby/obsession kept up the computations till 4004 BC , further back in time from that the pamphlet said mathematically our solar system had no place to be.

I have not found the tract again, has anyone else read it ?
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2013, 08:09:55 AM »
That is interesting. I wonder how he could come to such a conclusion?

Wally

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2013, 08:41:01 AM »
I tend to be rather skeptical of such claims.  For one thing, we cannot know for sure that 4004 BC is the exact date of creation.  There is some wiggle room in the genealogies that could put it off of that date by a hundred years or more, depending on whether or not one accepts the inclusion of Cainan between Arphaxad and Sala, in Luke.  I believe Ussher was close, but we have no inspired commentary on an exact date for creation, and so it must remain in the realm of speculation.  I'm not mathematician or astronomer, but I can't see how one could deduce the presence or absence of our solar system 6000 years ago, based purely on mathematics.