Author Topic: First Quarter--2013--SDA SS LESSON 1--Jesus, Creator of Heaven and Earth  (Read 15491 times)

Wally

• Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Re: First Quarter--2013--SDA SS LESSON 1--Jesus, Creator of Heaven and Earth
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 03:19:43 PM »
You're absolutely right, Peter.  A clear example of the disjointed and conratictory thinking among evolutionists is the fact that one of the first principles that is taught in high school biology is the law of biogenesis--life comes only from life.  And they teach you that spontaneous generation was disproven by Louis Pasteur.  And then they proceed to teach you all about evolution and how life came from non-living material.  Say what?  And peope believe them!  Crazy.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 08:22:55 AM »
THURSDAY January 3

The Creator Among Us

Read
John 2:7-11
  2:7   Jesus saith unto them, Fill the waterpots with water. And they filled them up to the brim. 
  2:8   And he saith unto them, Draw out now, and bear unto the governor of the feast. And they bare [it]. 
  2:9   When the ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and knew not whence it was: (but the servants which drew the water knew;) the governor of the feast called the bridegroom, 
  2:10   And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: [but] thou hast kept the good wine until now. 
  2:11   This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him. 

6:8-13
  6:8   One of his disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter's brother, saith unto him, 
  6:9   There is a lad here, which hath five barley loaves, and two small fishes: but what are they among so many? 
  6:10   And Jesus said, Make the men sit down. Now there was much grass in the place. So the men sat down, in number about five thousand. 
  6:11   And Jesus took the loaves; and when he had given thanks, he distributed to the disciples, and the disciples to them that were set down; and likewise of the fishes as much as they would. 
  6:12   When they were filled, he said unto his disciples, Gather up the fragments that remain, that nothing be lost. 
  6:13   Therefore they gathered [them] together, and filled twelve baskets with the fragments of the five barley loaves, which remained over and above unto them that had eaten. 

9:1-34
  9:1   And as [Jesus] passed by, he saw a man which was blind from [his] birth. 
  9:2   And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? 
  9:3   Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him. 
  9:4   I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work. 
  9:5   As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world. 
  9:6   When he had thus spoken, he spat on the ground, and made clay of the spittle, and he anointed the eyes of the blind man with the clay, 
  9:7   And said unto him, Go, wash in the pool of Siloam, (which is by interpretation, Sent.) He went his way therefore, and washed, and came seeing. 
  9:8   The neighbours therefore, and they which before had seen him that he was blind, said, Is not this he that sat and begged? 
  9:9   Some said, This is he: others [said], He is like him: [but] he said, I am [he]. 
  9:10   Therefore said they unto him, How were thine eyes opened? 
  9:11   He answered and said, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed mine eyes, and said unto me, Go to the pool of Siloam, and wash: and I went and washed, and I received sight. 
  9:12   Then said they unto him, Where is he? He said, I know not. 
  9:13   They brought to the Pharisees him that aforetime was blind. 
  9:14   And it was the sabbath day when Jesus made the clay, and opened his eyes. 
  9:15   Then again the Pharisees also asked him how he had received his sight. He said unto them, He put clay upon mine eyes, and I washed, and do see. 
  9:16   Therefore said some of the Pharisees, This man is not of God, because he keepeth not the sabbath day. Others said, How can a man that is a sinner do such miracles? And there was a division among them. 
  9:17   They say unto the blind man again, What sayest thou of him, that he hath opened thine eyes? He said, He is a prophet. 
  9:18   But the Jews did not believe concerning him, that he had been blind, and received his sight, until they called the parents of him that had received his sight. 
  9:19   And they asked them, saying, Is this your son, who ye say was born blind? how then doth he now see? 
  9:20   His parents answered them and said, We know that this is our son, and that he was born blind: 
  9:21   But by what means he now seeth, we know not; or who hath opened his eyes, we know not: he is of age; ask him: he shall speak for himself. 
  9:22   These [words] spake his parents, because they feared the Jews: for the Jews had agreed already, that if any man did confess that he was Christ, he should be put out of the synagogue. 
  9:23   Therefore said his parents, He is of age; ask him. 
  9:24   Then again called they the man that was blind, and said unto him, Give God the praise: we know that this man is a sinner. 
  9:25   He answered and said, Whether he be a sinner [or no], I know not: one thing I know, that, whereas I was blind, now I see. 
  9:26   Then said they to him again, What did he to thee? how opened he thine eyes? 
  9:27   He answered them, I have told you already, and ye did not hear: wherefore would ye hear [it] again? will ye also be his disciples? 
  9:28   Then they reviled him, and said, Thou art his disciple; but we are Moses' disciples. 
  9:29   We know that God spake unto Moses: [as for] this [fellow], we know not from whence he is. 
  9:30   The man answered and said unto them, Why herein is a marvellous thing, that ye know not from whence he is, and [yet] he hath opened mine eyes. 
  9:31   Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth. 
  9:32   Since the world began was it not heard that any man opened the eyes of one that was born blind. 
  9:33   If this man were not of God, he could do nothing. 
  9:34   They answered and said unto him, Thou wast altogether born in sins, and dost thou teach us? And they cast him out. 

What do these texts reveal about the creative power of God?

Each of these miracles gives us a glimpse of God’s power over the material world that He Himself created.

First, what kind of process would be required to change water directly into wine? None that we know of. Indeed, it took an act outside of the laws of nature, at least as we now know them, to do what Jesus did here.

In the miracle of the fish and loaves, Jesus started with five loaves and two small fish and ended with enough to feed a multitude and have 12 baskets of leftovers. All the food was made of atoms and molecules. At the end, there were many times more atoms and molecules of food than when Jesus started to feed the crowd. From where did the additional molecules come, if not by the supernatural intervention of God?

Furthermore, what physical changes occurred to the blind man when he was healed? He was blind from birth; thus, his brain had never been stimulated to form images from the messages sent by the eye through the optic nerve. So, his brain had to be rewired in order to process the incoming information, form images, and interpret their meaning. Next, there was something wrong with the eye itself. Perhaps some photoreceptor molecules were produced incorrectly as a result of a mutation in his DNA. Or perhaps some mutation had occurred at birth in the genes that control the development of the parts of the eye-the retina, optic nerve, lens, etc. Or perhaps some mechanical damage had occurred that prevented the eye from functioning properly.

Whatever the details of the man’s blindness, the words of Jesus caused molecules to form in appropriate places, forming functional receptors, neuronal connections, and brain cells so that light entering the eye would form an image, and the man would have the ability to recognize images that he had never before seen.

Miracles are wonderful when they happen, but what is the danger of making your faith dependent upon them? Upon what, then, must our faith depend?

What is religion all about? Is it not to change us? Our faith is dependent upon our knowledge of God. If we do not trust Him, then why would we trust His Word? The Bible tells us where faith comes from. "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." Romans 10:17. It is the Word that reveals God, His love and His power. When we know God, we will love God. We will trust Him and His Word. His promises, we will claim for ourselves as we are fully surrendered to Him. Understanding the character of God, knowing His goodness, Satan chose to follow his own selfish, independent will. This choice was final. There was no more that God could do to save him. But we have been deceived; our minds have been darkened by Satan's lies. The height and depth of the love of God we do not know. For humanity there is hope in a knowledge of God's love. By beholding His character we are drawn back to God. Our heart must be cleansed. God's law must be written upon it. This is a supernatural event just as was the opening of the blind man's eyes.

Our faith is not dependent upon miracles, it is dependent upon our knowledge of God. Having said that, miracles do increase our faith. The greatest miracle of all is God's ability to change my mind, my heart. The Holy Spirit opens our minds to the truth as it is in Jesus. As we behold His loveliness, we are transformed into His likeness. This miracle experienced in the life increases faith beyond the faith that led one to accept Jesus as Saviour. Having experienced God's grace, man has a song to sing that even the holy angels cannot sing, for they have never known grace.

Why is it that ao many professing to be Christians refuse to acknowledge that we need to be changed in order to enter heaven, that we must be reconciled to God and filled with His Spirit?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 11:25:42 PM »
FRIDAY January 4

Further Study: “The work of creation can never be explained by science. What science can explain the mystery of life? “The theory that God did not create matter when He brought the world into existence is without foundation. In the formation of our world, God was not indebted to pre-existing matter. On the contrary, all things, material or spiritual, stood up before the Lord Jehovah at His voice and were created for His own purpose. The heavens and all the host of them, the earth and all things therein, are not only the work of His hand; they came into existence by the breath of His mouth.”-Ellen G. White, Testimonies for the Church, vol. 8, pp. 258, 259. “Just how God accomplished the work of creation he has never revealed to men; human science cannot search out the secrets of the Most High. His creative power is as incomprehensible as his existence.”-Ellen G. White, Patriarchs and Prophets, p. 113.
Discussion Questions

In class, discuss your answer to Sunday’s final question.

Why is a supernatural Creator, One who exists above and beyond the creation, the only logical explanation for the Creation?

Science talks about what it calls “anthropic coincidences” (from the Greek word anthropos for “man”), the incredibly fine-tuned balance of forces in nature that make it possible for human life to exist. Notice, though, the built-in bias revealed in the word coincidences. If you don’t believe in God, you have to attribute these amazing balances to mere coincidence. Why is the belief that these balances were the product of a Creator God a more reasonable explanation than to simply call them “coincidences”?

Consider the love of the Creator as He formed Adam and Eve and provided them with a beautiful garden home, knowing that He Himself would suffer and die on Calvary at the hands of the race He was creating. What do we learn about God’s love from the decision that He made to go ahead with the creation anyway?

I am not sure that we can draw many conclusions about God's love for man before he was created. Yes, God would love humanity, even knowing we would sin. It is more of a testimony of His love that He still loves us when we crucify afresh His Son. Or that knowing what we would do to His Son, our heavenly father allowed His Son to come to this earth, a helpless little babe!! At the risk of losing Him!!! What a wonder!! When God created Adam, He had more in mind than creating us because He would love us. God had a problem with sin in the universe when He created man. But, yes, the creation of the Earth and all that God made for man, is indeed a testimony of His love for us. And, our heavenly Father and Jesus covenanted before creation that if man sinned, Jesus would become our Saviour. The plan of salvation had been laid before the creation of the earth, for Christ is “the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.” Yet it was a struggle, even with the King of the universe, to yield up His Son to die for the guilty race. The love of God for a world that did not love Him! Who can know the depths of that love that “passeth knowledge”?

How does the “Big Bang” theory compare with the Creation statement in Genesis 1:1? Might the “Big Bang” be a description of the way in which the universe came into existence at God’s Word?

The "Big Bang" as I understand it has nothing to do with a creator. Those who put forth the idea are antagonistic to Biblical creation.

What issues or problems do you see in this idea? Why would it be dangerous to link our theology to any scientific theory, especially when science so often changes?

It is not dangerous to link our theology to all scientific theories. While it may be a theory, that does not make it invalid. I examine scientific medical studies and find that some are very very good. Most are not. Some have bits of truth. The ones that are correct and in harmony with Scripture we can point to as an example of true science. Science need not be anti God. True science is in perfect harmony with God and His Word. Theories that are based on true science and come to a right conclusion, may be called theory by science, but we can at times know that it is in fact truth because the Bible tells us so. Worldly science often has to correct their theories, but when God said that He created Adam, it is not a theory of creation. It is a fact.

If modern science ever theorizes that the Earth was created six thousand years ago, we will be the first to accept their theory as truth.  It seems to me that we have scientists that are making great progress in dissolving the theory of evolution and pointing to a young earth based upon science.

We look forward to this quarter's lessons that we might learn more of what science has discovered to prove a young earth.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 03:36:47 AM »
The plan of salvation had been laid before the creation of the earth, for Christ is “the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.” Yet it was a struggle, even with the King of the universe, to yield up His Son to die for the guilty race. The love of God for a world that did not love Him! Who can know the depths of that love that “passeth knowledge”?

Amen. It is beyond comprehending.

For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Wally

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 02:18:25 PM »

We look forward to this quarter's lessons that we might learn more of what science has discovered to prove a young earth.[/color]

And there is much evidence that the earth is less than 10,000 years old; but it is ignored or explained away by the cult leaders of evolution.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Wally

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 04:21:20 PM »
For those who have them, this would be a good time to watch The Genesis Conflict series by Walter Veith.  It goes along with the subject for this quarter.  It's been many years since I watched them, so I started watching them a few weeks ago.  There is a lot that I had forgotten.  Very interesting material.

colporteur

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 04:32:44 PM »
Lesson 1 *December 29-January 4

Jesus, Creator of Heaven and Earth

SUNDAY December 30

In the Beginning

“In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth” (Gen. 1:1).

There are many deep truths in that simple text, one of the most profound being that the universe itself had a beginning. While that idea might not seem so radical to us today, it goes against the long-held belief in an eternally existing creation. Not until the twentieth century, when the “Big Bang” model of origins took hold, did the notion that the universe had a beginning gain general acceptance. Until then many believed that it had always existed. Many people resisted the concept of the universe having been created because that implied some sort of Creator. (In fact, the name “Big Bang” was intended to mock the notion of a created universe.) But the evidence that the universe had a beginning has become so strong that nearly all scientists have accepted it, at least for now (scientific views, even those once deemed sacrosanct, are often changed or refuted).

Read Hebrews 11:3. What does that tell us about God and the creation of the universe?

I suppose this depends on how you define "the universe."  I consider the universe more than our immediate heaven and earth or Milky Way but exhaust less distance and space. I consider God part of the universe howbeit not in a pantheistic way. I suppose this could end in a dead end physics collision. Is nothing still the universe ?
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Wally

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 05:26:06 PM »
You raise an interesting question, cp.  I've always thought of the universe as everything that God created, everything in existence, the entire cosmos, as far as the Hubble Telescope can see, and beyond.  Interstellar space is part of that, so it must be part of the universe.  It looks empty to us, but from what I've read, there are particles out there, and there is the solar wind from our sun, and, presumably, from other stars.

That fact that it had a beginning is indisputable, but the Big Bang is not compatible with the Biblical account of origins, because it says that God spake and it was done; creation ex nihilo.  The Big Bang theory postulates an extremely dense bit of matter called the "singularity"  (but they can't tell us where it came from  ::) ), which spontaneously exploded and arranged itself into stars, planets, etc., and finally evolved into to cp and his monkey cousins.  Ellen White says that God was not dependent on pre-existing matter when He created.  And then there is the small matter of the clearly observable laws of physics which state that things go from order to disorder--the exact opposite of what would have had to have happened with the Big Bang.  Not very logical--or scientific.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2013, 06:09:42 AM »
You raise an interesting question, cp.  I've always thought of the universe as everything that God created, everything in existence, the entire cosmos, as far as the Hubble Telescope can see, and beyond.

Yes, I believe that most consider the universe everything. That would by definition include all that is in the universe, including God. And therein we find a difficulty.

When I was converted, the issue of where we came from was settled, God created Adam and we all are his offspring. How we came into being was settled, it is revealed in Genesis. How the universe came into being, if we are going to define the universe as all that is, is another matter. It was settled for me very quickly. If there is nothing in Scripture to reveal to us how all of the universe came into being, then it is not for us to know. When we say "all" that includes all. Here we can get lost very quickly, for it is beyond our minds to comprehend. "All" includes the Maker. How can you have a universe and exclude what was there before there was anything? That is an impossible question to contemplate. Our minds are far too small. It is like asking an ant to tell us how the sun came into being and what is going to happen to Satan. It is beyond the ability of the ant to answer. So it is with us, and any discussion about when the universe was created or what was here before it was created and if there was nothing, then where did God live? These questions need to be put out of our minds. Today, most do not even understand what Jesus meant when He told Nicodemus that he must be born of the Spirit, for that which is born of the Spirit is Spirit and that which is born of the flesh is flesh. Those things which have been given to us are for us to know. God loves us and wants to restore us to a living relationship with Him. In order to do this, we need to learn of Him, of His character. This is where we are to spend much of our time in study.

In another discussion we are looking at the "eternal torment" that many professing Christians teach. They believe that God is going to burn the unrepentant wicked for eternity. It is the one doctrine that I try to discuss with those who are interested in truth, but have little understanding of who God is. God's character has been smeared by the devil. If he can keep humanity from knowing who God is, then he has succeeded in interfering with the work of reconciliation which is to be out great work. If the professing Christian believes that God is going to burn someone in hell for eternity because he lived a life of sin for 70 years, then their picture of God will often keep them from loving Him supremely. It is hard to love someone who could be so unjust. That false teaching greatly misrepresents the character of our God. He is perfectly just and His character is love. He will not excuse sin, but He will punish it if we do not accept the help that He has provided at great expense in His Son. That punishment will be just. It will not be eternal burning in Hell.

The teaching of God's character of love and justice, and representing it in our lives is to be our work. The lessons this quarter will be a help in understanding why the doctrine of creation is important to us and how we can help those who do not yet trust the Bible account. The false teaching that the Earth is millions of years old and that we came from monkeys is full of error. If we can help others see the lies involved, then the ones who are seeking truth will have an opportunity to turn to the Bible rather than the wisdom of man, which is foolishness. That this great lie has entered in some manner into professing Christian churches, is another reason for us to have a reason from science that unmasks the lie of an "old Earth." It is very sad to say, but the Bible account in Genesis is even derided by some in responsible positions in our own church. They are a very few, but they have been allowed to continue to hold positions of influence when actively opposing the Bible account of creation. This ought not be, for the teaching of creation as the Bible presents it, is important. This can be seen by the absurd teaching of evolution which cannot exist with the truth of a young Earth that is 6,000 years old. Before the quarter is over, we will present Bible truth that supports the Genesis account of a young Earth. It will help to increase our faith in Scripture and provide us with sound evidence that the Earth was created just as Genesis states. This will enable all who believe that the Bible is God's Word to see the consistency in the Bible account of creation from Genesis to Revelation.