Author Topic: Gelatin is Dangerous  (Read 24037 times)

Suzanne

Gelatin is Dangerous
« on: June 04, 2001, 02:59:00 PM »
Gelatin is an animal protein that comes from the hides, bones, cartilage, tendons, and skin of cows, pigs and horses. It is what makes Jell-O gel and gummy bears soft and pliable. It is also used to thicken some yogurts, ice creams and other foods. It's  in the capsules, gel caps, and coatings of many over-the counter supplements and prescription drugs....

Hoping to put consumers, worried about cattle and mad cow disease at ease, Clair Regan of Kraft Foods, announced, "We use mostly pork gelatin to make our Jell-O."

Agar vs. GelatinAgar, made from seaweed, works similarly to gelatin, with a few key differences. It sets at room temperature and can be boiled and reheated withouit losing its gelling ability. (Not so with gelatin).<P>Agar is available as bars (called kanten), powder, and flakes. Bars, the purest form, are somewhat labor-intensive and not widely available. Powder has great thickening ability and dissolves quickly. Use one tablespoon per cup of liquid.

Note: The gelling power of agar is affected by acidity--lemon dessert filling requires twice the normal amount of powder. Also, fruits that contain certain enzymes, such as pineapple, will impair agar's ability to gel.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Gelatin is Dangerous
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2001, 03:11:00 PM »
Thank you, Sister Suzanne. We must read the labels for anything we put in our mouths. As I understand it, the U.S. allowed gelatin to come in from Britain.  

Should we keep to ourselves what we know about the transmission of animal diseases to humans? How would I feel if the information was kept from my family and me?

Richard

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Suzanne

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2001, 05:26:00 PM »
Consumer beware: Many of the low-fat and no-fat margarine and oleo substitutes contain gelatin. Read the labels!

Also some products sold as yogurt are merely milk with gelatin added.

SS

[This message has been edited by Suzanne Sutton (edited 08-12-2001).]

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2003, 05:07:00 PM »
Gelatin - a meat protein used in products like yogurt, alcohol, and capsules for vitamins and herbs can be a transmission route for CJD, the human variant for BSE, "Mad Cow" disease.

[This message has been edited by Richard Myers (edited 02-03-2005).]

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Suzanne

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2003, 11:04:00 AM »
Ellen White notes that the time will come when we will have to give up all animal foods. If we are not already there we are certainly heading in that direction.

"Vegetable" gelatin capsules are available at the health food store. I empty certain capsulated supplements into a vegetable capsule. Yes, I know this is not really ideal but it may be the next best thing. I always try to purchase "vegetarian" supplements and some offer "vegetarian" capsules.

About alcohol, this is just one more reason to let it alone.

~Suzanne~

[This message has been edited by Suzanne Sutton (edited 05-15-2003).]

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2003, 07:41:00 PM »
Why would they ever put gelatin in yogert. Whatever need could it fill??

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

WendyForsyth

• http://
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2003, 01:07:00 AM »
It makes the yogurt solidify. Naturally made yogurt not so thick and firm as store bought. Is is more on the runny side and quite delicious as well I might add. Made fresh with fresh ingredients it is naturally sweet and tart without sugar, fruit, or other things added.

God bless,
WendyF

I have no doubt that God considers you to be one of His friends; otherwise He would not trust you with so many crosses, sufferings and humiliations. Crosses are God's means of drawing souls closer to Himself.

Fenelon

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2003, 12:21:00 PM »
For many there is a lack of understanding of how diseased animals have become. We have long ago reached the point where milk and eggs have become dangerous. But, it is not only milk and eggs, but all animal products as was prophesied many years ago. Ellen White said that "soon" the day would come.

Gelatin is an interesting substance that many do not know comes from animal bones. It is good to know it is an animal product and should be avoided. For those who think that they may still use animal products, let them consider this. The Mad Cow Disease in England has reached around the world. Yes, there has been long before Mad Cow Disease, Mad Sheep Disease in many countries including the U.S., but as an example of how Mad Cows have gone around the world we need to look at gelatin.

Made from cow bones it can harbor BSE (Mad Cow). So you would think that the U.S. would ban all bovine products from England into the U.S. No, they did not. They allowed an exception for gelatin. They listened to the gelatin industry and relied on their story that in the processing of the bovine material the BSE (prion) was deactivated.

It is found that this is not the case. So, in 1997 there was an adjustment made to suggest that bovine material from BSE countries not be allowed in the U.S. even for gelatin.

God loves us and has provided the light that the world needs. England and other European countries have access to the light God has given. If heeded none would have contracted Mad Cow Disease. The time has come for the church to take up it's responsibilities and alert the world as to the dangers from animal products. Americans are not immune to the problems. BSE may have been transmitted through gelatin many years ago. The latency period can be many years.

Spongiform disease (mad cow, scrapie, KJD, CWD) is rampant in America and throughout the world. It is time to encourage others that God has given a diet that is superior and will not only suport our health, but protect us from what is coming upon the world.

WendyForsyth

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2003, 12:27:00 AM »
The good news about yogurt is that you can make gelatin free yogurt from homemade soy milk that is very delicious and I believe is still healthy. You are very right brother Richard. There is no time to mess around with the message of truth now. It is truly now or never.

wf

I have no doubt that God considers you to be one of His friends; otherwise He would not trust you with so many crosses, sufferings and humiliations. Crosses are God's means of drawing souls closer to Himself.

Fenelon

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2003, 09:46:00 AM »
The thought of not eating any meat is very needed now days. But the idea of gelatin is even stronger because this does not just come from meat but it is a pig product. I have been told this since I was a child. And as a adult I have called and asked on caps for example, and told right out that it was a pig product. So if meat don't move some, maybe eating something unclean will. We indeed do need to be making important decisions as we learn. I have only learned lately that gelatin was in caps. So we live and learn as we walk with the Lord. Smile

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2003, 10:17:00 AM »
Sister Glass, there appears to be some successful treatment for leprosy today, but none for mad cow.

Yes, there are some who will not be persuaded that all animals are unclean, but they will suffer loss. As we walk in the light we see that it will do little good to walk in the light of yesteryear. God will honor someone's faith, but for Seventh-day Adventists the day is drawing to a close where they can find gel caps made of cow bones rather than pigs and consider God will protect them. The light is shining brightly upon our minds.

This is why we are here.  We must share the light with those who want it.

For those who really are sincere and fully given to Christ, they will not only be seeking this light but will recognize that even if they only want to reject pig, they must read every label on processed food and forego those things they cannot identify. There are many products that contain "natural flavorings" that cannot be identified. Shall the child of God ignore such a thing? Many in the world feel justified in taking it into their bodies saying what I don't know won't hurt me. This is why there is so much disease and suffering in the world today.

Gelatin is just one such example. Let us seek the light and walk in it before it goes out.
There is less and less safety in eating processed foods. In order to do so, we must be educated in the light God has sent us.  :)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2005, 06:23:00 PM »
Here is a sad story that supports our concern.

Jorawar Gill was a vegetarian. He died at age 20 of the human form of mad cow disease.   Some believe gelatin  may have infected him. "And they want to know how he could have developed the killer condition when he was brought up in a vegetarian household and only ever ate a minimal amount of beef? The answer could lie in gelatin - a meat protein used in products like yoghurt and alcohol." source

Esther 7

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 08:35:00 AM »
This makes one sad.

Not just about the subject matter of the story, but one particular line in the story where the reporter says "It was discovered because of Seventh-day Adventists. Because SOME Seventh-day Adventists are VEGETARIAN."

Not,
'All Seventh-day Adventists were led by their prophet Ellen G. White to lead a Vegan lifestyle.' But no, SOME Seventh-day Adventists are VEGETARIAN. We know how ambiguous THAT term is.  :( So sad and what an opportunity wasted here.

Liane H

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »
Actually it should be all vegetarians, but some that eat the world form of marshmallows with beef gelatin think it ok and at one time it was ok, but the way the world is today regardless of whether is clean or unclean meat all meat is now become unclean.

I see this sad state when some people bring dairy product food for us to eat and also sad is that is the dish that is most cleaned up and gone.

------------------
Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »
Did I miss something. Was there suppose to be a link to an article?
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »
Yes, I too, was a little confused. I think the first sentence has the quote, but not sure where it was published. Hope it was not one of our periodicals. On the other hand, it would reflect what is believed by many in the church.

Esther 7

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2007, 12:04:00 AM »
Oops sorry! hold on. Will get the link.

http://www.vegsource.com/articles2/msnbc_marshmallow.htm

Esther 7

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2007, 12:08:00 AM »
Be sure to listen carefully to the video. It has information discovered by one of our Loma Linda scientists over 50 years ago. The quote I stated was from the reporter who said "some Seventh-day Adventists are vegetarian" which is disappointing because it ought to be ALL SDA's are VEGAN.

For those who are using EMES as a substitute, it has been "discovered" that it has 51% animal product and it's been known by the company who will not return phone calls.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2007, 01:47:00 PM »
Gelatin is a high risk substance for Mad Cow Disease.  It was also allowed into the US from England when their cattle had BSE because companies stated it would not transmit the disease because of their processing. They were wrong.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »
It is sad that there is much dishonesty in the world. When we try to do good and it turns out we were wrong that is sad also. The use of Emmes for deserts and cheeses turns out to have been a deception. We have reported on this elsewhere, but I want to make sure that all know about it and this is the topic that explains the greatest risk. Mad Cow Disease in humans is much more widespread than we are told. It is a very real danger and is spreading rapidly. One of the routes of infection can be through gelatin as we have posted here and elsewhere.

Here is a current link that reveals that many may have been exposed to Mad Cow Disease through using what they believed to be a vegan product, but in fact was not. source