Author Topic: Fourth Quarter--2012--SDA SS LESSON 12--Last Things--Jesus and the Saved  (Read 12547 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Fourth Quarter--2012--SDA SS LESSON 12--Last Things--Jesus and the Saved
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 09:06:09 PM »
THURSDAY December 20

Death and Resurrection

In the New Testament, one of the events connected with the second coming of Christ is the resurrection of those who died believing in Him. In fact, as far as most believers are concerned, that is the most important part of the Second Coming, because most of Christ’s followers will be dead when He returns.

What do the following texts teach us about the resurrection of the dead at the time of Christ’s return?

1 Thess. 4:13-16
  4:13   But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. 
  4:14   For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. 
  4:15   For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive [and] remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. 
  4:16   For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 

1 Cor. 15:13-25
  15:13   But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen: 
  15:14   And if Christ be not risen, then [is] our preaching vain, and your faith [is] also vain. 
  15:15   Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not. 
  15:16   For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised: 
  15:17   And if Christ be not raised, your faith [is] vain; ye are yet in your sins. 
  15:18   Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished. 
  15:19   If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable. 
  15:20   But now is Christ risen from the dead, [and] become the firstfruits of them that slept. 
  15:21   For since by man [came] death, by man [came] also the resurrection of the dead. 
  15:22   For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 
  15:23   But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming. 
  15:24   Then [cometh] the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. 
  15:25   For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. 

Rom. 8:11
  8:11   But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you

Phil. 3:20-21
  3:20   For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: 
  3:21   Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself. 

Notice that we are told that our bodies, our flesh, is vile. And, we will not be free from it until we receive our new glorified bodies at the second coming. But, that is no excuse for sin. When we are born again of His Spirit, we are given power through His Spirit to keep the flesh "under", as Paul puts it.
"But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway." 1 Corinthians 9:27.

The Bible teaches that in the resurrection the “body” is restored to life. In other words, biblical resurrection is a bodily resurrection. This truth becomes even more clear when we keep in mind the fact that after Christ’s resurrection, His tomb was empty. The dead body no longer remained in the grave. And in the certainty of His resurrection, we have the certainty of ours.

If resurrection amounts to the breaking of the power of death, how does that explain why one can attain to it only by being “in Christ”? 2 Tim. 1:8-10.

1:8   Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God; 
  1:9   Who hath saved us, and called [us] with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began, 
  1:10   But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel: 

Jesus said, "Abide in me and I in you." We will have eternal life only as we abide in Christ and He in us through His Spirit.   
"But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you."  Romans 8:11.

The key to immortality is not greater scientific research. The power of death has already been broken through Christ’s own death and resurrection (Rom. 6:9); based on that accomplishment, He is able to bestow immortality upon those who identify with His death and resurrection through baptism (Rom. 6:23). Also, the Bible makes it clear that the gift of immortality is not given to believers at death but when Jesus comes the second time, at the “last trumpet” (1 Cor. 15:51-54).

“‘I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies’ ” (John 11:25, NASB). How can you learn to better grasp the hope that is contained in these words? Where would you be without them?

Again, many are deceived having been taught "just believe and be saved." Never more dangerous words have been spoken. "Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?" James 2:19,20. We are not saved by our works, but by grace. If we are saved by grace, then our works testify that the Spirit of the living God is in us. Jesus said it this way to Nicodemus: "Except a man be born of water and [of] the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again." John 3:5-7.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 09:28:20 PM »
FRIDAY December 21

Further Study

“The intercession of Christ in man’s behalf in the sanctuary above is as essential to the plan of salvation as was His death upon the cross. By His death He began that work which after His resurrection He ascended to complete in heaven. We must by faith enter within the veil, ‘whither the forerunner is for us entered.’ Hebrews 6:20. There the light from the cross of Calvary is reflected. There we may gain a clearer insight into the mysteries of redemption. The salvation of man is accomplished at an infinite expense to heaven.” - Ellen G. White, The Great Controversy, p. 489.

“To the believer, Christ is the resurrection and the life. In our Saviour the life that was lost through sin is restored; for He has life in Himself to quicken whom He will. He is invested with the right to give immortality. The life that He laid down in humanity, He takes up again, and gives to humanity.” - Ellen G. White, The Desire of Ages, pp. 786, 787.
Discussion Questions

John Calvin called Christ’s work of intercession the “continual application of His death for our salvation,” and it is said that “the existence of a heavenly sanctuary was standard theology among Puritan divines.” It’s not hard to see why Christ’s work of intercession should be seen as such an important teaching. After all, look at how much of the Old Testament centered around the sanctuary and the temple. Look at how much the New Testament does, as well! What should this tell us about the importance of this doctrine?

Dwell more on Hebrews 9:23, a text that for centuries has baffled biblical scholars, who can’t understand how something in heaven itself could actually need cleansing.

9:23  It was therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these. 

While, as Seventh-day Adventists, we still have a lot to learn about what this text means, how does our understanding, for instance, of Daniel 8:14 help to clarify this important concept?

8:14   And he said unto me, Unto two thousand and three hundred days; then shall the sanctuary be cleansed. 

Paul said that the "patterns of things in the heavens" were purified with the blood of animals. That is the earthly sanctuary was cleansed on the Day of Atonement by killing an animal and then sprinkling the blood in the sanctuary. But, he goes on to say that the "heavenly things" must be purified or cleansed by "better sacrifices". He here is making reference to the sacrifice of Christ and His blood that would cleanse the heavenly sanctuary. That cleansing began in 1844. The sins of the saved are being blotted out of the record books in heaven.

This takes us back to our discussion on Tuesday regarding the blotting out of sins in the heavenly sanctuary. I said we would return and finish that discussion. This brings us full circle back to the reality of what is happening when the "heavenly things" are cleansed. Let us finish the rest of Friday's lesson and we will pick up again this most important subject, the cleansing of the heavenly sanctuary during the Day of Atonement in which we are now living.

The resurrection of Christ is utterly essential to the Christian faith. Without it we have nothing. Read 1 Corinthians 15:1-6. Look at how Paul is seeking to persuade his readers of the evidence for Christ’s resurrection. Notice especially verse 6. What is he saying here? Why is he emphasizing the fact that many of the people to whom Christ appeared are still alive? It’s almost as if he’s saying, “Don’t take my word for it. Ask some of these hundreds who saw Him themselves.” These are not the words you would expect from someone who wasn’t sure of that which he was teaching. What other evidence from the Bible can help to reaffirm our certainty of Christ’s resurrection?

Jesus' resurrection is not questioned by any who believe the Bible. All one has to do is read the gospels. The Bible quotes Jesus' Words after He was resurrected.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 09:40:12 PM »

This takes us back to our discussion on Tuesday regarding the blotting out of sins in the heavenly sanctuary. I said we would return and finish that discussion. This brings us full circle back to the reality of what is happening when the "heavenly things" are cleansed. Let us finish the rest of Friday's lesson and we will pick up again this most important subject, the cleansing of the heavenly sanctuary during the Day of Atonement in which we are now living.

Looking back at the operation of the earthly sanctuary, we see that it was cleansed on the day of atonement. That was an annual event. Until the sanctuary was cleansed of the sins confessed throughout that year, they remained. The point of the day of atonement was to cleanse the sanctuary of them. This is a simplistic synopsis, but the process was simple. Yes, let's finish that discussion.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2012, 05:14:23 AM »
Richard, I am placing texts from Scripture on this subject, at least, those that quickly come to mind. I am very sure there are others. The view is a bit more broad than just the subject of blotting out of sins.

As new Christians, converted and justified before the Father, our names are registered in the Lamb's book of life. How heaven handles human activity on an individual basis is a matter of record in the books of heaven. These few verses refer to that activity. 

Php_4:3  And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life.

Act_3:19  Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord

1 John 2:1 “If any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.”

Hebrews 9:24  “For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into Heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us.”

Hebrews 7:25 “Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.”

Exodus 32:33 “Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book.”

Ezekiel 18:24 “When the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, . . . all his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned.”

Isaiah 43:25 “I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins.”

Revelation 3:5 “He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.” 

Matthew 10:32, 33 “Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in Heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in Heaven.”

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2012, 07:20:28 AM »
Thank you, Mimi.  It is the Bible that is to be our guide, not man. And, yes, the blotting out of sin is not the issue, it is the gospel that has been perverted. So, it is indeed a broader issue than just the blotting out of sin. Satan has done all that he can to keep hidden the power of the gospel that he might ensnare Christians today in the same manner he had ensnared Israel when Jesus came to His own and they knew Him not. If we will correctly understand the blotting out of sin, then the perversion will be seen and the gospel be made plain. The verses you have shared are a great help.

As Seventh-day Adventists who have been given great light, we understand the issues involved in the "great controversy" between Christ and Satan. The great deceiver has lied about our God and the plan of salvation. He has attempted to either make God look harsh and arbitrary or soft and unfair. He has said that if man sins, justice demands that he not be allowed into heaven. Or, that God's law is impossible for man to keep, therefore God must allow all into heaven even though they sin. In the plan of salvation, God has offered salvation to us sinners if we will accept Christ as Lord. If we will, then after confessing and forsaking our sins, God will not only forgive our sins, but He will empower the sinner to keep His law. That power is only found in Christ. It is the fulfillment of the first promise made in the Garden of Eden, "And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel." Genesis 3:15. That "enmity" is Jesus Christ and His hatred of sin. When our heart is given to Christ, we are given a hatred of sin strong enough to resist sin. Without abiding in Christ and He in us, we have no power to resist the smallest temptation. Man, in and of himself, is evil by nature. We can do no good thing until we are "born again" of His Spirit. Then, as Paul says, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13.

The love of God for us while we were yet sinners, is called grace. It is the power that transforms the character when we allow it into the heart. This is the gospel of grace and it is the truth that we are attempting to present. As we understand the truth regarding the blotting out of sin, it will uncover the deception.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2012, 08:31:16 AM »
Let's look at the "books" in heaven where the sins of Christians are recorded and the names of all who have made a full surrender to Jesus are recorded.  The latter is called the "Book of Life." "...my fellow labourers, whose names are in the book of life." Philippians 4:3.  I have a question for our readers.  Once a person is truly converted and his name is written in this "book of life", what happens if he falls away and loses his salvation. Even though many have been deceived on this point, and believe they can be Satan incarnate and still enter heaven after conversion, Seventh-day Adventists have never believed such a lie.  It is commonly taught in  other churches "once saved always saved." Satan has a more subtle lie in our church. "Once saved, you may sin and still be saved." A more dangerous lie.

The point I am attempting to make in asking the question about falling away has to do with the blotting out of sin. I want all to see that there must be a record of sin in case one falls away. Blotting sins out of the record books cannot take place at the time when one truly confesses his sin. Why not? The Bible is very clear that the lost will be punished for all sins, not just a few. Therefore, a record of these sins must remain until the sins are declared permanently forgiven and then they are removed from the sinner's account. This is the blotting out of sin. It cannot take place until the investigative judgment takes place. If the truly converted backslides and does not return to Christ, then his name will be blotted out of the Book of Life and his sins will remain on his account. He will suffer for each sin on "judgment day".  "For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad." 2 Corinthians 5:10.

Now, we see the reason why the sins of the converted are not "blotted out" prematurely. They will come back on the person if he is eventually lost. He will suffer for each sin. That is called justice. An example will help those who still may not see this clearly.  A man such as Hitler, the worst of the worst, is converted by the power of grace. His sins are forgiven, but later in life, he backslides and is eternally lost. Shall all of his sins previously forgiven escape judgment? No. Each lost person will receive punishment for "the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad."

The Bible tells us that the "blotting out" of sins takes place at a future date, not when a person is converted. "Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord." Acts 3:19. 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2012, 10:36:40 AM »
As the truth is seen and accepted that the blotting out of sins happens in the judgment that takes place prior to the second coming, during the antitypical Day of Atonement which began in 1844, some may not yet see the great deception involved. But, it will be seen shortly. First, we must accept the truth about the blotting out of the sins of the saved taking place during the Day of Atonement. Let us go back to the types and shadows whereby God taught the Jews. What happened in their sanctuary was just a symbol or shadow of what is happening in the heavenly sanctuary today where Jesus is our high priest, "a minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man." Hebrews 8:2.

Paul continues in the Book of Hebrews, chapter 10, verses 1-4. "For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.  For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.  But in those [sacrifices there is] a remembrance again made of sins every year.  For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins."

Here Paul is telling us that the ceremonial law was a shadow and the blood of bulls and goats does not take away sins. And, he tells us that there is a "remembrance again made of sins every year" in the Hebrew service, but not so after the blotting out of sins in the real sanctuary by the blood of our Saviour. Then, after the blotting out of sins there is no more remembrance of those sins. We are going to continue on this subject, but I do not want to go into detail in our Sabbath School lesson on what happens to those sins. That is for another day. It is good enough to know that they are no longer associated with the saved when he is judged righteous. They will be removed from the heavenly sanctuary, thus the cleansing of the sanctuary in heaven. There is no need for the record to remain associated with the individual who sinned.

We have heard  from Paul about the cleansing of the heavenly tabernacle, now let us read from the Old Testament that which Paul was referring to. Where we read "within the veil" we know that this is in the Most Holy Place where the high priest entered once a year to make this atonement. We also read that the "mercy seat" is in that apartment being called "the holy place". From the Book of Leviticus:

16:11   And Aaron shall bring the bullock of the sin offering, which [is] for himself, and shall make an atonement for himself, and for his house, and shall kill the bullock of the sin offering which [is] for himself: 
  16:12   And he shall take a censer full of burning coals of fire from off the altar before the LORD, and his hands full of sweet incense beaten small, and bring [it] within the veil: 
  16:13   And he shall put the incense upon the fire before the LORD, that the cloud of the incense may cover the mercy seat that [is] upon the testimony, that he die not: 
  16:14   And he shall take of the blood of the bullock, and sprinkle [it] with his finger upon the mercy seat eastward; and before the mercy seat shall he sprinkle of the blood with his finger seven times. 
  16:15   Then shall he kill the goat of the sin offering, that [is] for the people, and bring his blood within the veil, and do with that blood as he did with the blood of the bullock, and sprinkle it upon the mercy seat, and before the mercy seat: 
  16:16   And he shall make an atonement for the holy place, because of the uncleanness of the children of Israel, and because of their transgressions in all their sins: and so shall he do for the tabernacle of the congregation, that remaineth among them in the midst of their uncleanness. 
  16:17   And there shall be no man in the tabernacle of the congregation when he goeth in to make an atonement in the holy [place], until he come out, and have made an atonement for himself, and for his household, and for all the congregation of Israel. 
  16:18   And he shall go out unto the altar that [is] before the LORD, and make an atonement for it; and shall take of the blood of the bullock, and of the blood of the goat, and put [it] upon the horns of the altar round about. 
  16:19   And he shall sprinkle of the blood upon it with his finger seven times, and cleanse it, and hallow it from the uncleanness of the children of Israel. 
  16:20   And when he hath made an end of reconciling the holy [place], and the tabernacle of the congregation, and the altar, he shall bring the live goat: 

This ties it all together. On the Day of Atonement the Hebrew sanctuary was to be cleansed by the blood of animals. It was only a shadow of the real cleansing in heaven to take place in our day. It began in 1844. It involved the removal of the sins of the true believer who was seen to have truly accepted Christ when the "books were opened" from which he was judged.

Having accepted this as truth, we will now conclude our lesson that we might understand the true gospel and be set  free from any deception that may have clouded our minds.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2012, 05:11:13 PM »
"Fear God and give glory to Him, for the hour is His judgment is come."  This is our message. Let us get it right. In 1844 the judgment began. It involved the cleansing of the heavenly sanctuary. There is a record of sins in the books of heaven. That record does not need to stay there. It is only there until each case is decided. When each person who stands before Jesus Christ is judged either worthy or unworthy, the record of sin will either be blotted out or for the guilty will be disposed of in a different manner. Do we understand this to be the truth? If so, then the gospel of grace as been confirmed. How so?  In this judgment, which Seventh-day Adventists call the "investigative judgment" because it involves an investigation into each person's life, we learn that the true standing of all professors of Christianity will be judged by what is written in the books of heaven. God does not leave any question in the minds of others as to why John and Mary will be in heaven, or why Bob and Sally will not. 

On what basis does the watching universe see that God is judging the professing believers? It is based on what is written in the books in heaven.  Notice the wisdom that God inspired James to pen in the second chapter of James, verse 26. "For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also."  Man is not saved by works, but by grace. When the Spirit of Jesus is allowed into the heart at conversion, man becomes a partaker of the divine nature. "Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust." 2 Peter 1:4. When we have the Spirit of God leading us, we are given power to keep the evil flesh under control. Therefore, a truly converted Christian manifests the fruits of the Spirit, not one is missing. The character of Christ is reflected in the repentant sinner. Then, when he comes up in the judgment before Christ, Jesus can point to the record in the books and say "He is mine, you can see by His words and works that He was fully surrendered to Me when he went into the grave.

There is much more, but this is sufficient for this week's Sabbath School lesson and enough to reveal the great lie that we are not going to be judged by our works in the judgment.  We will be, just as the Bible teaches. "And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works."  Revelation 20:12.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2012, 05:31:09 PM »
Amen! Revelation 20:12.

This one, too ... Revelation 3:5 “He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.” 

"He that overcometh" does not leave room for any misunderstanding. Revelation 3:5 is the promise of promises. And "white raiment" will not cover sin-stained raiment. But as you said on other elements this subject encompasses, that is a matter for another study.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2012, 05:42:59 PM »
Let's look at the "books" in heaven where the sins of Christians are recorded and the names of all who have made a full surrender to Jesus are recorded.  The latter is called the "Book of Life." "...my fellow labourers, whose names are in the book of life." Philippians 4:3.  I have a question for our readers.  Once a person is truly converted and his name is written in this "book of life", what happens if he falls away and loses his salvation. Even though many have been deceived on this point, and believe they can be Satan incarnate and still enter heaven after conversion, Seventh-day Adventists have never believed such a lie.  It is commonly taught in  other churches "once saved always saved." Satan has a more subtle lie in our church. "Once saved, you may sin and still be saved." A more dangerous lie.

The point I am attempting to make in asking the question about falling away has to do with the blotting out of sin. I want all to see that there must be a record of sin in case one falls away. Blotting sins out of the record books cannot take place at the time when one truly confesses his sin. Why not? The Bible is very clear that the lost will be punished for all sins, not just a few. Therefore, a record of these sins must remain until the sins are declared permanently forgiven and then they are removed from the sinner's account. This is the blotting out of sin. It cannot take place until the investigative judgment takes place. If the truly converted backslides and does not return to Christ, then his name will be blotted out of the Book of Life and his sins will remain on his account. He will suffer for each sin on "judgment day".  "For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad." 2 Corinthians 5:10.

Now, we see the reason why the sins of the converted are not "blotted out" prematurely. They will come back on the person if he is eventually lost. He will suffer for each sin. That is called justice. An example will help those who still may not see this clearly.  A man such as Hitler, the worst of the worst, is converted by the power of grace. His sins are forgiven, but later in life, he backslides and is eternally lost. Shall all of his sins previously forgiven escape judgment? No. Each lost person will receive punishment for "the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad."

The Bible tells us that the "blotting out" of sins takes place at a future date, not when a person is converted. "Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord." Acts 3:19.

And this text answers the question you ask:

Ezekiel 18:24 “When the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, . . . all his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned.”

As a new Christian, this verse troubled me because of a misunderstanding of faith and works, to say nothing of the sanctuary service currently in its final phase in heaven. There was a lot to learn of this gospel of grace and how heaven deals with sin. I did not want to be counted "all bad," and if even a little bit bad, and heaven was missed because of that little sin in my life, the suffering would not be as intense. It is interesting how the mind works until it is properly educated in holy matters. A proper understanding of Scripture says, "Not so." Even the righteous acts I accomplished up until the time of my fall would not be mentioned. A little sin will not be admitted into the heavenly courts and anything good done is counted as dung. All of the sins committed in my life would be counted against me. Not one ounce of righteousness would be remembered and I would suffer eternal loss of heaven and be punished accordingly.   

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2012, 08:13:02 PM »
Yes, now we understand the deception. If man is judged by his works, then the great lie will be seen. The path to heaven is a narrow path. "Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it." Matthew 7:13,14. Most teachers have led professing Christians to believe that they will enter heaven with unconfessed and unforsaken sins. Many believe the lie that a little sin will be overlooked. It is taught that we have a fallen nature and cannot keep from sinning, or that God will excuse a little sin because He knows that we did not mean to sin. All are lies. God has provided a remedy for sin, Jesus Christ. He not only will forgive our sins, but will transform our very character. While we live in these vile bodies, we may overcome sin through the power of an indwelling Christ. "And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.  But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God." Romans 8:10-14.

Our Christian experience is all dependent upon a full surrender to Christ. Then He, through the Spirit, will take possession of the heart. "A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.  And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them." Ezekiel 35:26, 27. John lived to see the perversion of the gospel of grace in his day. In his last epistles to the church he wrote warnings that the deception might be clearly seen. "Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure. Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin. Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God." 1 John 3:2-9.

There is a way which seemeth right unto man, but the end thereof are the ways of death. Don't trust in the arm of flesh. Turn to the pure fountain of truth and drink of the living water. "Whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life." John 4:14.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2012, 08:23:38 PM »
We have revealed from the Bible the truth about the judgment that began in 1844 in which all who have professed to serve God will be judged according to their works. Now, we will share a thought from the book The Great Controversy. It seems that many who profess to believe what is written therein have overlooked what we are about to share. It is time for the sleeping virgins to awaken out of their sleep.

"I beheld," says the prophet Daniel, "till thrones were placed, and One that was Ancient of Days did sit: His raiment was white as snow, and the hair of His head like pure wool; His throne was fiery flames, and the wheels thereof burning fire. A fiery stream issued and came forth from before Him: thousand thousands ministered unto Him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before Him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened." Daniel 7:9, 10, R.V.

Thus was presented to the prophet's vision the great and solemn day when the characters and the lives of men should pass in review before the Judge of all the earth, and to every man should be rendered "according to his works.".....

The books of record in heaven, in which the names and the deeds of men are registered, are to determine the decisions of the judgment. Says the prophet Daniel: "The judgment was set, and the books were opened." The revelator, describing the same scene, adds: "Another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works." Revelation 20:12. 

The book of life contains the names of all who have ever entered the service of God. Jesus bade His disciples: "Rejoice, because your names are written in heaven." Luke 10:20. Paul speaks of his faithful fellow workers, "whose names are in the book of life." Philippians 4:3. Daniel, looking down to "a time of trouble, such as never was," declares that God's people shall be delivered, "everyone that shall be found written in the book." And the revelator says that those only shall enter the city of God whose names "are written in the Lamb's book of life." Daniel 12:1; Revelation 21:27. 

"A book of remembrance" is written before God, in which are recorded the good deeds of "them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon His name." Malachi 3:16. Their words of faith, their acts of love, are registered in heaven. Nehemiah refers to this when he says: "Remember me, O my God, . . . and wipe not out my good deeds that I have done for the house of my God." Nehemiah 13:14. In the book of God's remembrance every deed of righteousness is immortalized. There every temptation resisted, every evil overcome, every word of tender pity expressed, is faithfully chronicled. And every act of sacrifice, every suffering and sorrow endured for Christ's sake, is recorded. Says the psalmist: "Thou tellest my wanderings: put Thou my tears into Thy bottle: are they not in Thy book?" Psalm 56:8. 

There is a record also of the sins of men. "For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil." "Every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment." Says the Saviour: "By thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned." Ecclesiastes 12:14; Matthew 12:36, 37. The secret purposes and motives appear in the unerring register; for God "will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts." 1 Corinthians 4:5. "Behold, it is written before Me, . . . your iniquities, and the iniquities of your fathers together, saith the Lord." Isaiah 65:6, 7.

Every man's work passes in review before God and is registered for faithfulness or unfaithfulness. Opposite each name in the books of heaven is entered with terrible exactness every wrong word, every selfish act, every unfulfilled duty, and every secret sin, with every artful dissembling. Heaven-sent warnings or reproofs neglected, wasted moments, unimproved opportunities, the influence exerted for good or for evil, with its far-reaching results, all are chronicled by the recording angel. 

The law of God is the standard by which the characters and the lives of men will be tested in the judgment. Says the wise man: "Fear God, and keep His commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment." Ecclesiastes 12:13, 14. The apostle James admonishes his brethren: "So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty." James 2:12.

Those who in the judgment are "accounted worthy" will have a part in the resurrection of the just. Jesus said: "They which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, . . . are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection." Luke 20:35, 36. And again He declares that "they that have done good" shall come forth "unto the resurrection of life." John 5:29. The righteous dead will not be raised until after the judgment at which they are accounted worthy of "the resurrection of life." Hence they will not be present in person at the tribunal when their records are examined and their cases decided. 

Jesus will appear as their advocate, to plead in their behalf before God. "If any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous." 1 John 2:1. "For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us." "Wherefore He is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by Him, seeing He ever liveth to make intercession for them." Hebrews 9:24; 7:25.

As the books of record are opened in the judgment, the lives of all who have believed on Jesus come in review before God. Beginning with those who first lived upon the earth, our Advocate presents the cases of each successive generation, and closes with the living. Every name is mentioned, every case closely investigated. Names are accepted, names rejected. When any have sins remaining upon the books of record, unrepented of and unforgiven, their names will be blotted out of the book of life, and the record of their good deeds will be erased from the book of God's remembrance. The Lord declared to Moses: "Whosoever hath sinned against Me, him will I blot out of My book." Exodus 32:33. And says the prophet Ezekiel: "When the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, . . . all his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned." Ezekiel 18:24. 

All who have truly repented of sin, and by faith claimed the blood of Christ as their atoning sacrifice, have had pardon entered against their names in the books of heaven; as they have become partakers of the righteousness of Christ, and their characters are found to be in harmony with the law of God, their sins will be blotted out, and they themselves will be accounted worthy of eternal life. The Lord declares, by the prophet Isaiah: "I, even I, am He that blotteth out thy transgressions for Mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins." Isaiah 43:25. Said Jesus: "He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before My Father, and before His angels." "Whosoever therefore shall confess Me before men, him will I confess also before My Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny Me before men, him will I also deny before My Father which is in heaven." Revelation 3:5; Matthew 10:32, 33.   

The great deception has been unmasked. Let our Sabbath School classes teach the truth this Sabbath about the power of the love of God. Grace received into the heart will empower the sinner to keep the law of God. Sin reveals a separation between man and God. If we have Christ, we have life. If we do not have Christ, His Spirit dwelling in our hearts, we do not possess eternal life (salvation). "If any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his." Roman 8:9. But, if we we possess His Spirit, then "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13. 

God has a people on this earth today who can say "Here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus." Revelation 14:12.