Author Topic: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 7--First Quarter 2014--Jesus and the Social Outcasts  (Read 14898 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 7--Jesus and the Social Outcasts
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 10:04:13 AM »
Amen! I would like to add one bit to this idea, When George come over to my house and chops wood for me, I am willing to do for George something he cannot do for himself. Is this grace? No, it is not. What other condition must apply for me to extend grace to another?

Richard I would like you to continue your thoughts on your question.

Yes, I will Al. But, first let's see if anyone has some thoughts on the example. Grace is more than a word, it is the transforming power that is seen in the life of all who are in a converted state. It is what changes the cold heart into a heart of flesh (soft, loving, and kind).
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 10:57:23 AM »
Thursday February 13

Publicans and Sinners

It’s hard to imagine what our world would have been like had not sin intruded. The beauty of nature, even after millennia, still testifies to the majesty and power and goodness of God. Our sin-darkened minds can barely grasp what humanity and human relations would have been like had our world not fallen. One thing we can be sure of is that the class distinctions, prejudices, and cultural and ethnic boundaries that impact every society and culture would not exist.

Amen. Cultural diversity would not be exalted above Scripture.

Sad to say, too, it’s hardly feasible that before Christ returns these boundaries are going to vanish. On the contrary, as our world gets worse, there is no doubt that these barriers will, as well. As Christians, however, we must do what we can in every way possible to seek to transcend these barriers that have caused so much heartache and suffering and pain in our world, especially to those whom society rejects as the greatest outcasts.

Yes, we must look beyond the sick society and the hateful culture that dictates the lives of many. We must see in the "social outcast" or the highly educated arrogant what Jesus sees, what they may become through God's grace.

Read Matthew 9:9-13.

9:9   And as Jesus passed forth from thence, he saw a man, named Matthew, sitting at the receipt of custom: and he saith unto him, Follow me. And he arose, and followed him. 
 9:10   And it came to pass, as Jesus sat at meat in the house, behold, many publicans and sinners came and sat down with him and his disciples. 
 9:11   And when the Pharisees saw [it], they said unto his disciples, Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners? 
 9:12   But when Jesus heard [that], he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick. 
 9:13   But go ye and learn what [that] meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. 

In what way is the essence of true Christianity revealed here, not just in what Jesus said but in that which He did? Focus especially on His words, taken from the Old Testament: "I will have mercy, and not sacrifice" (Hosea 6:6). Especially given the context, why must we be so careful that we do not become guilty of possessing the attitude that Jesus is so powerfully condemning here-especially when we are all to some degree creatures of our particular societies, and thus influenced by the prejudices and social barriers that are inherent in every society?

Yes, we are creatures of our society. We see it in our church especially in Southern California, Western Europe, and Australia. But, in Christ we are new creatures and the heart does not want the world, but Jesus. Much of the influence of the world goes away when we are born of His Spirit. It may be that it takes awhile to realize that things like modesty in God's eyes are different from what our society sees. In Southern California, you may wear almost nothing into a store. It may take awhile for this to come home to the heart of even those who are converted. Thus, the need for Bible education to continue after conversion.

"The Pharisees beheld Christ sitting and eating with publicans and sinners. He was calm and self-possessed, kind, courteous, and friendly; and while they could not but admire the picture presented, it was so unlike their own course of action, they could not endure the sight. The haughty Pharisees exalted themselves, and disparaged those who had not been blessed with such privileges and light as they themselves had had. They hated and despised the publicans and sinners. Yet in the sight of God their guilt was the greater. Heaven’s light was flashing across their pathway, saying, "This is the way, walk ye in it"; but they had spurned the gift."-Ellen G. White, The SDA Bible Commentary, vol. 5, p. 1,088.

Amen!  We are to hate the sin. We are not to participate in the sin, but we are to be in the world and loving the sinner. What is the problem then? We do not have the power  to love the sinner until we are truly converted. We can pretend to love the sinner, but it is only a game that misrepresents God's Truth. When will Jesus return? We can know the answer very definitely. When God's  church reveals Him. Jesus has not come back  because we do not reveal Christ in character. But, we shall very soon, by His grace. Here is the promise.

36:21   But I had pity for mine holy name, which the house of Israel had profaned among the heathen, whither they went. 
 36:22   Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; I do not [this] for your sakes, O house of Israel, but for mine holy name's sake, which ye have profaned among the heathen, whither ye went. 
 36:23   And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I [am] the LORD, saith the Lord GOD, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes. 
 36:24   For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land. 
 36:25   Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. 
 36:26   A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. 
 36:27   And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do [them]. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2014, 01:06:26 PM »
Friday February 14

Further Study: Read Ellen G. White, At Jacob’s Well, pp. 183-195; Peace, Be Still, pp. 333-341; Among Snares, pp. 460-462; in The Desire of Ages; and Helping the Tempted, pp. 164-169; Working for the Intemperate, pp. 171-182; Help for the Unemployed and the Homeless, pp. 183-200, in The Ministry of Healing.

“The one class that He would never countenance was those who stood apart in their self-esteem and looked down upon others. . . .

"The fallen must be led to feel that it is not too late for them to be men. Christ honored man with His confidence and thus placed him on his honor. Even those who had fallen the lowest He treated with respect. It was a continual pain to Christ to be brought into contact with enmity, depravity, and impurity; but never did He utter one expression to show that His sensibilities were shocked or His refined tastes offended. Whatever the evil habits, the strong prejudices, or the overbearing passions of human beings, He met them all with pitying tenderness. As we partake of His Spirit, we shall regard all men as brethren, with similar temptations and trials, often falling and struggling to rise again, battling with discouragements and difficulties, craving sympathy and help. Then we shall meet them in such a way as not to discourage or repel them, but to awaken hope in their hearts."-Ellen G. White, The Ministry of Healing, pp. 164, 165.

Contemplating these truths, and searching my heart, I find that I do indeed have a difficulty in meeting some in a manner that will not repel them. I try, but it is very hard to not encourage them in their wrong actions and not repel them. I try.  It is those who stand apart in their self-esteem and look down upon others, especially those who have great positions and responsibility and are religious teachers. Some who have degrees in "higher education" and are wise in their own understanding above the Bible, I do not want to repel, but know that by speaking the truth, it does. Sometimes, I just have to leave it with Jesus. I see examples where Jesus repelled these kind, as when He cleansed the temple and told some that they must eat His flesh and drink His blood. They turned and never more walked with Him.

This standing apart from the ones who are fallen from grace and society, or who are just very poor, is a problem. Let's look at some ways we can stand apart from them that we may not have understood. How do these feel when attending church and find that others are driving expensive cars, living in expensive homes, and dressing in fancy clothes?  Does this push them away? Why did Jesus come as a common person? Was it not so that He could come close to all?  There is nothing inherently wrong in having nice things, but we ought to keep in mind that one of the problems in possessing too nice of things is setting ourselves apart from those who do not have.

Some may consider my words as being envious, but they are not. I cannot envy those who have not found the peace that passes understanding and are not being blessed by living a life of simplicity seeking after spiritual blessings. Fancy homes, cars, and cloths cost a lot more than  money. We read this when studying the Bible account of the rich young ruler. It is true that God has and will bless some with great wealth, but it is not because they will buy fancy homes, cars, boats, planes, and cloths. He knows they will use the wealth to bless others.

Discussion Questions:

What personal attitudes might need to be changed in order for you to become an effective witness to social outcasts? What congregational practices should be altered to make your church more effective? How should modern Christians establish reasonable expectations when working for those who are deemed to be the hardest and most difficult cases?

Why are we working for them? Do we expect that we will see fruit from all of our labors? How much did Jesus see prior to His death? Should our church suggest wearing old clothes on the Sabbath to make the poor feel at home?  Should we play acid rock music to make the drug user feel at home? 

How did Jesus avoid both excusing sins and condemning sinners?

We can look at His words to the woman at the well. He did not condemn her, but He brought forth the truth that she was a sinner. The truth does condemn, but Jesus was not condemning her, He was trying to help her. The same with the woman caught in adultery, He did not condemn her, but pointed out that she was worthy of death. Speaking the truth in love can awaken to the hearer his true condition, but that does not mean the intent of the  words is to condemn. Jesus came to save, not to condemn. Those who have not repented are already condemned. Jesus did not condemn Nicodemus, but told him he was in a lost condition. He did so in an  effort to save him. Current "theology" has things very confused on this point.

In what ways did Christ utilize trust, encouragement, and confidence in reversing the downward spiral of social outcasts? Since social outcasts were generally suspicious of religious leaders, how did Christ make these potential disciples comfortable with Himself?

What barriers stand between social outcasts and your church? How can those barriers be overturned?

I think that the answer is found in the statement "social outcasts were generally suspicious of religious leaders." Why? Then the answer would be for the religious leaders to be changed into the character of Christ. That comes when we accept Jesus as ruler in our  lives. As I often say, the answer is always the same, we need Jesus. And, we need Him all of the time if we want to rightly represent Him. When we have His Spirit, all else will come in its train.  Is this true? Have you found it to be true in your life?

Al

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2014, 07:41:55 AM »
 Wednesday - The Woman at the Well

On Sundays lesson the author
Although hardened by sinful pleasures, and sometimes encased in self-constructed tough exteriors, the social outcasts were, and still are, easier to reach than the prideful, haughty, and self-righteous elite. Often, beneath the outcasts’ bravado lies emotional emptiness charac¬terized by poor self-worth.

This woman at the well had been married five times and was at present living with a man who was not her husband. Was she trying to fill her emptiness with human relationships? I am very thankful that I have never experienced divorce but can only imagine the heartache that follows in its wake. This lady had five husbands by this time she must have felt like a real failure. Now she is trying a relationship with no strings attached.  Will this new man fill the emptiness in her life or is he just using her? I sometimes wonder about these loose arrangements it certainly seems to be a lack of true commitment.

While on the surface this woman must have keep a good composure while talking to Christ. Or as stated sometimes encased "in self-constructed tough exteriors." Jesus could see beyond all this and he knew what this lady needed. In fact it is what everyone needs. "Springs of water welling up to eternal life."
This woman tired to elude Christ's penetrating words by changing the conversation. But when she finally discovered that he was the Messiah she ran into town told everyone she meet about Christ even at an expense to herself. Such a change had come over her that the testimony of her life gave power to her words. Let us never forget this words without a changed life lose much of there power.

It was by this social outcast that many where brought to see Jesus.  "So when the Samaritans came to him, they asked him to stay with them, and he stayed there two days. And many more believed because of his word." John 4:40, 41

Another barrier is broken down between Christ a Jew and the Samaritans. Christ abode with them for two days.

My wife and I had our truck break down while driving through Las Vegas. While we were waiting for repairs we decided to walk the streets to get some exercise. While walking down the sidewalk a big black man came towards us with a large black plastic bag on his back. As we were passing each other we both said hi to him. After he got about ten feet past us he quickly turned around and said out loud. "You are not from around here".  We ended up having quite a conversation with him. We found out that he was very well educated man who used to be a professor from a collage with a PHD. I asked him why he was collecting aluminum cans and living on the street when he could have a good job.

This man because of stress at work and trouble in his marriage and also on top of this had problems with his teenage daughter. He said he had a psychotic break so he left his job and family behind and they had no idea where he was.  He had not contacted them in some time. We spent some time trying to encourage him to go back home and gave him a Steps to Christ and prayed with him. (Yes we sometimes would carry literature with us.) We will never know the outcome of this event but I believe that God impressed that man to turn around and talk to us.

I know that homeless people can sometimes tell some real stories in order to build up their self worth but we both felt this man was genuine and was honest with us.

Could it be because of the color of his skin and being homeless that most people would not give him the time of day. He was shocked that we talked to him so much so that he spun around and said "you are not from around here". My wife and I cannot boast about doing anything great all we said was "hi". We had no idea that it would open a door so that we could encourage him to do the right thing.

This lesson is making me realize how much more we could do for Christ is our eyes and ears are open to the leading of God.   

Jesus looked upon the distressed and heart burdened, those whose hopes were blighted, and who with earthly joys were seeking to quiet the longing of the soul, and He invited all to find rest in Him.  {DA 328.3}

Al

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2014, 08:14:31 AM »
I think that the answer is found in the statement "social outcasts were generally suspicious of religious leaders." Why? Then the answer would be for the religious leaders to be changed into the character of Christ. That comes when we accept Jesus as ruler in our  lives. As I often say, the answer is always the same, we need Jesus. And, we need Him all of the time if we want to rightly represent Him. When we have His Spirit, all else will come in its train.  Is this true? Have you found it to be true in your life?

Richard we are coming to the close of this lesson. I am not sure what happened to everyone this week. I know that I cannot always post on the forum because some of my days get filled up. But I would like to take a look at this above comments.

In Christ's day the church leaders looked down on the social outcasts. People who are on the streets are called "street smart" they can read people better than some highly educated people. Most can sense genuine concern and care. Very hard to win someone over to Christ if you don't really care about them. Jesus broke down the barriers to such a degree that he was accused of being a glutton and a winebibber.  If were where to mingle with some of these people why I wonder what some of the church members might think. My mom and dad back in the late 70's took a colored woman to church the head deacon at the door said that she had no right to be in the church.

We certainly do need Jesus more every day but even when we do come to Jesus there is still a growing process. While we are heading in a new direction in life with new motive we still need to learn how to use the gifts we have but how to develop other talents so we can be more effectives witnesses for Christ.  As we become more involved with people the more we care about them.
Jesus looked upon the distressed and heart burdened, those whose hopes were blighted, and who with earthly joys were seeking to quiet the longing of the soul, and He invited all to find rest in Him.  {DA 328.3}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2014, 01:19:32 PM »
The self-righteous have filled that empty hole in their lives with themselves. They have religion, and all the answers and are satisfied with a form of godliness without the power. Of this class Christ said "They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick."  Christ continued by saying "I came not to call the righteous but sinners to repentance." Mark 2:17

Hi, Al. It has been a very busy week and thank you so much for your contributions to the lesson. I have been reading but have not stopped long enough to post. Maybe it is when considering the term, "bottom dwellers," I didn't like the term. Truth be known, it seems that most of us could be called that because of where we were at one point or another in our lives. But through God's grace, we submitted to be transformed and lifted out of the muck and mire.

You said: The self-righteous have filled that empty hole in their lives with themselves. I think of bottom dwellers in the same light. There is a huge hole in their lives and they fill it with self. How is that any different from the self-righteous? A focus on one's self is the point of each group. Some want out and some do not. In fact, they are in the same group, no different as far as character goes. It is what gets them to be bottom dwellers that appears to be different. We also can consider the degrees of sin attached to each group, but it is sin none-the-less and both groups appear to be hopeless without God. We are either forming a character for heaven or for hell.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2014, 01:21:14 PM »
Amen, Al.  Good to see your posts!  We need to realize that our lives are to be lived to God's glory, not our own. Then we will care about others. Some might say that just saying hi to a man collecting cans is not enough, but that is not true. God wants to lead each of us, and it will not be in the same way. Saying hello with a smile goes a long way today when there is no love in many people's lives.

Yes, there is much growing to do after conversion, but without a true conversion, what may appear to be growth in grace is not. The example you gave of the head deacon telling you that a black woman had no right to be in your church is an example of the need for conversion, not growth after conversion.  If Jesus is in the heart, then we have love for others. All of the fruits of the Spirit come when we are born of His Spirit, not one is missing. We may wear the wrong clothes, eat the wrong food, speak the wrong language, and keep the wrong day, but the heart has been cleansed when we are truly in a converted state. At conversion our motives are right and we possess the fruits of His Spirit. Until we are born again, we cannot do those things that many pretend to do by being in the church. We do not learn to love those who despitefully use us, it is impossible until we make a full surrender to Jesus.

And, yes, Al, many on the street can tell if we are genuine or not. It does not a converted person to be able to see real love. Love that gives without wanting something back. This is why Jesus was able to soften hearts, He spent more time healing than preaching, and he did not charge for the work He did. There is a wonderful work to be done in the world. When we begin to plow before we plant, we will begin to see great results in the harvest field. The difficulty right now is that it is impossible to love the sinner without having the love of God implanted in the heart. When Jesus is in the heart, the love is there and is seeking a way to save the lost. It is the natural order of things spiritual. If we were a converted people, then the work would have been finished long ago and Jesus would long since have come. The call for revival and reformation has gone forth and it will find success. The Sabbath School lesson we had on Revival and Reformation was excellent and many are today more aware of our need of Jesus all of the time in order to do evangelism. If Jesus is not in the heart, then others will see it, maybe not on a nice day, but when the storm comes, there will be seen a difference between those in Christ and those who are only professing to be His. There will be a marked difference in character between those whose hearts have been cleansed and those who remain defiled.

I asked the question: have you found that when you have His Spirit, in a converted state, that all of the fruits of the Spirit are in your life? That you have love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and self control? Think about it. When we have Jesus, we will still have problems in life, but we will a peace that passes all understanding. Do you have that peace today, when in the middle of the storm?  If you do not, what is the answer?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2014, 01:34:41 PM »
Maybe it is when considering the term, "bottom dwellers," I didn't like the term. Truth be known, it seems that most of us could be called that because of where we were at one point or another in our lives. But through God's grace, we submitted to be transformed and lifted out of the muck and mire.

You said: The self-righteous have filled that empty hole in their lives with themselves. I think of bottom dwellers in the same light. There is a huge hole in their lives and they fill it with filth. How is that any different from the self-righteous? A focus on one's self is the point of each group. In fact, they are in the same group, no different as far as character goes. It is what gets them to be bottom dwellers that appears to be different. We also can consider the degrees of sin attached to each group, but it is sin none-the-less and both groups appear to be hopeless without God. We are either forming a character for heaven or for hell.

Amen. The woman at the well, by many would be said to be at the bottom rung of the ladder, but how long did it take her to recognize her Messiah?  Outward actions can indeed  help identify character, but not moral character. Moral character reaches to the intent of the heart. The woman at the well was seeking truth in her life even though a great sinner. She was not ignorant of the prophecies concerning Messiah. Why? Because she was studying the writings of the prophets. As you say, Mimi, but for the grace of God, we could be seen in the same light.

We are not doing away with the "rabble" in the world, it is there. We would rather have children in contact with unconverted educated and cultured people than the rabble in the cities. We have counsel that tells us such, if any are offended. But, when we look at sinners, we are not to judge their hearts. When Al and his wife said hello to the poor man walking down the street, they did not judge his heart as being past saving. Jesus looks at the sinner and sees what he may become. So it is to be with us. We are to look past what we see with our eyes, and believe that there is hope for the soul, no matter how low they have fallen.  And, by the way, I am not sure if this quarter's lesson deals with the wealthy, but often they are deemed unworthy or past saving. It is not true. We must not place all of our efforts on the down and out. I have seen that in some churches and it does not work very well. We are to seek to save the lost from all classes of people.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2014, 01:56:38 PM »
Tuesday - The Lowest of the Low

Gary at one time was a professed Christian. I never knew how deep his commitment was but to see him like this as more than we could bear. We offered to take him home and help him get back on his feet. After several appeals he declined. We then made the same offer to the young man as he seemed more receptive. His only reply was "If  I was to leave I would have to give up all this." My wife and myself were shocked to hear such a thing.  As we were driving away I thought if we cling to one sin how is it any different from his? Some will lose eternity with Christ  because they could not give up sports or some favorite food or pride of opinion. The trade off is just the same as this young man's. It was the same choice the rich young ruler made he said  "If I am to follow Christ I would have to give up all this."

The author of the lesson asks how are we to help some of these people who have mental, spiritual, or physical needs? We bring them to the feet of Jesus. Much more could be said about this process but I don't want to make this post to long. But if you have any thoughts I would like the hear them.

I have a beloved whose answer is the same as Gary's friend. It is so sad and no, it is no different when we cling to sin.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2014, 02:12:49 PM »

Compare this man’s situation with the plight of modern homeless people.

It would be hard to compare the two. Possession has removed the ability to choose to do right. Many homeless persons are not possessed. They still have freedom to choose.

Compare his description with that of mentally ill patients.

This is a very difficult area to discuss. Some people diagnosed as mentally ill are possessed. Some have a physical difficulty. The field of psychology is filled with demonic ideas that are far from Bible truth.

What similarities and differences exist? How does modern society treat people who suffer from mental illness?

With drugs which sometimes allow demonic  possession. It is a difficult area to know what is going on. We must help as we can. The brain must be made strong both physically and spiritually.  Improper lifestyle contributes to the brain being made sick. The body needs proper nutrition, air, and water, and good circulation of good blood. The brain suffers from not having these things. It is amazing how much the brain can stand after being exposed to so much that is damaging such as drugs.

"Merely insane."  Some who are "merely insane" are possessed.

A crucial point for us in this story is that no one, no matter how deranged-whether from demon possession, mental illness, drug use, whatever-is to be ignored. In some cases, professional help is needed and should be given when possible.

And how are we to decide who needs "professional help" and who do not? I think that none are to be ignored is a good thought. Few will not benefit from a change in lifestyle so that their brains might become more healthy.

Many do not want any help and go to great lengths to reject it. But, that does not mean that they cannot see or hear. We look for opportunities to reveal love to them.

Amen.

This is a tough one and should be handled carefully. Love goes a long way toward trust. Prayer to know what to do for them goes even further. As a church, we have not done enough in this field. I do not say that as one with a prescription for the cure, but I do know we need to do more for the mentally ill before psychiatrists and drugs are brought in. Sometimes, medication is needed, but before all, prayer holds the answer.

Quote from: Richard
Al gave us an example of how he attempted to help an old friend, but was rejected. That does not mean that his friend will not change later down the road. We cannot know. We are to be plowing the ground and planting seed. Others may do the reaping. There are many ways to show love to the "lowest of the low", but if we follow the lead of Jesus, we shall meet with success. He spent more time healing than preaching.

Amen. If anyone knows that you love them enough to show a genuine concern for them, they never forget it.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2014, 02:25:26 PM »
Amen, Mimi!!  That is the bottom line. And, let's not fool ourselves. We do not have that genuine article of love. That only comes when Jesus has possession of the heart. Then we can love the unlovable in the right way. A mother's love goes a long way, but we need the kind of love that goes much further.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
You are absolutely right. And that does not happen without Jesus owning our hearts. No, a mother's love is not enough. It can never be enough. Oh, He can work through a mother or a father, or anyone who has given themselves over to Him. But, it is not their power that is working, it's His.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
One last thought and probably the most important one:

We cannot effectively help the outcast until we have the love that only His Spirit imparts. That love is a representation of God’s character and with it comes power to witness as we ought.

His character and His power – we need it. We pray for the outpouring of the Holy Spirit to fall upon us but are we ready for it? We are classed as the Laodiceans. Do we have God’s character reproduced in us? God will never send his latter rain power to people who do not have His character. Sometimes we want His power but we don’t want His character. We are rich and in need of nothing.   And God says, in essence, I will give you My power when you rightly reflect My character. His rebuke in Revelation 3 shows we are in great need. Norman McNulty reminded me of this in a timely sermon. It was on my mind and I was compelled to share it.

Al

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2014, 06:55:16 PM »
The self-righteous have filled that empty hole in their lives with themselves. They have religion, and all the answers and are satisfied with a form of godliness without the power. Of this class Christ said "They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick."  Christ continued by saying "I came not to call the righteous but sinners to repentance." Mark 2:17

Hi, Al. It has been a very busy week and thank you so much for your contributions to the lesson. I have been reading but have not stopped long enough to post. Maybe it is when considering the term, "bottom dwellers," I didn't like the term. Truth be known, it seems that most of us could be called that because of where we were at one point or another in our lives. But through God's grace, we submitted to be transformed and lifted out of the muck and mire.

You said: The self-righteous have filled that empty hole in their lives with themselves. I think of bottom dwellers in the same light. There is a huge hole in their lives and they fill it with self. How is that any different from the self-righteous? A focus on one's self is the point of each group. Some want out and some do not. In fact, they are in the same group, no different as far as character goes. It is what gets them to be bottom dwellers that appears to be different. We also can consider the degrees of sin attached to each group, but it is sin none-the-less and both groups appear to be hopeless without God. We are either forming a character for heaven or for hell.

My wife and myself do not like the term "bottom dwellers" we spent a few minuets trying to come up with another name. But did not come up with anything we liked. Later in the lesson the term "social outcasts" was used this might have a better ring to it.

Your point is well taken about bout the lower class and upper class they both at times can steel themselves from being helped and the root problem is the same. I think this is why the lesson pointed out that Christ leveled the playing field as all need salvation they cannot gain it buy wealth, education or by being homeless.

I certainly understand about having busy weeks. It seems that sometimes after I go to church and listen to the comments by others on the lesson that I feel like I have really missed allot of the true intent of the lesson. So I have been spending more time in the morning making it my main meal. What a blessing.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
No, bottom dwellers hits the mark. You two did well to come up with that. It's the truth of the definition that stings sometimes. I thought about it as I went about my work this week and came to the unfortunate decision that the term fits.

Wally

• Romans 8:35, 38, 39
I stuck my neck out in SS class this morning by pointing out (on behalf of my fellow "bottom dwellers"  ;) ) that, when compared to the rest of God's universe, we're all" bottom dwellers."  We're the only rebels in the universe, the only ones plagued with pride.  How created beings can be proud of anything is puzzling since, as Paul said, we don't have anything that is self-generated, nothing that we didn't receive from elsewhere.  Or, if you prefer the term "social outcasts," we're that, too, compared to all of God's loyal citizens throughout the universe.

We've just set up our own value system, in which we look down on certain members of society to build ourselves up.  In reality, we all swim in he same cesspool.  Some of us have our heads above "water," and some don't.  We're called to give a helping hand to those who are sinking.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Al

Hi Wally,

Very well said. It could be that some are legends in their own minds and feel pretty good because swim at the top of the cesspool while other are bottom feeders. But no matter they are all in the same pool.  But you are certainly correct for those who can see the blue sky they should share the view.

Wally how did the class respond to your comments? I would have liked to heard the discussion.

Our teacher used the role play suggested in the teachers quarterly.  When I sat down for class the teacher was handing out little slips of paper to the class members. Each had the different name which represented those who are normally snubbed by society. It was our responsibility to become the person as described on the paper.  Then the teacher would ask each person a series of questions and the rest of the class needed to guess who they were. Mine was a high school dropout and another was panhandler and so forth. I felt the exercise was good as it attempted to put you into the other persons shoes.

Did any other classes this Sabbath use this approach? And if so, did you think it was helpful?

Al

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2014, 04:40:09 PM »
Amen! I would like to add one bit to this idea, When George come over to my house and chops wood for me, I am willing to do for George something he cannot do for himself. Is this grace? No, it is not. What other condition must apply for me to extend grace to another?

Richard I would like you to continue your thoughts on your question.

Yes, I will Al. But, first let's see if anyone has some thoughts on the example. Grace is more than a word, it is the transforming power that is seen in the life of all who are in a converted state. It is what changes the cold heart into a heart of flesh (soft, loving, and kind).

I did not forget about you Richard. You have given us a little insight to your illustration. I was hoping someone would jump in and try to answer but I am sure they have been busy like myself. So if you would share with us more about your illustration. I am not really sure where you are going with this?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Thanks for reminding me, Al.  Grace is everything to us. My example was "when George comes over to my house and chops wood for me, I am willing to do for George something he cannot do for himself. Is this grace? No, it is not. What other condition must apply for me to extend grace to another?"  I was ready to reward George for something he did for me. It is true that I did something George could not for himself, but that is not grace. Grace is when we extend an unmerited favor. This is what engenders love. And that love begets love.  It is when we see this great Sacrifice that God has made for us that our evil hearts are subdued and we allow Christ to cleanse them. We are saved by the revelation of this grace (Ephesians 2:8 ). Grace is the power that transforms the life.

When our heavenly Father agreed to allow Jesus to come to this Earth to suffer and die in the place of sinners, was there any good thing in us to recommend this great Sacrifice? In other words, did we deserve this kind of treatment? The Bible says "For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:6-8.

I appreciated what George did for me and I wanted to reward him for it.  "For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them." Luke 6:32.

Jesus calls us to be a reflection of Him extending grace to others. Sinners love those who love them, we are called to do as God has done, to love those who do not deserve that love. This is grace.
"Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you." Matt. 5:43,44.

Evidence of true conversion is seen when we have power to love the unlovable. That kind of love comes from an indwelling Saviour.  Does this help, Al? If we would spend time getting to know our God, if we would behold His matchless unmerited love (grace), we would be changed into His image from glory to glory. We work for social outcasts not because we can expect something in return, but because we love them as Christ loves us.

Wally

• Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Hi Wally,

Very well said. It could be that some are legends in their own minds and feel pretty good because swim at the top of the cesspool while other are bottom feeders. But no matter they are all in the same pool.  But you are certainly correct for those who can see the blue sky they should share the view.

Wally how did the class respond to your comments? I would have liked to heard the discussion.

If anyone disagreed with me, they didn't speak up, and the teacher agreed with me.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10