Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Lessons From Nature / Re: From Sea to Shining Sea
« Last post by JimB on January 20, 2018, 07:37:58 PM »
I had a little time this Sabbath afternoon for a hike in God's creation. I'm glad I chose this place.

Lessons From Nature / Re: Lessons in the Stars {Astronomy]
« Last post by Wally on January 20, 2018, 11:16:50 AM »
Pleiades is an interesting constellation.  I believe the stars in that constellation move in a cluster, while the ones in Orion are moving away from each other.
Prayer / Re: Prayer Requests
« Last post by JimB on January 20, 2018, 10:47:54 AM »
Cp, will be praying for your situation and mother.
The Desire of Ages / Re: The Desire of Ages--33--Who Are My Brethren?
« Last post by Richard Myers on January 20, 2018, 10:41:17 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine.  When the heart is swept clean, it must be filled with something. If we do not fill it with Christ, then Satan will fill it for us. We must guard the avenues to the mind. We must fill the mind with thoughts of Christ. It is by beholding Him that we fill the mind with His truth.

We have an important part to play in our salvation. Jesus tells us to feed upon Him, for He is the bread of life. He is the Manna which came down from heaven. We must drink His blood and eat His flesh. It would be well to spend a thoughtful hour each day contemplating the life of Christ. Jesus speaks to us today that this is the key to maintaining our relationship with Him.

When the soul surrenders itself to Christ, a new power takes possession of the new heart. A change is wrought which man can never accomplish for himself. It is a supernatural work, bringing a supernatural element into human nature. The soul that is yielded to Christ becomes His own fortress, which He holds in a revolted world, and He intends that no authority shall be known in it but His own. A soul thus kept in possession by the heavenly agencies is impregnable to the assaults of Satan. But unless we do yield ourselves to the control of Christ, we shall be dominated by the wicked one. We must inevitably be under the control of the one or the other of the two great powers that are contending for the supremacy of the world.
Amen, Brother Glen.  At times we may not feel like rejoicing, and we may not be able to sanctify ourselves. What has Jesus said that I can do that I night be sanctified and rejoice that I have died to self and abide in Christ? How do I die daily? What must I do that I will walk in the Spirit rather than in the flesh? How is it that we can maintain that experience we obtained when we were first converted?
Prayer / Re: Prayer Requests
« Last post by Dorine on January 20, 2018, 10:00:18 AM »
CP I have prayed for your Mother Liz and will continue to do so. This is a very sad and heartbreaking situation for you to face. But it is our privilege to lift her up to the Healer of every malady. It also gives you an opportunity to show her God's love by your patience and compassion. God will give you the grace you need.
Sunday January 21

A Relationship With Christ

Love of worldly possessions, even by those who don’t have much, can be a powerful chain that binds the soul to the world instead of to Christ. Even if we don’t have much in terms of earthly possessions, the passionate desire to attain material goods can become a terrible curse that will, if not brought under the control of the Lord, lead a soul away from salvation. Satan knows this, which is why he uses the love of material possessions to ensnare as many as he possibly can.

What is our only protection?

We are selfish by nature. We must be changed in nature. How can that be? We may  become partakers of God's divine nature. "Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust." 2 Peter 1:4. While we retain our fallen nature, when we are converted, we also become partakers of God's divine nature which empowers us to escape from our vile flesh. When the Holy Spirit takes up residence in the heart, He cleanses it and brings with Him all of the fruits of the Holy Spirit, not one is missing. This and this only is our protection against any sin, including making the things of this world more important to us than Jesus.

“Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.” Col. 3:2.
How do we do what Paul tells us to do? (See also Ps. 119:11, Eph. 6:18.)

By beholding we become changed in what we want. Selfish desires are ended and new desires fill the heart of all who love Jesus supremely. If we will focus our lives on the life of Christ, His grace will transform the life, the thoughts and affections (2 Cor. 3:18).

What other texts can you find that talk about what we should be keeping our mind focused on? (See, for example, Phil. 4:8.)

What does Jesus tell us to do? Does He not tell us that man does not live by bread alone, but by every Word that proceeds out of the mouth of God? Does He not tell us to "drink His blood and eat His flesh"? What does He mean? When He rebuked a leader of Israel, Nicodemus, did He not inform him how it is that he could be converted (born of the Spirit)? He did. What did He say to Nicodemus that would lead Nicodemus to a conversion experience?

The only cure for worldliness, in whatever form it comes, is a continual devotion to Christ (Ps. 34:1) through the ups and downs of life. Moses “esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt” (Heb. 11:26) he forsook Egypt. Before any other relationship, Christ must be our first priority. Christ is looking for a commitment based on conviction, not on preference; that is, we must be devoted to Christ because of who He is and what He has done for us, not because of any immediate advantages our faith and commitment to Him might bring.

In other words, we must love God with all of the heart, not part of it as some believe and teach. "And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." Deuteronomy 6:5.

Our lives are to be hidden in Jesus, and His plans are to be our plans. True commitment is putting our hand to the plow without “looking back” (Luke 9:62). When we make that kind of commitment, Jesus elevates us to our full potential. When we surrender to Him, He will break the world’s hold upon our souls. We must become Christ-centered instead of stuff-centered; that alone will fill the void in our lives.

We must have Jesus. Unless He has the whole heart, and we are filled with the Spirit, we are none of His. "But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his." Romans 8:9.

Think about a time you acquired a material possession, something that you really wanted badly. How long did the joy and fulfillment last before it faded away and you were right back where you started?

It is true that if we obtain a material possession for the wrong reason, then after a period of time, it does not bring the same joy as when we get it. But, are there not other times when a converted Christian obtains a material possession that the motive was different? That we are given things that God wants us to have. Why did I want it badly? Because it will help me help others. If I really want to help my neighbor with doing a certain project that requires a certain tool, think of the joy that comes when I can do that. And, why would the joy go away if I can continue to use the tool to do the Lord's work? I know that in my life, there are tools that I use for ministry and even for my existence that I continue to rejoice and am thankful that God has provided them for me.

How I rejoice when I get in my car and it starts. God is so very GOOD!!! On the other hand, my car is not a luxury car. I did not buy it brand new, and it gets very good gas mileage. I continue to rejoice that I have it. I do remember the day I bought a Corvette (before my conversion). I was very excited. But, after awhile the fun wore off and I had a very large monthly payment to make. So, again, where is the heart? Who has it? If it is fully surrendered to Christ, then the things we obtain are to His glory, not our own.

The all important question that we are addressing this week is the relationship we need to have with Jesus. In order to have love, joy, and peace we need to have Christ in the heart. Once we discover we cannot have love, joy, and peace without Him, the question then becomes, how do we obtain this relationship? How is that we develop a relationship with anyone?

Lessons From Nature / Re: Lessons in the Stars {Astronomy]
« Last post by JimB on January 20, 2018, 09:18:32 AM »
Yes Wally, Orion is indeed in the lower right. That picture was taken on November 8th, 2017 about 11pm. Now, if you will go up the picture almost straight above the belt of Orion about 2/3rds of the way there is another set of stars that is named specifically in the Bible.
The Desire of Ages / Re: The Desire of Ages--33--Who Are My Brethren?
« Last post by Dorine on January 20, 2018, 07:55:11 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. When we finally give our all to Jesus we find that His yoke is easy and His burden is light just as He promised. Matt. 11:30. What a chapter this is. It covers so many profound truths. If we are not careful we can feel rather smug reading of the sins of the Pharisees and the family of Jesus thinking we would never be like them but then I read this.....

"It is not only by resistance but by neglect that the soul is destroyed. "When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man," said Jesus, "he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none. Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished. Then goeth he and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there."

And how and why does this happen?

"There were many in Christ's day, as there are today, over whom the control of Satan for the time seemed broken; through the grace of God they were set free from the evil spirits that had held dominion over the soul. They rejoiced in the love of God; but, like the stony-ground hearers of the parable, they did not abide in His love. They did not surrender themselves to God daily, that Christ might dwell in the heart; and when the evil spirit returned, with "seven other spirits more wicked than himself," they were wholly dominated by the power of evil."

It's that DAILY surrender inviting Christ to be the King of our lives for that day that keeps the enemy shut out. That knowledge should make us cling to Him every moment of every day, as if our life depends on it because it does.
a Bible text...that answers the question what must I do when I awake in the morning

...sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always... 1 Peter 3:15

...rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily. 1 Corinthians 15:31

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10