Author Topic: Third Quarter--2013--SDA SS LESSON 2--Prayer: The Heartbeat of Revival  (Read 15191 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Discussion Questions:

Why do we need to pray if God knows everything?

That would assume that we are praying to tell God something. But, we know He already knows. So, why pray?  My most often prayed prayer is "God take my heart for I can't give it, I believe, take away my unbelief."  It is not to tell God what He does not already know. I am praying for help that only He can give. It is His Spirit that I need. Do you know that without His Spirit you can do no good thing? Have you seen that without Jesus you are under condemnation because you can only sin  continually? Have you come to the point where Saul did when he prayed "O wretched man that I am, who can deliver me from this body of death?" If we have never arrived at that point, then it must be that the Laodicean message applies.  It is a very hopeful message that says when we arrive at that point, there is Help.

By the way, my most often prayer is not a conditional prayer. It is a prayer that all may pray, righteous or not.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
When an individual or a church is need of revival and reformation, prayer is so very important. Let's look at Elijah, a man of God who was walking with God and depended upon prayer. "Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months. And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit."

When upon Mount Carmel he offered the prayer for rain, his faith was tested, but he persevered in making known his request unto God. Six times he prayed earnestly, and yet there was no sign that his petition was granted, but with strong faith he urged his plea to the throne of grace. Had he given up in discouragement at the sixth time, his prayer would not have been answered, but he persevered till the answer came. We have a God whose ear is not closed to our petitions; and if we prove his word, he will honor our faith. He wants us to have all our interests interwoven with his interests, and then he can safely bless us; for we shall not then take glory to self when the blessing is ours, but shall render all the praise to God. God does not always answer our prayers the first time we call upon him; for should he do this, we might take it for granted that we had a right to all the blessings and favors he bestowed upon us. Instead of searching our hearts to see if any evil was entertained by us, any sin indulged, we would become careless, and fail to realize our dependence upon him, and our need of his help.

Elijah humbled himself until he was in a condition where he would not take the glory to himself. This is the condition upon which the Lord hears prayer, for then we shall give the praise to him. The custom of offering praise to men is one that results in great evil. One praises another, and thus men are led to feel that glory and honor belong to them. In 2010 at Atlanta, our new General Conference president refused the applause of the church. He understood the danger of praising man. And, he wanted the church to know that it was God whom was speaking through him. We praise God that the General Conference president sees himself as a servant of the true Leader of His church. As we present ourselves in the same position, servants at the foot of the cross, then our prayers will be answered in a most amazing manner in His time.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
I am convicted that I need to pray more for myself, my family, my friends, and those I meet on the street. Jesus is waiting to answer our prayers.

That is a serious conviction and how much more we should pray! It is so very easy to keep the circle of our prayers confined to ourselves and family members especially when one of God's controlled burns is at its height, the focus narrows yet the needs of others do not disappear, they are still there. One of the very best ways to relinquish the reins of self is to begin earnest prayer for others, even those we don't know "on the street." Even a present trial is eased and grace is more abundant when we do. I have noticed that more times than I can count.

Oh how dull we become while attempting to figure out why we are not progressing as we should. Heaven has the answers if only we would ask in the name of Christ Jesus. 
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Amen, Mimi!! That is precisely why Jesus speaks to us today in the manner He has. We do not realize our condition as a people.  It applies to someone else. We do not take it to heart and see if the application applies to us. Prayer will surely help, if our prayer is for God to show us our sins.  Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if [there be any] wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." Psams 139:23, 24.  Forgotten verses.
Discussion Questions:

What other reasons can you give for the importance of prayer, especially as we seek revival and reformation?

I want to address this with the request to discuss in Sabbath School how the "great controversy" is being manifested in your church. Remembering what the controversy is between Christ and Satan, can you see it being played out in your church....in the world church?  In last week's lesson I quoted Ellen White.
"I was shown that the testimony to the Laodiceans applies to God's people at the present time, and the reason it has not accomplished a greater work is because of the hardness of their hearts. But God has given the message time to do its work. The heart must be purified from sins which have so long shut out Jesus."

Put these three subjects together and we will see the importance of prayer when there is the call for revival and reformation in the church. "The great controversy between Christ and Satan, that has been carried forward for nearly six thousand years, is soon to close; and the wicked one redoubles his efforts to defeat the work of Christ in man's behalf and to fasten souls in his snares. To hold the people in darkness and impenitence till the Saviour's mediation is ended, and there is no longer a sacrifice for sin, is the object which he seeks to accomplish. When there is no special effort made to resist his power, when indifference prevails in the church and the world, Satan is not concerned; for he is in no danger of losing those whom he is leading captive at his will. But when the attention is called to eternal things, and souls are inquiring, "What must I do to be saved?" he is on the ground, seeking to match his power against the power of Christ and to counteract the influence of the Holy Spirit."DD 5. Yes, we need prayer that we might awaken to our danger and flee to Christ.

Are those in your church seeking what they must do to be saved? Many have not the slightest concern about doing anything to be saved, for they are being taught that Christ did it all, that they have nothing to do. They believe they are rich and increased with goods and in need of nothing. Yes, prayer for ourselves and for our church is so very important.

Lastly, tomorrow in Sabbath School remember to share the prayer of Daniel that Al brought to our attention in Daniel 9:4-19, the man with whom none could find fault, the man who because of his faithfulness to God was willing to be fed to the lions. Daniel was in captivity and prayed for Israel to be delivered, he knew the 70 years was about up. Judah was surely Laodicean and God had used Babylon to chastise them. Daniel pleaded for the honor of God to be preserved. In his petition he identified himself fully with those who had fallen short of the divine purpose, confessing their sins as his own.

What a prayer was that which came forth from the lips of Daniel! What humbling of soul it reveals! The warmth of heavenly fire was recognized in the words that were going upward to God. Heaven responded to that prayer by sending its messenger to Daniel. In this our day, prayers offered in like manner will  prevail with God. "The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." As in ancient times, when prayer was offered, fire descended from heaven, and consumed the sacrifice upon the altar, so in answer to our prayers, the heavenly fire will come into our souls. The light and power of the Holy Spirit will be ours.

Have not we as great need to call upon God as had Daniel? Are we not living in the very last period of this earth's history. Do you have a burden for our churches, our schools, and our institutions? The God who heard Daniel's prayer will hear ours when we come to Him in contrition. Our necessities are as urgent, our  difficulties are as great, and we need to have the same intensity of purpose, and in faith roll our burden upon the great Burden-bearer. There is need for hearts to be as deeply moved in our time as in the time when Daniel prayed.  Yes, prayer is so very important when the church is need of revival and reformation. Let my prayers be foremost for me, that the revival and reformation begin in my heart.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
I am convicted that I need to pray more for myself, my family, my friends, and those I meet on the street. Jesus is waiting to answer our prayers.

That is a serious conviction and how much more we should pray! It is so very easy to keep the circle of our prayers confined to ourselves and family members especially when one of God's controlled burns is at its height, the focus narrows yet the needs of others do not disappear, they are still there. One of the very best ways to relinquish the reins of self is to begin earnest prayer for others, even those we don't know "on the street." Even a present trial is eased and grace is more abundant when we do. I have noticed that more times than I can count.

Oh how dull we become while attempting to figure out why we are not progressing as we should. Heaven has the answers if only we would ask in the name of Christ Jesus.

Amen! Dull?  I spent a half hour with Sam today. I had been away from home and was tired and needed a shower and rest, but I knew God had put Sam in my path. I had bought my wife some flowers at Trader Joes. Sam was outside encouraging the public to support the criminalization of using plastic bags. It gave me an open door to share some important truths which would coincide with his interest in right doing keeping our water and air clean. He had to be interested in health.  :)  We left with him being more interested in preserving our water and air by not killing animals to eat them.  It takes a lot more water and energy to raise a pound of cow than a pound of almonds. 

The point is that after doing a "good work" in planting seed, how easily  I forgot to ask God to water the seed that had been planted. Yes, I probably would have remembered but the point is that why wait and take a chance on forgetting Sam?  Yes, we are indeed dull! Lord wake us up!!

Al

Richard,

After thinking about the lesson on Zechariah and the oil flowing from the golden tubes it made me realize more than ever how much God wants to communicate with us. The heavenly messengers as ascending and descending because Christ has opened a channel to connect us with heaven. These messengers  want to impress our minds but we need to be tuned in. I am sure we have all have experienced this to some degree. Your experience with Sam is a good illustration  you were impressed to spend time with him and not only that but you were also aided by the Holy Spirit when you talked to him. And let us not forget the flowers for your wife. It is the little things of life that makes a big difference.

We miss many opportunities because our plug is loose in the outlet and it only gets contact occasionally. I have been praying to be more tuned with my surroundings. The plug needs to be firmly attached to the outlet for maximum results.
Jesus looked upon the distressed and heart burdened, those whose hopes were blighted, and who with earthly joys were seeking to quiet the longing of the soul, and He invited all to find rest in Him.  {DA 328.3}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Amen!

Al

Moses manifested his great love for the people in his entreaty to the Lord to forgive their sin, or blot his name out of the book which he had written. His intercessions here illustrate Christ's love and mediation for the sinful race. The Lord refused to let Moses suffer for the sins of his backsliding people. He declared to him that those who had sinned against him he would blot out of his book which he had written; for the righteous should not suffer for the guilt of the sinner. The book here referred to is the book of records in Heaven, where every name is recorded, and their acts, their sins, and obedience, are faithfully written. When any one commits sins which are too grievous for the Lord to pardon, their names are erased from the book, and they are devoted to destruction. Although Moses realized the dreadful fate of those whose names should be dropped from the book of God, yet he plainly declared before God that if the names of his erring Israel should be blotted out, and be no more remembered by him for good, he wished his name to be blotted out with theirs; for he could never endure to see the fullness of his wrath come upon the people for whom he had wrought such wonders.  {1SP 252.2} 

This statement is wonderful it shows both God's love and justice. It is easy to have this love that Moses had when things are moving along good for us. But Moses demonstrated this love for a sinful backsliding people. Christ prayed for those who where nailing him to the cross. The rabbis where disappointed with Jesus because he hang out with the "publicans and sinners" but Christ came to save sinners. Moses was working with God in reaching the lost. The love of God was manifest in his life.
Jesus looked upon the distressed and heart burdened, those whose hopes were blighted, and who with earthly joys were seeking to quiet the longing of the soul, and He invited all to find rest in Him.  {DA 328.3}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Yes, Al. I want to have that level of love for the brethren.

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
Why would it be that revival need not be expected without prayer?

Prayer is the breath of the soul. And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.
Matthew 21:22

Prayer is the breath of the soul. It is the secret of spiritual power. No other means of grace can be substituted and the health of the soul be preserved. Prayer brings the heart into immediate contact with the Wellspring of life, and strengthens the sinew and muscle of the religious experience. Neglect the exercise of prayer, or engage in prayer spasmodically, now and then, as seems convenient, and you lose your hold on God. The spiritual faculties lose their vitality, the religious experience lacks health and vigor.—(Messages to Young People, 249, 250.)

Power will come from God to man in answer to the prayer of faith. Testimonies for the Church 4:402

Prayer is heaven’s ordained means of success in the conflict with sin and the development of Christian character. The divine influences that come in answer to the prayer of faith will accomplish in the soul of the suppliant all for which he pleads. For the pardon of sin, for the Holy Spirit, for a Christlike temper, for wisdom and strength to do His work, for any gift He has promised, we may ask; and the promise is, “Ye shall receive.”
(The Acts of the Apostles, 564.)
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Our theme song this quarter is very appropriate for this week's lesson:

I Will Early Seek the Saviour
L. M. Bateman

I will early seek the Savior,
I will learn of Him each day;
I will follow in His footsteps,
I will walk the narrow way.

Refrain
For He loves me, yes, He loves me,
Jesus loves me, this I know.
Jesus loves me, died to save me,
This is why I love Him so.

I will hasten where He bids me,
I am not too young to go
In the pathway where He leadeth,
Not too young His will to know.

He is standing at the doorway
Of escape from every sin;
I will knock, for He has promised,
He will hear and let me in.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Last week I reported on how my Sabbath School class had accepted the message given by Jesus in Revelation chapter three to the Laodicean Church. How is it with your classes? Is there acceptance of this message? Or are some resisting the call for revival and reformation? Do some believe they are rich and increased with goods and in need of nothing? Jesus is coming soon. This message is a matter of life and death, eternal life and death.

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
He is standing at the doorway
Of escape from every sin;
I will knock, for He has promised,
He will hear and let me in.

I love the many ways God likens His approach to sinful, Laodicean "me".

Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if (you, Glen, THIS MORNING) hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to YOU, and will sup with YOU, and YOU with me.  Revelation 3:20

2 Corinthians 5:
20 ...God.
21 ...hath made Christ to be sin for "me"...though He knew no sin; that "I" might be made the righteousness of God in him.

He declares: I am the door: by me if YOU enter in, YOU shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
John 10:9

Jesus is coming soon. All true Believers who have an indwelling Saviour, have bought that Gold tried in the fire, which is Christ's faith; they have renounced their former life; the wretched poverty, blind nakedness of their past life; they are become indeed rich and increased with God's goodness, His righteousness, and in need of nothing, reckoning themselves  to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:11 This message is a matter of  eternal life and death. There comes a settling into the truth so that they cannot be moved. Colossians 1:23

Hebrews 12:
28 Wherefore I, receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved... I have grace, whereby I may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:
29 For our God is a consuming fire.

Isaiah 33:
14 Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings?
15 He that walketh righteously, and speaketh uprightly; he that despiseth the gain of oppressions, that shaketh his hands from holding of bribes, that stoppeth his ears from hearing of blood, and shutteth his eyes from seeing evil...

Luke 17:
21 ...the kingdom of God is within "ME".

"Dying with Jesus a death reckoned Mine; living with Jesus a new life divine" (Author: D. W. Whittle Tune: WHITTLE)
 -With my eyes fixed, as it were (in spiritual death which, by Christ's faith becomes life abundant) on Jesus in this death that is His, I may face this day with heartfelt rejoicing!

Where there is not only a belief in God’s Word, but a submission of the will to Him; where the heart is yielded to Him, the affections fixed upon Him, there is faith—faith that works by love and purifies the soul. Through this faith the heart is renewed in the image of God. And the heart that in its unrenewed state is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be, now delights in its holy precepts, exclaiming with the psalmist, “O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.” Psalm 119:97. And the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in us, “who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.” Romans 8:1. The Faith I Live By, p. 90.4
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood