Author Topic: Fourth Quarter--2013--SDA SS LESSON 3--Sacrifice  (Read 18089 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Fourth Quarter--2013--SDA SS LESSON 3--Sacrifice
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 01:57:29 PM »
It is interesting that when God addressed Abraham about Isaac that he mentions two important things  take "thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest," God was taking that which was closest and dearest  to Abraham's heart  in order for him and us to understand that God took that which was closest and dearest's to his heart in offering His Son to die for the world.

Now, Al has begun to open our minds to how it is that killing an innocent animal can bring one closer to God. In this case, God has asked Abraham to sacrifice his own son. This is the closest test ever given to man. An animal is one thing, one's son is so much more painful. I said I would withhold my comments on Tuesday's lesson until others were given a chance to share. It is much better to allow the Holy Spirit to open our minds rather than be taught by man. It was hard to not share, for as I said, the story of the offering of Isaac is to me the most beautiful story in the Bible. Now, let us put the pieces together so that we can know how it is that the sacrificial system of types and shadows was given that man might be converted through being reconciled to God.

Abraham was to take his dear son and offering him as a sacrifice taking his own knife he was to put an end to Isaac's  life. Just as it was a struggle for Abraham to offer his only son so it was also a struggle for God.

Don't think it was easy for God to allow Jesus to step in between Adam and death, it was not.

The story of Bethlehem is an exhaustless theme. In it is hidden "the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God." Romans 11:33. We marvel at the Saviour's sacrifice in exchanging the throne of heaven for the manger, and the companionship of adoring angels for the beasts of the stall. Human pride and self-sufficiency stand rebuked in His presence. Yet this was but the beginning of His wonderful condescension. It would have been an almost infinite humiliation for the Son of God to take man's nature, even when Adam stood in his innocence in Eden. But Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life. 

Satan in heaven had hated Christ for His position in the courts of God. He hated Him the more when he himself was dethroned. He hated Him who pledged Himself to redeem a race of sinners. Yet into the world where Satan claimed dominion God permitted His Son to come, a helpless babe, subject to the weakness of humanity. He permitted Him to meet life's peril in common with every human soul, to fight the battle as every child of humanity must fight it, at the risk of failure and eternal loss.

The heart of the human father yearns over his son. He looks into the face of his little child, and trembles at the thought of life's peril. He longs to shield his dear one from Satan's power, to hold him back from temptation and conflict. To meet a bitterer conflict and a more fearful risk, God gave His only-begotten Son, that the path of life might be made sure for our little ones. "Herein is love." Wonder, O heavens! and be astonished, O earth!  The Desire of Ages; pg. 48, 49. 

Here we see the reality of the love that God has for us while we were yet sinners. The only thing we can say is "Wonder, O heavens! and be astonished, O earth!"  What does this do to your heart as you read it? If you are not moved, then your heart has become hardened and you are in great danger of losing your opportunity to be saved. What is revealed is "grace".  It is the unmerited favor of God towards the sinner. It is this grace by which we are saved. This is how the killing of a lamb was to bring the sinner closer to God. It reveals His grace. The Lamb, represented God's innocent Son dying in place of the sinner. Grace. It was by beholding this grace that the heart was to be changed. In other words, it was assumed that the sinner needed to be converted when he brought his sacrifice to the sanctuary. He was following the command to do so. It was with the confessing of his sin and the slaying of the lamb that the sinner was to be brought to repentance as he realized the enormity of his sin. It would cause the suffering and death of Jesus.

Now, let us put this together with Scripture that the lesson might forever be solidified in our minds. Al shared this that helps.

"The plan of salvation had been laid before the creation of the earth; for Christ is "the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world" Revelation 13:8 yet it was a struggle, even with the King of the universe, to yield up His Son to die for the guilty race. But "God so loved the world, that He gave His only-begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16. Oh, the mystery of redemption! the love of God for a world that did not love Him! Who can know the depths of that love which "passeth knowledge"? Through endless ages immortal minds, seeking to comprehend the mystery of that incomprehensible love, will wonder and adore."  {PP 63.3}  

It is love that awakens love and this love is what brings us to true repentance and this is when we bring our lamb seeking pardon for our sins. "Then he is gracious unto him, and saith, Deliver him from going down to the pit: I have found a ransom." Job 33:24

Amen!!  Here is the underlying principle that is at work when the sinner slays the lamb. "Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?" Romans 2:4. Do we see the goodness of God in the sacrificial system? That is why it was given. It was a portrayal of the goodness of God in allowing Jesus to suffer and die in place of the sinner. The whole ceremonial law was to teach that Jesus would suffer and die in place of the sinner. "Godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation..." 2 Corinthians 7:10. The understanding of the lesson given in the slaying of the lamb was to create in man a godly sorrow for sin. Do you see that this is precisely what Adam experienced as he killed that first lamb? He sorrowed over the truth that his sin was going to cause the blood of Jesus to be spelt. This caused Adam much more pain than the killing of an innocent lamb.

So, when the sinner brought his lamb into the sanctuary courtyard, he may not have been penitent until he killed the lamb. It was then that it was forcefully brought to his mind the cost of his sin. The grace of God was to be seen and that is why God commanded Adam and all who lived before the cross to kill a lamb. The teaching had been perverted so that when the Jews brought their lamb to the temple, they thought that they were pleasing God by killing the lamb. They thought they were earning heaven because of their sacrifice, when in fact it merited nothing towards salvation. They did not know of God's great love because they did not know that the lamb represented Jesus. The teaching was so perverted that even after 3 1/2 years of being with Jesus, the disciples still did not understand that the dying lambs and bulls represented their Savior. When Jesus died on the cross, they lost their faith because Jesus did not save Himself.

Now that we understand why God commanded the death of the sacrificial animals, what does that mean to us? It means that much of the Bible will make more sense. The Book of Hebrews will be easier to understand, as will Daniel and Revelation since they are written using a lot of sanctuary terminology. The killing of the lamb does not mean as much to us as to those who lived before the cross. We have the blazing glory of the cross before us. We do not have to look at types and shadows, but the reality, the anti-type, Jesus Christ hanging upon the cross.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 02:11:58 PM »
Wednesday October 16

Life for a Life

Read Leviticus 17:10-11.

17:10   And whatsoever man there be of the house of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn among you, that eateth any manner of blood; I will even set my face against that soul that eateth blood, and will cut him off from among his people. 
  17:11   For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul. 

What function does God give to the blood?

In a passage where God instructs the Israelites not to eat any blood, He provides an interesting reason for this prohibition: blood stands for life, and God has made sacrificial blood a ransom for human life. One life, represented by the blood, ransoms another life. The principle of substitution, which became explicit on Mount Moriah when Abraham offered the blood of the ram in the place of the blood of his son, is firmly anchored in God’s legal requirements for ancient Israel.

Blood not only "stands for life", as a symbol, it carries life. Life is "in the blood." It is an important truth that we need to understand. If we want to have good health, we must have good blood, for life is indeed in the blood. The blood carries oxygen and nutrients necessary for life. In order to live we need blood. A newly conceived child cannot live without blood. It is wholly dependent upon its mother for life until it develops its own circulatory system. When a baby that is being formed in the womb develops a heart and blood system, then it can be separated from its mother. Without its own blood, it cannot live without another source of blood. Life is in the blood.

As in Genesis 22, God shows that it is He Himself who provides the means for atonement; in the Hebrew the I in “I have given it to you” (Lev. 17:11) is emphasized. We cannot provide our own ransom. God must give it.

The concept is different from that of other religions that use sacrifices. In the Bible, it is not a human who approaches God and knows how to appease Him; it is God, rather, who provides the means for a person to come into His holy presence. And in Christ, He Himself provides the blood for ransom.

Read 1 Samuel 15:22 and Micah 6:6–8.

15:22   And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams. 
  6:6   Wherewith shall I come before the LORD, and bow myself before the high God? shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves of a year old? 
  6:7   Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, or with ten thousands of rivers of oil? shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? 
  6:8   He hath showed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God. 

It is interesting that God uses our duty to obey in place of a sacrifice. Today, many point to those who obey as Samuel is pointing to the sacrifices as being useless for salvation. But, God had commanded both obedience and the sacrifices. Why is God calling for obedience instead of sacrifice? "Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice."

What are some of the dangers of the ritual system?

God never intended the sacrificial service to be a substitute for the attitude of the heart; on the contrary, the sacrifices were to open the heart of the believer to the Lord. If we lose sight of the fact that sacrifices express a spiritual relationship between God and us, and that they all point to a much greater sacrifice, Jesus Christ, we could easily mistake the sacrificial ritual for an automatic apparatus for making atonement. Besides sacrifice, God really wants our hearts to be right with Him (Ps. 51:16-17). Consistently the Israelite prophets accused the people of false piety and called for them “to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God.” (Mic. 6:6–8; compare Isa. 1:10-17).

Here we find the answer to my question in Monday's lesson that we have been discussing. "The sacrifices were to open the heart of the believer to the Lord."  But, I wanted more detail as to how the sacrifices were to open the heart of the sinner to God. And, we have now seen that. It is called grace. And that is the power that transforms the life. "2:5   Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved.)" Ephesians 2:5.

In what ways do we face the same danger as expressed above? Why is it often so hard to realize that we could be doing exactly what the ancient Israelites did in this area? How can we avoid this mistake?

God called for the killing of the lamb. God calls for obedience. Both were of His government for our salvation. Both can be misconstrued as having merit towards salvation. Both can be wrongly understood to be necessary to "earn" salvation. Only the sacrifice of Christ can atone for our sins. When those before the cross obeyed God and made sacrifice, they were not saved by it, but they were to learn about God's sacrifice that would be made one day. As the blood from the lamb was spilled, it was to be seen as the blood of God's dear Son that would be spilled in order to make atonement for their sins. The lamb was only a type or shadow, or symbol of Christ. The lamb's blood was a shadow of the blood of Jesus. The sinner merited no favor with God for killing the lamb. It was God's way of teaching the truth that man could only be saved by accepting the suffering and death of Christ.

How do we avoid the "legalism" that Israel fell into? How do we escape the lie that by obedience we are saved? If we look at Israel's experience, we can learn from it. Satan has succeeded today in the same manner he succeeded with Israel. The people were greatly deceived by their teachers. They had been taught that their Messiah was going to sit on David's throne and rule over the nations. They were looking for a temporal blessing instead of a spiritual blessing. They did not see that they needed to be changed, to be born again of His Spirit. They believed they were "rich and increased with goods and in need of nothing" because they were God's chosen people entrusted with the sacred oracles of God. They did not know they needed the grace of God in their hearts. They did not know they needed to behold Jesus in order to changed into His likeness. They thought they were saved without Jesus in their hearts. It was all foreign to them. How is it with us? Do we know we need the Spirit of God indwelling our hearts? Do we understand that by beholding Jesus we become changed into His character? Do we know that if we do not possess His Spirit, we are none of His (Romans 8:9)? Do we believe Jesus when He tells us we must be born of His Spirit, or are we just as blind as was Nicodemus as to his need of Jesus in the heart?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 08:38:49 PM »
Thursday October 17

Sacrifices Today/Living Sacrifice

Though after Christ’s sacrificial death there was no more need for animal sacrifices, the New Testament does talk about the need for another kind of sacrifice instead.

According to these texts, what kind of offerings are we to bring to God today?

Rom. 12:1-2
  12:1   I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 
  12:2   And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. 

Phil. 4:18
  4:18   But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God. 

Heb. 13:15-16
  13:15   By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name. 
  13:16   But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased. 

1 Pet. 2:5.
  2:5   Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ. 

Terminology from the sacrificial system worked very well in describing the early Christian concept of what it meant to live a life totally consecrated to God. In fact, even when Paul was thinking about his martyrdom, he described himself as a drink offering. "Yea, and if I be offered upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I joy, and rejoice with you all." "For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand." Phil. 2:17, 2 Tim. 4:6.

What specific message is given us in Romans 12:1?

12:1   I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 

In what ways are we to manifest this truth in our own lives?

A “living sacrifice” means that the entire person is given to God. It includes the dedication of the body (Rom. 12:1) as well as the transformation of the inner being (vs. 2). We are to be set apart (“holy”) for the sole purpose of serving the Lord. Christians will present themselves wholly to the Lord because of the “mercies of God,” as described in Romans 12:1–11, which present Christ as our sacrifice, the means of our salvation.

In this context, Paul’s appeal is for Christians to imitate Christ. A true understanding of God’s grace leads to a life consecrated to God and to a loving service for others. Surrender of self and the desires of self to the will of God is the only reasonable response to Christ’s ultimate sacrifice for us.

Amen! Here the author reveals again the truth that it is our understanding of God's grace that "leads to a life consecrated to God and loving service to others." So....if the sacrifice of a lamb was to lead to conversion as the sinner saw what his sin would do to Christ, how is it today that we are to see this grace of God?

In the end, there has to be a harmony between our understanding of spiritual and doctrinal truth and our service to others. Every aspect of life should express the believer’s genuine commitment to God. True worship is never only inward and spiritual; it must encompass outward acts of selfless service. After all, think about what our Lord has done for us.

"Think about what our Lord has done for us."  Those living before the cross were to "think about what God was going to do for us." They looked forward to the cross, while we look back. The author has pointed us to the sacrifice of Christ. What about this "harmony between our understanding of spiritual and doctrinal truth and our service to others"? Which is more important, the inward and spiritual or the outward deeds of selfless service?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 11:39:37 PM »
Julius has reminded us that there are some of us who live in the East and their Sabbath will begin in advance of those of us who live in the West. So, we have delayed the lessons to give all a chance to participate, but now we are approaching the end of our time of study. So we will finish the week's lesson tonight for those in Australia and beyond.

Friday October 18

Further Study: “It had been difficult even for the angels to grasp the mystery of redemption—to comprehend that the Commander of heaven, the Son of God, must die for guilty man. When the command was given to Abraham to offer up his son, the interest of all heavenly beings was enlisted. With intense earnestness they watched each step in the fulfillment of this command. When to Isaac’s question, ‘Where is the lamb for a burnt offering?’ Abraham made answer, ‘God will provide Himself a lamb;’ and when the father’s hand was stayed as he was about to slay his son, and the ram which God had provided was offered in the place of Isaac—then light was shed upon the mystery of redemption, and even the angels understood more clearly the wonderful provision that God had made for man’s salvation.”—Ellen G. White, Patriarchs and Prophets, p. 155.

Amen! Let's take a closer look at the lesson.  Abraham had been offering sacrifices as can be seen in the story. Both he and Isaac knew there needed to be lamb to sacrifice. It was not a mystery to Abraham as to the meaning of the ceremony. He understood. But, understanding can always be deepened, and deepened it was.

What did Abraham feel when he was about to bring the knife down on his son? What would you feel if you were in his place. It was very hard for Abraham to take his own son's life. By faith he was going to do it, but it was not easy and he experienced great sorrow and pain. At the moment he was about to slay his son, God stopped him. At that very moment, Abraham saw a ram caught in the thicket. Now, the Holy Spirit reminded him of the meaning of the lamb; it represented God's Son that would die because of our sins. Abraham saw the reality that while he had been spared taking the life of his loved son, God would not spare His own Son. He understood that our heavenly Father would suffer has he had suffered, but would not be spared the final agony of seeing His Son suffer and die. Abraham could feel the Father's pain. "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad." John 8:56. Abraham saw that God loved him so very much that He would suffer seeing His own Son suffer and die so that Abraham's son and all sinners might have an opportunity to live eternally. Wonder O heavens and be astonished O Earth!

Discussion Questions:

“Our feet will walk in his paths, our lips will speak the truth and spread the gospel, our tongues will bring healing, our hands will lift up those who have fallen, and perform many mundane tasks as well like cooking and cleaning, typing and mending; our arms will embrace the lonely and the unloved, our ears will listen to the cries of the distressed, and our eyes will look humbly and patiently towards God.”—John Stott, Romans (Downers Grove, Ill.: InterVarsity, 1994), p. 322. In what ways does this quote show what it means to be a “living sacrifice”? Why is it that only through death to self could we ever be able to live like this?

As we saw during the week’s lesson, one of the great problems that the people faced was seeing the sacrificial system as an end in itself instead of a means to an end—that end being a life wholly consecrated to God, a consecration that reveals itself in loving service to others. In what ways are Seventh-day Adventists (who have been given so much light), especially in danger of going down the same path, perhaps now thinking that the great truths we possess are an end in and of themselves, instead of a means to the end?

Spiritual things are spiritually discerned. To an unconverted people, the danger is very real. We must buy of Jesus "gold tried in the fire" which is faith that works by His love. We must buy of Him "white raiment" which is His character that He will freely give to all who make a full surrender of self. We must buy of Him "eye salve" that we might see. We must study the life of Christ that we might see His great love and be reconciled to Him who gave all for us. We must come out from under the great deception that we are saved when not filled with His Spirit. Our only hope is in being born of His Spirit. We must be fully surrendered that Jesus might live in our hearts.

Dwell more on the story of Abraham and Isaac on Mount Moriah. However troubling this story is, one could argue that it was meant to be troubling, meant to cause consternation and distress. Why do you think anyone would argue that it was meant, among other things, to evoke those emotions in the reader?

They would argue only if they do not know the character of our God. Because it was for us as well as for Abraham, it gives us great assurance that God's love is powerful enough to save all who will come to Him through Christ Jesus. It is a beautiful portrait of God's willingness to suffer that we might live. That He would allow His innocent Son to suffer and die at the risk of failure and eternal loss is the most amazing truth we shall ever know! That the whole universe could know of this love is the purpose for which Jesus was born into this sin darkened world. It is our privilege to hasten the end of "the great controversy" between Christ and Satan. We have not done that which has been entrusted to us as a people. Let us redeem the time that we have wasted and give honor and glory to God and our Savior, Jesus Christ.

We must be revived and reformed as a people. That revival will come when we take time to look upon Jesus hanging upon the cross. He is the Lamb of God which taketh away the sins of the world. He takes them away by taking them unto Himself. What a God! "When we more fully comprehend the magnitude and meaning of the great sacrifice made by the Majesty of heaven in dying for man, the plan of salvation will be glorified before us, and the thought of Calvary will awaken sacred and living emotions in the Christian's heart. Praise to God and to the Lamb will be in our hearts and upon our lips; for pride and self-worship cannot flourish in the heart that keeps fresh in memory the scenes of Calvary.  The Bible Echo, September 15, 1892.

juliusnyar

• Julius Alfayo
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2013, 03:49:54 AM »
Thanks alot Richard for considering us who start the Sabbath early may God bless you so much.
If we set our eyes on the cross and keep in mind that Jesus died for us when we deserved to die and then turn away from our evil ways God promises us that we will become new creatures. He will give us power to keep his statues because he would have put a new heart in us.
happy Sabbath in advance

Al

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2013, 07:18:36 AM »
Thursday October 17

"Think about what our Lord has done for us."  Those living before the cross were to "think about what God was going to do for us." They looked forward to the cross, while we look back. The author has pointed us to the sacrifice of Christ. What about this "harmony between our understanding of spiritual and doctrinal truth and our service to others"? Which is more important, the inward and spiritual or the outward deeds of selfless service?

Richard I have been thinking about this the last couple of weeks. I find that some people belief that having Bible information or truth is equal to conversion. If I have the right info then I must have a right life. I have heard some people say down with doctrine and up with Christ but I say put Christ back into the message. All the truths in the Bible should had something to say about the amazing love of God. If what we belief is not life transforming then it is not the truth as it is in Jesus.

In light of Romans 12:1 we are to have healthy minds so that we can render better service to God. Our live styles can affect the way we act around others. The first angels message is about giving glory to God. And what does it mean to give Glory to God? 
Jesus looked upon the distressed and heart burdened, those whose hopes were blighted, and who with earthly joys were seeking to quiet the longing of the soul, and He invited all to find rest in Him.  {DA 328.3}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2013, 10:00:35 AM »
Thursday October 17

Richard I have been thinking about this the last couple of weeks. I find that some people belief that having Bible information or truth is equal to conversion. If I have the right info then I must have a right life. I have heard some people say down with doctrine and up with Christ but I say put Christ back into the message. All the truths in the Bible should had something to say about the amazing love of God. If what we belief is not life transforming then it is not the truth as it is in Jesus.

Amen, Al!  And even if it is transforming, we know of some who were transformed and fell away. So, a knowledge of the truth is not enough to insure our inheritance in heaven. We must finish the race. We must continue to abide in Christ. We must feed upon Jesus continually if we want to maintain our Christian experience. So, which is more important "the inward and spiritual or the outward deeds of selfless service?"  We cannot have one without the other. Which comes first? The "inward and spiritual" indwelling of God's Spirit is the only we can manifest "the outward deeds of selfless service." Without Jesus we cannot die to self. It is His Spirit that empowers a sinner to become a saint. It is Christ, not I.

In light of Romans 12:1 we are to have healthy minds so that we can render better service to God. Our life style can affect the way we act around others. The first angels message is about giving glory to God. And what does it mean to give Glory to God?

"Fear God and give glory to Him..."  What does it mean to give glory to God? Julius Did touch on this in his last post.

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2013, 07:40:37 AM »
Until they sinned they were clothed with beams of light, God's glory, they were filled with His Spirit.

I'm afraid that my comment/thought is not really a direction that is intended for the lesson but none-the-less I wanted to say something that struck me as I read this.

I can't help but wonder if this light of God's glory (evidence of partaking in the divine nature) was the same light that shone from Moses' face after spending time with God where the hebrews then asked Moses to veil his face.

Until they sinned they were clothed with beams of light, God's glory, they were filled with His Spirit.

Cry out and shout, thou inhabitant of Zion: for great is the Holy One of Israel in the midst of thee. Isaiah 12:6

That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. 22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: John 17:21, 22

...We need to have our souls humbled before God, that every heart may drink in the truth and let it work in the life a reformation that will convince the world that this is indeed the truth of God. Let the life be hid with Christ in God. Only when we seek the Lord as little children, when we cease picking flaws in our brethren and sisters, and in those who are seeking to carry faithfully the responsibilities of the work, and seek to get our own hearts right with God, can he use us to the glory of his name. GCB June 6, 1909, par. 14

When I think of the great work there is to be done, and see how few there are who realize the magnitude and importance of the work, and the shortness of time in which to do it, I feel that I must get right out as I did in my younger days. Then I labored when I was no stronger than I am now, and I saw the power of God revealed in a remarkable manner. I have seen the room in which we were gathered filled with the glory of God, not one sitting in his seat, but all lying prostrate upon the floor. And when they were able to speak, the glory of God shone in their faces and the praise of God was upon their lips. It is not always the brightest talent that accomplishes the most for the cause of God. God can speak through a humble mind if that mind is consecrated to him and to his service. When we catch the spirit of the message which is to lead souls to choose between life and death, we shall see a work done that we do not now dream of. GCB June 6, 1909, par. 15

The white robe of innocence was worn by our first parents when they were placed by God in holy Eden. They lived in perfect conformity to the will of God. All the strength of their affections was given to their heavenly Father. A beautiful soft light, the light of God, enshrouded the holy pair. This robe of light was a symbol of their spiritual garments of heavenly innocence. Had they remained true to God it would ever have continued to enshroud them. But when sin entered, they severed their connection with God, and the light that had encircled them departed. Christ’s Object Lessons, p. 310.4

Purity of Christ's robe same texture as that robe of light worn by Adam and Eve:
By His perfect obedience He has made it possible for every human being to obey God’s commandments. When we submit ourselves to Christ, the heart is united with His heart, the will is merged in His will, the mind becomes one with His mind, the thoughts are brought into captivity to Him; we live His life. This is what it means to be clothed with the garment of His righteousness. Then as the Lord looks upon us He sees...own robe of righteousness, which is perfect obedience to the law of Jehovah. Christ’s Object Lessons, p. 311.4

Jesus Christ is everything to us—the first, the last, the best in everything. Jesus Christ, His Spirit, His character, colors everything; it is the warp and the woof, the very texture of our entire being...
The Faith I Live By, p. 150.3
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Glen

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2013, 08:26:57 AM »
Jim and Allen have pointed us back to THE Sacrifice. Not only do we need to better understand why Christ had to die, and how it brings us to a full surrender, but we need to understand that we must come to the foot of the cross and experience this full surrender every day. "I die daily." Let us better understand how the sacrifice of Christ brings one to conversion.

From Monday's lesson:

Why would offering a sacrifice bring the sinner into a closer relationship to God?

Through acknowledging God by obeying His command to slay a Lamb, the Penitent Sinner drew near to God, comprehending that the consequence of having broken the Word of God in having sinned, brings condemnation and the judgment of death upon the head of the sinner. Slaying the Lamb with his own hand, the Penitent expressed belief and acceptance of the Lamb "slain from the foundation of the world" for Reconciliation of the soul to God and his fellowman; thus, love is the fulfilling of the law. Romans 13:10

Philippians 2:4-8
4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
6 Who, being in the form of God...
7 ...made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Romans 12:1
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

To "Die Daily" is to ...reckon...yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:11

For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by HIS LIFE. Romans 5:10

...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2013, 09:12:59 AM »

The white robe of innocence was worn by our first parents when they were placed by God in holy Eden. They lived in perfect conformity to the will of God. All the strength of their affections was given to their heavenly Father. A beautiful soft light, the light of God, enshrouded the holy pair. This robe of light was a symbol of their spiritual garments of heavenly innocence. Had they remained true to God it would ever have continued to enshroud them. But when sin entered, they severed their connection with God, and the light that had encircled them departed. Christ’s Object Lessons, p. 310.4

By His perfect obedience He has made it possible for every human being to obey God’s commandments. When we submit ourselves to Christ, the heart is united with His heart, the will is merged in His will, the mind becomes one with His mind, the thoughts are brought into captivity to Him; we live His life. This is what it means to be clothed with the garment of His righteousness.

Amen, Glen. We cannot give glory to  God unless we are reconciled to Him and filled with His Spirit. When Adam sinned his connection with God was severed. He had no glory to give to God until he was reconnected or reconciled to God.  So it is with us, we must be born again and filled with His Spirit before we can give glory to God. To this end the sacrifices were to be made.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2013, 09:25:36 AM »

Why would offering a sacrifice bring the sinner into a closer relationship to God?

Through acknowledging God by obeying His command to slay a Lamb, the Penitent Sinner drew near to God, comprehending that the consequence of having broken the Word of God in having sinned, brings condemnation and the judgment of death upon the head of the sinner. Slaying the Lamb with his own hand, the Penitent expressed belief and acceptance of the Lamb "slain from the foundation of the world" for Reconciliation of the soul to God and his fellowman; thus, love is the fulfilling of the law. Romans 13:10

Yes, Glen, this is all true. Clarify for us exactly what brings the sinner to repentance. Why did the system fail to work for most of the Jews?

Glen

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2013, 03:56:00 PM »

Yes, Glen, this is all true. Clarify for us exactly what brings the sinner to repentance. Why did the system fail to work for most of the Jews?

..."exactly what brings the sinner to repentance"?
...Repentance is no less the gift of God than are pardon and justification, and it cannot be experienced except as it is given to the soul by Christ. If we are drawn to Christ, it is through His power and virtue. The grace of contrition comes through Him, and from Him comes justification. The Faith I Live By, p. 110.3

"Why would offering a sacrifice bring the sinner into a closer relationship to God?"

Though it was God's purpose to bring reconciliation with Him through the lamb sacrifice, offering a sacrifice does not necessarily "bring the sinner into a closer relationship to God" any more than doing good with an heart far from God.  Had Cain brought the required lamb without blemish,  it would have been indicative of an inward humility and obedience; he would have done "well" (Genesis 4:7).

-You remember the story of King Saul in
1 Samuel 15:
22 Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.
23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king.

Saul had not a high and exalted sense of the excellence and terrible majesty of God. He had not a sacred regard for his appointed ordinances. With an impetuous spirit because Samuel did not appear at the appointed time, he rushed before God presumptuously, and undertook the sacred work of sacrifice. While equipped for war, he built the altar and officiated for himself and the people. This work was sacredly given to those appointed for the purpose. This act was a crime in Saul, and such an example would lead the people to have a low estimate of the religious ceremonies and ordinances sanctified and appointed of God, prefiguring the sinless offering of his dear Son. God would have his people have a holy regard and sacred reverence for the sacrificial work of the priests, which pointed to the sacrifice of his Son. Spiritual Gifts, Volume 4a, p. 69.1

Saul had cut himself off from every means whereby the Lord could work in his behalf to save him from himself...  ST October 5, 1888, par. 2

For Adam and Eve, and mankind through to the cross, it was God's intent for mankind to slay the Lamb with their own hand, (remembering that it was God who had first covered Adam and Eve with skins after they had lost the garment of light, thus replacing the fig leaves which were their own attempt to appear acceptable to God); accepting the divine purpose, the significance of the sacrifice of their lamb, which foreshadowed the sacrifice of the Lamb of God, the divine exchange of their life of Sin/sins for the LIFE and RIGHTEOUSNESS (good works, ie. fruit of the Spirit) of their God, to dwell in them henceforth (For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. Philippians 2:13; ...fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power... 2 Thessalonians 1:11).

Offering the lamb was intended to be a sign of acknowledgement  and acceptance by the Penitent of God's divine will in reconciliation, a sign of acquiescence to His Word, Jesus Christ the Lamb. Some, like Caleb, Joshua, Enoch, Elijah, experienced the 2nd Covenant BEFORE the Cross, Enoch and Elijah were even translated before the Cross. We, today, have the privilege, as well as they, having His WORD, Jesus Christ, written upon our hearts, His LIFE manifest in our mortal flesh; as, filled with His Spirit, our old life of sin dead indeed, unable to "the things that we would" (see Galatians 5:17), and through His death (Romans 6:4, 5) working His works "but life" in those who come to His Light through our (Christ in you) ministry of the Life of Christ. (2 Corinthians 4:10-12;  Our Father Cares, p. 132.5; Our Father Cares, p. 165.3;  Reflecting Christ, p. 73.5;  Selected Messages Book 1, p. 374.1).

To none will it be granted to enjoy the presence of Christ in the paradise of God if they do not enjoy his presence and love in this probationary life, if they do not have a likeness of character to him on earth. Since nothing short of Christlikeness is expected of the followers of Jesus, God has left abundant promises whereby this expectation may be fulfilled. The apostle says: “Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord, according as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him that hath called us to glory and virtue; whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises; that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.” The storehouse of unlimited resource is opened to all who knock in faith. ST September 12, 1892, par.5

"Why did the system fail to work for most of the Jews?"
Unbelief is the sin that so easily besets us; and this sin is obnoxious to God. However secret is its working in the heart, the guilty one stands revealed and convicted before heaven. The Redeemer of the world has pledged his word, saying, “Ask, and it shall be given you.” Is it any marvel then that the blessing of God is withheld when you dishonor his name by your unbelief? Who is it that has made to you these promises? It is He who “so loved the world, that he gave his only-begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” Who is it that says, “Ask, and it shall be given you”? Who is it that stands before the great multitude holding forth the divine promise?—It is He who came into the world to rescue us from the bondage of Satan, and make us free men and women in Christ Jesus. ST September 12, 1892, par. 6

...We may be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Receiving Christ, we are clothed with power. An indwelling Saviour makes His power our property. The truth becomes our stock in trade. No unrighteousness is seen in the life. We are able to speak words in season to those who know not the truth. Christ’s presence in the heart is a vitalizing power, strengthening the entire being.
Testimonies for the Church Volume 7, p. 71.1

Ephesians 5:
8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)
10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2013, 09:13:56 PM »
The sanctuary and its services were designed by God to teach sinful man the plan of salvation. As we continue to study this quarter, we shall see more clearly that the sacrifices offered by the sinner were to bring the sinner to repentance. It was a command by God to bring the sacrifice, but most who sacrificed were not converted when doing so. It was to illustrate to the sinner that the only way to obtain eternal life was to love God with all of the heart. The law condemns, but Christ came to save. We are saved by grace, so were the Jews and Adam before them. We look back to the cross to see God's Sacrifice (grace), but those before the cross had to see in the animal sacrifices that God's Son would suffer and die for their sins (grace). It is when the sinner killed the lamb that conversion was to come. If one can understand that the blood of the lamb represents the blood of Jesus, which it did, then how could they slay the lamb without being moved by such love? It is when this grace is seen that the heart is converted. It is a simple truth. "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God." Ephesians 2:8. This is what the sacrifice of the lamb was to reveal to the sinner as he cut the throat of the innocent lamb.

Most were deceived as to the meaning of the sacrifice. And, it continues until today. Many think there was some merit in killing the lamb. There was not. It was only a shadow of what was to come. A "shadow" that was to break the heart of the sinner. But, the teachers had perverted the truth, and the sinners did not know of God's great love (grace). They did not understand that God's dear Son was going to come to this dark world a helpless baby and would suffer and die on the cross. When Jesus was making His last trip to Jerusalem, Peter tried to stop Him. How could the disciples after 3 1/2 years not know that Jesus came to die?  They had been so deceived by false teachers, that even Jesus could not convince them He was the Lamb that was going to be slain on the last Passover. Such a deception!

Glen

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2013, 06:06:01 AM »
...If one can understand that the blood of the lamb represents the blood of Jesus, which it did, then how could they slay the lamb without being moved by such love? It is when this grace is seen that the heart is converted. It is a simple truth. "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God." Ephesians 2:8. This is what the sacrifice of the lamb was to reveal to the sinner as he cut the throat of the innocent lamb.

Most were deceived as to the meaning of the sacrifice. And, it continues until today. Many think there was some merit in killing the lamb...

We tend to have our eyes looking away back over 2,000 years to that first sacrifice of a lamb to represent Christ, the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world, (and that's good, for those first coming to understand the Plan of Salvation); however; yet, at the same time, the Godhead would have the newborn Christian grow up to the full stature and spiritual maturity of a man/woman in Christ, to meet the temptation of End-time and vindicate the character of God as it is manifest in their mortal flesh through His Spirit, His LIFE, for the transformation of the lost. His people will be doing exploits in the Spirit, not sinning and repenting, sinning and repenting, that "grace may abound".

God would have the Sinner find Him now, through the Christian whose life has been transformed by the union of the human with the divine; this, is what should "represent" the Lamb slain, as the Penitent reckon themselves baptized in the likeness of the death of Christ, taking up their cross and following the Lamb whithersoever He goeth; the very life of Christ shining in them through the impartation of His Spirit, permeating every fiber of our being.

The life of Christ on earth was "a shadow", as it were, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: Romans 8:3[/b] portraying to the Universe that in Penitent mankind, even Christ who He made... to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. 2 Corinthians 5:21 THAT  as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: John 1:12

Being filled with THE FRUITS OF RIGHTEOUSNESS, WHICH ARE BY JESUS CHRIST, unto the glory and praise of God. Philippians 1:11

It is by receiving the life for us poured out on Calvary’s cross that we can live the life of holiness. And this life we receive by receiving His word, by doing those things which He has commanded. Thus we become one with Him. My Life Today, p. 275.4

Christ must dwell in that man’s heart, just as the blood must be in the body and circulate there as a vitalizing power. I can not on this subject be too urgent. I can not press it home to you too strongly, that you shall not trust in self.—Letter 7, 1886 (April 26, 1886, to J. H. Kellogg).

It is essential to live by every word of God, else our old nature will constantly reassert itself. It is the Holy Spirit, the redeeming grace of truth in the soul, that makes the followers of Christ one with one another, and one with God. He alone can expel enmity, envy, and unbelief. He sanctifies the entire affections. He restores the willing, desirous soul from the power of Satan unto God. This is the power of grace. It is a divine power. Under its influence there is a change from the old habits, customs, and practices which, when cherished, separate the soul from God; and the work of sanctification goes on in the soul, constantly progressing and enlarging.—The Review and Herald, October 12, 1897.

The impartation of the Spirit is the impartation of the life of Christ. Those only who are thus taught of God, those only who possess the inward working of the Spirit, and in whose life the Christ-life is manifested, can stand as true representatives of the Saviour. Reflecting Christ, p. 131.4

...Jesus, dwelling in you, desires to speak to the hearts of those who are not acquainted with Him. Perhaps they do not read the Bible or do not hear the voice that speaks to them in its pages; they do not see the love of God through His works. But if you are a true representative of Jesus, it may be that through you they will be led to understand something of His goodness, and be won to love and serve Him.—Steps to Christ, 119.

Christ is to be multiplied in every man and woman who believes in Him, for they are to live over the life of Christ in blessing and enlightening and bringing hope and peace and joy to other hearts. Our Father Cares, p. 132.5

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2013, 08:28:29 AM »
We tend to have our eyes looking away back over 2,000 years to that first sacrifice of a lamb to represent Christ, the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world, (and that's good, for those first coming to understand the Plan of Salvation); however; yet, at the same time, the Godhead would have the newborn Christian grow up to the full stature and spiritual maturity of a man/woman in Christ, to meet the temptation of End-time and vindicate the character of God as it is manifest in their mortal flesh through His Spirit, His LIFE, for the transformation of the lost. His people will be doing exploits in the Spirit, not sinning and repenting, sinning and repenting, that "grace may abound".

God would have the Sinner find Him now, through the Christian whose life has been transformed by the union of the human with the divine; this, is what should "represent" the Lamb slain, as the Penitent reckon themselves baptized in the likeness of the death of Christ, taking up their cross and following the Lamb whithersoever He goeth; the very life of Christ shining in them through the impartation of His Spirit, permeating every fiber of our being.

Yes, Glen, you are right. We serve a living Savior. The work Jesus is doing in the Most Holy place is important to prepare a people who rightly represent Him. There is more than the cross. But, the love of God, His grace, is best seen at the cross. It is the great revelation of God's pardoning love. Even the 144,000 will still have to die daily. They are wholly dependent upon God's grace for their power to live in fallen flesh. In the Sabbath School lessons we are beginning with the sacrifices which all pointed to the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. This is the wonder of all wonders, that God would take the risk of allowing Jesus to come to this world to become one of us, to suffer and die for us while we were yet sinners! Such love!

Glen

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2013, 05:52:56 AM »
...the love of God, His grace, is best seen at the cross...the sacrifices...all pointed to the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

"...the sacrifices...all pointed to the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world."

Ah yes; however, the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world represented the Believer ...dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:11 God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation... 2 Corinthians 5:18 -the whole purpose being that:

Ephesians 1:
9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:
10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:
11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:
12 That we should be to the praise of God the Father, who first trusted in Christ.

As with Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever. Hebrews 13:8 the Believer; that ...new creature. Galatians 6:15 ...circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ: Colossians 2:11 (For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.) Philippians 3:3 ...are...to serve God...in the nature we have, that has been redeemed by the Son of God; through the righteousness of Christ we shall stand before God pardoned, and as though we had never sinned...Selected Messages Book 3, p. 140.5 So; Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth. Romans 8:33 Shall God's saints at End-time be criticizing and recriminating one another, or; rather, ...building up one another in our most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost... Jude 1:20 ...with groanings which cannot be uttered. Romans 8:26 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

Hebrews 10:
23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)
24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:

"Even the 144,000 will still have to die daily."
Oh yes; as, with Christ in them (Colossians 1:27) having ...put...on the Lord Jesus Christ...make no...provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof. Romans 13:14 ...able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Ephesians 6:13

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2013, 08:58:23 AM »
Glen, the lamb represents Jesus, not the believer. "Behold the Lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world." Why do you say it is the believer?

Glen

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2013, 09:26:39 AM »
Glen, the lamb represents Jesus, not the believer. "Behold the Lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world." Why do you say it is the believer?

Richard, thank you for your words caution; however, I did not, nor would I ever, suggest or imply that the sacrificial lamb does not represent Jesus. ...without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory. 1 Timothy 3:16 -This, "mystery of godliness", including the words following, is to be the "second nature" (2 Peter 1:4), eternal LIFE, of the Penitent.

I do humbly submit that the lamb which represents Christ also represents the Penitent as they, IN CHRIST, experience by faith the death and life/works of Christ in their mortal flesh (2 Corinthians 4:10; Romans 6:4, 5). For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 1 Corinthians 15:22 It was Christ himself that includes the Penitent in the Beloved, using the expression that as the Father is in Christ and Christ is in the Father, so we may "also be one in (them): that the world may believe that" the Father sent Christ/us ("Christ in you"). I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20

The word spoken to Jesus, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased,” embraces humanity. …The voice which spoke to Jesus says to every believing soul, This is My beloved child, in whom I am well pleased. From Heaven With Love, p. 67.6

John 1:
12 ...as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Christ says,
John 17:
20 Neither pray I for these alone (the disciples), but for them also ("whosoever will; even Glen) which shall believe on me through their word;
21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

...the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. Revelations 22:17

Don't be embarrassed, or think it "robbery" (see Philippians 2:6), to consider yourself "a fountain of life", but Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly... Colossians 3:16 and humbly share the Word of LIFE; the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. John 1:9:
He who drinks of the living water becomes a fountain of life. The receiver becomes a giver. The grace of Christ in the soul is like a spring in the desert, welling up to refresh all, and making those who are ready to perish eager to drink of the water of life. 
The Faith I Live By, p. 99.6

Hebrews 7:
25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.
26 For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens...

Romans 8:
3 ...God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
4 That
the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

...he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. Matthew 10:38

For (God) hath made (Christ the Lamb) to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

The theme of the Cross of Calvary, the death and resurrection of Christ, embraces the idea that the sinner is brought into and participates most intimately in the Plan of Salvation, as if the Penitent were speaking in the place of both the Father and the Son.

2 Corinthians 5:
...if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.

2 Corinthians 4:
10 Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.
11 For we which live are alway delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh.
12 So then death worketh in us, but life in you.

Christ taught that...In His person humanity, inhabited by divinity, was represented to the world...Jesus, our Saviour, “went about doing good” (Acts 10:38).... Gods Amazing Grace, p. 14.4

The Word is made flesh, and dwells among us, in those who receive the holy precepts of the word of God. Fundamentals of Christian Education, p. 378.1

...saviors of men, as Christ was. RH November 28, 1899, par. 9

The Penitent, in taking up his/her cross, are represented by the sacrificial lamb, to the very express "degree" that they have been baptized in the likeness of His death:

Those who love Jesus will bring all in their lives into harmony with His will.... Through the grace of God they are enabled to keep their purity of principle unsullied. Holy angels are close beside them, and Christ is revealed in their steadfast adherence to the truth. They are Christ’s minutemen, bearing, as true witnesses, a decided testimony in favor of the truth. They show that there is a spiritual power that can enable men and women not to swerve an inch from truth and justice for all the gifts that men can bestow. Such ones, wherever they may be, will be honored of heaven because they have conformed their lives to the will of God, caring not what sacrifices they are called upon to make. Gods Amazing Grace, p. 247.5

Romans 6:
3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.
8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

...all who are members of the kingdom of Christ will represent Him in character and disposition. Gods Amazing Grace, p. 14.5

When we individually rest upon Christ, with full assurance of faith, trusting alone to the efficacy of his blood to cleanse from all sin, we shall have peace in believing that what God has promised he is able to perform. As Christ represented the Father, so we are to represent Christ to the world. We cannot transfer our obligation to others. God desires to make known to you what is the richness of his glory, that you may preach the mystery of salvation to those around you,—Christ in you the hope of glory. RH March 5, 1889, par. 6

What speech is to thought, so is Christ to the invisible Father. He is the manifestation of the Father, and is called the Word of God. God sent His Son into the world, His divinity clothed with humanity, that man might bear the image of the invisible God. He made known in His words, His character, His power and majesty, the nature and attributes of God. Divinity flashed through humanity in softening, subduing light. He was the embodiment of the law of God, which is the transcript of His character (Manuscript 77, 1899).

...These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth... Revelations 14:4

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2013, 07:58:23 AM »
Thank you, Glen. I understand what you are saying about Jesus. I have never heard anyone say the lamb represents the believer.  It may confuse some who are having difficulty with the lesson. The lamb was a type or shadow that died a real death to teach that Jesus would die a real death. The penitent believer does not have to die because Christ has died in his place.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2013, 08:49:16 AM »
Amen. When representing "the sacrifice" in the sanctuary service, we know who that is: Jesus.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89