Author Topic: Third Quarter--2013--SDA SS LESSON 1--Revival: Our Great Need  (Read 30180 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Third Quarter--2013--SDA SS LESSON 1--Revival: Our Great Need
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2013, 12:54:23 PM »
lukewarm  gives the Lord a hard timetime deciding what to do with us. Make us permanent hot or cold.

He wants us to be one or the other and He does not determine which we will be. We do. There is free will involved. Either we repent and return to him (become hot again) or we turn away (cold). Lukewarm is disgusting to Him. He wants us to make a decision. Of course, He wants us to decide upon eternal life and live.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2013, 01:04:10 PM »
Amen and amen!!  Why does He really want us one way or the other? I can see a couple of very good reasons.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

wigina

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2013, 07:21:14 PM »
After I choose to be hot and steadfast in him, Then He will stand up and will ask satan, have you considered my servant wigina? That there is none like him? And the devil will ask the Lord to remove His hedge around me so that He would persecute to the point of death. And yet it will not be I living but my Lord Jesus in me and as He has overcome so to will I overcome!
Now that is a true promise that the Lord has asked me to claim and am gonna claim it in Jesus name.

Wally

• Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2013, 04:10:06 AM »
As I was preparing to lead out in the lesson study for this Sabbath I came across these statements from Ellen White.  I'm sure I've read them before, since I've read all of the Testimonies, but I don't remember them, and they are quite relevant to our lesson for this week.

Speaking of Laodiceans, she says, "They profess to love the truth, yet are deficient in Christian fervor and devotion. They dare not give up wholly and run the risk of the unbeliever, yet they are unwilling to die to self and follow out closely the principles of their faith. . . .  They are neither unconcerned nor selfishly stubborn. They do not engage thoroughly and heartily in the work of God, identifying themselves with its interests; but they hold aloof and are ready to leave their posts when their worldly personal interests demand it. The internal work of grace is wanting in their hearts; of such it is said: 'Thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked.'"  4T, p. 87. 

Paul's words come to mind:  Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Wally

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2013, 04:22:30 AM »
Pardon me if someone has already posted this, but I thought it was interesting. 

Someone once said (and I can't remember who it was) that revival without reformation leads to fanaticism; reformation without revival leads to legalism.  I think there is a lot of truth to that statement.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2013, 05:54:48 AM »
...Someone once said that revival without reformation leads to fanaticism; reformation without revival leads to legalism...

Doesn't your quoted description fit Laodicean theology, nicely, embracing all professed Christendom, ecumenically? (We generally, primarily consider "Laodicea" as complacent SDA'-ism.)

Christ overcame every temptation of the enemy, because in him divinity and humanity were combined; but there is no safety for any soul who has merely a legal religion, a form of godliness, a round of ceremonial ex-actions. To attend services on the Sabbath, to pray occasionally or regularly, makes no one a Christian...The question to ask the soul is, “Am I a partaker of the divine nature, represented as being born again? 2ST 9-26-92.04 
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2013, 05:44:26 AM »
How were the discussions in Sabbath School yesterday? Ours was lively yet somber. The hard questions were asked and only few braved answers. Self is our problem. We clearly saw that in the lesson. The divine service message hit "self" again through an examination of the first commandment - "Thou shalt have no other gods before me." Sabbath was awash with spiritual blessings cutting to the heart of the matter. That we could have more such as that one is my prayer. Actually, I know we will. Revival and reformation will do its work among God's people so we may be fitted for His service.

Wally

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2013, 07:22:33 AM »
I should not be the person to comment on our lesson study yesterday, since I was the one leading out.    But I tried to bring out the unpleasant realities of the Laodicean condition, and it seemed to go well.  I may have messed with their minds a bit when I suggested that a person in a Laodicean condition will not be likely to recognize it because they think all is well--so how can they be reached?  No one dared venture an answer, so I said that it could only come through the promptings of the Holy Spirit and that some Laodiceans might need a "Damascus Road" type experience to wake us up.  No one disagreed.

Al

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2013, 07:41:25 AM »
I should not be the person to comment on our lesson study yesterday, since I was the one leading out.    But I tried to bring out the unpleasant realities of the Laodicean condition, and it seemed to go well.  I may have messed with their minds a bit when I suggested that a person in a Laodicean condition will not be likely to recognize it because they think all is well--so how can they be reached?  No one dared venture an answer, so I said that it could only come through the promptings of the Holy Spirit and that some Laodiceans might need a "Damascus Road" type experience to wake us up.  No one disagreed.

Very good question Wally it might be well for us to try to answer this question here? How do we get from lukewarm to hot if we don't see our need? The Holy Spirit is always at work for many in your class  this question will still be in their minds. Wally did you have a answer for this question before you asked it? Don't want to put you on the spot but if you would like please share.

The other thing I would have liked for us to discuss some more is what "hot" is. I have some ideas on this but wonder how others understand hot.
Jesus looked upon the distressed and heart burdened, those whose hopes were blighted, and who with earthly joys were seeking to quiet the longing of the soul, and He invited all to find rest in Him.  {DA 328.3}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2013, 09:03:42 AM »

Exactly. How can we know what we don't know if not through the Holy Spirit?

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2013, 09:14:34 AM »
The other thing I would have liked for us to discuss some more is what "hot" is. I have some ideas on this but wonder how others understand hot.

Here are some examples of some who were hot so we can see exactly what that looks like by the characters of these persons:

Abraham
Enoch
Moses
Hosea
Jeremiah
Isaiah
Ezekiel
Daniel
John the Beloved
Paul and countless others through history. We have the hot among us.

What do they have in common? A love for God that surpasses everything else in their lives. They listened to the voice of God. They communed with Him throughout the day, every day. He was ever on their minds and their lives were wholly given over to Him. They spared nothing for Him and His cause.

They were wholly converted. They did not have the Romans 7 experience.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2013, 09:35:06 AM »
Yesterday was the best Sabbath School I have ever seen. Pastor Finley set it up for the church. Nothing could have been better to awaken a sleeping church to its condition. There is never enough time to cover the lesson completely in depth. But, knowing that we would not be able to address all points in the lesson, we got to the main point of the lesson. Pastor Finley wanted to open to the church that to be in a Laodicean condition is to be in a lost condition. Asking the church if this is true, all agreed. None disagreed that there are those teaching that we are saved in our sins, thus we are being told that all is well, when all is not well. When looking into the faces of the class, it was so very encouraging that most were seeing the truth about the serious nature of the subject. None, not one, disagreed with the lesson.  It was my joy to be able to then share why I see this as so encouraging. When Pastor Wilson was elected GC president, he began calling for revival and reformation in his first sermon to the world church. He has continued for the last three years. He has Pastor Finley working full time in this area. Now, the world church hears the Laodicean message as it was inspired by Jesus. His Words with a correct interpretation. Looking into the faces of the class I could say "Jesus is coming soon!" That we are here today listening to this message, is evidence that the last thing that needed to be done so that Jesus can come, is for the church to repent of her backsliding and to do the work appointed to her. Thus, the very hard rebuke, having been acknowledged, opened the way for the Words of Jesus to encourage the church. I shared the promise in One Testimonies where Ellen White said this message will accomplish its work. "I was shown that the testimony to the Laodiceans applies to God's people at the present time, and the reason it has not accomplished a greater work is because of the hardness of their hearts. But God has given the message time to do its work. The heart must be purified from sins which have so long shut out Jesus. This fearful message will do its work. When it was first presented, it led to close examination of heart. Sins were confessed, and the people of God were stirred everywhere. Nearly all believed that this message would end in the loud cry of the third angel. But as they failed to see the powerful work accomplished in a short time, many lost the effect of the message. I saw that this message would not accomplish its work in a few short months. It is designed to arouse the people of God, to discover to them their backslidings, and to lead to zealous repentance, that they may be favored with the presence of Jesus, and be fitted for the loud cry of the third angel. As this message affected the heart, it led to deep humility before God. Angels were sent in every direction to prepare unbelieving hearts for the truth. The cause of God began to rise, and His people were acquainted with their position. If the counsel of the True Witness had been fully heeded, God would have wrought for His people in greater power. Yet the efforts made since the message has been given, have been blessed of God, and many souls have been brought from error and darkness to rejoice in the truth."

Some will reject this message as just too strong. Pride will not be given up. But, the message will be given, is being given, and will do its work. The message is given so that we may see what shuts Jesus out of our hearts. Such a strong rebuke to say this. But, if we love God and want to glorify Him in our lives, we will fall on our faces and repent of our unloveliness. Then will the church be on fire for Jesus. Al asked, what does it mean to be "hot" instead of "lukewarm"? What will we see in the church as this message does its work in the hearts of church members? Is this going to cause a shaking in the church?

Mimi, said that we have an example throughout the Bible of what "hot" is. Will we see a revival of this kind of character in the church today? It is interesting that her comment as to what they had in common was not what we generally would think of, obedient strong men who often faced great trials because of their refusal to yield up the truth. She pointed out their strong love of and dependence upon God. Is this what we are about to see in the Seventh-day Adventist Church?

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2013, 09:36:55 AM »
Yes.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2013, 09:39:45 AM »
Amen! Are we appropriately thankful and rejoicing?  Jesus is coming soon, very soon!!!

Al

« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2013, 10:27:24 AM »
Mimi,

This is a very good list of those who love and serve God. This made me think of Isaiah when it comes to this topic it is stated "Isaiah had denounced the sin of others; but now he sees himself exposed to the same condemnation he had pronounced upon them. He had been satisfied with a cold, lifeless ceremony in his worship of God. He had not known this until the vision was given him of the Lord. How little now appeared his wisdom and talents as he looked upon the sacredness and majesty of the sanctuary. How unworthy he was! how unfitted for sacred service! His view of himself might be expressed in the language of the apostle Paul, "O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?"  {4BC 1139.1}  Here we have the man of Roman 7 crying out for that which he did not have and Isaiah had to come to the same point in his experience before he could take hold of the promises of God.

"He had not know this (his true condition) until the vision was given him of the Lord." What did Isaiah see in this vision?

" I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and his train filled the temple.
Isa 6:2  Seraphim were standing above him: each had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he flew.
Isa 6:3  And one called to the other and said, Holy, holy, holy is Jehovah of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory!
Isa 6:4  And the foundations of the thresholds shook at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke.

What must we see in order to have a true understanding of ourselves? "So will it be with all who behold Christ. The nearer we come to Jesus, and the more clearly we discern the purity of His character, the more clearly shall we see the exceeding sinfulness of sin, and the less shall we feel like exalting ourselves. There will be a continual reaching out of the soul after God, a continual, earnest, heartbreaking confession of sin and humbling of the heart before Him. At every advance step in our Christian experience our repentance will deepen. We shall know that our sufficiency is in Christ alone and shall make the apostle's confession our own: "I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing." "God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world." Romans 7:18; Galatians 6:14.  {AA 561.2}  I also see this as the answer for Wally's question.

Richard very glad that things went well in class. God is moving on hearts and pray that we all respond so that we can give glory to His name.

Jesus looked upon the distressed and heart burdened, those whose hopes were blighted, and who with earthly joys were seeking to quiet the longing of the soul, and He invited all to find rest in Him.  {DA 328.3}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2013, 11:22:35 AM »
Amen! There are only 2 places in the Bible where the word "wretched" is used. Romans 7 and Revelation 3.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2013, 03:04:13 PM »
Amen!  Very good thought, Al.  The Laodicean condition is just what Saul and Isaiah experienced before conversion. And, the solution to their condition is just what Jesus offers to us in Revelation chapter three when He tells us to buy of Him gold tried in the fire, white raiment, and eye salve. We need to see the character of our God, His love for us while we were yet sinners.  We need to come to very same point as did Saul when he cried out "O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?" Until we see our lost condition we cannot be saved. It is only when we see our need that we shall turn to Jesus with the whole heart. This is the Laodicean message. It reveals our need of Jesus and His great love for us.

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2013, 06:21:08 AM »
At every advance step in our Christian experience our repentance will deepen. We shall know that our sufficiency is in Christ alone and shall make the apostle's confession our own: "I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing." "God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world." Romans 7:18; Galatians 6:14. {AA 561.2}

Christians will know their sufficiency is in Christ alone, as He knew His sufficiency was in the Father, alone.

John 2:24, 25
24 ...Jesus...knew all men,
25 And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew what was in man.

John 5:30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

Romans 8:3, 4
3 ...God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

John 7:18
He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.

Hebrews 10:20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh...
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2013, 07:38:20 AM »
Amen, Glen!!  But, because there are two forks in the road, before ceasing to teach, it is necessary to block the other fork also, or else many will remain led astray by the "evangelical gospel" which is no gospel at all.  "I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.  I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:12,13. And, in context "Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.  Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin. Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.  For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another." 1 John 3:2-11.

Al

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2013, 07:30:02 AM »

John 5:30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

Glen thanks for sharing how do you or those reading understand what Christ meant when he said "I can of mine own self do nothing. . .? This does go along with the message for this lesson. While this statement seems simple enough it might be well for us to take some time to talk about it. The other part is also very good. "I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me."