Author Topic: Psalms 19  (Read 4470 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Psalms 19
« on: December 11, 2009, 07:47:32 PM »
God calls upon teachers to behold the heavens and study the works of God in nature. [Ps. 19:1-3, quoted.] Shall we not commit to memory the lessons nature teaches? Shall we not open the eyes of our senses and take in the beautiful things of God. We would do well to read often the nineteenth psalm, that we may understand how the Lord binds up His law with His created works.  {13MR 260.1}

Psa 19:1  To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
Psa 19:2  Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
Psa 19:3  There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.
Psa 19:4  Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
Psa 19:5  Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
Psa 19:6  His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.
Psa 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
Psa 19:8  The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
Psa 19:9 The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
Psa 19:10  More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
Psa 19:11  Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.
Psa 19:12  Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.
Psa 19:13  Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.
Psa 19:14  Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

JimB

• Servant
Re: Psalms 19
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 07:51:04 PM »
Any thoughts or comments on verse 1?
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 08:40:19 PM »
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.

At first my mind says, yes, at night....

But, then I have to admit how thankful I am for the sun with both its heat and light!!!  What a representation of God, the sun!!!   And it is dim in comparison to His glory!!!!  And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.  Rev. 22:5.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 08:48:48 PM »
Your comments remind me of the creation account. God created light before he created the sun, moon, and stars. God wants us to worship Him and not His creation.

Psa 119:105  NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 03:31:37 AM »
the firmament sheweth his handywork.

It is interesting how our different minds run in different channels, according to our interests, our upbringing, and our environment.  As one who has always had an interest in biology and natural history in general, the first thing that came to mind with this clause is the water cycle.  The firmament is the atmosphere, and because of the way God designed it (His "handywork") we have a continual cycle of precipition and evaporation, perfectly balanced so that the air does not become too saturated with moisture over too much of the planet, and so that it also does not become too dry.  Some places occasionaly get too much rain, and some too little, but overall it is an amazingly balanced system; but it is "Plan B," as it were, since before the flood there was an entirely different system for watering the earth.  Scientists can tell us how the water cycle operates, but I don't think they have a good explanation as to why it works the way it does.  Big Bang + random chance?  ::)
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 05:37:49 AM »
Amen, my brothers. May we take 2 - 5 together?

Psa 19:2-5  Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard. Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun, Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.

Said a wise woman: The moon and the stars may be their companions, speaking to them in the most eloquent language of the love of God.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Vicki

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 10:16:34 AM »
Said a wise woman: The moon and the stars may be their companions, speaking to them in the most eloquent language of the love of God.

I love summer moon lit hikes. There is definitely a companionship felt between heaven and earth in the quietness of night when accompanied by the moon & stars.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 10:36:24 AM »
Oh yes! It is a joyous experience to behold the wonders of the heavens. Away from the lights of the city, it is a pleasure unequaled to take a very fat blanket and pillow outside the upstairs door onto the porch roof, settling down to take in the vastness of His creation. Many times I have actually talked to the stars telling them how I appreciate their beauty and constant presence in an otherwise dark sky.

That we may be found faithful at His appearing so we may have the added benefit of traveling to the various stars and planets is my prayer.

Vicki

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 10:48:01 AM »
You have increased my desire to move farther out into the country. This area is growing, and not only have neighbors added outside lights, but we now have an airport light in the east, and another a mile away in the west. We can still see stars much brighter than in the city, but the peaceful nighttime atmosphere has been encroached upon.

It would be fun to have a big hammock that a small family could fit into to watch the stars together.  :)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 06:05:00 AM »
Amen!!  Summer moon lit hikes!  Soon, dear sister, winter is almost over. Until then, keep close to Jesus!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 05:15:49 AM »
Psa 19:9  The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
Psa 19:10  More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
Psa 19:11  Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.
Psa 19:12  Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.
Psa 19:13  Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.

The translators could have used another word, such as "pure," "spotless," "righteous," but I surely love the description of "clean." It has a special meaning to His people. "Be thou clean." (Matthew 8, Mark 1, Luke 5)

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 06:52:05 AM »
Interesting talk about sin, errors, and faults in a chapter that is dealing with nature. Sounds like there is more to learn from God's second book than most realize.