Author Topic: Avast anti-virus  (Read 4649 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Avast anti-virus
« on: November 30, 2009, 05:59:11 AM »
I just installed AVAST and the first scan is in black and white.  :)  Any thoughts on this free edition of AVAST?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Avast anti-virus
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 06:00:28 AM »
At least on the first scan, it would not let me work while it scanned. Is this a continuing problem?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 06:24:12 AM »
I hope someone can help you. I have never used Avast although I've heard good things about it. If I want a free antivirus program I normally use AVG Free. But I've never tried to work on my computer during a virus scan so I'm not sure how it behaves under such conditions.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 06:31:01 AM »
I installed Avast a few months ago and really like it. I never try to work while it is scanning.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Immanuel

• Senior Moderator
  • Jesus is My Judge
    • Emmanuel Institute of Evangelism
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 06:33:50 AM »
I have used Avast in the past and found that it missed things that AVG detected. It also hogged more system resources. I would personally stick with AVG.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 09:10:08 AM »
Who can take a vacation while its scanning?  I will admit that with AVG, I might as well stop working. It slowed things down quite a bit. That is one reason I am trying Avast. Not good that it misses some things, though. I guess I will switch off for awhile.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 09:32:10 AM »
I leave my computer on 24/7 so when I want to do a scan or defrag I usually start (schedule) them just before I go to bed so that they will be finished by morning.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 12:01:19 PM »
How do you insure no connections will be made with the internet overnight?

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 12:22:59 PM »
Easy :)  I have dialup and it's been years since I've read of a virus that will dial out through a modem. However, if I had fast internet at home i'd probably purchase a router that also has a firewall. However, the best protection is to unplug the ethernet cable when you're gonna be gone or idle for long periods of time.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 08:20:57 PM »
I have broadband, so that is what I do when I leave the computer on and unattended for hours at a time.

Years ago, I believe that my computer was indeed initiating a dial up connection. That is fresh in my mind when I leave my computer linked up to the internet.  :(

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 08:27:21 PM »
That's scary.

John Erickson

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 10:57:16 PM »
I have used Avast! for a year or two and have not caught any viruses. I frequently recommend it to friends and family. I like how it tells me when it detects a virus or trojan horse in real-time when I am about to enter a web site.
"Lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen" Matthew 28:20

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 07:28:35 PM »
Avast loaded upgrades and it called IZARC and ONLINE BIBLE trojans did what it would, stopped pre existing functions and has really messed things up.    I have reinstalled the most basic online bible but I do not know how to tweak it to it's former usefulness .

Also when I post - now the post / modify - dialog box - the words jump repeatedly and modifying posts is very difficult if not impossible at most times now.

What is wrong and how do I fix this ?   It affects all message board systems when I post - not just TRO.
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 07:38:05 PM »
Funny you should bring this up. I have followed this conversation on Avast (I liked it) and recall mine jumping around, too, Ed. Very strange. So, I uninstalled Avast and reloaded AVG. The jumping stopped.

You may want to do a system restore to an appropriate date and see if that helps on your Bible software.

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 02:30:23 PM »
It just started a week ago after avast treated pre existing software as trojans.
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 05:51:10 PM »
That is really amazing!