Author Topic: e-Sword Bible Software  (Read 22633 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
e-Sword Bible Software
« on: October 20, 2009, 09:01:12 AM »
We have been suggesting to our members that they download e-Sword Bible software. It is useful for study purposes. They have a new versions out that you can download at   http://www.e-sword.net

I do not use the program very much because I do a lot of cutting and pasting and it copies the Strong's numbers that I do not want copied. So, I found a way to get rid of the Stong's and then I could not find a way to get them back when I wanted them. So, I ceased using the program. But, now I have the new version and it has the Strong's numbers, so when I want Strong's I can go to e-Sword.

Some of you are using it. We thought it would be helpful to share what we are learning about  the program. Are there any features that you especially like? And how does one turn on and off the Strong's numbering?

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Brian M

Re: e-Sword Bible Software
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 09:15:28 AM »
To turn the Strong's numbers on and off, you just need to switch Bible versions. The Version marked KJV is the regular King James Version - with no Strong's numbers. To get the Strong's numbers back, simply click on the Bible Version marked KJV+.

One of the things I use quite often in e-sword is the ability to search quickly by the Greek or Hebrew word without having to have a knowledge of Greek or Hebrew. Here is how you do that.

1. Find the word you want to search on in the KJV+ version in e-sword
2. Right Click on the Strong's number
3. At the top of the box appears there is an option for a "Quick Search on:" and the Strong's number you clicked on.
4. Click on that top option and it will give you the option to search the entire OT (for Hebrew) or the entire NT (if you are in the Greek).
5. The search brings up every use of that Greek or Hebrew word, regardless of how it was translated into English.
Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. Psalm 119:18

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 10:09:52 AM »
Frustration ended!!! :) Thank you, dear brother!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Brian M

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 06:29:51 PM »
Basic Bible Search instructions:

1. Make sure to change your Bible version to KJV or anything but KJV+ before beginning a search
2. Click on the Binoculars at the top of the screen
3. A search box opens and a blinking cursor appears in the search box - type in your search word or phrase
4. To search for an exact phrase click on the arrow under the words "Search Criteria"
5. Select an option under the words "Search Criteria". The options are pretty self-explanatory, but here they are:
       A. Search for all of the words (sections that contain all the words, but not necessarily the order you typed them in will appear)
       B. Search for any of the words (texts that have any of the words you typed in will appear)
       C. Search for the exact phrase (texts will only appear if they have the exact phrase you typed - in the exact order)
6. Choose what section of the Bible you want to search - OT, NT, Whole Bible or just an individual book
Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. Psalm 119:18

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 10:29:30 AM »
Thanks, Brother Brian.  The + is so very helpful!  Was it that way on the older version also?

Brian M

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 11:38:52 AM »
I believe so, but I can't remember how visible it was in the layout.

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 08:07:57 PM »
sounds similiar to www.onlinebible.net freeware
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 08:19:16 AM »
I have the EGW modules in my e-Sword, but do not know how to access them. They show up, but do not link to the Bible verses. Help!

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 08:53:19 AM »
That is odd. Have you clicked on a verse that you know for sure Mrs. White has commented on?

For instance if you click on Genesis 3:15 does "EGW Comments" & "ED" give you a blue exclamation mark? If they do all  you have to do is click on the "ED" or "EGW Comments" tabs to read what she has said.  If you click on "ED" it should be displaying Gen 3:15 Chapter 3 - The Knowledge of Good and Evil

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 09:09:36 AM »
Maybe Richard is choosing verses there are no comments on.

This is what your screen should look like when it is working properly. Notice the bolded "I"s. There are many comments available on Romans 7:24.

(Jim taught me how to take a "screen shot." Again, thank you, dear brother!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 05:37:37 AM »
Thanks. I chose a verse that had no commentary in those modules. :( Mystery solved again.

Which screenshot program do you use? Is there one in xp or Vista?  I lost the one I had.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 09:01:24 AM »
MS Paint.

Press "Alt" and "Print Screen/SysRQ" at the same time. Then open Paint, go to Edit and choose Paste. There is your screen shot. Save it as a jpg in your picture files and you are good to go.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 09:11:37 AM »
The paint program that comes in xp?

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 09:25:09 AM »
Yes, sir. That flimsy little program.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 09:43:45 AM »
Thanks!! I will use it!!

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 08:58:41 PM »
Anyone know if e-sword and onlinebible will conflict if put on the same laptop ?
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2011, 08:26:11 AM »
The latest version of E-Sword has a greatly improved it's search feature. Just thought I'd give a heads-up to this.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 06:54:33 AM »
Need some assistance, please. I updated to a better computer and want to install the EGW comments modules to e-sword. Cannot locate the source link to do so. I have searched the computer board and cannot find it although I know it is around. Thank you!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 08:57:21 AM »
Many thanks!