Author Topic: Spices  (Read 5307 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Spices
« on: October 18, 2009, 12:14:09 PM »
For many years we have only mentioned the difficulty with spices. In this topic we will discuss the danger to health from spices. We have tried to open the truths entrusted to us as a people in a gentle and slow manner. Ten years is a long time to not discuss this subject, but we  cannot continue to withhold  the information from those who cherish their health and the health of their children.

There is a natural and a depraved appetite. Parents who have taught their children to eat unhealthful, stimulating food all their lives--until the taste is perverted, and they crave clay, slate pencils, burned coffee, tea grounds, cinnamon, cloves, and spices--cannot claim that the appetite demands what the system requires. The appetite has been falsely educated, until it is depraved. The fine organs of the stomach have been stimulated and burned, until they have lost their delicate sensitiveness. Simple, healthful food seems to them insipid. The abused stomach will not perform the work given it, unless urged to it by the most stimulating substances. If these children had been trained from their infancy to take only healthful food, prepared in the most simple manner, preserving its natural properties as much as possible, and avoiding flesh meats, grease, and all spices, the taste and appetite would be unimpaired. In its natural state, it might indicate, in a great degree, the food best adapted to the wants of the system."

We see here that the natural appetite is important to protect. If by habit we eat that which is stimulating, then we will not appreciate the natural food God has given us for our health. We all may differ on the dangers of certain substances, but the fact remains that this principle of perverted appetite is true and ought to be understood, especially in regards to our children.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

kate

Re: Spices
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 02:37:16 AM »

There is a natural and a depraved appetite. Parents who have taught their children to eat unhealthful, stimulating food all their lives--until the taste is perverted, and they crave clay, slate pencils, burned coffee, tea grounds, cinnamon, cloves, and spices--cannot claim that the appetite demands what the system requires. ...

I did not know that cinnamon was not healthy. Does anyone know the reason for it?

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 03:32:18 AM »
I expect to be corrected if I'm wrong, but I believe it is a mild stomach irritant, not as bad as black pepper, but an irritant just the same.  The other spices fall into that same category.  Some are more irritating than others.  I'm not sure about all the physiological effects of these spices, but I suspect ulcers, and even stomach cancer could be the result, especially for those with weaker systems.  

The person who craves "clay, slate pencils, burned coffee, tea grounds" must be in pretty bad shape.

I apologize if this is discussed somewhere else, but it would be helpful, especially for those new in the faith (or those who are "challenged" in culinary department) if the term "spice" was specifically defined.  There is some confusion as to what determines which is a spice and which is an herb.  An herb is generally the leafy part of a plant which is used to flavor food.  Spices seem to usally be seeds or bark (like pepper or cinnamon), but some legitimate "herbs" are seeds, such as cumin, anise, corriander (when the leaves are used it is called cilantro), and fennel.  The term "seasoning" is also used for some things, like onion and garlic, which are neither seeds nor leaves.  Perhaps someone with more knowledge than me could enlighten us on this subject.  
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 10:40:11 PM »
You bring up a good question, one that we knew would come up since it is important to define the words we use.

I am not an expert, but I have studied this for a long time. Our interest here is one thing, to not injure our health. In order to understand why we do what we do, we must understand the basis for the objection to spices. I gave a little glimpse into this in the first post. Spices are being defined as a stimulant.

The botanical definition as I understand a herb is a plant that does not produce a woody stem. For our purposes, I am not sure that all botanical herbs are healthful or are not stimulants. We will learn as we go along. We have many who have gone before us and have passed down information. I personally have relied upon those in the field such as Agatha Thrash, MD. She and her husband founded Uchee Pines and have been very faithful in their work.

When it comes to a practical guideline I have chosen to consider the strength of the substance as well as the botanical and historical use. Generally herbs are mild and spices are strong. Notice in my original post there was reference to the natural appetite. That which destroys the natural flavor seems to be creating a problem. Why is it that some like their food "hot"? Because their taste has been perverted by the use of spices. Those who have not used spices will not appreciate a large amount of cayenne, and most will not appreciate a small amount.

Hot fiery food is an example of what spices can do to food. Some have so perverted their taste that they are not happy unless they have highly spiced food. Why? Spices are "stimulants" and stimulants require more stimulants. Here is a short statement taken at random from a site that is pushing cayenne:

A counter-irritant is something which causes irritation to a tissue to which it is applied, thus distracting from the original irritation (such as joint pain in the case of arthritis). Active constituents: Cayenne contains a resinous and pungent substance known as capsaicin. This chemical relieves pain and itching by acting on sensory nerves. Capsaicin temporarily stimulates release of various neurotransmitters from these nerves,

There are more difficulties than just perverted appetites when using stimulants such as spices. We will continue our discussion along that line.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 10:55:52 PM »
There is more and more medical information coming out about coffee. Consider the following which was given to us more than a hundred years ago. It is directly tied to our conversation about spices.

Tea is poisonous to the system. . . . The second effect of tea drinking is headache, wakefulness, palpitation of the heart, indigestion, trembling of the nerves, and many other evils......

The influence of coffee is in a degree the same as tea, but the effect upon the system is still worse. Its influence is exciting, and just in the degree that it elevates above par, it will exhaust and bring prostration below par. . . . The relief obtained from them [tea and coffee] is sudden, before the stomach has had time to digest them. This shows that what the users of these stimulants call strength is only received by exciting the nerves of the stomach, which convey the irritation to the brain, and this in turn is aroused to impart increased action to the heart, and short-lived energy to the entire system. All this is false strength, that we are the worse for having

Notice carefully that tea and coffee excite the nerves of the stomach and that "irritation" is relayed to the brain which in turn stimulates the heart. Now, recall that those in favor of cayenne understand that it "irritates" that which it comes in contact with. There is a direct connection between the nerves in the stomach and the brain.

Spices are not the same as tea and coffee in degree, but they have a similar effect. God has blessed us with this information. Sadly, many will refuse it, because they are not led by reason, but by the flesh. :(  By God's grace we will appreciate the light we have and improve upon it, especially with the little ones.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 08:02:50 AM »
You bring up a good question, one that we knew would come up since it is important to define the words we use.

I am not an expert, but I have studied this for a long time. Our interest here is one thing, to not injure our health. In order to understand why we do what we do, we must understand the basis for the objection to spices. I gave a little glimpse into this in the first post. Spices are being defined as a stimulant.

The botanical definition as I understand a herb is a plant that does not produce a woody stem. For our purposes, I am not sure that all botanical herbs are healthful or are not stimulants. We will learn as we go along. We have many who have gone before us and have passed down information. I personally have relied upon those in the field such as Agatha Thrash, MD. She and her husband founded Uchee Pines and have been very faithful in their work.

When it comes to a practical guideline I have chosen to consider the strength of the substance as well as the botanical and historical use. Generally herbs are mild and spices are strong. Notice in my original post there was reference to the natural appetite. That which destroys the natural flavor seems to be creating a problem. Why is it that some like their food "hot"? Because their taste has been perverted by the use of spices. Those who have not used spices will not appreciate a large amount of cayenne, and most will not appreciate a small amount.

Hot fiery food is an example of what spices can do to food. Some have so perverted their taste that they are not happy unless they have highly spiced food. Why? Spices are "stimulants" and stimulants require more stimulants. Here is a short statement taken at random from a site that is pushing cayenne:

A counter-irritant is something which causes irritation to a tissue to which it is applied, thus distracting from the original irritation (such as joint pain in the case of arthritis). Active constituents: Cayenne contains a resinous and pungent substance known as capsaicin. This chemical relieves pain and itching by acting on sensory nerves. Capsaicin temporarily stimulates release of various neurotransmitters from these nerves,

I believe you are correct about the definition of what constitutes an herb.  But what do we do with bay leaves?  They are commonly used for flavoring various dishes, but they don't seem to fit under either category.  And, to my knowledge, they are not an irritant.

I have been suspicious of cayenne for years, but I've not really researched it.  I know it is used medicinally (whether legitimate or not, I don't know).  I've always reasoned that anything that puts my mouth on fire like that can't be good for me.  I have been blessed (or cursed, depending on your perspective) with the ability to detect even very small amounts of hot substances in food.  I've never understood how a person could actually enjoy something so hot that it masks the real flavor of the food.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

colporteur

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 08:16:00 AM »
How about chewing up fresh garlic?  I agree though about the cayenne. It might be that it has a good bad effect on a person. One has to weigh out the benefits as opposed to the hazards. If a person is having a heart attack maybe the risk of the irritant is outweighed by the possible benefit? I don't know.

I think the reason people like hot food has nothing to do with flavor but their desire for stimulous. They want a little shot to the system like a shot of whiskey.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

colporteur

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 08:25:16 AM »
We tend to use the term "spice" in a broad sense that would involve any flavoring agent and one that typically is concentrated in that it does not take a great deal to flavor food in terms of quantity. I believe Mrs. White used the term in reference to flavoring agents like this but those that are irritants. I don't think bay leaves are an irritant.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 09:13:03 AM »

I have been suspicious of cayenne for years, but I've not really researched it.  I know it is used medicinally (whether legitimate or not, I don't know).  I've always reasoned that anything that puts my mouth on fire like that can't be good for me.  I have been blessed (or cursed, depending on your perspective) with the ability to detect even very small amounts of hot substances in food.  I've never understood how a person could actually enjoy something so hot that it masks the real flavor of the food.

How about chewing up fresh garlic?  I agree though about the cayenne. It might be that it has a good bad effect on a person. One has to weigh out the benefits as opposed to the hazards. If a person is having a heart attack maybe the risk of the irritant is outweighed by the possible benefit? I don't know.

I think the reason people like hot food has nothing to do with flavor but their desire for stimulous. They want a little shot to the system like a shot of whiskey.

Thanks for setting me straight, cp.  I had forgotten about onions and garlic.  I can tolerate fresh garlic much better than raw onions.  Even Walla Wall Sweets put my mouth on fire.  On difference I've noticed (although it's been a long time since I had the misfortune of eating something with cayenne or other peppers in it) is that substances like cayenne leave my mouth on fire for a long time, while the effect of onions and garlic disappears quite rapidly.  Not sure if that's significant, but it could be, since the peppers are irritants and the onion and garlic are not. 

It may also be that substances such as cayenne can  be used medicinally, but were not intended to be consumed on a regular basis.  I'm just thinking out loud here.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 10:20:35 AM »
I asked Dr. Agatha what she thought about Cayenne. She replied that she did not think it a problem for medicinal use once or twice in a lifetime. She was of course making a point. Some would use it on a regular basis for "medicinal" purposes in their beans or in their guacamole. After all it is a stimulant that produces a desire for it in increasing amounts. That is why some can eat a lot of it. They have learned to eat more of it to satisfy their need for the stimulant. The appetite has been perverted.

Now, I am reticent to go further, but go we must. Some would see little danger from their perverted appetite. But, not so. There is another danger besides irritating the stomach and distracting the mind. What does the use of a mild stimulant like pepper do?