Author Topic: Microsoft exposes Firefox users to drive-by malware downloads  (Read 1392 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Microsoft exposes Firefox users to drive-by malware downloads
« on: October 16, 2009, 01:14:37 PM »
And people wonder why I'm not a big Microsoft fan. As I understand this you only need to worry about this if you've done Microsoft Updates and selected ".NET Framework 3.5 SP1". So if you follow the italicized directions you'll be good to go. If you follow them and don't see the "Windows Presentation Foundation" plugin you don't need to worry about this.

Microsoft exposes Firefox users to drive-by malware downloads

Remember that Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant add-on that Microsoft sneaked into Firefox without explicit permission from end users?

Well, the code in that add-on has a serious code execution vulnerability that exposes Firefox users to the “browse and you’re owned” attacks that are typically used in drive-by malware downloads.

Now, Microsoft’s security folks are actually recommending that Firefox users uninstall the buggy add-on:

For Firefox users with .NET Framework 3.5 installed, you may use “Tools”-> “Add-ons” -> “Plugins”, select “Windows Presentation Foundation”, and click “Disable”.

This introduction of vulnerabilities in a competing browser is a colossal embarrassment for Microsoft.  At the time of the surreptitious installs, there were prescient warnings from many in the community about the security implications of introducing new code into browsers without the knowledge — and consent — of end users.   Source
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Microsoft exposes Firefox users to drive-by malware downloads
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 01:31:24 PM »
Wow! This is absolutely amazing!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Microsoft exposes Firefox users to drive-by malware downloads
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 08:52:26 AM »
Brazen! What some people will do with my computer!!!   Who can you trust any more, if you can't trust Microsoft!   (that was for you, Jim)  :)  But, it is true. So much dishonesty in the world today. I put an ad for a car on Craig's list and you would think that I was born yesterday. Jesus is coming soon!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.