Author Topic: Fruit Trees  (Read 18342 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Fruit Trees
« on: September 24, 2009, 07:55:54 PM »
Now is the time to start thinking about next years tree fruit crop. What do we do with our fruit trees in the fall?  The trees are storing up nutrition for the spring. And, some trees need to be sprayed for leaf curl.

In the Central Valley of California many fruit trees are dying because the irrigation water has been cut off.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
Re: Fruit Trees
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 06:49:34 PM »
What has happened in the Central Valley since 2009 ?
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 08:23:25 AM »
California has had a drought. It is created by less than average rainfall, an increasing population, and the protecting of fish and snail darters. Farmers have had their water allotments cut greatly and some have had to let their orchards die because they have not enough water.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Ed Sutton

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 03:37:27 PM »
The Bible lists reasons for lack of rain, is it possible California may be invoking some of those reasons and reaping dust ?
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 12:12:32 PM »
Not yet. Fire and earthquake, yes.  We have been blessed with rain. The "drought" is more man-made rather than an act of God.  He still shines His sun upon us and our rainfall continues despite the immorality rampant in the leadership of California.

Ed Sutton

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 08:51:11 PM »
Too bad the growers don't band together, create a simplified cheaper desalination plant and pipeline system, get their own agricultural water, sell water to other states, and sell residual minerals as business raw materials.

Dorine

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 11:50:56 AM »
I do not know where to post this so will start here.
Does anyone have the soil 'recipe' that Ellen White was given for planting fruit trees?

I want to plant some this year but want to do it right. They are expensive and I don't want to lose any.
Thanks,
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 12:21:37 PM »
I think Richard has an idea of what it is.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Ed Sutton

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 12:43:27 PM »
  While we were in Australia, we adopted the . . . plan . . . of digging deep trenches and filling them in with dressing that would create good soil. This we did in the cultivation of tomatoes, oranges, lemons, peaches, and grapes.  {3SM 328.1}

The man of whom we purchased our peach trees told me that he would be pleased to have me observe the way they were planted. I then asked him to let me show him how it had been represented in the night season that they should be planted. I ordered my hired man to dig a deep cavity in the ground, then put in rich dirt, then stones, then rich dirt. After this he put in layers of earth and dressing until the hole was filled. I told the nurseryman that I had planted in this way in the rocky soil in America. I invited him to visit me when these fruits should be ripe. He said to me, "You need no lesson from me to teach you how to plant the trees."  {3SM 328.2}

Our crops were very successful. The peaches were the most beautiful in coloring, and the most delicious in flavor of any that I had tasted. We grew the large yellow Crawford and other varieties, grapes, apricots, nectarines, and plums.--Letter 350, 1907.  {3SM 328.3}

The Spraying of Fruit Trees

There are those who say that nothing, not even insects, should be killed. God has not entrusted any such message to His people. It is possible to stretch the command "Thou shalt not kill" to any limit; but it is not according to sound reasoning to do this. Those who do it have not learned in the school of Christ.  {3SM 329.1}

This earth has been cursed because of sin, and in these last days vermin of every kind will multiply. These pests must be killed, or they will annoy and torment and even kill us, and destroy the work of our hands and the fruit of our land. In places there are ants [termites] which entirely destroy the woodwork of houses. Should not these be destroyed? Fruit trees must be sprayed, that the insects which would spoil the fruit may be killed. God has given us a part to act, and this part we must act with faithfulness. Then we can leave the rest with the Lord.  {3SM 329.2}

God has given no man the message, Kill not ant or flea or moth. Troublesome and harmful insects and reptiles we must guard against and destroy, to preserve ourselves and our possessions from harm. And even if we do our best to exterminate these pests, they will still multiply.--Manuscript 70, 1901. (Review and Herald, Aug. 31, 1961.)  {3SM 329.3}     

Dressing = well rotted manure

stones provide drainage and force the roots to grow out instead of circling in the hole, and slowly release minerals the tree needs.   Especially granite and limestone.

dig the holes larger than it is thought is needed and  irregular in shape, and seperate the roots with stones, forcing the roots to grow out away from the tree in all directions.

Dorine

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 03:28:32 PM »
Thank you so much Ed. That's exactly what I was looking for. I have an endless supply of horse manure and loads of stones and rocks. Can't wait to try it. I was interested in her comment on spraying the trees. I wonder what they used back then?
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 09:16:34 PM »
I think they have used oils for many years. I suppose there were many other sprays. Maybe sulfur or some kind of soaps. Before petroleum they would have had fish oil and olive oils. The oils smother insects. I am sure they also had poisons that would kill insects too. We surely have come a long way since then. On the other hand, we also have created sprays that are not good for us or the environment. It takes wisdom to know what to do. But, the Spirit of Prophecy has given us some information so we don't become led astray by the world's view. There are those that are opposed to any kind of sprays. I have tried it. I had 1300 orange trees that I tried to manage without sprays. It is not very workable.

Dorine

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 06:42:53 AM »
Very interesting Richard. I've used oil on corn but have never tried it as a spray.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 10:36:04 AM »
It is being used today, but you need to get expert advice for each application.  Like with modern medicine, there is much knowledge about the science, but also much misapplication. I have seldom used insecticides, but have been using herbicides to kill poison oak. I am going to use a pre-emergent to control weeds outside of my food area. I once used an insecticide when all of my seedlings were eaten twice.  If I had not, I would not have had a garden. After planting twice, I had no choice.  Some kind of beetle with black bars that I had never seen before. It devoured every last plant.

We are blessed to have light that keeps us from error in such matters.

Mark W

Fruit Trees
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 08:49:43 PM »
Well you just have to pick the most finicky of the fruit trees, in my book anyway. Around my area, they seem to be susceptible to several things. I have one old Indian Blood cling peach though that seems pretty tough. It has grown into a pretty nice size tree without problems. The only problem with it is the fact that it is a variety that comes true from seed. many fruits are like a apple and never come out like the parent tree. (don't know about citrus) But this tree I did not thin one year and all those little peaches fell to the ground and now I have over a hundred seedlings around it needing transplanted. Ether that or going to have to mow them down. Wish you were closer, I would pawn a few dozen off on you lol. I like pears the best for I don't have to do nothing to them but watch them grow. Bugs are never a problem with them. I am fortunate to be able to grow the Asian Pears here which are my favorite. Use to be into grafting so I have several apples, pears, and sweet cherries. Just love working with Gods creation if you can't tell. Goes back to the lesson discussion for this week.

Adams mental capacities were much better then ours and I believe he could pretty clearly comprehend the magnitude of himself being a created being. And I can just imagine his gratitude towards his maker. But sin changed man to where he would need to be reminded of what God did at creation. The bible says that the ground was cursed for his sake and that thorns also and thistles sprang forth. God knew Adam and mankind would need to depend upon the creator more; he would have to be reminded who he needed to put his trust in for that next harvest. And here we are 6000 years later still having to depend on the same God for the same miracle. isn't God and gardening grand?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 10:55:28 PM »
There was an orchard in Napa that had blood peaches.  I did not think  to plant the seed. I did not know they would reproduce the same fruit from a seedling.  Are they sweet peaches? If so, I would sure like some seeds. Not that we shall have time for them to mature into fruit bearing trees, at least I hope not! But, God put it into our hearts to enjoy doing what Adam did, working with the trees. And, yes, it is to remind us of our dependency upon the Lord. He gives the sun, the rain, and brings the life from the dormant seed. What a loving and caring God we serve!

Mark W

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 08:05:46 AM »
Richard, not all peaches will come true from seed, but there are a few peaches, apricots, and the like that will. Like I said, the Indian Blood peach is a pretty old variety. It is said that the  tree dates back to the U.S. Colonial era of the mid 1500s when an Indian blood peach tree was discovered on an Indian plantation in Georgia, so yes been around for a while. I find them to be of great quality but like also said it is a cling peach, and many now days want the free stone. To me if it has the qualities of being hardy and tasting good, then that is good enough for me. On your comment on the nearness of time I would agree, but at the same time we have to occupy till He comes. When I grafted all my fruit trees several years ago, I thought the same thing. Had to weigh in my mind if it even was a wast of Gods time. But now I am being blessed with several bushel of apples and pears because of it. I actually have four seedling apple trees that come up volunteer that need grafted. Will not take but a little while to graft and plant. And if for some reason God tarries even longer, I might see a harvest. Like my asian pears, they were wanting to bear fruit the second year after grafting, so the wait is not too long.   

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 12:18:42 PM »
Yes, if I had not planted trees twenty years ago because I knew Jesus was coming soon, then I would surely have been sad today. But, we can hope that our work in the garden will prove unnecessary as far as fruit goes.  :)    Like Jeremiah and his land purchase, I am already believing that it is time to get rid of some things, preparatory to going home.

Mark W

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 04:40:10 PM »
Yes Richard I would give up my garden any day for one up above, and yes it seems like it won't be far off. You were wondering the blood peaches as to whether they tasted very good. For as you have mentioned to me, peaches can vary a lot in flavor and yes you are right. I would consider them sweet and the guy I got the seeds from knew a orchard that had them, and when they came into season he would buy several bushel for canning and freezing. He thought they were the best.

One thing that many don't take into consideration is the fact that fruit trees planted in different locations even though they are the same variety can taste distinctly different. I have two pears of the same variety that I grafted several years ago that are planted in different locations. But when you taste them side by side you will taste a difference in the sugar content. There are a few differences that a person might take note of when planting. First off is the soil structure and composition. One difference I can see in the dirt I planted the two trees mentioned in that one has more drainage which is necessary in my location, and that one is located in a old garden spot that has the more perfect balance of nutrients. Both can play a factor in sugar content and both need to be addressed when choosing a location and planting them therein. You in a dryer climate might not have to worry as much about drainage like I do where I live. But it works that way with many fruits and vegetables. If you can, turn the water even off before ripening and the sugar content will increase.

If you have chosen the correct site, and want to plant your tree properly, we have to do something some people dread to do and that is WORK. And without the aid of special tools, you could even add the word HARD in front of it. But we all know what happens when we don't do our best, our results for the most part equal the energy put into it. And as I say, it is hard work sometimes following God's plan for planting fruit trees, but His way is always the best. And if you didn't know God had a right way, let me share it for those that might not know. 

The man of whom we purchased our peach trees told me that he would be pleased to have me observe the way they were planted. I then asked him to let me show him how it had been represented in the night season that they should be planted. I ordered my hired man to dig a deep cavity in the ground, then put in rich dirt, then stones, then rich dirt. After this he put in layers of earth and dressing until the hole was filled. I told the nurseryman that I had planted in this way in the rocky soil in America. I invited him to visit me when these fruits should be ripe. He said to me, "You need no lesson from me to teach you how to plant the trees."  {3SM 328.2} 

Sounds like work which it is, but let us read the results from planting as she was instructed.

I came here and began work on my place so earnestly that it inspired all with fresh zeal, and they have been working with a will, rejoicing that they have the privilege. We have provoked one another to zeal and good works. The school workers were afraid I would plant the first trees, and now both they and and I have the satisfaction of having the first genuine orchards in this  vicinity. Some of our trees will yield fruit next year, and the peaches will bear quite a crop in two years. {TM 242.1} 

Now for the the best part from such a planting endeavor, the eating quality.

If the Lord prospers us next year, as He has done the past year, we will have all the fruit we wish to take care of, early and late. The early fruit comes when there is nothing else, so this is an important item. The peaches are rich and juicy and grateful to the taste.

Makes me want to go eat one. So with the proper procedures followed, a fruit tree will not only survive, but thrive. Now I must admit I cheat for I have a 24" auger that fits on the skid loader. I can dig a 24" hole three feet deep and then add the necessary items to accomplish the finished results. I want to add before ending that it is wise to have a soil test done to amend the soil to the proper proportions.  God bless

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 08:17:50 AM »
Amen!!  God loves us and wants us to succeed in our gardening. He will bless our labor.  I had a backhoe for awhile and thought to dig my trenches before I was ready to plant trees. It saved a lot of "hard" labor. We are told that God will provide us with such things as life becomes more difficult. Thus we have been given many devices such as your auger to help us that we may be a blessing in this world that is soon to perish.

Thanks, Mark, for the information. I am always looking for ways to make my fruit sweeter and more flavorful. I know that the same peach will taste difference from different trees. And, some will taste different from the same tree. I had an orange grove and the longer we left the fruit in the trees, the sweeter the oranges became. Oranges on the same tree would ripen at different times.

Mark W

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 08:29:06 PM »
Thanks Richard for bringing up the fact that many times fruit doesn't ripen all at once. It is nice for some things with like grapes coming to mind in particular to have sun in the morning and in the afternoon, so that they can ripen more evenly. Unfortunately the ones on the North side of the tree are just tough luck. As well pruning so that air and light can inter the canopy will help as well. You are on your own when you go to talking about citrus. Been to California twice and was always just amazed at the quantity of produce grown there. We don't have large scale produce production around here much. I seen you dabbled in planting citrus from seed? Will they come true from seed? God bless