Author Topic: Harvesting Seeds  (Read 10596 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Harvesting Seeds
« on: August 17, 2009, 03:39:17 PM »
I really enjoy harvesting my Marigold seeds. They are so easy to harvest and always grow. Lately I have been reading about other flower seed.

I also like to start cuttings.  I will start a new topic for that subject.

Who has a favorite flower of vegetable that they save the seeds from? Tell us how easy it is and how to do it.

I will start with the Marigolds.  Leave the flowers until they are dry. Then take the head and snap it off. It will pop. Pull the flower part out and the seeds will come. They are easy to identify. You can also remove the outer covering at the base of the flower. This will expose the seeds. There are lot of seeds in one flower. I label the seeds by color and date. Make sure they are dry. Put them in a plastic bag with a paper towel to make sure there is no moisture in the bag.

Warning. Do not try and save hybrid seed. You will not get a true reproduction when planting the seed from hybrids.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Harvesting Seeds
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 10:12:27 PM »
We have a Seed Exchange for those who are old hands at this and have extra seeds to share or trade. 

I have a question about African Daisies.  How do you identify the seeds? I guess it extends to all daisies. I have a lot of different kinds and their seeds seem to be very similar. Is the seed attached to the fluff that flies off?

And, how about Gazanias? They are full of fluff also. Is that the seed?

And, Zinnias, it appears that the seeds are only developed at the outside of the seed packet? The rest appear  to be immature even when the flower is left to completely dry on the stem.

Can you grow Crepe Myrtle from seed? They have so many seed pods!

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Vicki

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 06:18:19 AM »
Last time I was at a Health Food store they had 3 varieties of heirloom tomatoes for sale. Heirloom means you can plant the seeds from the tomato and get the same type of fruit of the plant, right? I should have grabbed one of each but I was in a hurry and didn't think about it until later. If this is true about the seeds, I've got to get back, the tomatoes were huge, one red, one orange-yellow, and one purplish.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 09:20:15 PM »
I bought three flats of similar tomatoes a few days ago. I have now in front of me, three jars with seeds and pulp floating to the top. In a few days the seeds will drop to the bottom leaving the pulp at the top. I made tomato sauce out of the tomatoes after I seeded them!  The yellow tomatoes are delicious!! Not sure of the names. I think the red are beefstake, at least they look it. The wine colored may be a Black Brandywine. The yellow ones had the best flavor. They look like a yellow beefstake. They have a pink coloring  at one end when ripe. I may be wrong about the Brandywine. I thought that they had few seeds and mine had quite a few.

If you don't get the tomatoes, let me know and I will send you some of mine. It is time to learn how to grow heirlooms. They are not as easy as the modern tomatoes. It is crucial to rotate the location to protect against disease that they are not bred against.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 09:11:29 AM »
Tomato seeds are enclosed in a gel that needs to be removed. When the tomato rots in the field, the fermentation removes this gel. We need to allow the seeds to ferment a little before washing and drying the seeds.  source

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 10:31:29 PM »
Here are two pics of the tomato seeds process. Three days after removal from fruit and after fermenting to remove the protective gel from around the seed.

Notice the viable seeds fall to the bottom apart from the bulk of the pulp.

Skim the top off and strain. Some seeds remain on top and are not viable. Very little pulp to remove before drying.

colporteur

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 06:59:05 AM »
I'm curious. Do you know if that jell will rot off when the seeds are in the ground in the spring ? I have some seed that is dry without the fermentation process.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 10:04:16 PM »
I am not sure cp, I think not. My understanding is that in nature the rotten tomato sitting on the ground ferments which then removes the protective coating. If there was no need to ferment the seed, then we would not have to do it. Do you have very many seeds? You may want to split what you have in half and ferment half of them. Take  some of the juice and pulp from another tomato (free of all seed) and put the seeds, pulp, and some water into a jar for three or so days. I don't see why you would need the original tomato juice and pulp. Once the seeds have dried, it may not work. I am not an expert, only just learning myself. I would think there is a danger of the seeds beginning to germinate after have dried out and then getting wet as the gel coat is removed. I would be tempted to remove the seeds when they fall. Let us know what you end up doing. Sounds like an experiment!  :)  It is a good way to learn new things!

What kind of tomato seeds do you have?

colporteur

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 07:15:58 AM »
They are offspring from the world's largest (6+lbs.) tomatoe (Big Zak). It is a red beefsteak type heirloom. I'm thinking that one possible advantage of having some seed with the jell would be that they may be better protected from deterioration do to warm temps and humidity. In other words I wonder if the seeds will keep longer encased like this?

I grew several heirlooms this year. Some were Roma type but I don't care for them as while they are more pulpy they have less flavor, according to my taste buds.. The Big Zak and the cherry tomatoes had excellant flavor comparable to the hybrids. We also grew a very large very early yellow tomatoe but with less acid also less flavor.

Vicki

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 10:29:08 AM »
Since the seeds have already dried, what about fermenting them a few days before you'd be planting? Then if they do start to germinate it'd be OK.

colporteur

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 10:35:25 AM »
Since the seeds have already dried, what about fermenting them a few days before you'd be planting? Then if they do start to germinate it'd be OK.

Yes, I believe that's what brother Richard was saying.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 06:27:19 PM »
I like that idea of leaving the gel coat to extend the shelf life!  :)    It would be worth the experiment if it works. Maybe we ought to do a little study on the subject (if you don't have a lot of seeds to play with). 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 01:54:22 PM »
Tomato seeds are enclosed in a gel that needs to be removed. When the tomato rots in the field, the fermentation removes this gel. We need to allow the seeds to ferment a little before washing and drying the seeds.  source

A few weeks ago I got some heirlooms from Trader Joe's. I kept them for seeds only and began the fermentation process just yesterday. I pray the heirlooms will do well this year.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 08:43:45 AM »
Plant some hybrids also.....just in case!  :)  While you experiment with the heirlooms. 

Dorine

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 02:47:36 PM »
Last summer I had several 'sweetie' tomato plants that produced tiny extremely sweet tomatoes. Many of them fell to the ground and stayed there all winter. This summer they are sprouting up everywhere. I'm pulling them up like weeds. How do they survive freezing temperatures? Sometimes I think I should just go ahead and plant my next years tomato seeds in the garden this fall and let them come up in the spring when they are ready. The ones that came up this year on their own ( I let 3 grow) have caught up with the ones I planted in the house early this spring that I babied and pampered along. Obviously the freezing temperatures do not affect the seeds.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 07:26:43 PM »
Yes, it was the seed that remained viable through the winter.  It is interesting how in nature things do grow very rapidly. When the soil reaches the proper temperature, they take off. But, the hothouse plants that have tomatoes on them when you are just planting seed is going to produce a crop before those naturally planted.

With trees that are potted and left for a couple of years, they do not gain much, if any over a seedling plated at the same time in the ground. That is, if you plant a seedling in the ground and a 15 gallon tree that is three years old, you are not going to see much difference over time.  The seedling placed in the ground will grow more rapidly than the potted tree. In the long run, I am told that the seedling will probably be the better tree.  Lesson....plant your seedlings now instead of buying a large expensive potted fruit tree.   

colporteur

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 12:04:15 PM »
I think the amount of recovery time for a potted plant as opposed to a seedling depends alot on to what degree of effort we put into the potted plant. The reason why typically the seedling will pass up the potted plant is because of the amount of time and effort it takes for the potted plant to recover from stress from lack of enough roots. The bigger the plant generally the more the shortage of ample roots. One can do alot to compensate for that if he is willing. I planted 6 foot tall fruit trees from a pot and used the method EGW gave. The trees produced fruit the first year and put on 48" of new growth.

I believe Dorine if you plant your tomato seeds in the fall you may lose alot from lack of germination when weather conditions are not right. If you have a short growing season the tomatoes are apt to be behind the transplanted plants. Before it is warm enough for the seeds to germinate the plants will grow quite well and get a good jump on the plants that grow from seed.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 10:18:33 PM »
I heard this week that you can harvest Agapantha seeds.  Let the seed pods dry out before gathering them.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2013, 12:05:42 AM »
It is time to harvest some vegetable seeds. I have artichokes that have gone to seed, basil, and chard that have gone to seed.

Dill not ready and Basil that is ready.

Chard gone to seed.

Mark W

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2013, 09:20:24 AM »
Richard, I might have to do some trading with you on a few of your artichoke seed. They are one vegetable I have never grown for I am not in the ideal location for them but would like to try them at least once. I have a open pollinated tomato that will just melt in your mouth I could trade. Might be able to scrounge up a few other things as well. I guess you can count yourself fortunate that the deer didn't get these plants like many of the others ;)