Author Topic: Computer Speed  (Read 1410 times)

Won Bae

Computer Speed
« on: April 15, 2009, 05:38:02 PM »
I think I need to buy a new computer unless I can solve the problems I currently have.  My computer is a Dell, windows xp purchased in 2003.  I keeps freezing and slowed down(may be old age).  Can any one tell me what makes a computer run faster?  Is it the CPU or RAM?
Any kind of advice is appreciated.  Thanks.

Won

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Re: Computer Speed
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 08:40:32 PM »
Slow computers..... sigh... this is the bane of the computer tech's existence. There are so many reasons for this to happen it's hard to give advice when a person can't actually see what's going on. Here are some possible problems.

Not enough free space left on the hard drive
Not enough ram
Registry full of unused junk & entries
Slow or dead cooling fan/s
User trying to run too many programs at once
Fragmented hard drive

I'm sure if I'd think about more there are more reasons.

Also sometimes users confuse a slow computer with a slow internet speed. Just because as website is slow in displaying information doesn't mean that the computer is slow.

Brother Won... what I'm about to suggest is only for someone comfortable with installing Windows from scratch. Maybe you could find a tech savy person at church or someplace. But I'm willing to guess that if you formatted your hard (another discussion itself) and re-installed Windows from scratch that it would act like a brand new computer. This takes care of 95% of slow computer complaints.

But..... please remember when you do this you will LOOSE ALL DATA. So you will need to save any data off to a cd, dvd, or usb flash drive. But for you go down that road these are steps that you can do yourself that are relatively easy.

Defrag your hard drive.  (you can find this under "system tools")
Make sure that you have more that 10% free space left on your hard drive.

Now... I'm sure that other's will have different suggestions according to their experience. Let's see if anyone has a different idea. Their problem may end up being the same as yours.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Won Bae

Re: Computer Speed
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 06:48:37 AM »
JimB,
Thanks for your suggestion.  They sound good and worth trying.

Won