Author Topic: Free Bible Software  (Read 13709 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Free Bible Software
« on: September 04, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »
We have provided a link to this great software in the past in another forum, but we want to make sure that all have a good Bible program to study from. Here is one that we can recommend. e-Sword Bible software
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Free Bible Software
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »
I just got e-sword. It is excellent. Question for the users of this program: while the text display has Strong's numbers beside each word, I do not wish for them to appear when copying and pasting. Have been all over the program and cannot discover a way to eliminate them, thus showing a clean copy of the words alone in the text. Any ideas?

Thanks - this is an excellent program.

For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Free Bible Software
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »
This is a problem. One that can be solved since I originally got rid of the strong's notations. I wanted them not long ago, so I changed the settings and now, like you, I am not using the program until I can locate the instructions to change back to no Strong's. I looked and looked and looked...and even went to the "help" index till I was frustrated. I finally gave up.

Helppppp.......

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Free Bible Software
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 01:14:00 PM »
Thanks - but you did finally get rid of them? That gives me hope. I will continue to look. Now that I know there is a way. Appreciate it!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Free Bible Software
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »
With this free download, one Bible version, the KJV, is shown at the top. KJV+ The information on this Bible versions says it has embedded Strongs in it, so I may not be able to get rid of them for printing. Embedded is embedded!  ;D
Maybe the full version has a KJV that is without Strong's embedded.

For the time being, I am going to let it ride and not use it for cutting and pasting, only computer study.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Free Bible Software
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 02:07:00 PM »
You need to download the free KJVR add on. The "R" stands for words of Christ in red. If you had patience enough to download the main program over dial up this download will be nothing.    :)
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Free Bible Software
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 03:50:00 PM »
YOu crack me up, Jim! Patience? Me? The Lord has given me dial up with no chance of anything else  just to help me in this deficient area. He is helping me make progress.

Yes, that little file was 13 minutes on dial up, so I waited for it and it works perfectly. Just what was needed to have the texts without Strong's.

They have an incredible number of Bibles to choose from - the old Guttenburg? Wow!

I really appreciate your help. Now I can carry on without having to type volumes of texts from this great program! God bless!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Free Bible Software
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »
http://www.e-sword.net/bibles.html

Richard, here is the link to get the KJVR without Strong's. Works great!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Free Bible Software
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »
Let me restate. I had it setup without Strongs and made a change. Do not remember how. Now I can't return to the original without Strongs. So, my version does both, and I want that option, but can't find the switch!!   :(

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Free Bible Software
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »
I don't have the old version any more brother Richard so I'm not going to be any help. I just don't remember that switch. Before when I wanted the strongs numbers I had to download that "bible" as an add-on.  

I'm sure that he has changed his mind over the different versions which way is better.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Free Bible Software
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »
At the top of the text box showing verses are the tabs for Bible versions ... is this what you need to switch?

I love the side-by-side comparison with versions. I got the redletter Jim suggested and the literal translation. The old Bible program I had is Lightning. It drove me crazy - not user friendly. This one is slick, as they used to say.

Cop

Free Bible Software
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 04:24:00 AM »
Richard, can I buy a copy of all of e-Sword from you? Being so far out in the woods, we don't get all the benefits that y'all do. Cell phones don't even work out here. My server is so slow that it would take me so many hours to download that the server disconnects.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Free Bible Software
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »
Cop, I would be happy to send you a copy of the  program. I am sure they allow free distribution of the program by others. I will check to make sure.

Cop

Free Bible Software
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »
Thanks my Brother. As you know, there is little else I can do but search the Scriptures and SOP. I usually spend 3-8 hours per day in study and would be most thankful for this.

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
Free Bible Software
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 08:20:00 AM »
My husband tried e-sword, but he didn't like it very well. That may be because we have used the free Bible software Online Bible. And the Strong's numbers only appear with you want them too.  :) It has several copy functions which allows you to open your word processor and when you copy verses, it will automatically paste them into the wp. It is also easy to copy the Strong's definitions.

The program comes with the AV (authorized version or what we know as the KJV) There are also other versions available for download, some free, some for a nominal fee. You can also download books, concordances, maps, etc. There are three manuals available in PDF.

The man who built our first computer years ago loaded Online Bible on it for us and we have used it ever since. You can download it here: http://www.onlinebible.net/ There are versions of the program for Macs, Palm Pilots and pocket PCs. Some of you might want to look into this software if you are not really happy with e-sword.

O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Free Bible Software
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »
Thanks, Sister Linda. I will include this program for Cop also. What a blessing to have computer Bible programs!!

Brian M

Re: Free Bible Software
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 03:44:43 PM »
e-sword has been updated and I like the new version much better. Just downloaded it this week. It has a little bit different look, but it seems easier to use. You have to re-download every add-on you want because the new version uses a different programming format and all the Bible versions & commentaries, etc. have been updated.

One example of an improved feature:

In the old e-sword you had to click on a book of the Bible and then scroll to the chapter. Now the books of the Bible are in one column and the chapter numbers appear in a column to the right. I like that much better.

Anyway, you may want to check the website www.e-sword.net and look at the new version information and screen shots before you decide if it is worth the time to download everything.

One thing to note, the Message Bible is no longer free with the new version, so if you still want it you have to pay for it this time ;) Somehow I don't think that will break anyone's heart ;D

Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. Psalm 119:18

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2009, 04:18:40 PM »
Thanks for the update Brian. This is a valuable program. I think we ought to start a thread in the Computer Forum for this program so we can better learn to use it. What do you think? 

Brian M

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2009, 04:22:35 PM »
I agree - it is wonderful. I think we could all benefit from each others knowledge about the program, what a great idea!
Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. Psalm 119:18

Bill Wennell

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 10:21:56 AM »
For those that like literal translations:

http://www.scripture4all.org/

I like it very much (I am also a fan of e-sword).
Bill Wennell<BR>Medical-missionary Brazil<BR>BiblicalTruths2000@Juno.com