Author Topic: The Fruit of the Spirit  (Read 43541 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Fruit of the Spirit
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2013, 03:40:34 AM »
That is a very nice summation.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2013, 04:08:17 AM »
And the fruit of the Spirit is ... temperance. Who wants to take this last fruit of the Spirit? Anyone?

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2013, 09:02:21 AM »
No one? Okay ...

1Corinthians 9:25  And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things.

That is very broad - "all things."

In the epistle to the Hebrews is pointed out the single-hearted purpose that should characterize the Christian's race for eternal life: "Let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith." Hebrews 12:1, 2

We tend to tie temperance to food, yet these verses suggest it is much more than nutritional self-control.

Help me out. Give me your best studied thoughts on what it means to be temperate in all things.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2013, 10:27:45 PM »
Some would say it means to have moderation in all things.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2013, 07:28:45 AM »
Thanks, Richard. Yes, ALL things, every aspect of our lives because we are striving for the mastery.

The entire chapter of 1Corinthians 9 gives us the primary reason why it is important to be temperate in all things. Notice the closing verse.

1Co 9:1  Am I not an apostle? am I not free? have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? are not ye my work in the Lord?
1Co 9:2  If I be not an apostle unto others, yet doubtless I am to you: for the seal of mine apostleship are ye in the Lord.
1Co 9:3  Mine answer to them that do examine me is this,
1Co 9:4  Have we not power to eat and to drink?
1Co 9:5  Have we not power to lead about a sister, a wife, as well as other apostles, and as the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas?
1Co 9:6  Or I only and Barnabas, have not we power to forbear working?
1Co 9:7  Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock?
1Co 9:8  Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also?
1Co 9:9  For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen?
1Co 9:10  Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope.
1Co 9:11  If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things?
1Co 9:12  If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ.
1Co 9:13  Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar?
1Co 9:14  Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.
1Co 9:15  But I have used none of these things: neither have I written these things, that it should be so done unto me: for it were better for me to die, than that any man should make my glorying void.
1Co 9:16  For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!
1Co 9:17  For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.
1Co 9:18  What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel.
1Co 9:19  For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.
1Co 9:20  And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
1Co 9:21  To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.
1Co 9:22  To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.
1Co 9:23  And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.
1Co 9:24  Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.
1Co 9:25  And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.
1Co 9:26  I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
1Co 9:27  But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2013, 05:27:10 PM »
Some would say it means to have moderation in all things.

:) I was not quick to realize what you were actually saying. You got me on that one,  :) but you are right, some WOULD say it only means moderation in all things, but not so. It is much deeper than that and the reason I brought Paul's message to the Corinthians into the conversation. For those with any question, just read the following:

In referring to these races as a figure of the Christian warfare, Paul emphasized the preparation necessary to the success of the contestants in the race--the preliminary discipline, the abstemious diet, the necessity for temperance. "Every man that striveth for the mastery," he declared, "is temperate in all things." The runners put aside every indulgence that would tend to weaken the physical powers, and by severe and continuous discipline trained their muscles to strength and endurance, that when the day of the contest should arrive, they might put the heaviest tax upon their powers. How much more important that the Christian, whose eternal interests are at stake, bring appetite and passion under subjection to reason and the will of God! Never must he allow his attention to be diverted by amusements, luxuries, or ease. All his habits and passions must be brought under the strictest discipline. Reason, enlightened by the teachings of God's word and guided by His Spirit, must hold the reins of control.  {AA 311.1} 
     And after this has been done, the Christian must put forth the utmost exertion in order to gain the victory. In the Corinthian games the last few strides of the contestants in the race were made with agonizing effort to keep up undiminished speed. So the Christian, as he nears the goal, will press onward with even more zeal and determination than at the first of his course.  {AA 311.2} 
     Paul presents the contrast between the chaplet of fading laurel received by the victor in the foot races, and the crown of immortal glory that will be given to him who runs with triumph the Christian race. "They do it," he declares, "to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible." To win a perishable prize, the Grecian runners spared themselves no toil or discipline. We are striving for a prize infinitely more valuable, even the crown of everlasting life. How much more careful should be our striving, how much more willing our sacrifice and self-denial!  {AA 311.3} 
     In the epistle to the Hebrews is pointed out the single-hearted purpose that should characterize the Christian's race for eternal life: "Let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith." Hebrews 12:1, 2. Envy, malice, evil thinking, evilspeaking, covetousness--these are weights that the Christian must lay aside if he would run successfully the race for immortality. Every habit or practice that leads into sin and brings dishonor upon Christ must be put away, whatever the sacrifice. The blessing of heaven cannot attend any man in violating the eternal principles of right. One sin cherished is sufficient to work degradation of character and to mislead others.  {AA 312.1} 
     "If thy hand cause thee to stumble," the Saviour said, "Cut it off: it is good for thee to enter into life maimed, rather than having thy two hands to go into hell, into the unquenchable fire. And if thy foot cause thee to stumble, cut it off: it is good for thee to enter into life halt, rather than having thy two feet to be cast into hell." Mark 9:43-45, R.V. If to save the body from death, the foot or the hand should be cut off, or even the eye plucked out, how much more earnest should the Christian be to put away sin, which brings death to the soul!  {AA 312.2}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2013, 06:24:48 PM »
Amen! Truth can easily stand on its own.  For those seeking truth, the Holy Spirit will help them see the reality of this truth. What we eat and how we live is a reflection of where the heart is.

I like this definition of "temperance" as is being used by Paul. True temperance teaches us to abstain entirely from that which is injurious, and to use moderately those things which are beneficial. To do all things in moderation as the saying goes, is to fall into the plans of the father of all lies. Common sense will quickly reveal that there are many many things we are to abstain from completely. And, with a little thinking about it, many more things ought to be abstained from because they are injurious, even if to a lesser degree. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2013, 07:32:07 AM »
Amen.

Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? 1 Corinthians 3:16

Says Inspiration: The sacred temple of the body must be kept pure and uncontaminated, that God's Holy Spirit may dwell therein.

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2013, 07:56:10 AM »
...Christ does not abide in the heart of the sinner, but in the heart of him who is susceptible to the influences of heaven. Reflecting Christ 107.3

The influence of the Holy Spirit is the life of Christ in the soul... That I May Know Him 57.5

The Spirit of God keeps evil under the control of conscience. When man exalts himself above the influence of the Spirit ("the life of Christ in the soul"), he reaps a harvest of iniquity. Over such a man the Spirit has less and less influence to restrain him from sowing seeds of disobedience. Warnings have less and less power over him. He gradually loses his fear of God. He sows to the flesh; he will reap corruption. The harvest of the seed that he himself has sown, is ripening. He has a contempt for God’s holy commandments. His heart of flesh becomes a heart of stone. Resistance to truth confirms him in iniquity. It is because men sowed seeds of evil, that lawlessness, crime, and violence prevailed in the antediluvian world. S.D.A. Bible Commentary Vol. 6 1112.1

These truths are actual fact; not, fanciful theory and idle tales (Luke 24:11) as so many professing Christians, as well as the avowed unbeliever, so adamently assert. If not by word, every soul testifies to God's faithfulness by the life that presently possesses them; yet the unbeliever is a savour ONLY of death.

...ye are...in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. Romans 8:9

...thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place. 15 For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish:  16 To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life. And who is sufficient for these things?  2 Corinthians 2:14-16

"...who is sufficient for these things" but they within whom the Christ-life abides!
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2013, 07:15:42 AM »
Amen, Glen! Continual abiding in Christ puts on display what kind of fruit grows on the Christian tree.

Concluding the fruit of temperance: A diseased body and disordered intellect, because of continual indulgence in hurtful lust, make sanctification of the body and spirit impossible. That is a mighty statement. What I do, what I think, what I eat, has eternal consequences. If we desire the presence of the Holy Spirit within us, we must make way for Him.

Again, Paul's letter to the Corinthians: 1Cor 9:25  And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.
1Cor 9:26  I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
1Cor 9:27  But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection:

And as you said, we can only accomplish this through a continual abiding in Christ. It is only through His power that this can be accomplished.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2013, 10:43:32 PM »
Amen! If we would see the standard of virtue and godliness exalted, as Christians we have a work devolving upon us individually to control appetite, the indulgence of which counteracts the force of truth, and weakens moral power to resist and overcome temptation. As Christ's followers, we should in eating and drinking act from principle. When we obey the injunction of the apostle, "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God," think of the thousands of dollars which are now sacrificed upon the altar of hurtful lust that could then be given over to the work of proclaiming the soon coming Savior.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2013, 05:34:49 AM »
That is truth. Amen.