Author Topic: Nutritional Yeast Flakes  (Read 34512 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Nutritional Yeast Flakes
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 07:50:26 PM »
Here is one source I found...

Reliable Vegan Sources of Vitamin B12

A number of reliable vegan food sources for vitamin B12 are known. One brand of nutritional yeast, Red Star T-6635+, has been tested and shown to contain active vitamin B12. This brand of yeast is often labeled as Vegetarian Support Formula with or without T-6635+ in parentheses following this new name. It is a reliable source of vitamin B12. Nutritional yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, is a food yeast, grown on a molasses solution, which comes as yellow flakes or powder. 

Source

Is the b-12 from an animal source? It sounds like it is.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Lewis

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 08:03:02 PM »

A number of reliable vegan food sources for vitamin B12 are known. One brand of nutritional yeast, Red Star T-6635+, has been tested and shown to contain active vitamin B12. This brand of yeast is often labeled as Vegetarian Support Formula with or without T-6635+ in parentheses following this new name. It is a reliable source of vitamin B12. Nutritional yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, is a food yeast, grown on a molasses solution, which comes as yellow flakes or powder. 

Source

Saccharomyces cerevisiae
Source

From what I have found I am not seeing that it is from an animal source Richard. Is there something that you have found? If there is, I would surely like to know. Maybe I am not finding the right sources or am overlooking something here.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2008, 04:18:55 AM »
We've been selling this stuff for years, and our understanding has always been that there is no animal connection.  It used to come mostly as a byproduct of the brewing industry, but now, fortunately, we can get it from companies that produce it for its healthful properties, and thus avoid supporting the brewing "industry."
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

asygo

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2008, 11:39:02 AM »
Lewis, that is interesting that you should mention about the effect of protein on the liver and kidneys.  My 22 yo son with the liver transplant was doing some heavy training recently.  The guy he was working with wanted him to eat a very high protein diet.  I wasn't in favor of this, but then, I'm just his mother.   ::)  I don't know how long he kept it up, but last week he had some labwork done.  One of his kidney tests and his liver tests were out of whack.  I was been wondering if the diet he was on caused this, along with some other factors, like a virus and dehydration.  Looks like it could have.  I had mentioned to him before that we don't need as much protein as is commonly believed.  Perhaps this will convince him.  Thanks for the info.

You might also mention to him that too much protein (which is what the average American gets) leaches calcium from the bones, even if one is taking calcium supplements.  Guess why there is so much osteoperosis in the US?  There is a lot of information about this in Neil Nedley's book, Proof Positive.  It's a very valuable reference work.

Walter Veith has some good stuff on the effects of too much protein, especially protein from animal sources.
By God's grace,
Arnold M. Sy Go
-end-

asygo

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2008, 11:39:49 AM »
It used to come mostly as a byproduct of the brewing industry

I believe this is called "brewers" yeast flakes.
By God's grace,
Arnold M. Sy Go
-end-

stephen

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2008, 09:00:49 AM »
This is the 'parmasian cheese' recipe I use:

1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1/2 cup ground sesame seeds
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon chicken-like seasoning
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Mix together all ingredients and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Zep 1:11 Howl, ye inhabitants of Maktesh, for all the merchant people are cut down; all they that bear silver are cut off.

Zep 1:12 And it shall come to pass at that time, [that] I will search Jerusalem with candles, and punish the men that are settled on their lees: that say in

Larry Lyons

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2008, 06:26:21 PM »
We've been selling this stuff for years, and our understanding has always been that there is no animal connection.  It used to come mostly as a byproduct of the brewing industry, but now, fortunately, we can get it from companies that produce it for its healthful properties, and thus avoid supporting the brewing "industry."
I think they call it brewers yeast becuse it is the kind of yeast that is used to make beer.

But please don't experiment to find out.  ;D

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 02:02:46 PM »

Source

Saccharomyces cerevisiae
Source

From what I have found I am not seeing that it is from an animal source Richard. Is there something that you have found? If there is, I would surely like to know. Maybe I am not finding the right sources or am overlooking something here.

Brother Lewis, I take nothing for granted any longer. When it comes to food, buyer beware. The industry is riddled with dishonesty when it come to labeling. If the product does not say "vegan" then usually there is a reason. If the nutritional yeast does not say vegan, then beware. My understanding is that the b-12 is an additive to the yeast. What the source of that b-12 is has to be found out. We may not just guess it is not animal.

Until we find out that it is "vegan" or rather "strict vegetarian" I assume it is not. This is a sprititual battle. We war against the Father of All Lies. He is at work in the food industry to deceive. And if possible he would deceive the very elect, but he cannot.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Lewis

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2008, 03:10:29 PM »
Brother Lewis, I take nothing for granted any longer. When it comes to food, buyer beware. The industry is riddled with dishonesty when it come to labeling. If the product does not say "vegan" then usually there is a reason. If the nutritional yeast does not say vegan, then beware. My understanding is that the b-12 is an additive to the yeast. What the source of that b-12 is has to be found out. We may not just guess it is not animal.

Until we find out that it is "vegan" or rather "strict vegetarian" I assume it is not. This is a sprititual battle. We war against the Father of All Lies. He is at work in the food industry to deceive. And if possible he would deceive the very elect, but he cannot.

There is a couple of us who have contacted the Red Star company to find out what they have to say. I am hoping they will email us the information where one of us can post their response.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 03:36:47 PM »
That is the course that we must most often follow. They are not forthcoming with their ingredients and even when contacted, it sometimes is hard to get to the bottom of it. It is like the "natural" flavors.  Pig is a natural flavor. :(

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2008, 07:40:47 AM »
From what I have been able to discover from my research, the B-12 is acutally produced by the yeast itself as it grows.  And I believe it is grown on beet sugar.  The only reason any animal has B-12 is because of the bacteria in their bodies that produce it.  It's just that vegetarians don't always produce enought for themselves.  It is the bacteria that produce the B-12 as they grow.  They don't need to be in an animal's system to produce the B-12.  I will try to get some documentation on this, if I can.  Red Star should be able to provide that if they get back to us.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Brian M

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2008, 07:55:07 AM »
I happen to have this information on file at work. Here is what the spec sheet says about the Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula (T6635+) Nutritional Yeast Flakes.

Description: Lesaffre Yeast Corporation specifically developed Vegetarian Support Formula (T6635+) Primary Grown Nutritional Yeast for those on a vegetarian diet. Lesaffre Yeast grows the yeast under carefully controlled conditions and then dries the product on drum dryers.

Ingredients: Dried yeast, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin (B2), thiamine hydrochloride (B1), folic acid, Vitamin B12.

Note: The source of Vitamin B12 in Vegetarian Support Formula (T6635+) is from a natural fermentation, not from a synthetic process or from an animal source.

I also have a pdf copy we made that has nutritional information on yeast flakes and a chart that tells what it is and what it is not.
Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. Psalm 119:18

Brian M

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2008, 08:04:01 AM »
The following is the information from the pdf file I noted above. The formatting is different because of the cut and paste, but I did adjust the format to make it a little more readable.

Nutritional Yeast Flakes – Vegetarian Support Formula
Nutritional Yeast contains a high concentration of the B-complex vitamins, keys to a healthy life. These vitamins are know to help persons suffering from various nervous disorders, depression, stress and anxiety, as well as those dealing with migraines, asthma, anemia, allergies, and women suffering from candida and premenstrual tension, making nutritional yeast a valuable supplement for daily life. Nutritional yeast is also an excellent source of complex carbohydrates (beta-1, 3 glucan and mannan). These dietary fibers have been shown to have a positive relationship to decreased serum cholesterol. Gluthathione, an antioxidant also found in nutritional yeast, plays an important role in cellular defense mechanisms. Red Star's specific cultivation methods allow for the presence of these beneficial components. It is not a dairy yeast product, such as whey yeast, nor does it contain added sugars or preservatives. Nutritional yeast is best kept stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator or in a cool dry place.
Nutritional Yeast Is:
* A terrific food supplement, providing nutrition, enhancing flavor, and adding taste to your favorite meals and drinks.
* An excellent source of protein, containing essential and non-essential amino acids.
* Rich in vitamins, especially the B-Complex vitamins.
* An excellent source of folic acid, which is important for formation, growth, and reproduction of red blood
cells.
* Grown specifically for its nutritional value.
* Grown exclusively on molasses.
* Naturally low in fat and salt.
* Kosher certified (excluding Passover).
* Best when stored in a cool, dry place.
Nutritional Yeast Is Not:
* Brewer's Yeast, a by-product of the brewing industry.
* Torula yeast, a by-product of the paper mill waste streams obtained by growing Pichia jadinii on wood
sugars.
* Dairy yeast, or whey yeast, which is obtained by growing Kluyveromyce marxianus using cheese whey or whey permeate.
* An active baking yeast.
* A genetically modified organism (gmo).
* A product containing added sugars or preservatives.
* A health concern. Lasaffre (Red Star and Saf) are not found to be a cause of yeast or candida infections.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 2 Heaping Tbsp (16g)
Amount Per Serving
Calories 130 Calories from Fat 0
% Daily Value based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Total Fat .83g 1%
Saturated Fat .21g 1%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 5.12mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 7.2g 2%
Dietary Fiber 3.9g 16%
Sugars 1g
Protein 8.34g 17%
Potassium 320mg 9%
Vitamin A 0% * Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 1% * Iron 4%
Thiamin (B1) 640% * Riboflavin (B2) 565%
Niacin 280% * Vitamin (B6) 480%
Folic Acid 60% * Vitamin (B12) 133%
Biotin 7% * Pantothenic Acid
10%
Phosphorus 17% * Magnesium 5%
Zinc 21% * Selenium 32%
Copper 6% * Manganese 5%
Molybdenum 9% * Chromium <1%

History of Yeast
Yeast belongs to the same family as edible mushrooms and the beneficial organisms used for medical and
veterinary use. It may be considered man's oldest industrial microorganism. With the invention of the microscope, it became possible to isolate yeast in pure culture form. The pioneering scientific work of Louis Pasteur in the late 1860's has resulted in the ability today to commercially produce baker's yeast, wine yeast, and nutritional yeast. Red Star yeast has been delivery consistent high quality yeast products
for over 100 years. For more than 50 of those years, the company has been manufacturing primary grown
nutritional yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae), grown specifically for its nutritional value.
Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. Psalm 119:18

Lewis

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2008, 11:56:21 AM »
I just got a call from Mr. M. Miller of Red Star from the Regional East offices in Milwaukee Wisconsin. He stated that Nutritional Yeast T-3365 is not from an animal source and is not from a synthetic process.

Sister Dee

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2008, 02:08:36 PM »
Lewis, I'm guessing you meant T-6635.  ;)  If so, then mine are good.   :)

Lewis

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2008, 02:17:34 PM »
Lewis, I'm guessing you meant T-6635.  ;)  If so, then mine are good.   :)

??? Yes Diane I most certainly did  :D

I had just gotten home from over the pass, and typed this in real quick. Maybe I am getting sluggish due to the fact of lacking in B12, or it is the elevation? Thanks    ;D

Vicki

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2014, 12:30:04 PM »
Here are my questions   #1 Is yeast flakes the same as bread yeast in terms of its affect on Candida ? Is brewers yeast a live yeast ?     #2 If it i,s doesn't boiling it even a little such as with gravy or cheese kill the yeast ?

#1 - Nutritional Yeast Flakes does not act the same as bread yeast with Candida; it is not an active yeast. Brewer's Yeast, however, is an active yeast and does affect Candida.
#2 - I don't know.

I have been confused on the difference between Brewer's Yeast & Nutritional Yeast Flakes for years. Years ago we'd sprinkle Brewer's Yeast on beans - it was a brown powder and had a heavy, strong flavor. I haven't used or seen it for decades. Nutritional Yeast Flakes is a yellow flake with a cheesy texture. Sometimes I see what looks like Nutritional Yeast labeled as Brewer's Yeast. My experience tells me something is wrong with that. I make sure to buy what's labeled as Nutritional, can see that it is yellow flakes, and I don't have problems.

Both links go to wiseGEEK.com:

What is the connection between nutritional yeast and candida?

What is Brewer's Yeast?

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2014, 05:09:36 PM »
My understanding has always been that brewer's yeast is a byproduct of brewing alcoholic beverages; while nutritional yeast is produced purely for that one purpose, and does not support the brewing industry.  That's what we tell our customers, anyway.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2014, 06:33:27 PM »
That is my understanding also, Wally.  As far as I know, the Brewer's Yeast sold as a health food is not live. I believe it is a by-product of beer brewing and is not reused, but heated to deactivate it before it is sold as a health food. Nutritional yeast has a nice flavor. We use it raw and cooked.

colporteur

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2016, 08:18:28 AM »

I have been doing some research on Nutritional yeast. We use a fair amount of it and it sounds like it is bad news. From what I hear and read it is a refined product and similar if not the same as MSG. It is a refined food, an amino acid pulled out by itself and therefore an excite toxin / free radical. They say that like other free radicals it over stimulates and burns out receptors in the brain. They say it is only nutritional because it has been fortified. It has much higher MSG ingredients than found naturally in our food.

Does anyone have any more clarification on this ?
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.