Author Topic: Nutritional Yeast Flakes  (Read 34486 times)

Sister Dee

Nutritional Yeast Flakes
« on: November 13, 2008, 08:07:50 AM »
I'm guessing these should go in the fridge as well? 

Brian M

Re: Nutritional Yeast Flakes
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 08:19:47 AM »
It is not necessary to refrigerate them. The Lesaffre company, which manufacture's Red Star Nutritional Yeast Flakes says this

What is the shelf life of nutritional yeast?

Red StarŪ nutritional yeast is good for 24 months when stored in airtight container, away from direct sunlight in a cool dry area.

More info can be found here: Source
Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. Psalm 119:18

asygo

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 08:29:01 AM »
While it is not necessary, we find that keeping it in the freezer keeps it nice and dry.
By God's grace,
Arnold M. Sy Go
-end-

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 08:30:06 AM »
That is what I do, Arnold. Also, there are people who use nutritional Yeast Flakes as a substitute for Parmesan cheese. Does someone have that recipe?
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Brian M

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 08:49:39 AM »
I'm sure the freezer would work, we've never tried that. We keep ours in an airtight container in the basement and have a smaller container upstairs we refill as we need to. Our freezer is pretty small...we'd have to use 1/4 of our freezer to hold all our yeast flakes. :P
Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. Psalm 119:18

Linda K

• Wordkeeping
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 10:22:00 AM »
I really enjoy the taste of nutritional yeast, however, there are some concerns about it. I've noticed that when I eat it, I have a difficult time going to sleep. My heart pounds, and I feel wired. This is the same reaction I get when I've eaten anything with MSG in it. If you do a google search for Nutritional Yeast MSG" you will find some interesting reading. Does anyone have any comments on this? I love nutritional yeast on my popcorn. I blend it in the VitaMix with some herbs and onion and garlic powder, and salt, and then mix the fine powder with olive oil, and drizzle it over air popped corn. It's delicious. But if I eat it, I can count on not going to sleep for many hours. Does someone have a like substitute for nutritional yeast?

Immanuel

• Senior Moderator
  • Jesus is My Judge
    • Emmanuel Institute of Evangelism
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 12:51:20 PM »
From the book "Tastefully Vegan" by Gerard & Kathryn McClane:

Mix:
1/3 c. Nutritional Yeast Flakes
1/2 c. Blanched & Ground Almonds

Then Add:
2 TBSP Soymilk Powder
2 tsp Chicken-style seasoning
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Onion powder

Coat or spray evenly with:
2 tsp lemon juice mixed with 1 tsp water

Mix well until crumbs are very small. Spread out on cookie sheet and toast at 200 degrees, stirring every 30 minutes, until dry and crispy. Avoid browning! Process again in blender until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Store in airtight container. Will keep for many weeks in refrigerator.

Tastefully Vegan is one of the best vegan cookbooks that I have come across. Full of nutritionally balanced, healthy, and tasty recipes. Gerard McClane, DrPH, was the program director at Lifestyle Centers of America and is currently vice-president of Wellsource. Lots of great info in addition to the recipes!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 12:56:30 PM »
Parmesan, Immanuel?

Looks like it.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Brian M

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 02:04:06 PM »
I really enjoy the taste of nutritional yeast, however, there are some concerns about it. I've noticed that when I eat it, I have a difficult time going to sleep. My heart pounds, and I feel wired. This is the same reaction I get when I've eaten anything with MSG in it. If you do a google search for Nutritional Yeast MSG" you will find some interesting reading. Does anyone have any comments on this? I love nutritional yeast on my popcorn. I blend it in the VitaMix with some herbs and onion and garlic powder, and salt, and then mix the fine powder with olive oil, and drizzle it over air popped corn. It's delicious. But if I eat it, I can count on not going to sleep for many hours. Does someone have a like substitute for nutritional yeast?

Maybe someone else can speak to this better; however, as I understand it yeast contains glutamate naturally, which can cause a reaction in people who are allergic to MSG. You will find the same type of issue with autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed protein, etc...to a much larger extent.

If you have issues with glutamate products, you may want to avoid Bragg's Liquid Aminos, which I understand is hydrolyzed in its processing, giving it an MSG like quality.

I hope someone else has more information, I've been looking for info on the Bragg's in particular.

Immanuel

• Senior Moderator
  • Jesus is My Judge
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 02:22:44 PM »
Parmesan, Immanuel?

That's what its supposed to be like.

Suzanne

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 02:59:46 PM »
Nutritional yeast should be eaten in the morning with breakfast, for it will indeed pep you up.  Yes, if you consume it later in the day you could risk disturbed sleep.   

Suzanne

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 03:30:20 PM »
We cannot take anything for granted any longer. There is too much corruption in the world. I think we have a topic on braggs somewhere. I know that there is a physician, neuro-surgeon I think, who is dead set against Braggs and other similar proteins.

Nutritional yeast often has added ingredients. Ellen White cautioned us against putting anything into our mouths that we did not know what was. This statement was in regards to the ingredients drugs I believe, but today, we are deceived in many products with names we cannot pronounce or know the meaning of.

Check out the ingredients in your nutritional yeast and let us know what your find. There may be something from an animal source.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Brian M

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 04:33:23 PM »
Red star nutritional yeast is a primary grown, vegetarian yeast flakes (as opposed to brewer's yeast, which is a by-product of alcohol brewing). It is made from molasses, with no added animal products. I'm not sure what other companies are out there manufacturing them, so I can't speak to the ingredients on any other brand. Linda, what brand do you use?

Linda K

• Wordkeeping
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 04:46:13 PM »
Source

I use the bulk nutritional yeast from Loma Linda Market, by Vibrant Life, but it says Red Star on it. I think Red Star makes most of the Nutritional yeast available. It's the flavor enhancer that's questionable. See the above source.

I have a sister-in-law that's very health conscious and she says she won't use it. But unless someone shows me that it is not good for me, I will still use it. It's a good source of Vitamin B12.

Immanuel

• Senior Moderator
  • Jesus is My Judge
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 07:30:26 PM »
Source

I use the bulk nutritional yeast from Loma Linda Market, by Vibrant Life, but it says Red Star on it. I think Red Star makes most of the Nutritional yeast available. It's the flavor enhancer that's questionable. See the above source.

I have a sister-in-law that's very health conscious and she says she won't use it. But unless someone shows me that it is not good for me, I will still use it. It's a good source of Vitamin B12.

I am not sure how reputable an article that is trying to discredit one product so that you will buy their product would be. Basically they are trying to say that because Red Star was owned by a company that also had a division that produces MSG then that equates to Nutritional Yeast containing MSG or a similar compound. Shaky reasoning at best.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 08:08:26 PM »
Source

Is the b12 natural or is it an added ingredient? If added, is it from an animal source?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Lewis

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 08:39:17 PM »
Here is one source I found...

Reliable Vegan Sources of Vitamin B12

A number of reliable vegan food sources for vitamin B12 are known. One brand of nutritional yeast, Red Star T-6635+, has been tested and shown to contain active vitamin B12. This brand of yeast is often labeled as Vegetarian Support Formula with or without T-6635+ in parentheses following this new name. It is a reliable source of vitamin B12. Nutritional yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, is a food yeast, grown on a molasses solution, which comes as yellow flakes or powder. 

Source

Lewis

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 09:36:56 PM »
Nutritional yeast is good, but I do not over use the flakes, because it would not take long to add up high amounts of protein. Ingesting too much protein is not a good on your liver, kidneys and gastrointestinal tract. I have read that too much protein decreases the lifespan as well. It has been discovered that we do not need the high amounts of protein that many in the health fields say that we do. When I use to run long distance of 15 to 22 miles per day 6 days per week, I could get by with eating 40-60 grams of protein per day. I followed the advice of Dr. Agatha Thrash. Dr. Agatha and Calvin Thrash have a book called Nutrition for Vegetarians that is very good about health. And of course we have the great books from Sister White. Lots to learn.  :)

Sister Dee

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2008, 09:49:39 AM »
Lewis, that is interesting that you should mention about the effect of protein on the liver and kidneys.  My 22 yo son with the liver transplant was doing some heavy training recently.  The guy he was working with wanted him to eat a very high protein diet.  I wasn't in favor of this, but then, I'm just his mother.   ::)  I don't know how long he kept it up, but last week he had some labwork done.  One of his kidney tests and his liver tests were out of whack.  I was been wondering if the diet he was on caused this, along with some other factors, like a virus and dehydration.  Looks like it could have.  I had mentioned to him before that we don't need as much protein as is commonly believed.  Perhaps this will convince him.  Thanks for the info. 

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2008, 04:50:16 PM »
Lewis, that is interesting that you should mention about the effect of protein on the liver and kidneys.  My 22 yo son with the liver transplant was doing some heavy training recently.  The guy he was working with wanted him to eat a very high protein diet.  I wasn't in favor of this, but then, I'm just his mother.   ::)  I don't know how long he kept it up, but last week he had some labwork done.  One of his kidney tests and his liver tests were out of whack.  I was been wondering if the diet he was on caused this, along with some other factors, like a virus and dehydration.  Looks like it could have.  I had mentioned to him before that we don't need as much protein as is commonly believed.  Perhaps this will convince him.  Thanks for the info. 

You might also mention to him that too much protein (which is what the average American gets) leaches calcium from the bones, even if one is taking calcium supplements.  Guess why there is so much osteoperosis in the US?  There is a lot of information about this in Neil Nedley's book, Proof Positive.  It's a very valuable reference work.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10