Author Topic: The lesson from the goats...  (Read 4740 times)

RickH

The lesson from the goats...
« on: November 03, 2008, 02:04:07 PM »
I also posted this story as "Can the Law save us?" but it works with either way...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jesus used parables to explain things plainly so the people could understand, and I was struck as I worked on my fence this morning, by how the fence was like Gods law, and I thought I would share it. I have many animals but none have given me more grief than my goats. When I first got them, they were a few weeks old and I put up a fence to keep them safe from the various panthers, bears, bobcats and other wildlife that share the woods with us. The fence was more of a marker for the goats as they soon learned to go under it and wander out in the woods were dangers lurked. They got out and indulged in all their little goat desires and ate lantana and other things which wasnt good for them, then at night they would come home through the front gate and lay on the warm hood of my car or the top, causing me great grief. Then I lost some of them from bloating from what they ate and to wildlife, so I did everything I could to save them from the real dangers in the woods. I put a second fence around them so they were in sight of the house so I could go get them if they got out. I sank the bottom of the fence deeper, but they jumped over it. I made the fence higher, so they stood on top of stumps or logs so they could get over it. I told my wife we would have to get rid of the goats because they would not stay withing the fence, so she said to let her try.

She went and sat with them and gave them alfalfa hay to clear out their tummys of the bad stuff they had picked up. She talked to them and rubbed their bellies when they were sick and gave them charcoal for the bloating. Soon the goats stopped jumping the fence and waited for my wife in their pen, and let her hold them and clean their fur or between their horns as that is the one place they cant reach. Now they listen for her voice and come running when she calls and sit with her and listen to her little goat stories she tells them.

Something happened that changed the goats, I couldnt put my finger on it but on one thing I was clear, the fence didnt save them from the dangers. Did it help, yes as far as it delineated the cleared land of the farm and their little goat pen where it was safe. But somehow the goats changed in their little goat desires and behaviour and they no longer wanted to jump the fence and leave the farm, but instead to stay within the safety of the fence and share their happiness with someone who loves them......

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Re: The lesson from the goats...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 02:09:41 PM »
I also posted this story as "Can the Law save us?" but it works with either way...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jesus used parables to explain things plainly so the people could understand, and I was struck as I worked on my fence this morning, by how the fence was like Gods law, and I thought I would share it. I have many animals but none have given me more grief than my goats. When I first got them, they were a few weeks old and I put up a fence to keep them safe from the various panthers, bears, bobcats and other wildlife that share the woods with us. The fence was more of a marker for the goats as they soon learned to go under it and wander out in the woods were dangers lurked. They got out and indulged in all their little goat desires and ate lantana and other things which wasnt good for them, then at night they would come home through the front gate and lay on the warm hood of my car or the top, causing me great grief. Then I lost some of them from bloating from what they ate and to wildlife, so I did everything I could to save them from the real dangers in the woods. I put a second fence around them so they were in sight of the house so I could go get them if they got out. I sank the bottom of the fence deeper, but they jumped over it. I made the fence higher, so they stood on top of stumps or logs so they could get over it. I told my wife we would have to get rid of the goats because they would not stay withing the fence, so she said to let her try.

She went and sat with them and gave them alfalfa hay to clear out their tummys of the bad stuff they had picked up. She talked to them and rubbed their bellies when they were sick and gave them charcoal for the bloating. Soon the goats stopped jumping the fence and waited for my wife in their pen, and let her hold them and clean their fur or between their horns as that is the one place they cant reach. Now they listen for her voice and come running when she calls and sit with her and listen to her little goat stories she tells them.

Something happened that changed the goats, I couldnt put my finger on it but on one thing I was clear, the fence didnt save them from the dangers. Did it help, yes as far as it delineated the cleared land of the farm and their little goat pen where it was safe. But somehow the goats changed in their little goat desires and behaviour and they no longer wanted to jump the fence and leave the farm, but instead to stay within the safety of the fence and share their happiness with someone who loves them......

An excellent illustration.  It really gets the point across.  I may use it in my Sabbath School class some time.  Thanks for sharing it.

I knew there was a reason I never wanted any goats.  ;D
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 02:09:59 PM »
What a wonderful lesson! Thanks for sharing. I just love the lessons that God's creation can teach us. This reminds me of this text...

John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

John 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 02:10:49 PM »
Great story, Rick! I love it!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 12:11:45 PM »
Welcome to our online family, Brother Rick!  It is a blessing to see the gospel in your object lesson!  How true it is. Only the love of God can change our wretched hearts. The law only reveals the need. Thanks for sharing your experience and how God is leading you.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Brian M

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 01:47:04 PM »
That is a great illustration. I wonder how many of those types of things are missed because people are not walking with Christ through the day. The illustrations and examples are all around us, but our eyes must be open to them. Thanks for sharing.
Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. Psalm 119:18

Lewis

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 02:02:20 PM »
That is a great illustration. I wonder how many of those types of things are missed because people are not walking with Christ through the day. The illustrations and examples are all around us, but our eyes must be open to them. Thanks for sharing.

Amen!

Esther 7

• http://
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 02:59:07 PM »
Amen! and btw...I have seven goats with more on the way, and all of this is true! You can't keep a goat penned who doesn't want to be penned. Likewise, you cannot be saved by changing only the outward behavior. We must learn to love having our bellies rubbed and scratched between the horns where we cannot reach. Thank God He can!

Vicki

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 07:40:47 AM »
I shared this story with my family yesterday morning - we all enjoyed it. However, son (8yo) said he'd never want his belly rubbed.

As circumstances would have it, we all foolishly took a taste of a not quite ripe orange the night before (it looked so juicy it had to be good! or so we thought) and had stomach problems later that same morning. During the worst of it I rubbed sons tummy. Later he said he felt best when I was rubbing his tummy.  :)  Tummy rubs should be listed in natural remedy books next to charcoal.  :D

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 08:10:49 AM »
Bless him!  :( But I am sure the presence of a wonderful mother was 3/4 of the cure.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 08:23:22 PM »
Was re-reading this thread and the thought came to me that many do not understand that by allowing God's love to enter their hearts, they are kept from sinning. We will still be tempted, but the temptation is not successful as we abide in Christ. If we do not abide in Christ, then we are like the little goats that follow their corrupt nature. We naturally wander into danger with no protection.

We would all be saved, if we did not resist the drawing of Christ.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.