Author Topic: Crucifying Christ Afresh  (Read 20292 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Crucifying Christ Afresh
« on: October 29, 2008, 09:44:30 AM »
In Hebrews 6 Paul talks about people crucifying Christ afresh and putting Him to open shame. Are you doing all you can to make sure you don't do this?

There are those in the church who, unless thoroughly converted, will crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame. I appeal to every church-member to inquire, Am I doing all I can to honor my Redeemer?   {RH, December 4, 1900 par. 10}

Shall I Crucify Him?

Shall I crucify my Savior,
When for me He bore such loss?
Shall I put to shame my Savior,
Can I nail Him to the cross?

Are temptations so alluring,
Do earth's pleasures so enthrall,
That I cannot love my Savior
Well enough to leave them all?

'Twas my sins that crucified Him;
Shall they crucify Him yet?
Blackest day of nameless anguish,
And my thankless soul forget?

O, the kindly hands of Jesus,
Pouring blessings on all men!
Bleeding, nail scarred hands of Jesus,
Can I nail them once again?

Shall I crucify my Savior,
Crucify my Lord again?
Once, O once, I crucified Him,
Shall I crucify again?

Mrs. Frank A Breck

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Crucifying Christ Afresh
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 06:27:56 AM »
When do we "crucify afresh" our Saviour?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 07:56:41 AM »
 "Those who confess Me in this wicked and adulterous generation, him will I confess before My Father and the holy angels." This means that in your conduct, in your thoughts and faculties, and character, and every- thing, that you deport yourselves as Christians. You crucify Him afresh by your disloyal conduct. It is time that we were purifying ourselves as He is pure. Our human nature is to be as pure in our sphere as God is in His divine sphere. It is to be without spot. He sent His Son to sanctify and take us to Himself, and in that gift He sent down all heaven to honor us with eternal life. What a gift is this! May God help us to come up to the mark of the high calling which is in Christ Jesus.  {2SAT 55.2}

How many today are like Judas betraying their Lord! How many are sacrificing principle for the sake of worldly gain! Thus they crucify Christ afresh, and put Him to open shame.  {ST, February 19, 1902 par. 12}

Over and over again men act out their own will and way. They deny and reject Christ. They betray and crucify him afresh; but his claims remain just the same. The standard of character which men must reach is the same that it has been from the foundation of the world.
Mrs. E. G. White. {YI, May 27, 1897 par. 17}
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 09:38:23 AM »
Amen! These are very strong statements about what it means to be a Christian.  So very few understand this. Many have been taught that they are living the Christian life while sinning. They even believe they have eternal life while crucifying Christ afresh. It is an amazing thing to witness.

The power of God's love is strong enough to actually make us partakers of His divine nature if we will allow it into our hearts. And....Christ can keep us if we will hold on to His hand!  There is no excuse for sin. Christ has provided a way of escape.    There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear [it].  1 Cor. 10:13.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Brian M

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 09:58:06 AM »
Amen! These are very strong statements about what it means to be a Christian.  So very few understand this. Many have been taught that they are living the Christian life while sinning. They even believe they have eternal life while crucifying Christ afresh. It is an amazing thing to witness.

The power of God's love is strong enough to actually make us partakers of His divine nature if we will allow it into our hearts. And....Christ can keep us if we will hold on to His hand!  There is no excuse for sin. Christ has provided a way of escape.    There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear [it].  1 Cor. 10:13.

The problem for many is that they have no concept of the horrible nature of sin. Without that, you cannot see God's holiness in the right light. They think that "little" sins are insignificant. I know this because I have thought that way before. Even now I know I must fight this battle in my mind. The devil would have us think that only the things we see as major are to be guarded against, but this is a lie.
Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. Psalm 119:18

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 04:38:16 PM »
I agree it's when we see the awfulness of even the "littlest" of our sins and how Christ chose to bear them voluntarily for us that our heart is changed. When we meet Jesus on the cross and we confess our sins our heart of stone is replaced with a heart of flesh.

This new heart doesn't ever want to be separated from Christ again and does everything it can in God's grace to keep from crucifying Christ all over again. It breaks the heart to even think of doing such a thing.

Thus every time a Christian sins they crucify Christ all over again.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 08:18:59 AM »
How many of really consider the fact that we are crucifying Christ afresh when we sin. If this was foremost in our minds I believe that resisting temptation would be much easier.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 09:07:55 PM »
Amen! If we were to keep our minds stayed on Christ, we would not end up in the water as did Peter.  He is our strength and our Fortress!  If we love Him then we surely would not want to hurt Him who gave all for us!

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 09:57:32 AM »
Christ, the sinless One, was making an infinite sacrifice for sinners, that they might be saved. He came as a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief, and those for whom He came looked upon Him as stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. The cup of suffering was placed in His hand, as if He were the guilty one, and he drained it to the dregs. He bore the sin of the world to the bitter end. And yet men continue to sin, and Christ continues to feel the consequences of their sin as if he Himself were the guilty one. {13MR 369.3} 

This was recently shared with me. I must admit I find it hard to think about this. It's one thing to know and understand that we put Christ to open shame again when we sin but it drives it down further into the heart to realize that Christ still feels the consequences of our sin as though he were the guilty one.

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 12:34:57 PM »
  The smitten rock was a figure of Christ, and through this symbol the most precious spiritual truths are taught. As the life-giving waters flowed from the smitten rock, so from Christ, "smitten of God," "wounded for our transgressions," "bruised for our iniquities" (Isaiah 53:4, 5), the stream of salvation flows for a lost race. As the rock had been once smitten, so Christ was to be "once offered to bear the sins of many." Hebrews 9:28. Our Saviour was not to be sacrificed a second time; and it is only necessary for those who seek the blessings of His grace to ask in the name of Jesus, pouring forth the heart's desire in penitential prayer. Such prayer will bring before the Lord of hosts the wounds of Jesus, and then will flow forth afresh the life-giving blood, symbolized by the flowing of the living water for Israel. {PP 411.3}     
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 12:47:40 PM »
Amen, Ed.

We are saved by the revelation of grace as well as the sacrifice. That is, we have to accept It. It is grace that reaches into the heart to cause us to surrender our will to God's will. It is the revelation of that great love as seen in this verse that causes us to fall at His feet in penitence.

"It's one thing to know and understand that we put Christ to open shame again when we sin but it drives it down further into the heart to realize that Christ still feels the consequences of our sin as though he were the guilty one."  "By His stripes we are healed." It is the power of grace that transforms the character.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 08:04:56 AM »
"Those who confess Me in this wicked and adulterous generation, him will I confess before My Father and the holy angels." This means that in your conduct, in your thoughts and faculties, and character, and every- thing, that you deport yourselves as Christians. You crucify Him afresh by your disloyal conduct. It is time that we were purifying ourselves as He is pure. Our human nature is to be as pure in our sphere as God is in His divine sphere. It is to be without spot.   {2SAT 55.2}

This is a powerful statement that few understand and many will disagree with.