Author Topic: Suggest a New Topic  (Read 12846 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Suggest a New Topic
« on: December 25, 2004, 05:31:00 PM »
The Bread of Life Forum was begun almost five years ago. As we review the number of topics we see that there are relatively few in number. This was premeditated. The topics are hopefully "present truth" and will continue to be a blessing to read and discuss until Jesus returns.

Users have suggested new topics and may continue to do so in this thread. May God bless our study of His Word!

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

NCMorgan

• http://
Suggest a New Topic
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 03:33:00 PM »
I would like to study texts that give God's response to those who are involved in Dungeons and Dragons and other fantasy outlets. My husband and my good friend (both Adventists) are heavily involved in this and are not convicted to be freed from it. Actually, my husband is convicted but hesitant because he enjoys it so much. My friend is not convinced that there is anything in God's word against it as it applies to his life today.He is not worshiping these things for they are not real, therefore he does not see any sin involved in playing or reading fantasy.

------------------
My heart is steadfast, O God. I will sing and make music with all my soul! Ps 108:1

My heart is steadfast, O God. I will sing and make music with all my soul! Ps 108:1

Laurie Mosher

• There is a place of quiet rest
Suggest a New Topic
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 10:58:00 AM »
From past responses, I believe Dungeons and dragons is more involved than people realize. Delving into the unknown via spiritism or mythical fantasies involves oneself participating with complications.

Proverbs 14:12  There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

Rev 12:9  And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

I'll spend some time studying this topic tonite, and try to have more answers (Biblical) in AM.

------------------
"Keep "the" faith, BUT pass it around !    

Brother Laurie

Keep "the" Faith,  Brother Laurie

Laurie Mosher

• There is a place of quiet rest
Suggest a New Topic
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 10:06:00 AM »
I believe that there is a connection between " D&D", along with Harry Potter's "works". A lot of parents think it is just a fantasy-type of entertainment for their children; it gives me the shivers knowing that Satan can enter small minds through the avenues of the eyes and ears.

Just recently (yesterday, in fact) I received a MacLean's magazine (Canadian)with a picture of Jesus Christ's crucifixion on the front cover. The article written by the same author of DaVinci Code, suggests that "Jesus really didn't die, but may have been drugged to "appear" that He died. Pilate being convinced that Jesus was really innocent, wanted to save Him.
   Really such "drivel" boggles my mind, until I realize these "guys" are really just fulfilling prophecy.
2 Corinthians 4:3-4 "But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not. lest the light of theglorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them."

I'm reminded of the scripture from Philippians 4:8 "Finally brethern, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest,whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue and if there be any praise think on these things."

In other words, there are enough things that God has made for our pleasure than to delve into " the mysterious and unknown" things, not authored by Him.

------------------
"Keep "the" faith, BUT pass it around !    

Brother Laurie

[This message has been edited by Laurie Mosher (edited 04-04-2006).]

Keep "the" Faith,  Brother Laurie

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Suggest a New Topic
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 11:12:00 PM »
If there is a topic that is not already open, please suggest it here
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Suggest a New Topic
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 02:35:00 PM »

knightwithdignity

• http://au.geocities.com/norm_and_tina/index.html
Suggest a New Topic
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »
Life of Christ

whatever happened to the timeline of the ministry of Jesus that you were working on

Allan F

Suggest a New Topic
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 12:06:00 PM »
One of the major challenges to unity in our church and among other christians is the interpretation of the central idioms that is used to explain the gospel. One of the classical and most dividing idiom is the expression "under the law". People use this expression to proove that we are not to keep the law after the cross. Maybe we can find out how the Bible explains this phrase?

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Suggest a New Topic
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 04:44:00 AM »
KWD: regarding the timeline of Jesus ministry - there is an excellent very detailed chart I am trying to relocate - found it a few years ago put out by one of our SDA brethren. Will advise as soon as it is located.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Suggest a New Topic
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 12:53:27 PM »

Tim2

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 06:34:06 AM »
What is God's idea of true unity?  Not everyone sees truth the same way.  Not all words mean the same thing to every person.  For this reason, God's plan is to bring a variety of backgrounds, personalities and diverse minds to His vineyard, so that all nations, kindred, tongues and peoples will be reached.  Sometimes we think because a person does not word the Gospel in the exact same way we do, it is suspect of being a false gospel.  Here are some EGW comments to think about.

Unity in Diversity

God's Plan in a Diversity of Gifts.--In all the Lord's arrangements, there is nothing more beautiful than His plan of giving to men and women a diversity of gifts. The church is His garden, adorned with a variety of trees, plants, and flowers. He does not expect the hyssop to assume the proportions of the cedar, nor the olive to reach the height of the stately palm. Many have received but a limited religious and intellectual training, but God has a work for this class to do if they will labor in humility, trusting in Him.--Letter 122, 1902. {Ev 98.3}

Characters as Varied as the Flowers.--From the endless variety of plants and flowers, we may learn an important lesson. All blossoms are not the same in form or color. Some possess healing virtues. Some are always fragrant. There are professing Christians who think it their duty to make every Christian like themselves. This is man's plan, not the plan of God. In the church of God there is room for characters as varied as are the flowers in a garden. In His spiritual garden there are many varieties of flowers.--Letter 95, 1902. {Ev 99.1}

Diverse in Mind and Ideas.--Diverse in mind, in ideas, one subject is to bind heart to heart--the conversion of souls to the truth, which draws all to the cross.--Letter 31, 1892. {Ev 99.2}

Special Talents for Special Work.--One worker may be a ready speaker; another a ready writer; another may have the gift of sincere, earnest, fervent prayer; another the gift of singing; another may have special power to explain the Word of God with clearness. And each gift is to become a power for God, because He works with the laborer. To one God gives the word of wisdom, to another knowledge, to another faith; but all are to work under the same Head. The diversity of gifts leads to a diversity of operations; but "it is the same God which worketh all in all." 1 Cor. 12:6. {Ev 99.3}

The Lord desires His chosen servants to learn how to unite together in harmonious effort. It may seem to some that the contrast between their gifts and the gifts of a fellow laborer is too great to allow them to unite in harmonious effort; but when they remember that there are varied minds to be reached, and that some will reject the truth as it is presented by one laborer, only to open their hearts to God's truth as it is presented in a different manner by another laborer, they will hopefully endeavor to labor together in unity. Their talents, however diverse, may all be under the control of the same Spirit. In every word and act, kindness and love will be revealed; and as each worker fills his appointed place faithfully, the prayer of Christ for the unity of His followers will be answered, and the world will know that these are His disciples. . . . {Ev 99.4}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 08:14:59 AM »
"Harmonious effort" to do what? Preach the gospel as it is in Jesus. What God has given to one is not given to another for the reasons stated in your quotations. We are as varied as the flowers of the field. Scriptural unity so often spoken of appears to be in unity of doctrine rather than the manner of its presentation to others. What one may be willing to hear from me, they cannot hear nor bear it from Richard, or you, or Jim or Wally. Sister Dee may be able to reach someone I cannot reach because of her gifts and experiences, to say nothing of differing personality traits. 

Varied characters spoken of in your quotes mean to me "personalities" rather than the character we are to have which mirrors Christ. It makes sense that is the meaning of her use of that particular word relative to varied gifts within the church. As varied as we are, unity Scripture points to is that of doctrine.

I never want my right arm to outshine or take over my left because it is stronger and because it can. It has to work in harmony with my entire body to be effective. It must defer to the whole to be a harmoniously functioning agent. That is how the body of Christ must also work. Every one has their appointed task and if they are abiding in Jesus, they will know what that is and can contribute in harmonious effort to the whole body of Christ.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 08:55:47 AM »
The subject of "diversity" is not only interesting but important. Satan has used the subject to bring division and to over-ride Bible truth. Culture is seen as more important than Christian values. We have a discussion Unity Amid Diversity in the Worship Forum where we can continue the study.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 05:06:24 AM »
We do not have a topic in this board for "Fruits of the Spirit." I would like to participate in a study on them.

Galatians 5:22, 23:  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,  Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

• When does the Christian receive them?
  • What does obtaining and retaining them have to do with salvation?
  • What does it mean if one is missing?

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 05:30:25 AM »
There was some discussion on this in the first quarter of 2010, in connection with the Lesson Quarterly on the fruit of the Spirit.  Would this new discussion be different or break new ground?

"When does the Christian receive them?"  It's like a fruit tree (the symbolism was well chosen).  Fruit begins to develop as soon as fertilization (conversion) takes place.  The fruit is there, but not yet mature.  It seems to me that it is the same way with the fruit of the Spirit.  There must be room for growth.  An apple the size of a pea isn't edible, and a newly converted Christian may be a bit rough around the edges.  And so we must be patient with each other.  This is where humility, the willingness to learn, and the willingness to forgive come in.

A simplistic answer, perhaps.  It probably needs to fleshed out a bit more.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2011, 05:47:14 AM »
There was some discussion on this in the first quarter of 2010, in connection with the Lesson Quarterly on the fruit of the Spirit.  Would this new discussion be different or break new ground?

Yes, I hope it would break new ground. This would be a new discussion because this subject is so far reaching. I recall the SS lesson and while it was good, I do not believe we covered it as thoroughly as we could. 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 10:50:09 AM »
Bernard,  your request to begin a topic on whether or not Christ is "God" is being considered.  We all here understand that Christ is God.  I understand why some who not of our faith might have need of this discussion, but I don't think we need to respond here. The moderators are looking at your post for consideration.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 11:48:51 AM »
Richard, may we open up a topic on the book "Steps to Christ"? We use the book to give to others, yet seldom is is quoted or discussed among us as a group.

There are some gems I would like to go over.

After you have given it some consideration, please advise. Thank you!