Author Topic: Protestant Principles  (Read 46429 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Protestant Principles
« on: April 02, 2004, 07:21:00 AM »
Many today have little knowledge of world history. For Chrisitans this is a very sad situation. Much can be learned from real history. We learn how God deals with nations.

One of the very important lessons in history is seen in the Protestant reformation. I think it good that we review this great event in world history. The principles of Protestantism are even more important today than when Luther opposed a false system of worship and led God's children back to the Bible.

What do we learn from the Protestant reformation and why is it important today?

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
Protestant Principles
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 08:28:00 AM »
For one thing it can be used as a guide for us. They are wanting to change the history books taking away the good that history can do for us. History has and will continue to teach us so much!

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Protestant Principles
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 04:47:00 PM »
Reading the history of the Protestant Reformation, we learned that the Roman Catholic System brutally persecuted millions of Christians.
Why is it so important today?
We are to "Watch and pray", for strength,  with Christ abiding in us.
 They are getting set up to do the same thing to all who do not accept the mark of the Beast, which is accepting Sunday worship.  When it is our time to say  no to Sunday worship, will we be ready?

[This message has been edited by Ele Holmes (edited 04-03-2004).]

I do not understand ICQ, cookies, UBB, HTML, homepage???

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Protestant Principles
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 08:35:00 PM »
What are the lessons from the Protestant reformation?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Sister Marie

Protestant Principles
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 09:04:00 PM »
One I can think of is that it did not matter that Christians died. They died because they wanted to follow God, knowing they would be brought back to Him at the end.
It teaches us that death does not stop the truth, it makes it stronger.
There are many others, but these are two things I am thinking about right now.

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Protestant Principles
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004, 06:57:00 AM »
Amen Sister Marie....Also  We must be continually in God's grace, "holy accetable unto the Lord".  And I remember reading in Cousels on Diet and Foods, EGW states  that if our bodies are not in self-denial, obedient in health reform, to his statutes, we will not be strong enough to stay on God's side, to take the persecution that may be coming to us.  Is this not correct?
I do not understand ICQ, cookies, UBB, HTML, homepage???

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Protestant Principles
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2004, 08:24:00 AM »
At a time in church history when men such as Wycliffe, Huss, and Jerome had already laid a foundation for reform, Martin Luther came upon the scene. Luther was a man of strong will. His eary childhood training was one that prepared him for the trials ahead.

As a young man he had an earnest desire to be free from sin and to find peace with God. He entered a Roman Catholic monastary, and devoted himself to a monastic life. Here he was required to perform the lowest drudgery, and to beg from house to house. He was at an age when respect and appreciation are most eagerly craved, and these menial tasks were deeply mortifying to his natural feelings; but he patiently endured this humiliation, believing that it was necessary because of his sins.

Every moment that could be spared from his daily duties he employed in study, robbing himself of sleep, and grudging even the time spent at his scanty meals. Above everything else he delighted in the study of God's Word. He had found a Bible chained to the convent wall, and here he was often found. As his convictions of sin deepened, he sought by his own works to obtain pardon and peace. He led a most rigorous life, endeavoring, by fasting, vigils, and scourgings, to subdue the evils of his nature, from which the monastic life had brought no release. He shrank from no sacrifice by which he might attain to that purity of heart which would enable him to stand approved before God. "I was indeed a pious monk," he afterward said, "and followed the rules of my order more strictly than I can express. If ever monk could attain Heaven by his monkish works, I should certainly have been entitled to it. If I had continued much longer, I should have carried my mortifications even to death." As the result of this painful discipline, he lost strength, and suffered from fainting spasms, from the effects of which he never fully recovered. But with all his efforts, his burdened soul found no relief. He was at last driven to the verge of despair.

In this short description of Luther's life as a young man, what can we learn about the teachings of the Roman Church and its failings to provide relief to our brother, Martin Luther?

Sister Marie

Protestant Principles
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2004, 04:02:00 PM »
Yes Sister Ele, That is correct. The things we eat is such a personal thing many are often tempted to think that we can do as we wish in this area as long as it is not unclean. That is a part of it true, but not all of it. We need to eat right in every respect. When we have learned to do this thing which is not at all easy, we will learn what it means to submit. If we have not learned this then we will not be ready at the end.

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

robertsm71

• http://
Protestant Principles
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2004, 04:09:00 AM »
I think we can see from the description of Luther that the church during the dark ages was under the control of a legalistic form of religion, that failed its members in teaching them the way of true peace and holiness.What are some lessons from the reformation, 1. that salvation is wholly of grace and not by works 2. that salvation is not through membership of a church but through the blood of Jesus applied to each individual 3. that the truth is worth standing up for even in the face of conflict, punishment, and death. 4. that we can't rely on the power of any government or state/political power to protect us during the final crisis, as they can't be trusted to stay on your side, 5. that we should not seek the support of the state for our church as it only created more problems as the reformed churches became as intolerant and persecuting to dissenters as was the papacy whom they had fled from. 6. religious liberty is a right not a privilege 7. God leads his people on step by step from darkness to light, he did not give luther all the light at once, but led him gently from the tremendous darkness that enshrouded the world into the glorious light of the gospel. 8.That although God had raised them up, (protestants) and given them their message and work, miraculously preserved them and the word etc through all the persecution they still failed to finish the work, and so many got bogged down in the past and did not continue on in the light, just so we could get bogged down and fail in our work, 9. that even though the reformers often hated each other, and fought among themselves, including lutherans persecuting baptists etc God was still able to bring much light to the world amidst it all, and was able to accomplish much in preparing the way for the final message of mercy to be pronounced under the Remnant Church.

I agree we need to study the reformation more, I am being challenged as I consider all these things that I can learn from my limited understanding of the reformation. I look forward to hearing more from all the rest of you!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Protestant Principles
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2004, 06:31:00 AM »
Amen, Brother Robert. Much to learn as we study how God dealt with the existing wrong attitudes and doctrine. Let us continue that we may benefit from the lessons.  :)

Good to see you again!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Protestant Principles
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2004, 06:44:00 AM »
Has anyone noticed the battle today between "community" and "individual" responsibility?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Protestant Principles
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2004, 07:04:00 AM »
"Community" is a catch word for control. Can we tie this in with the reformation?

Cop

Protestant Principles
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2004, 10:33:00 AM »
Quote:
"Community" is a catch word for control.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Protestant Principles
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2004, 09:46:00 AM »
I don't know, Brother Cop. I don't think so. The term "community" has a very definite intent when used in the religious world. As far as I can see, it began in the Roman Church. They do not approve of the American free spirit which is "Protestantism". They condemn personal responsibility and freedom and point to the church as the only interpreter of Scripture. In this context they have pitted individual freedom of conscience against "community". "I" versus "we". It is a very interesting turn of words.

I don't see the same use of the word "corporate". There may be a misuse of the concept as it is applied to doctrine by some, but I have never felt offended when some have called for "corporate" repentence. I see this as the need for the church leadership to acknowldege their wrong course going all the way back to 1888.  As Daniel prayed for the "church" we need to also. We as a people have sinned against God and misrepresented Him to the world. We must indentify with God's church as well as our own personal sins. This is a proper use of the term "corporate".

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Protestant Principles
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2005, 02:39:00 PM »
A "Protestant" nation with a Roman Supreme Court? Very interesting times that we live in!

Today's Spotlight is an intersting article by Marcus Sheffield on Post-Protestant America.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Protestant Principles
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2005, 08:26:00 AM »
What is the foundation of Protestantism? Most "Protestants" today probably don't know. But, I am sure that there are some reading here that can share with us the basics of Protestantism.

Eleanore Holmes

• Member at Rest
    • http://
Protestant Principles
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2005, 11:25:00 AM »
Protest of the Princes  (GC P.197)

One of the noblest testimonies ever uttered for the Reformation was the Protest offered by the Christian princes of Germany at the Diet of Spires in 1529. The courage, faith,
and firmness of those men of God gained for succeeding ages liberty of thought and of conscience. Their Protest gave to the
reformed church the name of Protestant; its principles are "the very essence of Protestantism."--D'Aubigne, b. 13, ch.

The "image to the beast" represents that form of apostate Protestantism which will be developed when the Protestant churches shall seek the aid of the civil power for the enforcement of their dogmas. . . .FLB 286

When our nation shall so abjure the principles of its government as to enact a Sunday law, Protestantism will in this act join hands with popery.--5T 712

God Bless You
Ele

Cop

Protestant Principles
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2005, 08:26:00 AM »
"What is the foundation of Protestantism?"
---------------------------------------------

Sola Scriptura...a "Thus saith the LORD" for ALL doctrine?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Protestant Principles
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2006, 07:33:00 PM »
Amen and amen!!  Sorry to have missed these posts last year.

The doctrinal truths upon which the reformation was based were "Sola Scriptura" and "Justification by Faith."  

But, the reality of what Protestantism is can be seen no more clearly than through the words of D'Aubigne. "One of the noblest testimonies ever uttered for the Reformation was the Protest offered by the Christian princes of Germany at the Diet of Spires in 1529. The courage, faith,
and firmness of those men of God gained for succeeding ages liberty of thought and of conscience. Their Protest gave to the
reformed church the name of Protestant; its principles are 'the very essence of Protestantism.'"

Sister Ele got to the heart of the matter with this quote. Sadly, we did not get a chance to discuss this with her before she was laid to rest.

Today, so few understand what it means to be a "Protestant".

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Protestant Principles
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2006, 01:06:00 PM »
Does being a Protestant mean that we allow immorality to run rampant in the church? How about in the world? Ought we "force" people to be moral? What is the Protestant course of action in the world?