Author Topic: The Next President Will Disappoint Us!  (Read 19195 times)

Suzanne

The Next President Will Disappoint Us!
« on: August 31, 2008, 04:04:51 PM »
The Next President Will Disappoint Us!

This is an adaptation of an article by Andrew J. Bacevich, in the August 24, 2008 issue of the Los Angeles Times.

There is only so much a chief executive can do. On inauguration day, a new U.S. president is a demigod, the embodiment of aspirations as vast as they are varied. However over the course of the years that follow, the president inevitably fails to fulfill those lofty hopes. So the cycle begins anew, and cmericans look to the next occupant of the Oval Office to undo his predecessor"s shortcomings and usher in an era of lasting peace and sustained prosterity.

This time around, expectations are, if anythihng, loftier than usual. Youthful and charismatic, Sen. Obama casts himself as the standard-bearer of those keenest to fix Washington, redeem America, and save the world. "Yes we can," Obama's anthem proclaims, inviting supporters to complete the thought by inserting their own fondest desire. Yes we can: bring peace to the Middle East; reverse global warming; win the global war on terrorism.

And Sen. John McCain's campaign has been hardly shy about fostering grandiose expectations. Indeed, while most Americans are fretting about the cost of oil, he uncorked one of his patented straight-talking promises: "I'm going to lead our nation to energy independence."

Will the next president actually bring about Big Change? Don't get your hopes up. Regardless of who wins in November, we should temper our expectations on what the new president will accomplish, especially on foreign policy. Actually, presidnets don't make policy; administrations do....

The very structure of American politics imposes its own contraints. For all the clout that presidents have accrued since WWII, their prerogatives remain limited. A President McCain will almost certainly face a Congress controlled by a Democratic and therefore obstreperous majority. A President Obama, even if his own party runs the Senate and House, won't enjoy all that much latitude, especially when it comes to 3 areas in which the dead hand of the past weighs most heavily: defense policy, energy policy and the Arab-Israeli peace process. The military-industrial complex will inhibit efforts to curb the Pentagon's penchant for waste. Detroit and Big Oil will conspire to prolong the age of gas guzzling....If the past provides any indication, advocates of the status quo will mount a tenacious defense.

The limits of American power cannot be ignored, especially in the realm of military affairs. ...The next commander in chief will inherit an intractable troop shortage. The U.S. today finds itself with too much war and too few warriors. That alone will constrain a president conducting two ongoing conflicts.

A looming crisis of debt and dependeency will likewise tie the president's hands. Frankly, the U.S. has for too long lived beyond its means. With Americans importaing more than 60% of the oil they consume, the negative trade balance now about $800 billion annually, the federal deficit at record levels and the national debt approaching $10 trillion, the U.S. faces an urgent requirement to curb is profligate tendencies. Spending less (and saving more) implies settling for less. Yet among the campaign themes promoted by both presidential candidates, calls for national belt-tightening are muted.

And another factor to be considered: The rest of the world doesn't take its marching orders from Washington and won't, no matter who happens to be the new president. Governments will respond to American advice, threats or blandishments precisely to the extent that doing so serves their interests, and no further. This alone sharply restricts what the new administration will be able to accomplish, whether dealing with allies such as Israel and Pakistan or with adversaries such as Iran and North Korea.

The tone and tenor of American diplomacy under either candidate will differ from what we have seen over the last several years, and probably in ways that more nations--and many Amerivcans--will welcome. But no matter how much charisma or straight talk emanates from the White House, the world will remain stubbornly intractable. And in matters of substance, Big Change will remain elusive. The next president will leave his own imprint on U.S. policy. It just won't be nearly as distinctive or dramatic as the most enthusiastic Obama and McCain supporters have talked themselves into expecting. --Andrew J. Bacevich, a professor of history and international relations at Boston University, is the author of the new book "The Limits of Power: The End of American Exceptionalism."

Comments....

Suzanne

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Re: The Next President Will Disappoint Us!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 05:35:33 PM »
It always amazes me that every 4 years so many people are gullible enough to believe what these politicians are saying.  Maybe it's because I'm gettin older and more cynical, but it is pretty obvious that most politicians will say just about anything to get elected.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Larry Lyons

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 07:02:16 PM »
It always amazes me that every 4 years so many people are gullible enough to believe what these politicians are saying.  Maybe it's because I'm gettin older and more cynical, but it is pretty obvious that most politicians will say just about anything to get elected.
I think it is only a matter of time when people will start making jokes about the "Manchurian Candidate." with a running mate who has allegations of ethical problems. Remember Spiro Agnew Nixon's VP who had to resign? For you youngsters,  ;D the Manchurian Candidate was an old movie about an American soldier who was captured during the Korean war, and brainwashed and programmed by the Chinese. He was released and eventually ran for President. I never saw the movie so I can't give the outcome. McCain has some allegations about his behavior as a prisoner of war that if  allowed to get out will destroy any hero image he has left, and
Palin has some ethics problems that are being looked at. Her biggest problem is competance. People who supported her in Alaska say she is no where near ready to take over as president.

This is the oddest and perhaps the worst group of people to ever run for president. Of course I read that even a majority of the Republicans in the House and the Senate agree that Bush ranks among the worst presidents in US history. So I guess there is nothing new among this group after all.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »
It always amazes me that every 4 years so many people are gullible enough to believe what these politicians are saying.  Maybe it's because I'm getting older and more cynical, but it is pretty obvious that most politicians will say just about anything to get elected.
I think it is only a matter of time when people will start making jokes about the "Manchurian Candidate." with a running mate who has allegations of ethical problems. Remember Spiro Agnew Nixon's VP who had to resign? For you youngsters,  ;D the Manchurian Candidate was an old movie about an American soldier who was captured during the Korean war, and brainwashed and programmed by the Chinese. He was released and eventually ran for President. I never saw the movie so I can't give the outcome. McCain has some allegations about his behavior as a prisoner of war that if  allowed to get out will destroy any hero image he has left, and
Palin has some ethics problems that are being looked at. Her biggest problem is competance. People who supported her in Alaska say she is no where near ready to take over as president.

This is the oddest and perhaps the worst group of people to ever run for president. Of course I read that even a majority of the Republicans in the House and the Senate agree that Bush ranks among the worst presidents in US history. So I guess there is nothing new among this group after all.

Excellent points.  But, I'm not convinced that Sarah Palin is any less qualified than Jimmy Carter--a Washington outsider, and governor of "Jarjah" at the time, or Dan Quayle (a second term senator who had more experience than Barak Obama), when he was chosen VP.  For that matter, in my lifetime, there have been only 2 president who were not first governors or vice presidents first:  Eisenhower (Commander of Allied Forces in WW II, for you young squirts out there), and Kennedy (he came directly out of the senate).  Before that Truman was a VP first, and Roosevelt (who was not in my lifetime  ;D ) was governor of New York (for only one term).  So, over a period of 75 years we've had exactly 1 senator elected to be president.  Whoever wins this year will be #2.  As a general rule, governors make better presidents because they actually have executive experience, whereas senators have only legislative experience, which is obviously much different.  

Fortunately God is in control and will overrule everything for the good of His kingdom.

So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Larry Lyons

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 11:33:30 AM »
Wally, at least Carter had administrative and leadership training experience as a naval officer besides being a governor. And they say he worked for peanuts.  ;D  (sorry, that was a pitifully weak joke) Quayle was a fair golfer, that must count for something. It didn't hurt Eisenhower. There were endless jokes about how Eisenhower spent his time. I haven't heard anything about Palin that would even make her qualified for Governor of even our least populated state. Oh yes, Alaska is close to Russia. That gives her foriegn policy and national defense credentials. I read that one of her people actually suggested that. Hard to believe they would be that dumb.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 05:28:28 PM »
Wally, at least Carter had administrative and leadership training experience as a naval officer besides being a governor. And they say he worked for peanuts.  ;D  (sorry, that was a pitifully weak joke) Quayle was a fair golfer, that must count for something. It didn't hurt Eisenhower. There were endless jokes about how Eisenhower spent his time. I haven't heard anything about Palin that would even make her qualified for Governor of even our least populated state. Oh yes, Alaska is close to Russia. That gives her foriegn policy and national defense credentials. I read that one of her people actually suggested that. Hard to believe they would be that dumb.

It's worse than I thought. ::)  Actually, based on my limited observance of politicians over the years, it's not really so hard to believe they could be that dumb.  I guess the question to ask is, were the bars open on election day?  They drink a lot up there, and that could explain her election to the governorship.   :P  Sorry, that wasn't nice, was it?

Were you around when Reagan got elected governor of Calif.?  I was still living there then.  A lot of people said that he wasn't qualified because all he had ever done was acting.  At the time I agreed with them.  But, as I recall, he didn't do such a bad job, and he got re-elected, but then, so did Governor "Moonbeam."  Of course here on the east coast many people think that Calif. is full of flakes and nut cases.  The 9th circuit court of appeals does give one that impression sometimes. ::)  I think you're protected from the lunacy up where you are.

cj

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 10:14:25 AM »
I'd like to affirm the VP choice of Pahlin.   Although, I agree with the fact that we truly have an 'interesting' choice of candidates, I'm impressed with Ms. Pahlin.  I hope nobody is referring to, the fact that she has a pregnant daughter, as reason for extra 'baggage'?   

I've known wonderful parents.....Adventist Pastor's as well, who have been the perfect parents but unfortunately one of their children chose to make the wrong decision and ended up doing something that brought shame upon the family.  This certainly 'should not' cast a shadow upon the parents.  Our dear Ellen made a statement that 'we are responsible for the training of our children but not for their choices'.

I'm impressed at how the Pahlin's are so graciously and lovingly handling this situation.  They put many Christian's to shame.   Time alone will reveal how well she will do as the VP of the United States...if elected.   God alone is guiding the outcome....and that's a 'no-brainer'. - cj

Larry Lyons

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 12:13:07 PM »
I'd like to affirm the VP choice of Pahlin.   Although, I agree with the fact that we truly have an 'interesting' choice of candidates, I'm impressed with Ms. Pahlin.  I hope nobody is referring to, the fact that she has a pregnant daughter, as reason for extra 'baggage'?   

I've known wonderful parents.....Adventist Pastor's as well, who have been the perfect parents but unfortunately one of their children chose to make the wrong decision and ended up doing something that brought shame upon the family.  This certainly 'should not' cast a shadow upon the parents.  Our dear Ellen made a statement that 'we are responsible for the training of our children but not for their choices'.

I'm impressed at how the Pahlin's are so graciously and lovingly handling this situation.  They put many Christian's to shame.   Time alone will reveal how well she will do as the VP of the United States...if elected.   God alone is guiding the outcome....and that's a 'no-brainer'. - cj

As I understand it she is being investigated for abuse of power or something of that nature. She allegedly fired a department head after he refused to fire her former brother in law who worked for the state. She didn't like her ex brother in law. Her husband works for one of the big oil companies, not a plus.  She allegedly promoted a huge, expensive pork barrel project that opponents called "the Bridge to Nowhere," but quickly reversed her position when she was picked for VP. All of that is just typical petty politics that is similar to what happens every day across our nation and in Washington. Her behavior is not unlike the firing of the group of state department attorneys for purely political reasons that former Attny General Gonzales was responsible for. It is just on a smaller scale.

I believe that we will get more of the same if McCain gets in. But I have no illusions about Obama. I see nothing about him that makes me think he is smart enough and wise enough and powerful enough to turn this country away from the self destructive direction it is going in. As far as Biden goes, he is also said to be more of the same.

Regardless of who gets in, we will have the situation that the next two people in line for the presidency will be Roman Catholics. If McCain is elected and he dies or is incapacitated, Palin who is RC will be president and next in line will be Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, who is said to be a very ardent RC. She is said to be close to the RC heirarchy in San Francisco including the head of the University of San Francisco, a Jesuit school. Biden is also a Roman Catholic.

We are living in amazing times. Never before have we seen such a situation. Things are falling into place and prophecy is being fulfilled right in front of our eyes. I have to ask myself, Am I ready? Am I ready to stand firm no matter what? I have to look at the little things in my life. Where am I compromising? Where am I being unChrist like. And I must focus my mind upon Jesus who promises He will to uphold me by His power.

cj

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 01:07:03 PM »
I was wrong about Ellen making this statement....it was Larry Burkett who said "we are not responsible for our children's decisions".   VP Nominee Pahlin has many good things going for her.   The issue that some are worried about, regarding one of her decisions in Alaska, is not an issue at all.  Check it out and you'll see for yourself.  - cj

Larry Lyons

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 02:23:32 PM »
There is bit of confusion about Palin's religious views. She has said she was Baptized as a Catholic, but she has described herself as a "Bible believing Christian." Her home church is an independant congregation in Wasilia where she was mayor (population 5500) and she worships sometimes at an Assembly of God church. She gave a talk at a Pentecostal church in June in which she was quoted as saying that it is God's work that the US troops are doing in Iraq. Also she told the congregation that the new pipeline she is pushing for is God's will and asked the congregation to pray for that. It would be interesting to know if she is also a "Left Behind" fan.

Lewis

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 02:39:29 PM »
We are living in amazing times. Never before have we seen such a situation. Things are falling into place and prophecy is being fulfilled right in front of our eyes. I have to ask myself, Am I ready? Am I ready to stand firm no matter what? I have to look at the little things in my life. Where am I compromising? Where am I being unChrist like. And I must focus my mind upon Jesus who promises He will to uphold me by His power.

Amen Larry!

Colleenhf

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 07:12:10 PM »
I guess the question to ask is, were the bars open on election day?  They drink a lot up there, and that could explain her election to the governorship.   :P  Sorry, that wasn't nice, was it?

As an Alaskan...NO That isn't a nice thing to say regarding drinking.    I think there are many places in the lower 48 that have worse problems with alcohol..and worse yet..drugs. 
Sarah Palin is a courageous woman taking on the oil people the way she has!   She kept a down's syndrome child instead of aborting...I call that also very courageous.
Sarah has more experience than Obama has but putting that aside...
God will place the right candidate in the white house.    I may think I'm playing my part in voting, but in the end...God is in control.
Colleen

Colleenhf

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 07:14:43 PM »

CJ...
very well put!

Lewis

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 07:27:01 PM »
Yes, God is in control and can make something good or positive happen out of something bad. But we can not forget the other side of the coin... so to speak... God does allow those who should not be in office to be in office as well. God is not a dictator and does allow people the freedom to choose and allows sin, rebellion, mistakes and bad decisions to run their course.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 07:45:54 PM »
We must also remember we are held accountable for our votes.

The Lord would have His people bury political questions. On these themes silence is eloquence. Christ calls upon His followers to come into unity on the pure gospel principles which are plainly revealed in the word of God. We cannot with safety vote for political parties; for we do not know whom we are voting for. We cannot with safety take part in any political schemes. We cannot labor to please men who will use their influence to repress religious liberty, and to set in operation oppressive measures to lead or compel their fellow men to keep Sunday as the Sabbath. The first day of the week is not a day to be reverenced. It is a spurious sabbath, and the members of the Lord's family cannot participate with the men who exalt this day, and violate the law of God by trampling upon His Sabbath. The people of God are not to vote to place such men in office; for when they do this, they are partakers with them of the sins which they commit while in office.  {FE 475.2}
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Lewis

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 07:51:52 PM »
We must also remember we are held accountable for our votes.

Amen Sybil. I was thinking about that also, but old age is creeping in. I am glad there are others who are right there to remember these counsels we have been given. I am also kind of seeing in a couple of the candidates... not that I have been keeping up with every detail... but how ecumenism will/could become stronger.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 07:58:10 PM »
That's right, Lewis. Christians cannot choose the lesser of two evils and stand guiltless before God. And because we all have the right to vote doesn't always mean we should.

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 08:14:45 PM »
In this election, I'm not sure if there even is a "lesser of two evils."  :-\
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Suzanne

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 09:40:04 AM »
When we vote for "the lesser of two evils," what we get is "the evil of two lessers."

Actually, for many, many years I have not voted for a candidate of either party--in the national elections as well as local elections.  I do vote on the various issues that are on the ballot.

Thanks Sybil for the SOP quote. This is exaxctly the situation we have, where the political candidates will say anything to get elected then when in office seem to follow their own agenda or what is expedient. 

Our country needs much prayer!

Suzanne

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 10:40:45 AM »
Amen, Suzanne. I have voted issues for years.