Author Topic: Impending Disaster? Gustav a Cat 5 Hurricane and Ike Follows  (Read 7585 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Impending Disaster? Gustav a Cat 5 Hurricane and Ike Follows
« on: August 30, 2008, 11:16:22 PM »
The government's disaster relief chief says Hurricane Gustav is growing into a monster Category 5 storm.

The storm that hit Cuba Saturday could reach landfall along the Gulf Coast by early Tuesday.

Federal Emergency Management Agency chief David Paulison told reporters several times at a briefing Saturday that the storm was strengthening into a Category 5 hurricane.

FEMA officials said Bill Read, the director of the National Hurricane Center, interrupted an afternoon teleconference involving the agency, Gulf Coast states and the National Weather Service to say he is going to issue a special advisory statement raising Gustav to Category 5. That means winds greater than 155 mph and a storm surge greater than 18 feet above normal.
  source

Fires in California, terrorists in NY, and now will New Orleans be re-visited? Judgments are in the land.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
Re: Impending Disaster? Gustav a Cat 5 Hurricane
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 04:39:38 AM »
You can track the storm, or any hurricane, at the National Hurricane Center.

When Katrina hit, the French Quarter largely escaped. That is the area where the infamous Bourbon Street  with its vile debauchery is located. This storm may well finish what Katrina missed. BTW, a woman from NO lived here for awhile, but, unable to sell her house in NO, returned there several months ago. Let's keep these people in prayer.

corrected some grammatical errors
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Lewis

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 03:34:06 PM »
The Weather Channel and CNN is reporting between 7 and 10,000 who would not leave New Orleans even though mandatory evacuations have almost been completed. The retired general in charge of cleanup after Katrina/Rita is very irritated that these people will have to be mapped so they can be rescued if need be after this thing hits. I don't blame him.

The RNC is being abbreviated because of this impending disaster. That is a blessing in and of itself.

For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 05:41:54 PM »
When will they finally decide that New Orleans isn't worth rebuilding?  Does it make any sense to try to salvage a city that is below sea level, and in danger of major flooding every hurricane season?  The only surprise is that what happened 3 year ago didn't happen sooner.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Larry Lyons

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 06:27:27 PM »
The Weather Channel and CNN is reporting between 7 and 10,000 who would not leave New Orleans even though mandatory evacuations have almost been completed. The retired general in charge of cleanup after Katrina/Rita is very irritated that these people will have to be mapped so they can be rescued if need be after this thing hits. I don't blame him.

The RNC is being abbreviated because of this impending disaster. That is a blessing in and of itself.

I worry that Bush is not out of office yet. What kind of major event would it take to cancel the election and impose martial law? People have expressed this fear for at least a couple of years. I know that God is in charge and take comfort in that.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 06:56:07 PM »
Larry, that concern lingers. Many fear even to discuss that possibility.

Wally, just after Katrina I received a phone call - a survey from some group asking questions relative to just that. "Should New Orleans be rebuilt?" They asked that same question seven different ways and I answered the same for all of them - "No. Why spend tax payers' money to rebuild a city, any city, that lies below sea level and will always be at such high risk?"

If the world is so bent upon having New Orleans, move it to higher ground - any ground except that upon which it sits. Billions of dollars are spent in trying to defend a natural swimming pool. Let the ocean reclaim it.   

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 09:30:03 AM »
Larry, that concern lingers. Many fear even to discuss that possibility.

Wally, just after Katrina I received a phone call - a survey from some group asking questions relative to just that. "Should New Orleans be rebuilt?" They asked that same question seven different ways and I answered the same for all of them - "No. Why spend tax payers' money to rebuild a city, any city, that lies below sea level and will always be at such high risk?"

If the world is so bent upon having New Orleans, move it to higher ground - any ground except that upon which it sits. Billions of dollars are spent in trying to defend a natural swimming pool. Let the ocean reclaim it.   

If only common sense would prevail.   ::)

I'm a bit skeptical that Bush would dare to remain in office, no matter what happens, given his extreme unpopularity.  During our last major crisis (WW II) elections went on as normal, as they did in the previous major crisis (the Civil War).  I don't consider Sept. 11, 2001 a major crisis, when compare to the 2 world wars and the civil war.  It was a shock, but was limited to 2 cities and 4 airplanes.  Now, if we were to get into a major conflict with Russia that could change the dynamics, but our system is designed so that unless the country is nearly destroyed I'm not sure they would cancel elections.  The US will fulfill its prophetic destiny, and to be able to speak like a dragon it must still have a fair amount of clout.  National ruin doesn't occur until national apostasy takes place in the form of a national Sunday law.

But, then, I make no claims of expertise in these matters.  That's just how I see it from my limited perspective.  I'd be interested in other perspectives of those who have a better handle on national and international affairs then I do.  But, just to muddy the waters a bit, I would like to point out that virtually no one foresaw the fall of the Berlin Wall (and thus, the Iron Curtain) and the demise of the Soviet Union, both of which happened rapidly (does that word sound familiar?).  Hard to believe it's been almost 20 years (you youngsters out there wouldn't understand  ;)).
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 10:59:22 AM »
God is longsuffering. Cat 5 has not materialized. The winds are being restrained, even in New Orleans, San Francisco, Oakland, Sydney, Paris, and Rotterdam.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 07:01:56 PM »
At this hour seven U.S. deaths are reported (CNN). Iniquity has been spared once more.

Only by being clothed with the robe of Christ's righteousness can we escape the judgments that are coming upon the earth. Let all remember that these words were among the last that Christ gave His disciples.

I was shown that the judgments of God would not come directly out from the Lord upon them, but in this way: They place themselves beyond His protection. He warns, corrects, reproves, and points out the only path of safety; then, if those who have been the objects of His special care will follow their own course, independent of the Spirit of God, after repeated warnings, if they choose their own way, then He does not commission His angels to prevent Satan's decided attacks upon them.  {LDE 242.1}
     It is Satan's power that is at work at sea and on land, bringing calamity and distress and sweeping off multitudes to make sure of his prey.--14MR 3 (1883).  {LDE 242.2}
     God will use His enemies as instruments to punish those who have followed their own pernicious ways whereby the truth of God has been misrepresented, misjudged, and dishonored.--PC 136 (1894).  {LDE 242.3}
      Already the Spirit of God, insulted, refused, abused, is being withdrawn from the earth. Just as fast as God's Spirit is taken away, Satan's cruel work will be done upon land and sea.--Ms 134, 1898.  {LDE 242.4}

Three more hurricanes are brewing.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 08:20:57 AM »
God is longsuffering. Cat 5 has not materialized. The winds are being restrained, even in New Orleans, San Francisco, Oakland, Sydney, Paris, and Rotterdam.

Longsuffering even with us, Richard! Topics such as this one let us know God gives us many chances to repent, turning from our sinful ways. There isn't a person on this forum who watches such catastrophic events without a heavy heart for those who Satan wishes to claim - yet God held the winds and spared once more. That is love and we rejoice that millions will have a little more time added to their probation.

Only He knows when any city or person has filled up their cup of iniquity, passing that point that there will be no repentance. In the meantime, there are warnings going out from every corner to be aware of the "Signs of the Times" in which we live. Even the secular know "something is up." We pray for those whose hearts are still open to come to Him who can save them.

Matthew 24 is quickly coming to fulfillment.   

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 08:37:48 AM »
I want to add a post script to this because of how this hurricane and Katrina affected people close to me:

Much of my extended family come from Louisiana and Mississippi. Many were slave owners in the last century or two. Many are existing racists. Many know of the Sabbath and God's call to observe it, yet they don't. Many have great estates and thousands of acres of planted fields that just got wiped out from this storm, yet they cannot fathom that the judgments are in the land and that Jesus is "even at the door." Their continued refusal to have any change of heart regarding their closely held beliefs, which includes hating their brother, is so incredibly sad.

Our family came into our religion through this group of family members - the ones who received literature and bought the first Great Controversy our family owned from Dr. Singletary from The Morning Star as it made its way down the Mississippi River in the early 1900s. They are not ignorant of the Sabbath and not ignorant of the fact that they are racists. Most everyone around them have the same thoughts and opinions and they have gone along with them.

How much longer God will suffer them is anyone's guess. Only He knows what else it will take to get their attention. They have had great light at their disposal, yet it sets on a shelf or has been trashed for "something better." This is heartbreaking.    

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 12:22:17 PM »
Very sad. Yes, the South still has religious hypocrites. I was just talking with a couple who came from Alabama. They are in their early sixties so they experienced a lot. The churches are part of the problem. :(

I also read for my devotions the result of King David's sin. God did not intervene to stop the results of his sin. Take a look at what happened to his sons as a result of his sin. David was sincerely repentant, but it did not stop the sorrow that came as a result of his sin. Those who continue in sin, even though they repent will have a sorrow to bear.

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 05:13:51 PM »
I was watching the weather regarding hurricane Ike. Though it is a category 2, it is predicted to be devastating, especially to Galveston. Wide spread flooding is predicted. Even today, they were showing homes along the Texas coast already flooded and the storm was still miles out to sea. The storm is predicted to make landfall close to high tide, which means a huge storm surge. Houston, a major city is directly in its path. They also predict it will still have hurricane strength winds and rain when it reaches Dallas/Fort Worth.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Impending Disaster? Gustav a Cat 5 Hurricane and Ike Follows
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 11:42:18 AM »
Ike could have been worse, but there is much devastation in the path of the hurricane. The storm surge destroyed many buildings.

Authorities said the hurricane could still prove to be the most punishing storm to hit the area since Hurricane Alicia did 25 years ago. Almost the entire metropolitan area lost power, and authorities said more than three million people were trying to manage in the dark. Utility officials say it could be weeks before power is restored throughout the region.

The magnitude of the power loss and the flooding raised the possibility that several major oil refineries would take more than a week to reopen. As a result, gasoline prices will probably spike around the country, even if oil prices continue to ease on international markets. Overnight, prices rose an average of 5 cents a gallon, to $3.73 for regular gasoline, according to AAA.

source

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 12:39:50 PM »
Ike could have been worse, but there is much devastation in the path of the hurricane. The storm surge destroyed many buildings.

Authorities said the hurricane could still prove to be the most punishing storm to hit the area since Hurricane Alicia did 25 years ago. Almost the entire metropolitan area lost power, and authorities said more than three million people were trying to manage in the dark. Utility officials say it could be weeks before power is restored throughout the region.

The magnitude of the power loss and the flooding raised the possibility that several major oil refineries would take more than a week to reopen. As a result, gasoline prices will probably spike around the country, even if oil prices continue to ease on international markets. Overnight, prices rose an average of 5 cents a gallon, to $3.73 for regular gasoline, according to AAA.

source

Much effort and many resources could have been saved if those who stubbornly refused to evacuate had done so.  Now they need help, and help is not always forthcoming in a timely fashion.  This reminds me of the time before the flood, when ample warning was given and a way of escape provided, but most chose not to avail themselves of the escape route.

Gas prices here in Maine have risen only slightly since last week.  I saw gas as low as $3.52 this morning, and as high as $3.73.  Diesel is acutally cheaper than last week at $4.18.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 01:04:15 PM »
This reminds me of the time before the flood, when ample warning was given and a way of escape provided, but most chose not to avail themselves of the escape route.

Yes, and the lesson to be learned?  The Bible warns of what is just in front of us. Most reject Bible truth and will suffer just as those during the great flood and the today as Ike caught some blindly ignoring the warning that disaster was on its way.

The signs of the times reveal the soon return of Jesus and the destruction that comes prior to His return.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 01:36:05 PM »
Amen. Government and local authorities were furious because of that situation. Now, all the survivors who rode it out wish they had not done it. And there will be a "gnashing of teeth." God help us.

Cop

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 07:30:17 PM »
I, my wife and a friend drove through Galveston and to the East along the coast to Port Arthur several months ago. There is still destruction that will never be repaired. Sea water came inland for more than 30 miles from the Gulf. Many still are living in tents and their vehicles because their homes were destroyed. Tens of thousands of cattle were killed and there are carcasses hanging in trees 20 ft. up.

Human remains are still being found on islands and in the marshes today even though official searches ceased back in January. Many are missing, including entire families, and will never be found. Entire towns East of Galveston have disappeared.
My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me....That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."
— Stonewall Jackson