Author Topic: Deer, Aren't They Sweet!  (Read 39596 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Deer, Aren't They Sweet!
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 03:01:50 PM »
Pheasant story thrown in here:

Husband and I were driving home from a trip and unfortunately we had just turned westward into the sun and it was blinding. The trip was long, 14 hours, and we were exhausted. All of a sudden, out of absolutely nowhere our windshield shattered into a million pieces - like an explosion for no apparent reason - and we found ourselves staring into an open space at 80 miles an hour. We were grateful for sunglasses.

Husband stopped the car. His face was cut from flying glass and the bird was in the front seat with us. We had to drive the rest of the way home with no windshield. It was awful! 

At the time I was still designing clothing, so I plucked the bird and trimmed the sleeves and hem of a new dress in pheasant feathers.  ;D
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Sherwin

• Keeper of Bees
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 04:24:55 PM »
Making the most of a bad situation eh?  Surprised a pheasant would break the window, but at 80 MPH....

A few years ago a car hit two deer at once in front of our house, killing one and wounding the other which I then put out of it's misery. The guy didn't have insurance and the car was a clunker, it was still drivable. So we tossed the deceased in his trunk and he took them home, said he figured he was coming out ahead. Of course that is illegal to do.

rs

Husband and I were driving home from a trip and unfortunately we had just turned westward into the sun and it was blinding. The trip was long, 14 hours, and we were exhausted. All of a sudden, out of absolutely nowhere our windshield shattered into a million pieces - like an explosion for no apparent reason - and we found ourselves staring into an open space at 80 miles an hour. We were grateful for sunglasses.

Husband stopped the car. His face was cut from flying glass and the bird was in the front seat with us. We had to drive the rest of the way home with no windshield. It was awful! 

At the time I was still designing clothing, so I plucked the bird and trimmed the sleeves and hem of a new dress in pheasant feathers.  ;D
Laughter is an instant vacation

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 05:05:14 PM »

One of my customers had a Ruffed Grouse fly through his living room window, destroying window and killing said bird.  One of the truck drivers who delivers to us rendezvoused with a turkey in flight (the turkey was flying, not him  ;D ).  He survived; the turkey and the windshield did not.  It's a dangerous world out there, even before the drivers from Massachusetts share the road with us.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Sherwin

• Keeper of Bees
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 07:34:15 PM »
Story time eh?

Back when I was a businessman our CPA came to our office one morning. One of my partners looked out the office window and started to laugh. Stuck in the grill of the CPA's Bonneville was a rabbit.  Neither the grill or rabbit survived. Critters and cars just do not make for a good combination. I've hit owls, raccoons, rabbits, deer etc. Came real close to hitting a beaver once. What I really hate to hit is a family pet. I know the heartache that can cause. Can't wait for the time when there will be no more death.

rs

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2008, 05:22:17 AM »
What I really hate to hit is a family pet. I know the heartache that can cause. Can't wait for the time when there will be no more death.

Amen to that!! I believe that, that time and place is much closer than most believe. What a day that will be!!

Isa 11:7  And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.
Isa 11:8  And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice' den.
Isa 11:9 They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.

Isa 65:24
  And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear.
Isa 65:25  The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, and the lion shall eat straw like the bullock: and dust shall be the serpent's meat. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, saith the LORD.

Isa 25:8 He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from off all faces; and the rebuke of his people shall he take away from off all the earth: for the LORD hath spoken it.
Isa 25:9  And it shall be said in that day, Lo, this is our God; we have waited for him, and he will save us: this is the LORD; we have waited for him, we will be glad and rejoice in his salvation.

1Co 15:54  So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.
1Co 15:55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

BobRyan

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 05:20:21 PM »
Amen

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2009, 10:38:11 PM »
In an effort to stay on topic, I have moved my reporting of my tomato saga to this topic where it belongs. Last year I lost all my tomato plants. This year, the deer took off. The little twins have grown up and Mom and they disappeared.....until my first two tomatoes turned red!!! That night they pranced in and devoured them and a number of greens ones. That was a couple of weeks ago. Then, a week later the second batch of two were turning red and guess what!!!  They ate them in the middle of the day!!!! :(

So, it is battle number one!! I got my fencing up and a couple of gates surrounding the "red" tomatoes. I also worked up a guillotine just in case they get through my fence and the gates!!!!

Here is my double fence and the red ones. :)

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2009, 10:40:18 PM »
Guillotine  if they get through the fence and the gates!!!

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2009, 10:47:46 PM »
It is interesting that their taste is not altogether unlike some of my friends. Notice they have not eaten my collards, kale, or brussels!!! :)   And you might have noticed the smaller tomato plants?  They have been chewed down. I don't know of anyone who likes the tomato plant itself except for Bucky and Billybob!  They have taken a liking to my tomatoes and the plants!

Tomorrow is the big day!!! We eat our BLTs for dinner!!! :) :)  BTW....those are Beefsteaks!! Each one is a handful!!!  I have waited two years for this day!!!!    :)  :)   Just one more night. Maybe I ought to take my sleeping bag out there tonight?  Naw. A fence, two gates, and a guillotine ought to do it!~~~

Brian M

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2009, 05:38:30 AM »
I know analogies are never perfect, but this came to mind as I was reading about all your work to save those tomatoes. Good thing your tomatoes aren't like us humans. God went and goes through more than that to save and protect us and many of us work our way around his attempts to do that - out into the open and practically beg to be devoured by the Devil. If we would only be content living behind His protection - then when the Devil came to devour, he may be permitted to nibble at the non-essentials, but we would not be consumed.

Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. Psalm 119:18

Vicki

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2009, 07:00:58 AM »
Guillotine  if they get through the fence and the gates!!!

:D

Did the tomatoes survive the night?

Richard Sherwin

• Keeper of Bees
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009, 07:53:18 AM »
I would say the only good deer are dead deer, but then I'd get my wish on the grill of my truck so I won't say it  :)

All I can say is that we need more hunters, at least here in Michigan. If everyone were vegetarian we'd be in trouble. It's almost impossible to grow a garden here without spending a lot of money on a tall fence. I think the guillotine idea is a good one, but PETA would object.

Sister Dee

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2009, 10:52:14 AM »
Tomorrow is the big day!!! We eat our BLTs for dinner!!!

Okay, what's a vegan BLT? 

colporteur

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2009, 08:04:27 PM »
Tomorrow is the big day!!! We eat our BLTs for dinner!!!

Okay, what's a vegan BLT?  

Boca burger, lettuce and tomato ? ;)

I'm guessing it is a lettuce and tomato sandwich. Add some onion, maybe avocado, a little garlic salt and some homemade ketch and they are really good.

They have deer fence that is made out of netting that is cheap and effective. Deer don't plow through fence unless they are pressed. You can just take it down come winter unless you have berry bushes or fruit trees.  

My neighbor has a 5 acre garden. He uses electric fence effectively. It does not have to be that high. He uses several strands and staggers them a part so the deer cannot get through them all without getting buzzed. After a couple of bouts with the wires the deer stays out. I don't know if one is over run with deer how that would work. You might get tired of fixing fence before they all got the message.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Sherwin

• Keeper of Bees
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2009, 03:59:20 AM »
My late father didn't have much luck with a single strand electric fence. My brother who is retired just put in a woven wire fence 4 feet high and then 3 strands of heavy electric another 3 feet up. So far no critters, not even rabbits or raccoons...yet. And it keeps in the grandkids when he needs their help weeding, in his Garden of Weedin.

colporteur

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2009, 06:31:22 AM »
My late father didn't have much luck with a single strand electric fence. My brother who is retired just put in a woven wire fence 4 feet high and then 3 strands of heavy electric another 3 feet up. So far no critters, not even rabbits or raccoons...yet. And it keeps in the grandkids when he needs their help weeding, in his Garden of Weedin.

It takes several single strands strategically placed. Some of the effectiveness of the deer stops depends on the degree of determination of the deer and how badly they want to get in.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Lewis

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2009, 06:45:08 AM »
While running this morning where mountain lions hang out, I scared a baby deer. It jumped up right next to the trail I was on. It was no taller than some of the shrubs and bushes that grow there, and appeared a little wobbly.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2009, 01:48:42 PM »
I thought you were going to tell us you were face to face with a den of lions!! :)   The little ones are sure cute! Aren't they sweet!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2009, 01:56:33 PM »
Vicki, they almost made it!  Sadly one of them got bitten.  The deer could not get any more than one little nibble, though. So, we had our BLTs!!  Sorry, that is BTLs, Sister Diane. Beefstake Tomato and Lettuce. And as cp put it, a little avocado, cashew sour cream, and a touch of salt on sprouted wheat bread!!!  :)     A full meal!!   

Lewis

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2009, 01:59:21 PM »
I thought you were going to tell us you were face to face with a den of lions!! :)   The little ones are sure cute! Aren't they sweet!

I would not stand a chance, but only with the Lords help with lions.

It surely took me by surprise. This little one sure had the spots. I did not look around for the mother. I have seen the older deer plenty of times in the foot hills.

My biggest surprise while running in the mountains was scaring a female elk. This happened during hunting season. I come around this corner, and she was hidden right next to the trail by a pine tree. I heard this very large heavy sound as she brushed the tree in fear. For certain I though I had myself a bear. Fortunately she was running away from me. I would have been squished.

I have had an eagle dive at me above tree line, seen bear, mountain lion prints, fox, coyotes and other things. God has kept me safe.