Author Topic: Deer, Aren't They Sweet!  (Read 39454 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Deer, Aren't They Sweet!
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2009, 02:04:51 PM »
If everyone were vegetarian we'd be in trouble. It's almost impossible to grow a garden here without spending a lot of money on a tall fence. I think the guillotine idea is a good one, but PETA would object.

I used to like vegetarians, but now I see that some of them are just plain trouble. When it comes to my garden, I have grown to like carnivores. They eat the vegetarians!!  :)  Sad, but it is either them or my food!!  

As for the guillotine, notice there are no blades, just forks. I thought maybe I could just pin him down until I could tie him up and ship him out to another state!  For some reason, he just ignored it and stayed on the other side where the red tomatoes are (were).  So, the fence was not high enough. They got used to my tomatoes and now they know what is on the other side of the fence. Just like us, they think the grass is always greener on my side of the fence. Well.....we will have to go higher and higher until they cannot get over. These tomatoes are getting expensive!!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Sherwin

• Keeper of Bees
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2009, 05:56:45 PM »
Well ship them to Hawaii where they can't swim back  :) We have very few carnivores here in Michigan that will take a full grown deer, though I guess coyotes, foxes and bobcats will take a fawn. The main ways of reducing the population are hunters and autos. The deer in our state take out millions of dollars of crops every year, not to mention car wrecks. Some counties here have upwards to 2000 car/deer accidents a year.  The main difference between a deer and a rat is the size. But I will admit the fawns sure are cute.

If everyone were vegetarian we'd be in trouble. It's almost impossible to grow a garden here without spending a lot of money on a tall fence. I think the guillotine idea is a good one, but PETA would object.

I used to like vegetarians, but now I see that some of them are just plain trouble. When it comes to my garden, I have grown to like carnivores. They eat the vegetarians!!  :)  Sad, but it is either them or my food!!  

As for the guillotine, notice there are no blades, just forks. I thought maybe I could just pin him down until I could tie him up and ship him out to another state!  For some reason, he just ignored it and stayed on the other side where the red tomatoes are (were).  So, the fence was not high enough. They got used to my tomatoes and now they know what is on the other side of the fence. Just like us, they think the grass is always greener on my side of the fence. Well.....we will have to go higher and higher until they cannot get over. These tomatoes are getting expensive!!!
Laughter is an instant vacation

Richard Sherwin

• Keeper of Bees
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2009, 06:02:35 PM »
BTW I did see some gardeners the other day working in a garden that the deer absolutely could not get into, because if they could get in those gardeners could get out....of prison.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2009, 08:26:39 AM »
Sin has sure messed things up!!  We still want to feed the poor little things, but with the other hand, I have my slingshot if they want my tomatoes!!  I like Brian's object lesson. As hard as we work to save our tomatoes, God works even harder to save us. And we don't appreciate the work that He has done and still does for us. We, like the deer, just go on eating that which is going to lead to death. Not very smart are we?  But, even though many reject this great love, there are a relatively few who will respond and live for eternity with our Saviour and heavenly Father!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2009, 10:46:34 AM »
Oh! I am steaming! I understand how Richard feels when the deer get into his tomatoes! Over the past several days I noticed my grape vines were sprouting new leaves since transplantation. What joy! Then the next day the new sprouts were gone! Disappeared! Nowhere to be seen! And it happened again yesterday when one was beginning to come out. Gone! What a puzzle!

So, this morning I watched. It's those stupid magpies! They are eating them! And I love the magpies - but not enough to give them my grapevine! So I have had to place chicken wire over the top of them. They are pretty smart - about like Mama Kitty, so maybe the vine will have a chance to survive!  
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Sherwin

• Keeper of Bees
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2009, 06:38:18 PM »
I'm telling you folks, a rifle is a gardeners best friend.  :) The farmers around here follow the 3 S's rule. Shoot. shovel and shut up. I know one farmer who took 50 deer from one field. He had a permit to do so and donated the meat to a food bank.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2009, 08:00:40 PM »
My uncle had a large grape vineyard.  He had a permit to kill deer also. We would go out at night and kill them in the orchard. (I rode along at age 10)

I killed my first deer when I was 12. It was very exciting. He jumped out in front of me and I got him on the first shot. But, he kept going. Down the ravine and up on the other side. Still standing, I shot a couple of more times before he disappeared. I ran down and then up and found him dead behind a manzanita bush. I had seen a lot of dead deer. I had watched many shot and skinned. But, this one was different. When I got to him and looked down, I did not expect to look into those eyes and feel the sorrow that I felt. That was the last deer, or squirrel, or bird that I shot.

Yes, the deer are a problem, just as are the Muslim terrorists and the Nazis in WWII. If I had to shoot someone in self defense or in defense of anther, I would do it. But, never will I kill an animal unless it is a danger to another living creature. Deer eat my tomatoes, but they don't eat people or my dog. Sin has made a mess of things. Soon it will be over. The lamb and deer will not be eaten by the lion any longer! And man will no longer kill.

Another thought. There is no need to kill to eat in most places in the world. I am having a hard time thinking of somewhere that it is necessary to kill to eat. But, there may be. If one is unwilling to kill to eat, then they ought not expect others to kill for them. I know some have allergies to some kinds of vegetables, but that is no excuse for killing an cow. An besides, the risk of contracting cancer, CJD, or Alzheimers makes it somewhat important to find one of the foods God designed for humans rather than having to kill an animal.

Interesting how our perspective changes when the Holy Spirit speaks to us. And, you don't have to be a Christian to know what is right and what is wrong.

Sister Dee

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2009, 10:09:11 AM »
Yes, Brother Richard, it is interesting how our perspective changes.  Having not eaten meat for over a year now, it just doesn't appeal to me anymore.  I even get a wierd feeling walking through the grocery store past the meat and thinking about how many animals had to die to fill those cases.  :P  And I'm even starting to feel sorry for the caged up animals when we go to the zoo, too! 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2009, 12:25:30 PM »
It will all change very soon!  :)

colporteur

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2009, 07:16:20 PM »
I have sometimes considered that deer die just the same way people die. The only difference is with their limited reasoning capacity they are not able to have the consolation that there is a loving Creator to take them to heaven. As bad a death is that has to help.

I used to have not a thought about eating meat. Now even the thought of eating animal flesh seems gross. 
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Sherwin

• Keeper of Bees
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2009, 05:27:34 AM »
There is considerable debate in a small city near here about hiring sharpshooters to come in and cull the deer herd. You have those that want to trap them and take them to the country (we don't want them) vs those who are tired of their gardens and shrubbery being eaten. And of course you also have people that like them eating in their backyards, and bird feeders because they are so cute. Interesting comments in the paper for and against.

Larry Lyons

« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2009, 11:37:12 AM »
There is considerable debate in a small city near here about hiring sharpshooters to come in and cull the deer herd. You have those that want to trap them and take them to the country (we don't want them) vs those who are tired of their gardens and shrubbery being eaten. And of course you also have people that like them eating in their backyards, and bird feeders because they are so cute. Interesting comments in the paper for and against.
A similar thing happened several years ago in the SF Bay area. Angel Island is in SF bay and was formerly an army fort and a facility for the quarantine of immigrants like Ellis Island in NYC. There was a deer population that became established there. Some time in the 70s or 80s it became apparant that there were too many deer on the island and they were destroying the native vegetation and the ecology of the island was being damaged. The Forest Service planned to cull the population by simply shooting them. That was obviously the most reasonable and economical thing to do. However the animal rights folks got wind of it and created such controversy that the Forest Service backed down and if I recall correctly, they had to tranquilize them and carry them out via helicopter to be released elsewhere, at the cost of thousands of dollars. In the meantime, society kills more food animals probably every few seconds than the number of deer on Angel Island.

There are some very fanatical animal rights people. I knew a woman like that. I told her jokingly that she would probably choose to run over 3 people to avoid hitting a chicken. She laughingly agreed.

Richard Sherwin

• Keeper of Bees
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2009, 06:22:03 PM »
Some of those groups go so far as to be against bee keeping. Never mind that much of what humans eat, from cucumbers to apples are the result of pollination by bees. They really do put animals above humans. I doubt PETA has many true Christians among their ranks. Hopefully.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2009, 08:15:24 AM »
Dead people are at times called John Doe. Well, I have a Betsy Doe. The problem is that she is still alive. She is brazen! I am losing sleep trying to protect my Hibiscus, Euryops, lemon and orange trees, tomatoes, and my beautiful rose bushes. I have chased her all around the neighborhood. Had her trapped and confused. After that chase, I knew she would not come back my way for a long time.  Felt sorry for her. and then.....by the time I got home, there she was by my tomatoes!!!

So, each night when the neighbor's dog barks, I now know it is her. I am up with my slingshot!!! But, I can never find her in my yard! But, often I do find her. Her eyes shine in the dark when the light hits them. I now have allies. My wife did not care much about Betsy Doe.  She did not do all the work in the garden. And as much as she likes tomatoes, I have managed to get her enough that she is not concerned about the Doe. But, that is has all changed. I planted a lemon tree for my wife. It is doing very well. Lots of new growth. It is just by the front door. She has been watching it grow for over a year. Lately Doe has been eating the leaves off the tree. My wife was getting concerned. But, not enough. So, I got a very nice looking lemon and hung it on the tree. My wife was very excited! Her first lemon. Then the next day I removed the lemon from the tree and pointed to all of the leaf damage on the tree. Betsy Doe did it!! Well....now my wife is on my side!!!! She is not sympathetic any longer.

And my neighbor who has been providing refuge for Betsy Doe no longer is happy. Her plants have been disappearing also. So, the battle continues day and night. I have many friends now who are giving me advice on how to deal with Betsy Doe. Last night I was told about a box that has a motion detector and when the deer gets close a jet of water shoots out. I have been thinking that maybe I can hook it up to my slingshot!!

Sister Dee

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2009, 08:43:46 AM »
Brother Richard, I read this the other day and immediately thought of you.  Someone else was having problems with deer and had heard that if you string blinking Christmas lights around your plants it will keep those "sweet" animals away.  Sounds kind of goofy, but it worked for them.  At night, anyway!   :D

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2009, 12:21:46 PM »
Dead people are at times called John Doe. Well, I have a Betsy Doe. The problem is that she is still alive. She is brazen! I am losing sleep trying to protect my Hibiscus, Euryops, lemon and orange trees, tomatoes, and my beautiful rose bushes. I have chased her all around the neighborhood. Had her trapped and confused. After that chase, I knew she would not come back my way for a long time.  Felt sorry for her. and then.....by the time I got home, there she was by my tomatoes!!!

So, each night when the neighbor's dog barks, I now know it is her. I am up with my slingshot!!! But, I can never find her in my yard! But, often I do find her. Her eyes shine in the dark when the light hits them. I now have allies. My wife did not care much about Betsy Doe.  She did not do all the work in the garden. And as much as she likes tomatoes, I have managed to get her enough that she is not concerned about the Doe. But, that is has all changed. I planted a lemon tree for my wife. It is doing very well. Lots of new growth. It is just by the front door. She has been watching it grow for over a year. Lately Doe has been eating the leaves off the tree. My wife was getting concerned. But, not enough. So, I got a very nice looking lemon and hung it on the tree. My wife was very excited! Her first lemon. Then the next day I removed the lemon from the tree and pointed to all of the leaf damage on the tree. Betsy Doe did it!! Well....now my wife is on my side!!!! She is not sympathetic any longer.

And my neighbor who has been providing refuge for Betsy Doe no longer is happy. Her plants have been disappearing also. So, the battle continues day and night. I have many friends now who are giving me advice on how to deal with Betsy Doe. Last night I was told about a box that has a motion detector and when the deer gets close a jet of water shoots out. I have been thinking that maybe I can hook it up to my slingshot!!

Welcome to the club, Richard. ;D  We have a doe with 2 fawns that comes out in broad daylight within 25' of the house.  My wife wages an ongoing battle to save her flowers.  The only thing that saves our vegetable garden is the electric fence.

Have you tried a motion sensitive sprinkler?  That seems to work well, but we've disconnected it because it was using too much water.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2009, 06:14:03 PM »
"Last night I was told about a box that has a motion detector and when the deer gets close a jet of water shoots out. I have been thinking that maybe I can hook it up to my slingshot!!"

You see, I am moving past the water bit!!!

Thanks, Diane. I think you hit the nail right on the head as you laughed. But, you know one nights sleep would be worth it!!  :)

Actually the radio is still working in the back yard. When it is on, she seems to stay away. It is getting hard to tell because she has damaged so many plants that it is not easy to see what she is eating any more. The tomatoes, I can tell!!!  The fences seem to keep her out unless we are gone for an extended period.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2009, 05:39:05 AM »
Richard, I am so sorry that deer is such a menace! Yours is the worst case I have ever seen! Are you sure a sling shot and your other methods is enough? How about trapping or a .22 sprayed on the hind quarters?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2009, 06:23:38 AM »
Do you mean buckshot in a 22? I do know some who have taken buckshot to the bears. That worked. The bear did not come back to their front porch.

I keep thinking she will wake up one day and think it is not worth it. But, I think I have it backwards. One day I am going to wake up and realize I need more sleep and give up. But, not yet. I saw an alarm the other day. It has a infra-red beam that tells you when someone enters your driveway. It is wireless to an alarm in the "bedroom". :)  Yes, no more getting up at all hours to go hunting. I can sleep until Betsy comes calling. Then......

My only concern is that sooner of later (sooner probably), she will identify that alarm as the problem and when she hears it go off, she will take off. By the time I am dressed and sligshot ready, she will be gone. I guess I can start sleeping with my pants on. :(  I have also thought about putting my sleeping bag at a strategic location so that I will be ready for her when she begins eating. One night I could actually hear her chomping on my Hibiscus.  My concern now is that she has discovered my Photinia.  I have 30 lining the road for privacy. They are just little guys now, but are growing nicely. Or were growing nicely. They had a lot of new growth as I was hand watering to keep them moving along. Well....now she just goes along the road and nibbles away on each one. I have covered my citrus with poultry netting. And, I guess I am going to have to do the same to the Photinia.  30 cages! The Myers' home, Fort Knox!!!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2009, 06:43:32 AM »
Poor man! Yes, buck shot in a .22 !!