Author Topic: Deer, Aren't They Sweet!  (Read 39460 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Deer, Aren't They Sweet!
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2009, 07:17:00 AM »
I am blessed!! Who else has such attention from such sweet creatures!!  I get a lot of exercise. I am up early! I am learning new things! 

I will admit that the deep tracks in my newly planted lawn are a little frustrating!  They are not a few.

On the other hand, when I spend more time in prayer about these creatures, it seems to help greatly. Maybe my effort has been in the wrong direction?  When I thought that my efforts were succeeding, maybe it was God that was constraining these gentle animals?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2009, 03:06:41 PM »
Success!!!  I am not counting my lemons before they are harvested, but.....the infrared warning device did as I thought....I think.

I slept soundly last night. I did not keep waking up looking out the window for Betsy. Until....the alarm sounded. Quietly I got my slingshot....opened the door....and no Betsy.  When the alarm sounded, it did so twice in quick succession. I think...no, I know she heard the high frequency alarm even though I had it covered to dampen the sound. I think it caused her to depart quickly. No hoofprints on my lawn!!!

So....how long will it work? How long before she gets smart and figures I will sleep through it because she is "always" gone? Well...I will continue to get up when it goes off. For awhile.We will see who wins out!!!

My grass is growing!!!! And the lemon tree has a lot of new growth. The large tree that is not locked up in protective custody!  The photinias are outside the protective alarm, so I still have to decide what to do with them. But, a half nights sleep is quite an improvement!!!  Of course I also prayed to God to keep her away. :)
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2009, 04:06:27 PM »
YAY!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2009, 09:14:01 PM »
Now when the alarm goes off, she knows I am coming!!!  So, she comes, eats, and then runs!!

We have learned a lot that many before me have learned.  My deer do not eat Oleander, Vinca, Zinnia, Marigolds, Belladonna Lillies, and Lantana.

They do eat citrus leaves, Photinia, roses, gazania, Euryops, Hibiscus, and about every thing that is nice!!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2009, 04:14:44 AM »
I don't know who I feel sorrier for: you or Betsy.  :'(  Maybe a guard dog is the answer?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2009, 08:02:47 PM »
The fall grass is coming in nicely and the deer disappeared....until today.  My neighbor reported seeing seven, yes seven in front of my house!!! Seven!!!  Betsy has invited her friends to dinner, breakfast, and lunch!!!  My photinia was so pretty with the new young red shoots growing nicely! They still are pretty, but not for long! Unless I can actually hit one of them....Betsy and friends. I found them tonight while driving down our road. They just looked at me. When I got out of the car, they took off and when I yelled at them, they ran faster than a speeding bullet, all seven of them. I had only seen three, but when I yelled at them, the others took off also.  I think the greenery kept them away until now. Betsy remembered the roses and lemons! It was too much for her to resist. So, here we go again!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2010, 12:12:19 PM »
Its that time of the year again!  Betsy and friends are in the yard. Woke me up early this morning.  I have installed three driveway alarms. So when they arrive, I know it. When I am gone, then think the alarm means I am coming. And....they do not like me.

They do not know it, but I am more heavily armed. My last trip to the mountains resulted in a bb-gun for defense. It may be more accurate than my slingshot. (I never ever hit them with it).  Now, I don't have to worry about hitting them in the eye.  It ought to sting a little, or at least let them know that there is a connection between the alarm and getting "touched" on the rear.   So far the alarm is working and they think I am coming, so they keep on moving right out of the yard.

And then on the other hand, I pray more so I won't lose my trees, tomatoes, roses, etc. etc.   Maybe God is doing most of work with my feeble little effort doing very little. Is that not usually the case? Well...maybe always the case!!!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2010, 02:50:50 PM »
I have not seen Betsy and friends for over a month. There seems to be a direct relationship between an event that took place a little over a month ago and my lack of observing any deer. I may be wrong, but I don't think the alarm system is the only reason I still have all my roses and tomato plants.

One  day, Besty and her friend came bounding over the neighbor's fence and into my yard. They did not stay. One went left the other to the right.  A half minute later two huge  St. Bernards came bounding into my yard. They only stayed a moment and were off. I had not seen them before nor after. And neither have Besty and friends come back.

God loves me and will not allow me to be tempted beyond what I can bear. He is the One who has protected my garden. By what means, I am not sure. But, it appears that Besty has a good memory and does not find it worthwhile to visit my roses and tomatoes. There is a whole world out there for her. She does not need my tomatoes. And if some feel sorry for her, then she has some who will let her devour every rose, tomato, and many other living plants God gave for our  blessing. I am happy she  is elsewhere. Yet, I must remain vigilant and continue to pray that God protects my garden. Prayer works!

Vicki

« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2010, 05:46:53 PM »
 :)

I am happy you can enjoy your garden in peace...finally!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2010, 09:44:16 PM »
Thank you, Vicki. It has been a long hard fought battle. I should have begun praying sooner and harder. How often have I said that!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2013, 11:03:15 PM »
Here is the 2013 deer report!

So far, the Photinia not behind the fence have been eaten back.  The grape vines almost all were devoured early on, and then the grapes were eaten, all but the vines that were on the fence that keep the dogs penned.   :)  Good dogs. That was about 14 vines that fed the poor hungry deer.

Then, entering the front yard, they proceeded to eat my roses, but not the roses planted by house, like about three feet from were I sleep!!  :)  They know it is me.  Then, after eating my roses they enter the garden area. Never before, have they eaten my squash. But, this year, they eat the squash, cucumbers, and the plants.  :(  I have now covered them with wire.

Then we have their prize dinner, the tomatoes.   :)  This year they are so far out of luck. I took my five foot fencing and moved it from the perimeter to enclose my precious tomato plants.  Because the area is not large enough for them to jump into, they have stayed out.....so far. But, that has not stopped them from eating anything outside of the fence. They even got a bite of a tomato inside the fence! :(  The white spot on the tomato is the deer nibble.

Then, the deer proceeded to my newly planted trees. I know I ought to have protected them, but I hoped they would not eat my trees.  The did not eat all of them. They do not like peach leaves. But, they love cherry and apricot leaves. So, I lost one cherry tree and am protecting the other two.

Just love those cute innocent little deer. Actually two of the bucks are pretty good size. Thought about putting out a reward for them dead or alive, but thought better of it when I realized some would actually do it.  :( 

That's it so far for 2013.  So far my tomatoes are looking pretty good! I am thankful!

No one else has a problem with deer! 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2013, 05:42:32 AM »
You are being tested in this area while others are not. Ours are of a different nature.  ;)

Mark W

« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2013, 08:45:43 AM »
Richard, around my parts we have lots of deer, but as well we have farmers that plant hundreds of acres of soy beans around, and deer love soy beans. So, they go feed on them instead of my garden. As well we have green grass year round for them to eat so actually they always have plenty to eat. The only thing they seem to like more then soy beans is sweet potatoes. Some times we have had to persuade them that they were not to be eaten which might not have felt good on their backside, but they got the message. Coons and groundhogs are my worse problem.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2013, 10:46:20 AM »
Yes, I have noticed that my problems are greatest when there is less food available for them. Now, all the grass is dry. All of the ag in our area is not available for deer. Tree crops mostly. My garden is like their favorite restaurant. My neighbors that have gardens, have dogs in the garden. I am not ready for that. But, maybe soon. :(

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2013, 07:25:18 PM »
We have deer all around, too, and we have a dog. Maybe that is why we do not have them in our garden.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2013, 08:39:06 PM »
Interesting you say that, Mimi.  This morning while driving, I was reminded that I have never lost my grapes before. They are on a fence-line that is unprotected. I was wondering why this just began, when I remembered we had a very protective German Shepherd that loved to chase everything.  :)   I know why we have a deer problem now. She ran free, the little dogs are kept in the back yard. She died around six years ago and it took awhile for the deer to realize she is gone. Often we do not realize the blessing we have until it is gone.

Mark W

« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2013, 09:15:17 PM »
Yes Richard you will need to get you another dog. May I suggest something like a border collie. It will not mind rounding them deer up and moving them out. Would all be in a days work ;) And yes they can be a blessing to you its master in more ways than one. Should we start suggesting names ;D

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2013, 10:39:12 AM »
Here is an interesting fence that does not have to be seven feet high.  source

It is a double fence three feet apart and three feet high, with an electrical charge.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2013, 11:00:24 AM »
I have 2 neighbors with that system and they use it to keep horses, goats and alpacas enclosed. It really works.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2013, 08:52:43 PM »
In September the deer got real brave. I guess they got real hungry. Or, they just like my garden better than the lawn next door. They ate my kale, collards, and chard!! Never done that before! And, they worked real hard to get under my fence and steal a couple of my prize tomatoes!!    The dogs did bark, but I decided to sleep on.  :) Well...they do bark a lot when the cats go by.  How was I to know the difference between cats and deer? I found out the next morning! :( 

The good news is.....they have not gotten into my tomato patch!!  God is GOOD!! He provided me with a great crop of delicious tomatoes this year. And, they did not eat my watermelons.  They have eaten my orange flesh and honeydew in the past. They leave the artichokes alone. They have nibbled on my snow peas. They are coming up great except for the corner they ate down. They are unprotected, so I may find them gone tomorrow morning! 

Speaking of vermin, snails or slugs ate my kale and collard seedlings as they came up in a tray. I thought they would be safe, they were on a table. But, they were not. Something to consider when you think your seedlings are safe, but outdoors. Vermin are around every corner!!  And we have not even discussed the human kind yet!